5 Lavender Clones - 1 Purple AK - 600 Watt HPS in Closet - First Grow - 1 Gallon Pot

Re: 5 Lavender Clones, 1 Purple Ak, 600 Watt HPS in Closet, First Grow. 1 Gal Pot

Cheers to u my vaping friend, that link was very helpful. How could I keep the humidity down well the temperature is at 60? I have a vortex connected to a carbon/charcoal filter does this help with humidity?

Re: 5 Lavender Clones, 1 Purple Ak, 600 Watt HPS in Closet, First Grow. 1 Gal Pot

The carbon filter is good for changing out the air, venting it a bit, but you need to keep moisture down if the air it pulls in is too humid. Do you have a temp/humidity gauge? They are like $10 at Walmart, Target, etc. This would tell you what humidity you are working with and whether you need to get a dehumidifier or something. Dehumidifiers are like $25-$35 bucks and are also at walmart, target, etc.

I don't know if i mentioned it, but on the pic I posted earlier about trich color, I like to have about 20% amber trichs. 50% is too much for me.

Without hesitation, I would advise the "later" plan. Even better, chop on the 28th (if you can get away w/o any watering for 4 days). Then you can REALLY do a high quality SLO dry, where ya put a garbage bag on (and remove) every day or so... over and over, slowing the process to a 7-14 day plant drying BEFORE going in the jars for the cure... when you (again) open & close every day or so for another week or 2. Keep in mind that the garbage bag thing means watching very VERY closely for mold. But it's not difficult at all... not if you've got your eye on things.
I'll be the first to admit that it's a very anal process - few can say that they've done it -and plenty of people might even say I'm nuts. But that's because very few people have ever smoked really great meds cured for more than 3 weeks in total. The difference is as night & day as shake vs. bud.
If you can't wait to chop til the 28th, then DEFINITELY do your other (2nd best plan)... chop right b4 you leave. Even the quickest finishing Indeez need a minimum of 55 days (yes, there are exceptions... there are always exceptions to every rule - that doesn't make me wrong lol).
Again - a great job you've done considering it's a first time. Lot's of people kill everything their first time cuz they just can't leave things alone. Hell, lot's of people are still killing everything on their 3rd time!! :)

55 days is probably max if you're not okay with anything above 50% amber. Nothing wrong with that at all. It's all in the drying & curing process.

Thank u very, very, much bro ur the best. Lol a few things though, one I wouldn't be able to turn the light on and off well I was gone, so I don't think that option would work for me. Two, I'm leaning towards chopping it 24th, and hanging all stalks without trimming leaves so they would dry slower. If I were to shut my room door, I have towels over windows so no light gets in, would I want to leave closet door open or closed well I left? Do u think this could work? Or would u say they would hAve a high chance molding? I think if I kept windows shut it wouldn't get that cold, also would I want to keep a van blowing?

Ok so its decided, cut 24th. maybe drying in the living room would be better? It doesnt get nearly as cold in there, but there is some light that gets in. What is ur views on this? I was wondering im not going to give them any more fox farms nutes or moab at this point, but would I still want to be adding cal/mag to the reversed osmosis water considering theres no nutes in it? I also have a bottle of final phase mind u.

Fan blowing, cold temps, very good. Leaving the plant in tact as it dries is a given (but that's just my opinion).

Fan blowing and cold temps are good for drying/ not molding? Ok so Manny tell me what you think of this. Chop morning of 24th, then hang the bud stalks from the coat rack bar using string and tacks. Leave the closet door open have way so it has some air but not too much. Have a fan a few feet away blowing air into this opening, leave it on for the 3 or four days well im away. Leave windows closed so humidity doesn't get up too high. Im thinking of also going and buying a dehumidifier and leaving this on as well the whole time im gone, Maybe set it inside the closet underneath the stalks drying? leave door closed to my room or leave open so air from the house can get in? I started flushing with just plain reversed osmosis water starting to day. Don't trim anything off the stalks once I cut them just hang them right up. Im guessing I want them to dry as slow as possible well im away so I can do a more eyes on job when I get back. Anything I left out feel free to butt in.

