Amy Gardner's First Journal - Outdoor - Critical Cure & Chaos In The Forest

Was visiting the garden in the evening light... couldn’t resist :ganjamon:

:yummy::yummy::yummy::yummy::yummy::yummy::yummy:

Nice looking plants there... making me want some spring spring spring... it's 0 degrees C right now high noon! Brrrrr

How many more weeks of the growing season do you have left outdoors Amy??

Here on the east coast USA I guess it would be similar to September down there eh?

Good time to have some flowers going!!! They look GREAT!

Hi Amy!,

Gosh your outdoor plants look great Amy! Love the critter close outs to your plant pics, a great touch. I haven't done an outdoor grow in several years, and your pics have me wanting to do it again. I better not, although it is about the right time here to get things in the ground outside. I think I am going to be moving across country in a few months, just waiting on a closing date on my home sale. I doubt the prospective new owners want a cannabis garden, but then again, maybe they do ... who knows?

I read up on your medical condition, and I think I knew a lady that was afflicted with your condition, onset was identical and her symptoms nearly match yours perfectly, but the medical peeps never nailed down a complete diagnosis for her. It really sucks when the very thing that keeps us healthier (exercise) actually makes you more ill, a terrible catch-22. It sounds like you are coping as best as anyone can, props for your efforts to keep life in front of you Amy. The grow I am helping with is going great, they are in flower now and have finished stretching. Carol is so very appreciative and engaged with the growing process, she keeps asking isn't there more to it? Hopefully before I leave here, and I can show her how to dry and cure. Harvest should be in about 6 - 8 weeks. Hempy (perlite only) plus LED panels make it so easy for folks new to growing if they just get a little help up front with the dos and donts. I hope you have a wonderful day! Keep positive, it's a difference maker!

Peace
Keith

Nice looking plants there... making me want some spring spring spring... it's 0 degrees C right now high noon! Brrrrr

How many more weeks of the growing season do you have left outdoors Amy??

Here on the east coast USA I guess it would be similar to September down there eh?

Good time to have some flowers going!!! They look GREAT!

Yes - I tend to count is as - July there, equates to January here. That could be completely wrong and I always mean to look it up properly, but that reckoning tells me it’s now equivalent to September as well so still some time to go yet. Our Summer Solstice was around Christmas. It can get cool and a bit wet into April here, sometimes very wet (like 4 years ago - oh it was frightful! Out there picking off budrot every morning ...), but this has been a particularly good growing season with only the perfect amount of rain, and less than predicted so I’m fingers crossed for a dry(er) April. May tends to be clear weather alot so mild/warm days and cool-cold nights.

The Solstice planted GTxNL in the large pot is potentially going to take about 12weeks though, maybe more...? Tomorrow is 2 weeks since I saw pistils pushing out the tops so that puts ready time between end April and end May sometime. The spot where the CBD CC is now is chosen for the way it holds the sun into autumn and the pot will go there soon when I harvest the CBD (maybe real soon). It’ll be an adventure for all of us! By then I would hope to have completed the light building project i’m planning so if need be at the end I can use the grow closet...

Gosh your outdoor plants look great Amy! Love the critter close outs to your plant pics, a great touch. I haven't done an outdoor grow in several years, and your pics have me wanting to do it again.
Yippee for my plants, right??! Thank you for admiring them - glad to inspiring you to grow outside again sometime, I hope you do. I’m loving it, and it puts me in the sun as well.

I read up on your medical condition,
Thank you for reading KK :hug:
props for your efforts to keep life in front of you Amy
... and for that too

... it really helps and means a lot when others understand the the functional paradigm, some. SO glad you’re friend is enjoying her garden, sounds like taking it over for herself is absolutely going to work out - nice work :surf:

Impending Harvest...

I took these this morning, of the CBD CC

There’s no real stoney-ness desired from this one, its for oil or tincture and even if I vape it mostly CBD is what I want here. ANd I plan to experiement with blending some oil infusion to get some more acid forms as well. Those amber are more numerous than I had expect at this stage. She’s only just hitting the breeeder’s projection. If it was to be a recreational THC dominant harvest I’d be leaving it a week or two, but not this one - I think it has to come down and soon! I’m organising buckets, lemons bi-carb etc. and working out where it’s going to go - caught me off guard by a couple of weeks...:)

The fun begins! Then the Professor will have that soil bed almost to herself for the last few weeks...

