Amy Gardner's First Journal - Outdoor - Critical Cure & Chaos In The Forest

Re: Amy Gardner's First Journal - Outdoor - Critical Cure & Chaos In The Forest

It's a little wasp. It might be eating aphids! (good thing)

Re: Amy Gardner's First Journal - Outdoor - Critical Cure & Chaos In The Forest

It's a little wasp. It might be eating aphids! (good thing)

Awesome - I'm looking it up instantly. :love: & :hug: for that, and Reps too!

And welcome to my humble garden, thanks for stopping by. Quite an entrance :smokin:
Care for a hit? :volcano-smiley:

One of 17,000 recognised species of the Hymenoptera Braconidae family (minus 3 of the 5 Latinate classifications...)

4633C71B-8EFB-4C77-A4FD-A995A31422DA.jpeg

Wiki quote:
Braconids are often used as biological pest control agents, especially against aphids.

It's between 80-92% RHumidity here at the moment, and mid summer, so the potential for insect life of all kinds is huge. How cool is it that I have these hanging out on my plants? :slide: In addition to the hover flies that live in the enclosure too :slide: This season is my first having a garden anything like this - feels very bless'd :love:

I also just learnt that one distinction between wasps and flies is that wasps often (usually?) have only one set of wings, flies have two. .

REPS to Fede :thanks:

Really nice looking growth showing Amy!

Good stuff in your journal, love the attention given to all the life around your grow too.
All these years under my belt, and it still amazes me to watch a seedling grow into a bush in a matter of weeks.
Nothing like outdoor grows in the summer to make a cannabis plant explode with growth, and of course your fine preparation.

Peace
Keith

I always enjoy visiting your place.
Fascinating pics.
:popcorn:

Lovely pictures, lovely growth.

Whether to stop foliar spraying before harvest depends on what is in the foliar spray.

When I had spider mites and was controlling them with a 2% neem solution, I sprayed very day of their clone lives, up to and including harvest.

Neem Oil itself tastes bitter/ick, but the buds were smooth and tasty - tastier when washed, but of dozens who have smoked neem sprayed pbuds, none complained, or even mentioned they tasted different than unsprayed buds.

Food for thought - lovely critter pictures.

Stunningly handsome girls.

Lovely pictures, lovely growth.

Whether to stop foliar spraying before harvest depends on what is in the foliar spray.

When I had spider mites and was controlling them with a 2% neem solution, I sprayed very day of their clone lives, up to and including harvest.

Neem Oil itself tastes bitter/ick, but the buds were smooth and tasty - tastier when washed, but of dozens who have smoked neem sprayed pbuds, none complained, or even mentioned they tasted different than unsprayed buds.

Food for thought - lovely critter pictures.

Stunningly handsome girls.

Thankyou kind sir!

so mostly I was just wondering about continuing foliars now that they're flowering... which clearly can do because everyone is discussing how soon to stop prior to harvest. Rad, you're a brixer, does the brix spray continue through into flowering?

I had an update planned for today and some catchup posts, but I've tuckered myself out playing with my newfound ability (and adventurousness!) to use my camera in manual mode and then working on and editing the pics. It's been a wonderful sunday getting high and looking at my plants through the camera and then zooming in on them onscreen - complete obsession indulgence all 'round. No more computer time allowed. Just a little phone based forum browsing, and then a rest before Federer comes out on court... both he & Cilic have an equally good chance of taking out the title - and I'll be happy for Cilic if he does - but I'm a Federer woman from when I followed him around a tournament in Sydney when he was 18 and already a bit magical...

Solstice babies update tomorrow

:circle-of-love:

Thankyou kind sir!

so mostly I was just wondering about continuing foliars now that they're flowering... which clearly can do because everyone is discussing how soon to stop prior to harvest. Rad, you're a brixer, does the brix spray continue through into flowering?

I do brix foliar every 7 to 10 days from when they have 6-8 big leaves up until 2-3 days before harvest. When I think they are ready to harvest, if it is the day after I Brix foliar spray (or the day after I water with Transplant,) - I wait 2 days, water wih GE, then harvest the 3rd day.

SweetSue harvests after feeding Transplant because she likes the medicinal terpenes when harvesting after Transplant, whereas I favor the sweetness that one gets after GE. I rarely consume cannabis, so I rely on folks like Duggan and SweetSue to tell me the differences they have observed.

Sorry Amy

Hey King - thanks for popping back in there, funny thing is, i actually owe you some Reps now! Let me explain...

First I have to say that I think the effort you put in to help folks out around the place is awesome and I can tell you're passionate about it. You're a good guy, that's obvious.

