1st Grow - Soil - CFL - High DIY Level

Thanks :) I didn't do all that much to them .. so the credit goes to the ladies :)

The screen is suspended with rope .. so I can raise it as needed. I saw that TheCapn used hight adjustable screens, so I figured that would have a good reason and made mine adjustable as well :p I was just wondering on maybe raising it already, as they seem to grow quite a lot, but I can still find places to tuck leaves and tops .. and raising the screen would mean raising the lamps, which would be not all that good for the lower bud sites ..

I'll update with pics in a few hours, and I'll be probably asking for advice on what to do then :)

The plants are doing fine, except from a few burned tips caused by them exceeding my wildest expectations in the growth department :yahoo:

Taking another close look, I will be fine for a few more days, so the lower braches can catch up with the rest. The stems are funny material. It bends quite a bit and adapts remarkably fast by bending towards the light again, yet once it has, you'll have a hard time bending that spot again without almost supercropping .. amazing plant.

Here are my atempt at an overview, while trying to also show the lower branches reaching up. It's kinda hard to see on these pictures, but the nodes are filling up nicely ^^

Day 37

Plant 1
20140407_230848.jpg

Plant 2
20140407_230950.jpg

Benjamin
20140407_231232.jpg

Any suggestions on LSTing ? I am holding back a bit, untill most branches hit the net .. I'm tucking away fan leaves and using the net here and there to slightly pull branches away by using the stems of the leaves as 'hook'.

I thought I might use the net to LST her to where I want her ? Is that a good idea ? Instead of giving her a lot of vertical room, lead her over the net using LST ?

I'm also thinking about pruning once most branches have hit the net, to minimize wasted energy into producing buds under low-light conditions .. CFL's not being the best at more then a few inches away... anyone have any tips from experience regarding this ?

:thanks: for tagging along all :thumb:

Day 39

I think I might have to repot after all .. if I dont water every day, they're dry .. and water runs through first, then gets soaked back in. I think my rootmass is a little bigger then I had hoped it would be ... any advice on this ?

So far I'm still able to fin places to tuck and weave them .. I attached two LST strings to keep a few braches away from the bulbs, but other then that I can use the net for my LST .. which I like better as it's less work :p

I also, by chance, found that the spiral CFL's I'm using give a higher light reading when placed vertical and keeping the meter under them, then when placed horizontal and keeping the meter under them. Any theories as to why that is ?

Enough rambling, pictures:

Overview of my room:
20140408_233255.jpg

Plant 1
20140408_233335.jpg

Plant 2
20140408_233344.jpg

Benjamin
20140408_233353.jpg

Thanks for tagging along .. any picture requests of stuff you guys would like to see ?

:peace:

Hey planet J lookin great i'm sure you could fit some LST under that net but don't take my word for it i will ask a fellow grower SABO to stop by and give you better info than i can,as he knows quite a bit. Stripping all the lower branches is called lollypopping and they tend to do it while using a scrog/sog net.

It's fantastic how the plants adapt to being man handled i was truley shocked when i was LST'ing' them they would point back up to the light real quick,i tied down some tops on my ladies y/day and withing 2 hrs they were all pointing up again :)

Its funny you mention that with the lights after I read it you can almost see the diff in the lights given if they are the same bulbs.

They aren't :p The vertical bulbs in my pictures, are 6500K bulbs, the horizontal ones are 2700K bulbs. But it holds true for both .. if I place my lightmeter under them as opposed to their sides, it registers more light. So I'm going to rearange those lights and hang them all vertical, bottom down.

Ok I am here and need to catch up. BRB and thanks virgingrower for giving me the link here.

no worries CO

Planet J,COfinest is the guy you want to speak to about scrog/lst ing go look at his monster train wreck in his journal its mahoosive ! lol

i have to go out now so i'll be back later :)
I'm subbed to that thread, and learning as it comes along :) As with your grow and SABO's ;)

Well ok. First off to the short flower time needed is going to not allow you to do some thing's but I will throw some things out there for next time. when your plant gets to three nodes do a topping job on it. Then when they grow out to there first nodes top them too. that now gives you two for the first topping and four for the second topping. Now at that point you move on to the tying. Witch looking at your plant that's all you really had to do. They are not going to have enough time to utilize the scrog net . Reason is the do not have that many bug sites. Tying turns the plant into a bush. Why you may ask? Because the plant is still putting all on your main stems. Now that you topped it it is doing it to the two mains you have made. If you tied it down the plant no longer see any as a main and grows all out equal. I can post one of my YouTube videos that shows what tying down does and I can go make a quick video of what she looks like now if you would like. Sorry for making this post so long.

Thanks CO Finest .. no worries about it being a bit long .. you can write me essays all day long :p

So the screen is nice for LST and branch positioning, but otherwise useless now ? If I manage to bend them down, will that still be usefull, or just stressing the plants for no good reason at all ?

Links to tutorials are always very much appreciated! Thanks for taking the time to catch up!

:peace:

Alright I just did part two to my tying video so I will have it uploaded as fast as YouTube lets me. I put more info in it as well as a update with Monster Train scrog. Please watch the first one to really see what happens after she grows out in the second one

Update ahead, but first:

Alright I just did part two to my tying video so I will have it uploaded as fast as YouTube lets me. I put more info in it as well as a update with Monster Train scrog. Please watch the first one to really see what happens after she grows out in the second one

I'll be sure to watch it tomorrow .. I wont find the time today. I already watched the first one .. du I understand you correctly that the point is to keep all tops at the same level, to fool the plant into spreading it's energy to all of them equally ? If so, does what I did on Plant 1 help to accomplish that ? Thanks for taking your time to help a n00b learn, much appreciated!

Day 40

Amazing how fast this plant grows in just 40 days with the horrible start they had. Truly amazing.

Plant 1

Before LST
20140409_214249.jpg

After
20140409_214748.jpg

Topview
20140409_214813.jpg

Yet Another Angle
20140409_214829.jpg

Plant 2

Overview, nothing to do here, carry on
20140409_214842.jpg

Topview/closeup
20140409_214903.jpg

YAA
20140409_215012.jpg

Benjamin

Overview, nothing to do here, carry on
20140409_215029.jpg

Topview/closeup
20140409_215045.jpg

YAA
20140409_215100.jpg

:thanks:for watchin and any tips, advice or encouragement, it's a joy to do this thanks to you guys :peace:

By the end of week 2 you should defoil everything under the screen. I generally put my main tops on the outside of the screen and let the middle catch up. Some people like to veg the plant into the screen and then flip. I like to LST/ tie/ supercrop my plants and when I get them ready to flip I put the screen in place. That way I am constantly flowering and have no down time. Keep your ScroG even as possible to distribute the light evenly.

Hi there Teldren, thank you for the advice. I'm slowly working the tops to the outside and the smaller and lower branches into the center. The big cfl's are 6500K in an effort to help the lower branches catch up. I might decide to use the net for guiding, but not defoliate, cuz I kinda shot myself in the foot with the short veg time and small pots. I'll replace the 6500's with 2700's in that case and hope it will help :p

Thanks to advice like yours and others who are kind enough to help a n00b out, this will be an invaluable learning experience for me.Thanks a lot, and keep it comming :)

Back
Top Bottom