DocBud's Next Medical Grow

The garden is looking lonely....only 9 plants.
I'm moving into another space, so I'm winding this grow down.

I learned something interesting that those of you who use C02 might find useful:

My plants always took a long time to finish, and I always had fresh pistils, even when the plants should have all been done.....turning off the C02 stopped this from happening and massively increased resin production. From now on, I'm turning off C02 week 6to 8 of bloom, depending on the strain.

This Blue Dream is the best thing I've grown to date.

Here are some pics:
gnats: before and after
IMG_15354.JPG

IMG_15367.JPG

The lonely garden....just 4 Jack herer's growing.
IMG_15297.JPG

Blue Dream. Gonna Harvest on Friday
croppedBD2.jpg

IMG_15343.JPG

IMG_15323.JPG

IMG_15314.JPG

IMG_15307.JPG

IMG_152710.JPG

IMG_152510.JPG

IMG_15244.JPG

IMG_15225.JPG

Thanks potpie my issue is they are already in the sold (FFOF) and sometimes I see the little white larvae come out the bottom when I water.

Doc stuff looks good I wondered about the CO2 thing since most opinions I read say stop it the last 2 weeks of bloom.

I got some snowstorm too. Have you fiddled with the dosing ? Been doing 2 tablespoons to a gallon of water.

What are those sticky yellow cards and where did you get them, never seen them before?

Thanks potpie my issue is they are already in the sold (FFOF) and sometimes I see the little white larvae come out the bottom when I water.

Doc stuff looks good I wondered about the CO2 thing since most opinions I read say stop it the last 2 weeks of bloom.

I got some snowstorm too. Have you fiddled with the dosing ? Been doing 2 tablespoons to a gallon of water.

What are those sticky yellow cards and where did you get them, never seen them before?

I agree about stopping the C02 now.....I was completely ignorant of that practice, but I'm very happy I learned about it. Definitely gave the buds more appeal....not so fuzzy, more dank. Potency and effect are probably not hindered, but bag appeal goes way up.

I usually go about 10ml/gal on the Snowstorm. It's mainly Potassium Hydroxide and I don't want to dose it to my soil too high....the critters might not like it.

Those yellow cards are Whitefly Sticky Traps. Any nursery will have them. They kill a lot of adults before they can lay eggs and they're a great way to monitor what bugs you have and how many.

Doc,

My last plant took for ever to finish. And the current grow is 8 wks flowering and doesn't appear like its a week or two from finish. Is it the CRF's extending the flowering time for some reason?

Doc,

My last plant took for ever to finish. And the current grow is 8 wks flowering and doesn't appear like its a week or two from finish. Is it the CRF's extending the flowering time for some reason?

They take longer to finish with OC+....but they'll yield more.

I think turning off the C02 might help, and turn down the temps a bit, decrease humidity and flush them each watering with cold water if possible.

The garden is looking lonely....only 9 plants.
I'm moving into another space, so I'm winding this grow down.

I learned something interesting that those of you who use C02 might find useful:

My plants always took a long time to finish, and I always had fresh pistils, even when the plants should have all been done.....turning off the C02 stopped this from happening and massively increased resin production. From now on, I'm turning off C02 week 6to 8 of bloom, depending on the strain.

This Blue Dream is the best thing I've grown to date.

Here are some pics:
gnats: before and after
IMG_15354.JPG

IMG_15367.JPG

The lonely garden....just 4 Jack herer's growing.
IMG_15297.JPG

Blue Dream. Gonna Harvest on Friday
croppedBD2.jpg

IMG_15343.JPG

IMG_15323.JPG

IMG_15314.JPG

IMG_15307.JPG

IMG_152710.JPG

IMG_152510.JPG

IMG_15244.JPG

IMG_15225.JPG

Wow...

... ... ...

...Sorry, I just needed a minute... Doc, that Blue Dream looks amazing.:welldone:

Wow...

... ... ...

...Sorry, I just needed a minute... Doc, that Blue Dream looks amazing.:welldone:

LOL. I know what you mean. I have to fondle the plants every time I see them. The buds are crusty there is so much resin....and my fingers have that delicious blueberry/pot smell.

She looks stunning Doc :bravo:

Is that BD from Subcool?

No, this one was bred by my friend. He crossed it with Sour D about 2 years ago.....this one has been back crossed a few times. I popped some of the seeds last July, put a male and female in the same pot outdoors and now have about 1000 seeds, of which you're seeing 5 plants.

It's actually bred to be an outdoor strain.....but seems to do well indoors too. Gonna chop her down Friday.