I reacted a bit the other day because I don't always think it's helpful when help comes in big long posts like that. So maybe you didn't need to include my whole update, just the part you were responding too would make it so much better. And the amount of screenshots was a bit over the top - I can do a quick google search too, so my question was more seeking out whether someone would pop in who could spot the type of insect (which can help narrow one's search) or the actual insect (and they did!). The irony of this is that the type of wasp in question was actually included in your list, but I missed it! I think that's partly because I was overwhelmed by the sheer size of what you posted but also because you were focusing heavily on it being a pest and I had no interest in seeing it as a pest, and TBH I thought that was clear in how I'd written about it.

So anyway - thanks for making the effort. I think sometimes it's ok to not be able to offer help. And maybe when you do, a bit more attention to the detail of the request, shorter quotes of others' posts, and many, many, less screen shots of google search results, would all be a good idea. That's just my opinion - others may feel differently...

In the meantime I owe you Reps as well - cause even tho I missed it, the correct critter was in there!

:Namaste:

Love a good rogue grow looking good love the pods too! Great idea! Looks like your in top nsw my uncles property looks similar.
Well I'm subbed and looking forward to what comes of your grow adventures

Hey Sneaky, nice to have you over.... :welcome:

First things first :passitleft: Glad you like the pods - I think they’re pretty cool. But if i’m doing it again (which I’m really not sure of at the moment) I need to make ‘em easier to get in & out of. The crawling is a killer! :phew:

I’m in the lower(ish) part of the coastline, actually - but yeh the bush looks similar in places, that coastal thing... plus we’re having a very wet season so that makes it look more northern too i think. Good to have you along for the ride :surf:

Hey Sneaky, nice to have you over.... :welcome:

First things first :passitleft: Glad you like the pods - I think they're pretty cool. But if i'm doing it again (which I'm really not sure of at the moment) I need to make 'em easier to get in & out of. The crawling is a killer! :phew:

I'm in the lower(ish) part of the coastline, actually - but yeh the bush looks similar in places, that coastal thing... plus we're having a very wet season so that makes it look more northern too i think. Good to have you along for the ride :surf:

Haha yes that crawling would suck! But atleast those plants are safe.

In the meantime I owe you Reps as well - cause even tho I missed it, the correct critter was in there!

:Namaste:[/QUOTE]

Wait so I was right it was that wasp?

I posted a whole bunch of screens because I was trying to short list a few insects I found and consider them to be.

Anyways I'll try to be ore considerate on your thread .

Glad you found the answer .

Update: The solstice babies

It's been a while coming so the photo diary on these babies has a lot to show. As you'll recall (or not) I dropped some seeds to mark the summer solstice (where's MerryAnna?). They're all at day 28 from birthing above the soil. You may have already noticed that 2 of them have been transplanted to the raised bed in front of the older girls (and they've snuk in to a photo or 2 of those). This transplant happened back on Jan 6. More on those 2 in a minute...

Golden Tiger x Northern lights #2

One of the Golden Tiger x Northern lights crosses from my friend was still in a tiny pot a few weeks ago (the one that didn't get transplanted) and looking a little pale so I decided it was time to move it. With no garden space left and no bush pod in a good spot sun wise (and no energy to move one) I decided that this baby can live out it's time in a pot inside the enclosure (where I can chase the sun if needs be, into Autumn). It's a 30L pot and soil wise I was a bit lacking in available options, so I used the left over soil mix from our veggie garden which was half last years garden soil mixed with mushroom compost. This has been sitting in a pile for about 2 months and rained on a lot so is probably a bit leached, but that's good I think, not too hot. To this I added a variety of things: about half a bucket full of good stuff from the bottom of our green compost pile, some garden lime (so basically crushed limestone powder), a mixture of my local clay and gypsum that I've been blending for a while, some more gypsum, and I had a friend visit so I made her smash up some of the scoria (lava rock) to add to the mix... it powdered up pretty well ;) ...

IMG_325224.jpg

IMG_325315.jpg

IMG_325419.jpg

I also added half a handful of homemade kelp meal and the same of neem cake meal, and about 15% coco coir. I could've included a pinch of epsom and a pinch of borax, but I forgot (can always water it in later).

Oh, and... insect frass anyone?

IMG_325520.jpg

Some of this went in too (this is a contraption for trapping mosquitoes - it catches other things too which is not ideal, but it's not going to waste. I sprinkled some on the other plants' soil too). Insect frass contains chitins.

So this was her on 21 Jan, straight after transplant at day 25 of her life above soil.

IMG_325621.jpg

I've since started some LST and it's coming along nicely...