I'm not sure how much stock people put in Leafly's info, but I found this re your quest for CBGa:
"Scientists can also extract higher levels of CBG from budding plants by pinpointing the optimum extraction time, about six weeks into an eight week flowering cycle."

Also found this here for those seeking brain health:
"CBG was shown to stimulate neurogenesis (brain cell growth)."

Unfortunately, that article conflictingly said:
"All the major cannabinoids - THC, CBD and CBC in marijuana are biosynthesized from cannabigerol (CBG) by the rapid action of enzymes. Early harvesting therefore, doesn’t necessarily lead to especially high amounts of CBG."

Will you decarb CBGa as you would THC/CBD to convert it to CBG, or is the time/heat table completely different (if you know)?

From all I've read, you are in uncharted territory on this site. Keep us up to date!

I came away from my research into CBG thinking it’s noted for many of the very things CBD does. In my mind this means you win no matter when you harvest. Diversity of cannabinoids is always a good thing in my book.

I have to share that the thich shots got my blood pounding. Lol! Tickles the hell out of me how excited I get at the sight of a bunch of cloudy trichomes.

I can smell her perfume from here Amy. :slide: In time you’ll equate that smell with healing. It’s become one of my favorite scents.

When they turn amber they do it quickly, don’t they?

Some strains are naturally high in CBG. My Tikal from ACE had almost 3% CBG and that was at 17 weeks. The breeder time was 11-13 weeks. ACE's panama parental plants also have 3%+ CBG. I always thought CBG was a precursor for THC/CBD so if harvested too early you would have high CBG but I guess this isn't completely true based on test results I've seen.

I think what happens is the change is so aggressive it may be difficult to capture at the moment when CBG would be highest. I think of it like THCa, which will aggressively transform to THC at the slightest provocation.

I'm not sure how much stock people put in Leafly's info, but I found this re your quest for CBGa:
"Scientists can also extract higher levels of CBG from budding plants by pinpointing the optimum extraction time, about six weeks into an eight week flowering cycle."

Also found this here for those seeking brain health:
"CBG was shown to stimulate neurogenesis (brain cell growth)."

Unfortunately, that article conflictingly said:
"All the major cannabinoids - THC, CBD and CBC in marijuana are biosynthesized from cannabigerol (CBG) by the rapid action of enzymes. Early harvesting therefore, doesn’t necessarily lead to especially high amounts of CBG."

Will you decarb CBGa as you would THC/CBD to convert it to CBG, or is the time/heat table completely different (if you know)?

From all I've read, you are in uncharted territory on this site. Keep us up to date!

thanks Shed, yes the little reading I’ve done so far has been a bit conflicting too. I think I’ve missed the boat for early harvest on this one - and I now don’t think harvest time matters for CBG actually - was at first planning to do it this morning but had to call it off as I had a big day yesterday and I’m not supposed to do that. So in honour of my health I’ll hold it off till the weekend. It going to be nice dry weather then too - between now and then its a bit cool and and a little rainy, not great harvest conditions!

Some strains are naturally high in CBG. My Tikal from ACE had almost 3% CBG and that was at 17 weeks. The breeder time was 11-13 weeks.
yes - this is the stuff I’ve been reading about since yesterday - certain strains. Apparently subcool has one that is bred for it and is supposed to be at its highest at 9weeks of flower (but how that accuracy plays out in different growing conditions would likely vary I guess). I’ll look into that more in the future - one article suggested that CBD strains/chemovars are likely to have more, but it was that one that then went on to talk about the Subcool one, which is not a CBD dom. (Dammit can’t remember the name of it - it’s on my other device)
Edit: Mickey Kush! (But it doesn’t seem to be on their roster anymore)

I can smell her perfume from here Amy
you probably can!! Yesterday morning we noticed quite an amp up in the aromas... and first thing in the morning the wallaby was just hanging outside the fence near the girls just gazing at them LOL!!! “No soup for you!!”
Tickles the hell out of me how excited I get at the sight of a bunch of cloudy trichomes.
Mee too! Glad they tickled you too - I’m finding it a while new skill trying to photograph them...