Ahhhh.... it's all coming back to me now I remember when you did that. 1000 of those should last you a little while lol!

What happened with the Subcool strain you grew? Last I remember is was so frosty you were afraid to test it and I nobly volunteered to do the deed :)

Ahhhh.... it's all coming back to me now I remember when you did that. 1000 of those should last you a little while lol!

What happened with the Subcool strain you grew? Last I remember is was so frosty you were afraid to test it and I nobly volunteered to do the deed :)

I grew two Subcool strains this time:

Third Dimension and Querkle

The 3D is just superb. Great taste, mild smell and flavor, but very pleasant.....and a powerful Sativa dominant effect. This will get anyone high, even the most seasoned, wake n bake stoners. It's bag appeal is great too, dense, colorful buds with unreasonable amounts of resin.

Ditto with the Querkle, although the smell is much more pronounced.....berry like. The flavor is also really good, perhaps the best I've ever had, but that's always subjective and debatable. It has a very powerful more Indica like effect, but not really couch lock.

The querkle quiets the mind and relaxes the body, while the 3D is better for pain relief but tends to keep one wide awake.

I love Subcool strains. I intend to grow them as often as possible. I've got Space Jill coming up.......

I grew two Subcool strains this time:

Third Dimension and Querkle

The 3D is just superb. Great taste, mild smell and flavor, but very pleasant.....and a powerful Sativa dominant effect. This will get anyone high, even the most seasoned, wake n bake stoners. It's bag appeal is great too, dense, colorful buds with unreasonable amounts of resin.

Ditto with the Querkle, although the smell is much more pronounced.....berry like. The flavor is also really good, perhaps the best I've ever had, but that's always subjective and debatable. It has a very powerful more Indica like effect, but not really couch lock.

The querkle quiets the mind and relaxes the body, while the 3D is better for pain relief but tends to keep one wide awake.

I love Subcool strains. I intend to grow them as often as possible. I've got Space Jill coming up.......

Thanks for the recap Doc!

He's just cool period, even his strain names rock. I almost bought the Vortex on 4/20 but my !@#$%^ prepaid master card was rejected. So on 4/22 I used it to buy gas, and after that it was locked up until 5/2 because the gas station didn't clear the payment or something. I'm going to try them sometime though, probably good if I can get more experience growing first.

After successfully copying your hempy/oc+ grow I'm going to try and copy Horse and TwoTokes with some lava rock/coco hempies. I know what you think of coco haha. Only a clone or two to start so I won't lose too much if I screw it up.

How come you're moving? Seems like your place now is a growers lab deluxe. I can only dream of a room like that. Take care my friend :peace:

Thanks for the recap Doc!

He's just cool period, even his strain names rock. I almost bought the Vortex on 4/20 but my !@#$%^ prepaid master card was rejected. So on 4/22 I used it to buy gas, and after that it was locked up until 5/2 because the gas station didn't clear the payment or something. I'm going to try them sometime though, probably good if I can get more experience growing first.

After successfully copying your hempy/oc+ grow I'm going to try and copy Horse and TwoTokes with some lava rock/coco hempies. I know what you think of coco haha. Only a clone or two to start so I won't lose too much if I screw it up.

How come you're moving? Seems like your place now is a growers lab deluxe. I can only dream of a room like that. Take care my friend :peace:

The next room will be even better.....

We're moving because my grow partner is relocating out of state. It makes no sense to stay where we are, due to his leaving.

Doc,

Do you strip fan and big leaves off at any specific time before you harvest? Or do you leave them alone till the end?

I'm of the opinion...based on the botany of marijuana...that the fan leaves are responsible for making most of the plants's food. Each bud has it's own fan leaf for a reason.

So.....I never cut them off. I have trimmed them in half, clone style, when they were so large they were blocking light to the lower half of the plant. That's where I wish I had a vertical bulb.

Here are some pics from today's harvest, Blue Dream, 12/12 from seed, my soil recipe, compost tea, quano tea, epsom salt, sucanat:

The last 4 plants to be grown in this grow room, other than some columbian gold seedlings. Jack Herer in FFOR, OC+, Micronute supplement, Greensand, Bu's Blend Compost.

