About Those Charts

Seeds 5 and 12 came up as helmet heads. I wet a q-tip and rubbed some water along the edge of the shell. 5 shed its helmet, and the membrane came off after a few more rubs.
12 needed a little more help, so I grabbed a knife and used the tip to gently lift the edge off, and then to pick at the edge of the membrane. It came off after a little bit, and now they're both fine.
This leaves us with 9 seedlings for sexing so far. Due to that, I may have enough pots after all.
We'll see if more come up in the next few days.

Looking good !!!!!!
Thanks Jack!
It would be interesting to send 16 seeds up to the ISS for a microgravity control group (and the astronauts could grow themselves some buds, lol).
Elevated astronauts! I guess they'd have to launch the seeds from somewhere other than Cape Canaveral though...

Seeds 5 and 12 came up as helmet heads. I wet a q-tip and rubbed some water along the edge of the shell. 5 shed its helmet, and the membrane came off after a few more rubs.
12 needed a little more help, so I grabbed a knife and used the tip to gently lift the edge off, and then to pick at the edge of the membrane. It came off after a little bit, and now they're both fine.
This leaves us with 9 seedlings for sexing so far. Due to that, I may have enough pots after all.
We'll see if more come up in the next few days.

Thanks Jack!

Elevated astronauts! I guess they'd have to launch the seeds from somewhere other than Cape Canaveral though...
Great documentation. :thumb:
Sorry I'm late. :ciao:

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 😎

Nice little experiment. I've always tried my best to sow the seeds pointy end up because I saw that chart early on. So far most have come out as the diagram suggests but a few just shot the taproot out the surface. The LSD seed I dropped a few days ago did something crazy though. I went digging for it and found the tap root going straight down then it bent at 90 degrees and was ploughing along just under the soil. Casing off. I suspect, more than orientation, that the depth and how loose or compact the soil is, plays a bigger part in shedding the helmet.

Yup I’ve had a few helmet heads at times makes me shake really bad wen I try to help em but I’ve seen if you don’t help they will die !!

If nothing else its interesting Mel, and the sample size is large enough to give an assessment.

For what its worth, as has been mentioned already, pointy end up has resulted in tap root breaching the soil for me in the past on the odd occasion.

That could be an overlooked trap for a grower just starting out. For that reason alone the experiment you've run is worth the time.

The seed sexing question is the one that needs some real resolution. Appreciate your effort, whatever happens Ill be interested.

I transplanted a bunch of them. 6 to be exact.
I was tired and a bit cranky so there was a bit of root damage to some of them.
I'll be covering the transparent pots later so the rest don't need to be moved.
I know there's water in the tray in the pic, I dumped it out after letting it wick up into the pots for a while.

Great documentation. :thumb:
Sorry I'm late. :ciao:

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 😎
Thanks Bill!
They're going to 12/12 today.
Nice little experiment. I've always tried my best to sow the seeds pointy end up because I saw that chart early on. So far most have come out as the diagram suggests but a few just shot the taproot out the surface. The LSD seed I dropped a few days ago did something crazy though. I went digging for it and found the tap root going straight down then it bent at 90 degrees and was ploughing along just under the soil. Casing off. I suspect, more than orientation, that the depth and how loose or compact the soil is, plays a bigger part in shedding the helmet.
You're probably right about the depth and soil density being the key factors there.
In my last outdoors grow there was one seed that poked its taproot out the side of the peat pod, maybe there was a bit that never expanded and stayed hard in the way.
Yup I’ve had a few helmet heads at times makes me shake really bad wen I try to help em but I’ve seen if you don’t help they will die !!
I don't get many, but I can usually get them off. It's easier if they're under a dome as the humidity keeps the shell and membrane soft.
If nothing else its interesting Mel, and the sample size is large enough to give an assessment.

For what its worth, as has been mentioned already, pointy end up has resulted in tap root breaching the soil for me in the past on the odd occasion.

That could be an overlooked trap for a grower just starting out. For that reason alone the experiment you've run is worth the time.

The seed sexing question is the one that needs some real resolution. Appreciate your effort, whatever happens Ill be interested.
Thanks DV8!
I may need to redo the sexing part with different seeds taking pics before soaking, just to more closely follow the chart. It'll still be part of this journal if I do it.

Hey everyone, I haven't forgotten this journal, I've just been waiting until I had some results to share.
Some of the plants are now in flower, and we've got a mix of males and females. Unfortunately I seem to have mixed up a couple of them, we seem to have 3 of seed 12 😬 😅
I'm currently dealing with the onset of an edible, so I'll be dealing with this tomorrow, and posting pics of the plants that have shifted with the seeds they came from (as far as that can be determined).

Quick summary while I upload pics, seeds 3, 5, 12 (impostor), and 16 are definite males. Seeds 7, 8, and 12 (real) are definite females. Seed 13 looks to be a male, but I'm not quite sure yet, and 3 more are showing no sign of flower yet.

What did I say up there about 13? Scratch that, she's a girl. I put a suspected male back into the tent to make sure, so there are 4 in there right now.

Later today I'll try out some photo editing to pair these with the seed pics from the beginning of the journal. Failing that I'll just repost them one after the other (with labels)

Pretty cool experiment for s&g

It would be interesting to send 16 seeds up to the ISS for a microgravity control group (and the astronauts could grow themselves some buds, lol).
I would not be surprised to find that they’ve already sent em up and tried this exact thing!

We know they’ve grown food up there…
We really gone act like they aren’t as human as us and looked at each other after harvesting some experimental basil…

Like “you know what we could do…🤔

😂 I digress

Back
Top Bottom