That all sounds good. Cold temps serve to keep the drying process from happening too quickly. They also inhibit -certain- types of mold growth. Perfect example - buy two loaves of bread that are both dated the same. Leave one in a dark cupboard, put the other in the fridge. My money's on the loaf at room temp molding first.
That is not to say that the other bread won't mold, tho... it just increases the shelf life.
Personally, I like temps between 40-55 for drying (colder, better).
My preference is a good powerful fan directly under the hanging plant(s)... blowing straight up from underneath. But whatever... as long as there's a nice constant air current headed straight at it - if it isn't too warm or arid, this will not dry the plant quickly... it just inhibits mold growth. I don't know where you live or what your weather is like, but unless it's really humid, I'd skip the dehumidifier. Remember, long & slow dry.
btw - there are multiple reasons for leaving the fan leaves on the plant while it dries, here are a couple:
1. trich's are fragile, and can easily be knocked off. When buds are handled poorly, smashed up in little baggies, etc., they may look like they're still covered with crystal, but under the microscope, you'd see that the "bubbles" on the end of each trich are missing all over the place if it's handled roughly. Those little bubbles are the active ingredients :)
So the less handling between chop & jar, the better. Mind you I'm about the meds - not in it for sale... the average grower who's in it for the money beats the shit out of their plants, dries as quick as possible, etc. etc... I'm anal because my meds are MY meds - they're important to me, and I take pride in how I treat them... same as I would my cat, dog, self, friend, etc.... (going off on a tangent here lol).
2. Fan leaves not only continue to suck up water while it hangs (helping to dry the plant a little), they also serve as protection while the plant is hanging/drying and continue to protect right up to the point where they are removed. There's a reason that when you hang a plant upside down those big leaves just seem to "naturally" wrap around all the buds & cover them up - it's NATURE doing it's thing.
And yeah - I know "nature" doesn't hang plants upside down. But nature didn't put the HPS inside your house, either :) It's all about going with the flow.

Hey LaManny, I've never left on fan leaves, because I've been told, and read a lot of times, that when you do, they get stuck to the buds and cause even more breakage, or damage when you remove them later. Have you had any issues with this? I'm interested because I haven't known many to do it that way, and have always wondered. I actually planned on trying it on the next grow. Thanks, :roorrip:

I live 2 blocks away from the ocean so Im guessing this is why I usually see the humidity rising so high at night. Im gonna get the dehumidifier just to be safe especially with the cold temps ur suggesting. My worst fear is to come home and find all the stalks completely molded, I would like to take every precaution possible to make sure this doesn't happen. Basically, I can leave early morning on the 25th instead, and try to come back early on the 28th only leaving about three days without being there. If I do everything u suggest what would u say the chances are I would come home and find some of them molded. I've never done this before so I have no idea on how likely this whole mold fucker is. lol

Hey LaManny, I've never left on fan leaves, because I've been told, and read a lot of times, that when you do, they get stuck to the buds and cause even more breakage, or damage when you remove them later. Have you had any issues with this? I'm interested because I haven't known many to do it that way, and have always wondered. I actually planned on trying it on the next grow. Thanks, :roorrip:

That's a reasonable argument. Things depend upon each individual, their situation, and preferences. So anyway, yep - good point.
I wouldn't say that what you've been told is incorrect. Depending upon what the plant goes through between chop, dry, & then manicure - the fan leaves could easily serve as protection. But if it's a really straight forward situation with very little moving around, they could end up doing some harm, I suppose. I was taught by a serious old schooler... long, long time ago. He always quoted George Washington, saying "my hemp grows best when left alone" lol... that's right - the first President of the US grew hemp in his garden. You probably already knew that. I believe it was for fiber purposes - not smoking. That's just a common sense assumption, though. Not entirely sure.
Anyway, he also loved to use the term "keep it simple, stupid".... but he's no longer with us, and I'm the biggest fan of Advanced Nutes you could find, so obviously I've adopted my own way of looking at things.
At the end of the day, my attitude is "whatever"... people should do what they like - after all, it's your own medicine.:peace:
L

Ok I feel like u guys all deserve a gift for helping me and following my journal. So today 11/15/2010 I decided to take some nice high quality shots with my camera. You will notice what a week or two of a 10 degree + drop at night can do. Just what I wanted, those Bay Area Grapes ;) P.S this is 9 days away from chop.
fatyy_purple_bud.jpg
another_crystaly_purp.jpg
yellow_green_bud_HD.jpg
crystaly_purp_sexy.jpg
birds_eye_on_the_purp_guy.jpg

haha funnystyle, sry bout that It is misleading. But i kinda like it that way, its like an undeground journal that u gotta stumble upon. ;) so for u who have found it, I promise to keep the pics comin, and bong rips for anyone who lives close by hahah

ok guys the big days almost here!! Any last tips for how I should go about drying them we'll im away? The leaves have started getting a very dark purple and some of them dying, Ive been flushing them almost two weeks now so Im pretty sure this is expected. I guess Ill take pics before I chop and when I put them up to dry. Any last advice would be greatly appreciated, im kind of playing this last process by ear. Should I leave them in the dark for 24 hours tuesday and chop wednesday morning?

Back
Top Bottom