Bad news guys. Looking over Desdemona this morning I found bugs under a couple of leaves.

No big deal, I thought. I'd just mix up some insecticidal soap and spray her until she's ready for harvest.
But, looking closer, I found this.

And some webbing down low.
I got started snipping her fans off, but it's pretty hot out there in the sun, so I'll be waiting until this afternoon to finish.
I'll also be hanging her in the garage to dry. The only indoor spaces available right now are my tents. She's not getting anywhere near those.
I'll be posting my usual update soon.
So Mel, what are those thrips? Omg I am about to throw Aurora back in the mesh...this scares me so much...they just came in in drones like that overnight or what? Poop on a stick, your garden is fantastic so to see you have to move a beauty like her out of it just saddens me to the core!

Leona- day 101

Desdemona- day 91

Fay Wray- day 50

I do have some good news though, the seed for my hempy experiment is up.
It's a helmet head for now, but I'll be starting a journal this evening.

So Mel, what are those thrips? Omg I am about to throw Aurora back in the mesh...this scares me so much...they just came in in drones like that overnight or what? Poop on a stick, your garden is fantastic so to see you have to move a beauty like her out of it just saddens me to the core!
I'm pretty sure they're aphids. They can come on really quickly, especially since the females can be born pregnant.
They're really not that big of a deal, and insecticidal soap can knock them back quite effectively. But combined with the budrot, and the spider mites webbing down at the bottom of the plant I'm calling it.
If it weren't for the rot and the plants right beside her I would probably just let her finish as much as she can, but it's just too much of a risk for a few days of ripening. Her trichs are in a good spot, so it's best to take her down now.

Leona- day 101

Desdemona- day 91

Fay Wray- day 50

I do have some good news though, the seed for my hempy experiment is up.
It's a helmet head for now, but I'll be starting a journal this evening.

I'm pretty sure they're aphids. They can come on really quickly, especially since the females can be born pregnant.
They're really not that big of a deal, and insecticidal soap can knock them back quite effectively. But combined with the budrot, and the spider mites webbing down at the bottom of the plant I'm calling it.
If it weren't for the rot and the plants right beside her I would probably just let her finish as much as she can, but it's just too much of a risk for a few days of ripening. Her trichs are in a good spot, so it's best to take her down now.
Thank you for this information, I'm really not enlightened in terms of bugs so whatever you say, I'm taking in. I have my neem oil by the back door and I try to spray around her and her soil at night to ward off anything. I don't see then on my garden plants, are either of those garden bugs? Do they have a demographic area that they are commonly seen in? Oh God, idk why I am asking you all of this, I need to just go look it up and not bother you!

Regardless of this poor purple beauty being taken away, I still aspire one day to be able to grow such beautiful outdoor plants as you have in this garden, Mel. I hope that is a consolation

Thank you for this information, I'm really not enlightened in terms of bugs so whatever you say, I'm taking in. I have my neem oil by the back door and I try to spray around her and her soil at night to ward off anything. I don't see then on my garden plants, are either of those garden bugs? Do they have a demographic area that they are commonly seen in? Oh God, idk why I am asking you all of this, I need to just go look it up and not bother you!

Regardless of this poor purple beauty being taken away, I still aspire one day to be able to grow such beautiful outdoor plants as you have in this garden, Mel. I hope that is a consolation
Thanks Krissi.
I probably missed the first few, given how many there are now.
Aphids are everywhere, but different species feed on different types of plants.
For example, we get orange ones on the milkweed every year, but they never touch any of the other plants.
We've had wooly aphids once, but they only bothered the lupins.
This is the first time I've seen olive green ones, and only the second time I've had a species that feeds on cannabis so I'm not sure where they came from.

Thanks for being so thorough with your response again, Mel-I appreciate that. Thinking of it now, I think I saw some on one of my star gazer lilies this year! They were white.....idk if that's a species or not or if it was something else but either way, I'll be on the lookout since this is my first foray. Again, many thanks buddy for clearing some questions up for me.

Sorry to hear that Mel. You don't feel it necessary to move that plant away from the others, like, immediately?

Sorry to hear that Mel. You don't feel it necessary to move that plant away from the others, like, immediately?
She's had leaves touching Fay for a bit and Fay is clean, so I'm leaving her for the next few hours. She doesn't seem to have any more rot, so I'm not too worried about that.
I'm really going by my experience dealing with them on pepper plants. As long as their food source is there, they mostly stay put.

She's had leaves touching Fay for a bit and Fay is clean, so I'm leaving her for the next few hours. She doesn't seem to have any more rot, so I'm not too worried about that.
I'm really going by my experience dealing with them on pepper plants. As long as their food source is there, they mostly stay put.
You're cool under pressure, dude!

