--- t Big Foot (ord)
--- t TM-7
Natural @ 630 ppm
pH target: 6.20 (±.10) Actual: 6.14 @ 22.1 C
1/2 t Companion

:peace:

Bloom report:

Super Lemon Haze

SLH is dry and homogenizing. It maybe dried a bit too fast (I'll need to slow my dry-box down) but it's not bad. It's so sticky it balls up and gets little sticky particles on everything. It's a bit spikey to the touch and is a bit airy (which has nothing to do with the dry-box). I believe I need to bush this plant less and trim more. It does have weight though - more than is immediately apparent. Total dried weight it about 10.5 oz, but if I was selling (and I'm not), 4 oz would be unsellable.

That said it is all totally smokable. I am completely ripped right now and I'm only half way through the joint. It's very heady. I see why this won the Cannabis Cup. It's a shot to the head. OK, maybe more like a shotgun. It is very head-centric. It will need some cure and some vaping to give a proper report of the smell and taste.

I'm excited to grow it again. I am confident I can get better from it. For now, it's a definite keeper.

20120102Aber-01.png

20120102Aber-02.png

20120102Aber-03.png

:cheer:

==> Bloom - Pre-harvest flush (3)

TDR (76/80 days) : 2.00 gal
MTP.2G (66/70 days) : 2.00 gal
MTP.2H (66/70 days) : 2.00 gal

-Mix (6) gallons
-Per gallon:
1 oz Clearex
pH target: 6.20 (±.10) Actual: 6.18 @ 15.7 C

==> Bloom - Pre-feed flush (2)

BD.6J (34/70 days) : 0.50 gal
BD.6K (34/70 days) : 0.50 gal

-Mix (1) gallon
-Per gallon:
1 T liquid steamed bone meal
1 T Yucca
pH target: 6.20 (±.10) Actual: 6.20 @ 20.1 C
1 t blackstrap molasses

==> Bloom - Feed (2)

BD.6J : 1.25 gal
BD.6K : 1.25 gal

-Mix (3) gallons - MID
-Per gallon:
2 T Biggest Bloom
2 t PGE
1 t Silica Blast
1 t Cal-Mag
1 T Yucca
2 t Notrozyme
2 t Organic Supplement
2 t Soil Nute
--- t Big Foot (ord)
1 t Calcium Syrup
1/2 t Carbon sweet
2 T Amino Blast
1/2 t TM-7
Natural @ 1130 ppm
pH target: 6.20 (±.10) Actual: 6.20 @ 19.5 C
1/2 t Companion

==> Large Veg (4):

GKA : 0.75 gal ea
BBX.3F
CH
L.5Q

-Mix (3) gallons
-Per gallon:
1 T Pure Blend Pro Grow
1 t Cal-Mag
1 T Yucca
--- t Big Foot (ord)
--- t TM-7
Natural @ 770 ppm
pH target: 6.20 (±.10) Actual: 6.23 @ 20.8 C
1/2 t Companion

==> Medium Veg (24):

BBX.4C, BBX.4F : water to saturation
GKA.1B
MTP.3D, MTP.3E
SLH.1A
TDR.1B

SLH.1B, SLH.1D : water to saturation

AH1.0A, AH1.0B : water to saturation
QLR.0A, QLR.0B
WW.0A

L.6A, L.6B, L.6C, : water to saturation
L.6D, L.6E
GKA.1D, GKA.1E, GKA.1F,
GKA.1G, GKA.1H

-Mix (2) gallons
-Per gallon:
2 t Pure Blend Pro Grow
1 t Cal-Mag
1 T Yucca
--- t Big Foot (ord)
--- t TM-7
Natural @ 640 ppm
pH target: 6.20 (±.10) Actual: 6.19 @ 20.2 C
1/2 t Companion

The next two days will be milestone days for me. I will harvest 3 of the 5 remaining bloomers, steal 2 lights from the current bloom, hang them in the new bloom, duct them and add a fan, rewire the switch panel to carry 2 more lights and 2 more fans, and make it all work before the lights come on. Then I will put 4 new bloomers into the new bloom room, leaving only two girls in the old room until early February. So it's a big transition for me.