Day 31 (Jan 27)

GTxNL2-day31LST.jpg

GTxNL2-day31newshoots.jpg

GTxNL2-day31-firstnodeshoots.jpg

Day 35 (Jan 31)

GTxNL2-day35.jpg

And this morning... Day 36

GTxNL2-day36.jpg

The Espalier experiments:

The other 2 solstice babies are fulfilling my desire to experiment with some espalier type training - along the ground to hopefully make some little hedges. The idea here is to break the apical dominance of the meristem (I'm practicing my new terminology) and to do this you continually push the top down so its lower than the nodes. This makes the plant 'think' the top is not going to make it so it starts putting new 'tops' out of the other nodes. I had to stop using my 'green sticks' approach because, well, they dry out don't they and then they get brittle and bad things can happen (i broke a node site - but only a little bit). Thanks to SweetSue for her tip about repurposing coat hanger wire (that she picked up from Pigeons420 - I love that guy). I've used garden wire from old protective fencing that i'm cutting into small lengths for the same purpose. Let's see how I'm going...

Ice Princess (ICE by female seeds - freebie)

This one is going slower than the other (that i'll show next) but I think it's getting there...

Day 28 (Jan 24)

ICE-day28-espalier1.jpg

ICE-day28-espalier2.jpg

Yesterday (there's an extra node since the last photo)

IcePrincess-day35-1.jpg

And today...
ICE-day36-1.jpg

ICE-day36-2.jpg

Golden Tiger x Northern Lights #1

This one is way more vigorous!

Day 28 (Jan 24)
GTxNL1-day28-espalier1.jpg

Getting that top down low is tricky when everything else is already on the ground!

GTxNL1-day28-espalier2.jpg

GTxNL1-day28-espalier3.jpg

And this is the same plant only 7 days later - I did some careful leaf manipulation daily in that time to open up the node sites to the sun.

Day 35 (Jan 31)

GTxNL1-day35-1.jpg

I love how the new 'tops' look like little trees spouting of the main stem.... :slide:

GTxNL1-day35-2.jpg

GTxNL1-day35-3.jpg

And here's one of her from the other side, the shape of the base is going to be kind of curvy - they don't seem to like going in a straight lines and besides, curves are nice :love:

GTxNL1-day35-4.jpg

SO that's where and what the 3 solstice babies are all up to. I'm very happy with them. :thumb:

I'm also very happy with the number of beneficial insects we have around. There's clearly some 'pest' activity but it's very minimal and I know that part of the reason for that is that we have lots of things like the hover flies and the tiny wasp you've already seen keeping the pests in check. There's also this fella (I'm fairly sure it's a male from the shape of the abdomen) who is always somewhere on the CBD critical cure, so right next to these solstice babies: Long legged fly - Dolichopodidae Austrosciapus connexus, to be precise.
... feed on smaller soft body insects such as aphids. Larvae are usually found in moist soil and under tree bark. They are either scavengers or predators of other insects larvae.

Longleggedfly.jpg

Keep 'em green and happy 420 lovelies

:volcano-smiley:

Wow, you certainly have been busy, what a fantastic garden you have going on. Love where you are going with this. Great photos and writing make this one of my favourite journals to visit.
:blushsmile:
:thanks:

Wake n bake day today :slide: mixing some bag weed with my homegrown Critical+CBD. Need rest - Star Trek binge is in order!

:volcano-smiley:

Star Trek? Heavy ;)

Update supplemental:

I couldn't resist - during a break in my weekend Star Trek binge (including the Voyager episode where Captain Janeway travels back in time "to bring Voyager home" and they end up all but destroying the Borg in the process, so cool. I'm such a nerd :cool:) i took a stroll out to my garden and just had to post the pics i snapped with my phone. I'm very excited by how they are looking and feel chuffed that my soil making and faithful leap into DIY foliars and drenches/teas is working. About 4-5 days ago I topped off the soil around the 2 older girls with a blend of some more rock dust minerals (lime, gypsum etc.), a dash of ground malted barley, a small handful of kelp meal, bit less of neem, a healthy pinch of epsoms and a small pinch of borax (my version of a recharge ;)). I'm watering more frequently, and there was some nice overnight rain a few days ago. They're due for another foliar in a few days. These pics were taken under the noonday sun :yummy:

I think they're looking pretty healthy, don't you agree?

CAD2E4F9-D99D-481B-885E-E595283439AE.jpeg

C2FEFF60-F791-4E85-95CD-F28E8A1E109C.jpeg

CBD CC top view (couldn't get high enough to get it all in the frame)
4D87188B-3890-4B80-BAFA-66DBA70A70A5.jpeg

FDDED273-21CD-4B75-81B0-8616B77D644F.jpeg

Professor Chaos top view (again - only part)
D35E3618-7F24-4AD2-A869-A7FA94BAB0BC.jpeg

Easily the best plants I have ever grown. I owe a large part of that to the many great things I learn and observe around here :love::thanks:

:volcano-smiley::Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom