DocBud's Hempy Grow

On a more positive note, I spoke with the person who gave me the clones and he said Flo never smells "right" it always smells earthy. If that's the case, mine's normal....but I can see why this strain isn't very popular. It doesn't smell like it's supposed to. As I've said previously, it does smoke very well, in a peculiar sort of way.

i've heard that Flo (and a lot of other sativas/sativa-doms) typically don't achieve full scent or flavor under HPS. Something about UVB and poly-terpene production, they do best in the Sun or under high-ultraviolet metal halides.

Great grow, sorry i didn't find this until after the fact. Great choice of strains and great outcome. You're a beginner? Could've fooled me.

Here's my idea for a complete lighting package. I'm going to prototype the bracket and give it a try after a grow or two.

AM light 400watt MH or 1-3 large CFL's
PM light Same as AM
Top light 1000watt HPS.

Mounting brackets for typical hoods, tie down for cords, bracket designed for typical light movers.

for a typical 12/12 photoperiod:

AM light on for 1 hour
Both AM and Top on for 5 hours
Both PM and Top on for 5 hours
PM on for 1 hour.

lights14.jpg

Doc you had awesome grow and results!

+Reps! and 5 stars

I was just wondering if you've thought about this lighting scheme anymore before your next. I too think its great to simulate the best of nature. I had some thoughts on this.

I think a light mover like you have would be a great piece, and the lights on the sides are an awesome idea, but I think your schedule might need a rethink.

The reason being that outside, even during dusk or dawn, there is still a basically even amount of light getting to the entire area. In fact this time is called "Magic Hour" in the film world because it gives the best light. It is diffused by the atmosphere.

Unfortunately, unless you use a really powerful light on the sides, with your setup the falloff of the light would be substantial. So I would be worried that when you fire the one up for 1 hour in the morning or evening - the plants near it will feel the light as if its day coming on, but it may not be enough lumens for the other side - falling off and being blocked by the canopy so much that its essentially just creating a gigantic light leak for an hour at the beginning and end of the day.

So I think I would try that setup with this schedule:

1 hour morning - both side lights.
10 hours day - all lights
1 hour night - both side lights

And if I really wanted to be slick, I think a few 2bar T5s down the middle, mounted on the HPS to be on for the hour in morning and hour at night while the HPS is off, to fill.

I love the results of your grow! Also, have you talked with your sheriff friend lately? Tell him he and his wife need to come over for a Hempy tupperware party.

Doc you had awesome grow and results!

+Reps! and 5 stars

I was just wondering if you've thought about this lighting scheme anymore before your next. I too think its great to simulate the best of nature. I had some thoughts on this.

I think a light mover like you have would be a great piece, and the lights on the sides are an awesome idea, but I think your schedule might need a rethink.

The reason being that outside, even during dusk or dawn, there is still a basically even amount of light getting to the entire area. In fact this time is called "Magic Hour" in the film world because it gives the best light. It is diffused by the atmosphere.

Unfortunately, unless you use a really powerful light on the sides, with your setup the falloff of the light would be substantial. So I would be worried that when you fire the one up for 1 hour in the morning or evening - the plants near it will feel the light as if its day coming on, but it may not be enough lumens for the other side - falling off and being blocked by the canopy so much that its essentially just creating a gigantic light leak for an hour at the beginning and end of the day.

So I think I would try that setup with this schedule:

1 hour morning - both side lights.
10 hours day - all lights
1 hour night - both side lights

And if I really wanted to be slick, I think a few 2bar T5s down the middle, mounted on the HPS to be on for the hour in morning and hour at night while the HPS is off, to fill.

I love the results of your grow! Also, have you talked with your sheriff friend lately? Tell him he and his wife need to come over for a Hempy tupperware party.

LOL. I thought this thread was in completed journals. Oh well, thanks so much for the input. What you're saying makes lots of sense.

I had a very large tax bill this year, and CA is making us pay 70% of our taxes by June 15....so I'm giving my lighting development money to the government. :straightface:

I've got sell this BCNL producer I have. Then I'll have some cash for a a few more lights.

about your course-of-the-day lighting ideas; have you guys ever looked into what Sunpulse has made? They've got these light hangers that hold multiple HID bulbs that rotate (helping keep it cool), and they're all different spectrums, from about 2k up to 10k...pretty interesting. probably pretty pricy but it's on the subject so thought I should throw it out there...

I've already said a bit about smoking Flo, and tonite my wife and I tried again. It was smooth and we're laughing....but we're laughing at Larry King....which isn't funny.....interesting meds :grinjoint:

I dunno... I've laughed at Larry King without the buds before! :D

Excellent job on the grow, Doc! I can only hope my grow works out and I have good buds for my patient. Right now, I'm about to do a Rastafarian Ganjah grow dance by them.

LOL. I thought this thread was in completed journals. Oh well, thanks so much for the input. What you're saying makes lots of sense.

I had a very large tax bill this year, and CA is making us pay 70% of our taxes by June 15....so I'm giving my lighting development money to the government. :straightface:

I've got sell this BCNL producer I have. Then I'll have some cash for a a few more lights.

I saw the configuration and it got me to thinking. What if you set up the room with 3 rows of lamps, or what ever configuration is required, depending on room size. Configure the lamps on different timers as isllustrated below.

lamp-config.jpg

Just vary the lamps and timers as required.

I saw the configuration and it got me to thinking. What if you set up the room with 3 rows of lamps, or what ever configuration is required, depending on room size. Configure the lamps on different timers as isllustrated below.

lamp-config.jpg

Just vary the lamps and timers as required.

I think that's simply an amazing idea. Perfect.

My current set up isn't quite able to do that.....but wow, if only I could.

I love your schematic as well. Someday, when I grow up, I'll have a room like that.....amazing.

Thank you so much for sharing that.

I finally checked out your journal, good grow Doc. Nice setup and like so many others on this site, big fist in the air for donating to other folks in need. I look forward to the day when people ailing can eat a cookie or vape something without the stigma or fear that folks feel even in MM States. Thanks again for the tips too...if this site and it's members kicked any more ass, they'd have to change the name to 'The Boot'.

Back
Top Bottom