Bugs send me into full defcon mode and I go bat-shit crazy doing all I can to stop the madness! :Rasta:

Bugs send me into full defcon mode and I go bat-shit crazy doing all I can to stop the madness! :Rasta:
I can see me now. Hell, I saw me when I had just fungus gnats 2 years ago, things might as well have been packs of black widows the way I was trying to Rambo them out of there...had I had a flame thrower, I'd probably have torched the house down trying to save myself and the plants from a fruit flies :rofl:

O, banish me, my lord, but kill me not!
Kill me to-morrow: let me live to-night!
But half an hour!
But while I say one prayer!
O, falsely, falsely murder'd!
A guiltless death I die
Nobody; I myself. Farewell
Commend me to my kind lord: O, farewell!

Poor Dese 🥲

Maybe they’re not normally prone to cannabis but the different colours and smells and it was snack time.

But you’ll get something - nontotal loss.

Nick

I've started the Jack Herer hempy grow, for anyone who's interested!

And then there were two.
Desdemona has been washed, and is hanging now.

Leona- day 102
I'm still a bit worried about her finishing time, but the tent is clean and ready for her if she needs it.

Fay Wray- day 51
Stigmas are changing, and she's still clear of pests. Just one spot of powdery mildew to deal with.

Thanks GDB!
I don't like them, but usually the predators out there keep them in check.
It's indoors that they really become a problem!
I can see me now. Hell, I saw me when I had just fungus gnats 2 years ago, things might as well have been packs of black widows the way I was trying to Rambo them out of there...had I had a flame thrower, I'd probably have torched the house down trying to save myself and the plants from a fruit flies :rofl:
Lol! You know, I did see a consumer flamethrower on a YouTube channel... 🤔
O, banish me, my lord, but kill me not!
Kill me to-morrow: let me live to-night!
But half an hour!
But while I say one prayer!
O, falsely, falsely murder'd!
A guiltless death I die
Nobody; I myself. Farewell
Commend me to my kind lord: O, farewell!

Poor Dese 🥲

Maybe they’re not normally prone to cannabis but the different colours and smells and it was snack time.

But you’ll get something - nontotal loss.

Nick
Thanks Nick!
She was definitely harvestable, but I'll have to wait until the strain comes up in the indoors lineup to see what it can do when fully ripe.
She still smells great!

Thanks Krissi.
I probably missed the first few, given how many there are now.
Aphids are everywhere, but different species feed on different types of plants.
For example, we get orange ones on the milkweed every year, but they never touch any of the other plants.
We've had wooly aphids once, but they only bothered the lupins.
This is the first time I've seen olive green ones, and only the second time I've had a species that feeds on cannabis so I'm not sure where they came from.
Bummer about the aphids Mel, I would start the rest of them on @Sierra Natural Science 209 asap. Des was a beautiful girl and I hate it for you n to see her go.Fingers crossed 🤞 for the rest of lovely ladies. CL🤔

Bummer about the aphids Mel, I would start the rest of them on @Sierra Natural Science 209 asap. Des was a beautiful girl and I hate it for you n to see her go.Fingers crossed 🤞 for the rest of lovely ladies. CL🤔
Thanks Cap!
SNS isn't available up here. I'm keeping a close eye on the other two.
It was really the combination of aphids, rot, and the spider mite webbing combined with her trichs being in the harvest window that made me decide to harvest her.
If either of the other two show any signs of aphids I'll be using Safer's. It's usually quite effective against them.

Thanks Cap!
SNS isn't available up here. I'm keeping a close eye on the other two.
It was really the combination of aphids, rot, and the spider mite webbing combined with her trichs being in the harvest window that made me decide to harvest her.
If either of the other two show any signs of aphids I'll be using Safer's. It's usually quite effective against them.
Safers End All is great stuff, I used some last year for my outdoor grow. CL🍀 :thumb: :circle-of-love:

Leona- day 103
I'm thinking I have more of a Haze phenotype this time.
We'll see if that prediction holds up as her flowers form though.

Fay Wray- day 52
Frosting up nicely.

That's some beautiful buds Mel.. 👍👍💚
Thanks sjb!
Safers End All is great stuff, I used some last year for my outdoor grow. CL🍀 :thumb: :circle-of-love:
I'm sure it is. I'll be using their insecticidal soap though, if needed.

Leona- day 103
I'm thinking I have more of a Haze phenotype this time.
We'll see if that prediction holds up as her flowers form though.

Fay Wray- day 52
Frosting up nicely.

Thanks sjb!

I'm sure it is. I'll be using their insecticidal soap though, if needed.
If I’m not mistaken it’s the same thing only that they added Pyrethrum. CL🍀

Back
Top Bottom