It's a good thing my girls have their dark during my day. I'll have to work partly by green headlamp, but all the stuff I need to mess with is powered down.

Like I said, TDR (Tangerine Dream), MTP.2G and MTP,2H (both Matanuskan Thunderfu@k) come down tomorrow, so this is their last hurrah. I'm going to bed soon, but I will take pictures first and post them later so you all can see how they look.

==> Bloom - Pre-harvest flush (3)

TDR (78/80 days) : 2.00 gal
MTP.2G (68/70 days) : 2.00 gal
MTP.2H (68/70 days) : 2.00 gal

-Mix (6) gallons
-Per gallon:
1 oz Clearex
pH target: 6.20 (±.10) Actual: 6.24 @ 21.6 C

BD.6J (36/70 days) : 0.50 gal
BD.6K (36/70 days) : 0.50 gal

-Mix (1) gallon
-Per gallon:
1 T Yucca
pH target: 6.20 (±.10) Actual: 6.16 @ 21.2 C
1 t blackstrap molasses

==> Bloom - Feed (2)

-Mix (3) gallons - MID
-Per gallon:
2 T Biggest Bloom
2 t PGE
1 t Silica Blast
1 t Cal-Mag
1 T Yucca
2 t Notrozyme
2 t Organic Supplement
2 t Soil Nute
--- t Big Foot (ord)
1 t Calcium Syrup
1/2 t Carbon sweet
2 T Amino Blast
1/2 t TM-7
Natural @ 1200 ppm
pH target: 6.20 (±.10) Actual: 6.22 @ 21.5 C
1/2 t Companion

==> Large Veg (4):

BBX.3F
CH
L.5Q

-Mix (3) gallons
-Per gallon:
1 T Pure Blend Pro Grow
1 t Cal-Mag
1 T Yucca
--- t Big Foot (ord)
--- t TM-7
Natural @ 770 ppm
pH target: 6.20 (±.10) Actual: 6.17 @ 21.2 C
1/2 t Companion

==> Medium Veg (9):

GKA.1B
MTP.3D, MTP.3E
SLH.1A
TDR.1B

-Mix (2) gallons
-Per gallon:
2 t Pure Blend Pro Grow
1 t Cal-Mag
1 T Yucca
--- t Big Foot (ord)
--- t TM-7
Natural @ 500 ppm
pH target: 6.20 (±.10) Actual: 6.25 @ 21.4 C
1/2 t Companion

==> Remainder veg (10):

QLR.0A, QLR.0B
WW.0A

L.6D, L.6E
GKA.1D, GKA.1F,
GKA.1G, GKA.1H

Nothing. Too wet.

Before I get going on this long day I thought it would be good to sit down, smoke a morning doobie, and post the pics from last night.

Veg is just getting out of hand. Actually there is lot of that "getting out of hand" going around. I have been narrowly focused on the new bloom room construction to the detriment of my plants:

20120106Aber-01.jpg

20120106Aber-02.jpg

The plants from seed are doing great, although they need to be closer to the lights:

20120106Aber-03.jpg

The clones from the Clone Machine 25 are having trouble. I haven't figured it out yet. I assume it is something specific to the hydro clones:

20120106Aber-04.jpg

20120106Aber-05.jpg

In fact, these three look terrible and are probably goners:

20120106Aber-06.jpg

20120106Aber-07.jpg

20120106Aber-08.jpg

On to bloom. Here are the Blue Dreams on the right:

20120106Aber-09.jpg

In this shot you can see the two Matanuskans in the foreground left, and the Tangerine Dream in the back at left:

20120106Aber-10.jpg

We'll start with the Matanuskans. They come out today and they look perfect. I'm expecting at least 6oz per plant on these two, because they are smallish, but they are so ready my mouth watered when I was editing the pics:

20120106Aber-11.jpg

20120106Aber-12.jpg

20120106Aber-13.jpg

20120106Aber-14.jpg

20120106Aber-15.jpg

20120106Aber-16.jpg

20120106Aber-17.jpg

Now let's take a look at the Tangerine Dream. This is my first time blooming this, and I have started to hear poor reviews of the strain. She is 78 days in these pics. I think I over-nuted her, but if so she is really sensitive. I'll try again with a smaller, less bushy plant next time and I'll go real light on nutes. She has filled out pretty good considering the general lack of useful leaves. I let her go 9 days longer than she was supposed to and I don't think I'm going to get much more progress at this point, so she comes down today as well. To her credit, she does have the most incredible orange-spice scent to her that is very strong and overpowers everything. I still have high hopes for this strain. But my trimmer is going to kill me when they see how much dead leaf material there is to clean out:

20120106Aber-18.jpg

20120106Aber-19.jpg

20120106Aber-20.jpg

Finally, here are the two Blue Dream girls. They are the two that will have this room and 2 x 600W lights to themselves for the next month. After them, this bloom room gets completely decommissioned in anticipation of the veg room expansion. They are both doing so spectacular, as usual. I need to stake them up soon or I will have breakage:

20120106Aber-21.jpg

20120106Aber-22.jpg

20120106Aber-23.jpg

20120106Aber-24.jpg

Here are some quick snaps of the light system in progress. First, I put up these rails to hang the lights from. Then I hung the lights by pully. The setup here has had the hood taken down, and the v-shaped brackets are hooked up so the ropes are out of the way. You can also see some of the ducting work started. The flex duct will be replaced with a rigid elbow, which will feed into the fan at it's left. That fan will then feed the first light in the far row. The fan on the right is for the row the ropes are hung from (I hope that makes sense):

20120106Aber-25.jpg

Here is a shot of a set of ropes with the hood still on. You can also see the v-brackets I mentioned above. The pair of lines for each hood comes together about 3 1/2 to 4 feet from the pulleys at a quick link:

20120106Aber-26.jpg

Then a single rope continues from the link to this at the wall next to the door. I'll explain some of the details of this later. All of the hardware is Home Depot. The boards are attached to 3 studs each, with two 3" screws per stud, just like the ceiling rails. Solid:

20120106Aber-27.jpg

OK, I gotta get busy. BIG day.

Steal all you want. :D

By the way, the inline fans are not hung the same now. They are directly below where the ducting comes through the ceiling, and they blow straight down. Pics later - I have to get all this working today.

While I am thinking about it, I would love some opinions and thoughts on a specific topic:

Should inline fans on light cooling circuits push or pull?

The standard wisdom is that inline fans pull better than they push and are better as exhaust than input. However, I worry that the bearing will dump on me a lot sooner with uber-hot AC or light-cooling air pulling through these fans. That is why I always use them to blow into hot circuits. It is the air flowing through the fan itself that cools the motor and bearing after all.

Has anyone used Sunleaves fans the other way, where very hot AC or light-cooling air was pulled through the fans? How did they last that way?

==> All - weekly beneficials (29)

BD.6J (38/70 days) : 1.50 gal
BD.6K (38/70 days) : 1.50 gal

BBX.3F
CH
L.5Q

GKA.1B
MTP.3D, MTP.3E
SLH.1A
TDR.1B

QLR.0A, QLR.0B
WW.0A

L.6D, L.6E
GKA.1D, GKA.1F,
GKA.1G, GKA.1H

-Mix (9) gallons
pH target: 6.20 (±.10) Actual: 6.20 @ 21.8 C
-Per gallon:
1/2 T Mykos WP (mycorrhizae)
1 t Gnatrol (Bt-i - Bacillus thuringiensis var. israelensis)
1/2 t Companion (Bacillus subtilis)
1 t Hygrozyme

Should inline fans on light cooling circuits push or pull?

The standard wisdom is that inline fans pull better than they push and are better as exhaust than input. However, I worry that the bearing will dump on me a lot sooner with uber-hot AC or light-cooling air pulling through these fans. That is why I always use them to blow into hot circuits. It is the air flowing through the fan itself that cools the motor and bearing after all.

Has anyone used Sunleaves fans the other way, where very hot AC or light-cooling air was pulled through the fans? How did they last that way?

If they're more efficient pulling, I would use them that way. The lifespan difference between a bearing running in 60-70 degree ambient vs 110-120 shouldn't really be much. I've quite a bit of experience with commercial fans, and I've seen regular bearings (not specifically for hot environments) run for years at 150 degree ambient temps.

YMMV

If they're more efficient pulling, I would use them that way. The lifespan difference between a bearing running in 60-70 degree ambient vs 110-120 shouldn't really be much. I've quite a bit of experience with commercial fans, and I've seen regular bearings (not specifically for hot environments) run for years at 150 degree ambient temps.

YMMV

Really. OK, then I guess I'll move my fans to the other end of the circuit.

Thanks for that heads-up. :thanks:

How hot would you guess is safe? I know that the AC exhaust can be hot enough to make it uncomfortable to touch the ducting from the outside. Then again, That might be because I need even more air, but I already run 2 x 6" fans in parallel (rated at 400+ CFM each, under no load no doubt) for a 25,000 Btu AC.

That matanuska looks amazing... :)

It does, doesn't it? Properly cared for it will do amazing things, but it can't hold it's own weight starting very early in bloom and is such a pain to grow. I've been dithering about whether to keep it since I started growing it 2 1/2 years ago, but I still have it. :D

I jerry-rigged one of the new bloom lights for now and put the MH conversion bulb in it. I put the 4 plants that are more or less ready for bloom under it. They were growing into the lights and crowding each other badly. Branches are twisted and burned from the florescent tubes. I took pictures for those that haven't seen it' It's ugly, but not the end of the world. I'll post them in the next batch.

Meanwhile, my feeding regimen is relatively simple. :thumb:

BD.6J (40/70 days) : 0.50 gal
BD.6K (40/70 days) : 0.50 gal

-Mix (1) gallon
-Per gallon:
1 T Yucca
pH target: 6.20 (±.10) Actual: 6.14 @ 17.1 C
1 t blackstrap molasses

==> Bloom - Feed (2)

-Mix (3) gallons - MID
-Per gallon:
2 T Biggest Bloom
2 t PGE
1 t Silica Blast
1 t Cal-Mag
1 T Yucca
2 t Notrozyme
2 t Organic Supplement
2 t Soil Nute
--- t Big Foot (ord)
1 t Calcium Syrup
1/2 t Carbon sweet
2 T Amino Blast
1/2 t TM-7
Natural @ 1040 ppm
pH target: 6.20 (±.10) Actual: 6.25 @ 17.9 C
1/2 t Companion

==> Large Veg (4):

BBX.3F
CH
L.5Q

-Mix (3) gallons
-Per gallon:
1 T Pure Blend Pro Grow
1 t Cal-Mag
1 T Yucca
--- t Big Foot (ord)
--- t TM-7
Natural @ 820 ppm
pH target: 6.20 (±.10) Actual: 6.21 @ 19.7 C
1/2 t Companion

==> Medium Veg (14):

GKA.1B
MTP.3D, MTP.3E
SLH.1A
TDR.1B

QLR.0A, QLR.0B
WW.0A

-Mix (2) gallons
-Per gallon:
2 t Pure Blend Pro Grow
1 t Cal-Mag
1 T Yucca
--- t Big Foot (ord)
--- t TM-7
Natural @ 650 ppm
pH target: 6.20 (±.10) Actual: 6.23 @ 20.2 C
1/2 t Companion

==> Remainder (9)

L.6D, L.6E
GKA.1D, GKA.1F,
GKA.1G, GKA.1H

Nothing. Too wet.

lol doesn't surprise me abb... ur rate of growth in veg is outstanding!!

I know I, and others, have harped on you about a video, but I was just thinking the other day... can't u upload a walkthrough clip on sendspace or one of those random hosting sites.

I know video invades the privacy of your grow a lot more than pics, but I, and I am sure others, would LOVE to see a walkthrough, maybe after u get done with all the mass construction going on? :p

I do not mean to pester at all, just thought I'd toss that idea in the air beacuse I know you said you do not want to deal with youtube as you have to post personal info etc...

As always, an extreme pleasure, and quite honestly, an honor, for you to share your growing experience with us in such detail for so long.

Do not think for a second we aren't blown away by your abilities and your openness with this entire journey!!

cheers!

Thanks darkpiece. :Namaste:
Actually, I think I can upload to ImageShack anonymously - I've been using it for pics on other forums anonymously for a while now. I'll do a walkthrough once I have the new room online. I agree that a video, with a small amount of movement to one side or another, does give better perspective. I also want to post a video demonstrating how I roll doobies too. I just need to rig op an overhead mount of some sort for the camera. I tried it with a tripod, but working around one of the legs was a pain.

So remind me as I get closer. I won't feel nagged, I promise.

You do realize that you were the one that pointed me to 420magazine.com, right?

Tangerine Dream - First Impressions

It's barely dry and won't really be ready for a few more days, but I just tried the Tangerine Dream. I'll have to see how it tails off and how long it lasts, but initial impressions are ready.

First, a few facts that will help provide context: I have grown 22 strains to maturity in just over 2½ years, some better than others. I am no pro. My senses of taste and smell are not very sophisticated, but functional. I smoke about 1.2 grams per day and sometimes much more, as I am a medical user, so I have the accompanying tolerance.

Tangerine Dream - First Impressions

Though it may have grown fluffy light buds, it produced OK, and it looks pretty good. I'll show pics when it is done and I jar it. I am convinced that it can be bulked up a bit by careful control of temps, plant size, undergrowth volume and not over-ferting.

As for the smoke - WOW!

Have you ever smoked S.A.G.E.? S.A.G.E. has a strong sandalwood taste/smell that is very distinctive. The Tangerine Dream has a similarly strong and distinctive (overpowering at times) smell. I'm not saying the scent is the same - just that the strength of these two easily outshine all others. In that respect, the Tangerine Dream and S.A.G.E. share a rare trait that has eluded the other 20 or so strains I have grown in the last 2½ years.

Where S.A.G.E. is sandalwood with a hint of black pepper, the taste and smell of Tangerine Dream is a woody orange spice that lingers on the tongue. Tangerine Dream is very complementary with the smoke itself, reminding me of a good cigar. It's a pleasure to smoke.

Then there's the high. It's been about 45 minutes, 50% of the doobie is un-smoked, and I'm pretty high. It's a head high for sure, with much less sensation in the rest of my body. It feels like my senses might not be fully trusted however. My face feels funny and my mind is loosely connected. It's a nice high.

Assuming this impression persists, and I am successful in bulking it up a bit as well, Tangerine Dream appears to be a keeper.

---

As for what I have heard, it is this: I Googled "Tangerine Dream" and when I eliminated the sales pitch info, what was left was mostly people complaining that it did not live up to it's reputation or promise. It was said that the early seed were awesome, but that recent seeds were not producing good weed. There were those who complained it was too airy, and those who said it didn't have the high. I out-right dispute that last bit. The high is better than most so far. As for airy, we will see. I suspect that a lot of people try once, do poorly, then never try again with better conditions, and this may be coloring their perception.

The Tangerine Dream is great. I love the high. I just want more. It has a high ceiling and I've had the wah-wahs a couple times (mostly because I didn't stop smoking when I was already good and high). It peaks quickly, like early or unfinished bud, but it doesn't have the head-ache-y comedown early bud can give you and you don't come down much. But you want to go again. It's pretty good now, but hopefully time and practice may improve this even. It may need more dry time, cure time, and/or longer bloom time.

I'll just have to figure it out. :lot-o-toke: (poor me)

BD.6J (42/70 days) : 0.50 gal
BD.6K (42/70 days) : 0.50 gal

-Mix (1) gallon
-Per gallon:
1 T Yucca
pH target: 6.20 (±.10) Actual: 6.25 @ 18.3 C
1 t blackstrap molasses

==> Bloom - Feed (2)

BD.6J : 1.50 gal
BD.6K : 1.50 gal

-Mix (3) gallons - MID
-Per gallon:
2 T Biggest Bloom
2 t PGE
1 t Silica Blast
1 t Cal-Mag
1 T Yucca
2 t Notrozyme
2 t Organic Supplement
2 t Soil Nute
--- t Big Foot (ord)
1 t Calcium Syrup
1/2 t Carbon sweet
2 T Amino Blast
1/2 t TM-7
Natural @ 1090 ppm
pH target: 6.20 (±.10) Actual: 6.25 @ 18.4 C
1/2 t Companion