4 plants, 2000 watts on movers. These plants will have the best lighting of anything I've ever grown.
IMG_15706.JPG

Blue Dream:
IMG_15694.JPG

IMG_15684.JPG

IMG_15673.JPG

IMG_15663.JPG

IMG_15652.JPG

IMG_15644.JPG

IMG_15602.JPG

IMG_15583.JPG

IMG_15573.JPG

IMG_15563.JPG

IMG_15553.JPG

IMG_15534.JPG

IMG_15525.JPG

IMG_15497.JPG

IMG_15484.JPG

IMG_15464.JPG

IMG_15445.JPG

IMG_15432.JPG

IMG_15424.JPG

IMG_15414.JPG

IMG_15404.JPG

IMG_15388.JPG

Nice harvest Doc - that Blue Dream looks amazing. :welldone:

I agree with you on not trimming fan leaves if possible - nice to see that there are still people who aren't trimming leaves like crazy. Seems like these days so many people are trimming their fan leaves here - (not to say they aren't still producing great looking plants). It just makes sense to me that these fan leaves are serving a valuable purpose. I think of them like solar panels providing energy to allow the plant to do it's thing. :)

Beautiful harvest - and good luck when you get your new room going!

Nice harvest Doc - that Blue Dream looks amazing. :welldone:

I agree with you on not trimming fan leaves if possible - nice to see that there are still people who aren't trimming leaves like crazy. Seems like these days so many people are trimming their fan leaves here - (not to say they aren't still producing great looking plants). It just makes sense to me that these fan leaves are serving a valuable purpose. I think of them like solar panels providing energy to allow the plant to do it's thing. :)

Beautiful harvest - and good luck when you get your new room going!

Thanks! Yeah...leaves are important.

Those buds are so frosty Im getting chills just looking at them.

They are the most dense and frosty buds I've grown to date....even more than the 3D and Querkle, which were unreasonably frosty. The buds are going to look fake when dried, like someone sprayed them with something.

Doc I know you're a man of science and reason so I'd like to present the following evidence that fan leaves aren't as needed as one might think:

wwxdp_after_defol_day_45_grp_2.jpg

Xare defoliated on days 21 and 45 of 12/12.

I've spent a lot of time looking into this and I'm a believer. This is a clone sog, you want the plants as close together as possible which defoliating helps, and you want all bud sites exposed to as much light as possible. Lower bud sites that used to be popcorn will be nice and dense.

I'm not suggesting you change what you're doing but I've seen numerous grows where this has worked very well.

:peace:

Doc I know you're a man of science and reason so I'd like to present the following evidence that fan leaves aren't as needed as one might think:

wwxdp_after_defol_day_45_grp_2.jpg

Xare defoliated on days 21 and 45 of 12/12.

I've spent a lot of time looking into this and I'm a believer. This is a clone sog, you want the plants as close together as possible which defoliating helps, and you want all bud sites exposed to as much light as possible. Lower bud sites that used to be popcorn will be nice and dense.

I'm not suggesting you change what you're doing but I've seen numerous grows where this has worked very well.

:peace:

I'm aware of this. Here's my take on it:

1.)In terms of raw biomass, unpruned plants yield more, all other factors (light cycle, veg time, feeding) being equal.
2.)There is difference between useful biomass and total biomass. We're looking to maximize large, dense buds. We throw popcorn into the hashbag....so while decreasing overall yield by pruning, we increase the amount of useful material by doing so.
3.)There is a "happy medium" where quality of finished product and total yield meet for an optimal grow. Reaching this point takes a true expert who has grown a particular strain numerous times.

So, if you pack a bunch of plants together, each plant will have a lower yield, but the sheer number of plants under a single light will make up for the lower per-plant-yield. This is where the 12/12 from seed grow comes into its own....along with other strategies that are designed to optimize useful yield for a single light source. It's all about that happy medium between end product desirability and overall yield.

However, if a person wants to grow the absolute best quality, without much regard for yield, trimming leaves will be kept to a minimum. Lot's of material from such plant will be popcorn and wispy lower buds....but the tops will be superior. It all depends on what you want.

I have a Top Shelf and a Top Shelf (B) production style. The very, very best of the buds are Top Shelf, and the rest are (B). The B's smoke just as well, and are often more pleasant, depending on your personal preferences, but the dankness, the beauty and the bag appeal all goes to the premium tops.

I don't mind wasting a bit of the lower stuff in order to get the finest quality from the tops.

Bottom line, you need leaves to do that.

My current method is to prune branches, not fan leaves. The branches that remain will keep all their fan leaves and will out produce defoliated branches every time.....but they will also take up more space under the grow light.

In my collective, spread out among 4 people we have about 50 years of growing experience, with me being the least experienced person! These guys have done it all......and there are many, many ways to do it!

You just have to choose what you're trying to do.

Gram/watt or premium quality.....those are the extremes....you just have to decide where you want to fall on that spectrum.

There is no "right way" to do it.

Back
Top Bottom