==> Large Veg (4):

BBX.3F
CH
L.5Q

-Mix (3) gallons
-Per gallon:
1 T Pure Blend Pro Grow
1 t Cal-Mag
1 T Yucca
--- t Big Foot (ord)
--- t TM-7
Natural @ 740 ppm
pH target: 6.20 (±.10) Actual: 6.17 @ 18.4 C
1/2 t Companion

==> Medium Veg (14):

GKA.1B
MTP.3D, MTP.3E
SLH.1A
TDR.1B

QLR.0A, QLR.0B
WW.0A

-Mix (2) gallons
-Per gallon:
2 t Pure Blend Pro Grow
1 t Cal-Mag
1 T Yucca
--- t Big Foot (ord)
--- t TM-7
Natural @ 600 ppm
pH target: 6.20 (±.10) Actual: 6.22 @ 18.5 C
1/2 t Companion

==> Remainder (9)

L.6D, L.6E
GKA.1D, GKA.1F,
GKA.1G, GKA.1H

Nothing. *Still* too wet.

I gave away GKA.1G and GKA.1H. The person I gave them to is going to mother them out and give me clones. I'm not doing well with cloning atm.

I tossed GKA.1D, GKA.1F, L.6B, and L.6E as they have expired.

==> All - weekly beneficials (23)

BD.6J (44/70 days) : 1.50 gal
BD.6K (44/70 days) : 1.50 gal

BBX.3F
CH
L.5Q

GKA.1B
MTP.3D, MTP.3E
SLH.1A
TDR.1B

QLR.0A, QLR.0B
WW.0A

L.6A, L.6C, L.6D : water to saturation

-Mix (8) gallons
pH target: 6.20 (±.10) Actual: 6.21 @ 20.8 C
-Per gallon:
1/2 T Mykos WP (mycorrhizae)
1 t Gnatrol (Bt-i - Bacillus thuringiensis var. israelensis)
1/2 t Companion (Bacillus subtilis)
1 t Hygrozyme

Here are some pictures of the ductwork on the lights. I wanted to fit 9 hoods in a 3 x 3 pattern. That gives each light a 42" x 45" space. That doesn't give enough space between adjacent lights for ducting, so I had to improvise. I angled them all about 10 degrees off of being straight (still level). That made the ducting from adjacent hoods to miss each other.

The duct curls up over the light's "shoulder" the same fashion on both sides. It is balanced, but it looks odd. The beauty is that this places the flex ends as close to the ceiling as possible when the lights are all the way up. All lights can be lowered as low as 4' off the floor and can go up to 7'6" off the floor (hitting ceiling) independently, and the flex never dips more than 3" below the lower light (and then only when they are at the same height):

20120108Aber-01.png

20120108Aber-03.png

Nothing will go in that needs a lower light. There's 18" of pot and casters and 18" between the glass and a plant top. That means a 12" plant would be tall enough. I never bloom that small.

As for the 7'6" upper limit, at that point the light brackets are touching the pulleys on the ceiling. I can go no higher with a 9' overhead limit. Using the same 36" deduction as above, at this upper limit the plant can be 4'6" tall. That's not bad.

All those "gull-wing" duct pieces do make for a busy ceiling:

20120108Aber-02.png

Here are pics from the 10th. They are the plants I am about to bloom. The first four pictures are of GKA (Grape Kool-Aid). She grew into the veg floros and got burned. She has a nice flat top though:

20120110Aber-01.png

20120110Aber-02.png

20120110Aber-03.png

20120110Aber-04.png

These are the other three: CH (Cheese), L.5Q ('lavender' indica), and BBX.3F (BigBud x BlueMagoo). They mostly suffered twwisted branches and leaves. This mess has already straightened up now, in the present:

20120110Aber-05.png

20120110Aber-06.png

20120110Aber-07.png

Finally, here are three pics I took of the Tangerine Dream right before I snipped the buds off of the stems today. Lovely stuff:

20120114Aber-01.png

20120114Aber-02.png

20120114Aber-03.png

Back
Top Bottom