I think what happens is the change is so aggressive it may be difficult to capture at the moment when CBG would be highest.
This makes sense and chimes with what I’ve read.
Apparently there is a recessive gene which inhibits the enzymatic activity that drives that aggressive conversion so plants with high CBG will most likely have this recessive gene, which can then be bred for.
Interesting what Nieko says then about Panama‘s parents - perhaps that recessive gene is present in that genetic line...

CBG is similar to CBD - but it interests me nonetheless. My idea that harvesting early might garner more of it is fairly well debunked tho. I’ll look into some chemovars with more of it... like Sue says - the broader the cannabinoid profile the better!

it wasn’t how I planned it but this CBD harvest will have a higher amount of CBN than expected, I’m deciding that will be beneficial... should enhance it’s physically relaxing properties.
:slide:

Pre-harvest photoshoot

CBD Critical Cure is coming down tomorrow. If this was a plant for recreational consumption, I'd be letting it go some more - but it's CBD oil and or vape I'm after here so amber is not a requirement. As it is - there's plenty of amber starting to show in the upper colas already and the lower trich forests are all cloudy as far as I can tell. Pistils are still fairly white all over but there're enough that have turned. I'd originally planned to harvest around the full moon - but the professor mught get that honour to herself now - not to mention the garden bed until then... ;)

Wow, making this post is like the moment before chop, once i post it it's final - is it the right time? should I wait? :eek: Here goes - once this is up it's as good as done :slide: then there'll be no decision to make or second guessing in the morning :rofl:

Last pics of CBD CC standing...

:yummy::circle-of-love::yummy:

Now that is a beautiful plant. I'd let her go longer just to keep looking at it. Seriously though I'd let that go longer. Like Duggan says, if you think it's done give it 1 more week maybe 2 and you'll be surprised at the weight and potency increase. You do still have a lot of fresh pistols. If you need meds, maybe just take cola for now and let the rest of it ride a couple more weeks. Just my 2, I'm sure it will be wonderful either way. Good job on her!

Now that is a beautiful plant. I'd let her go longer just to keep looking at it. Seriously though I'd let that go longer. Like Duggan says, if you think it's done give it 1 more week maybe 2 and you'll be surprised at the weight and potency increase. You do still have a lot of fresh pistols. If you need meds, maybe just take cola for now and let the rest of it ride a couple more weeks. Just my 2, I'm sure it will be wonderful either way. Good job on her!
:thanks: and i do get it about the pistils....The plant next to her is about the same and I’m definitely letting that go to full ripeness - won’t touch her till all the pistils are turned.

That one trichome pic seems like a lot of clear but you know what the rest looks like. If THC isn't the goal then it's the perfect time for an early harvest! Congrats...it's a beautiful plant, and more sun for some other :).
:thanks: Hmmm - I wondered about that clear question looking again last night...

Those two sentiments are exactly how I feel and why I’m lying here this morning wondering about letting it go another week! Definitely worth it just to look at her as neiko says ...
its true that THC isnt the goal here - but I’ve been madly trying to find info on how & when CBD develops in the plant and little is written about that specifically. What I have found is consistent info that CBD remains stable for a lot longer than THC so my fear that the CBD may be degrading already is somewhat allayed. I saw the high number of ambers in nearly all the tops and panicked a bit. Maybe we’ll stagger the harvest a bit like you say neiko... my partner is geared up to help me this morning so will discuss...

But yeah - that CBN couchlock was part of my concern too. I figure if the oil is in part to treat anxiety as well as pain (often neuropathic pain), the CBN and its sedative qualities is going to be useful there as well. It’s all an experiment - and I’d hate to be compromising the amount of CBD ... next Tuesday morning it is. And all at once! I’ll try to keep sections of the plant seperate from each other so I can store the buds with different levels of ripeness and experiment with small batches of oils - which is how I have to do it anyway! SO I can test what the higher CBN is like as opposed to the lower buds that have little to no amber. So, false alarm - I’l get better at this!

and buddiful. Grow on!

"buddiful..." :love: thanks G! And statuesque too :surf:

here’s some more... Couldn’t resist snapping this one today - an arm of the Professor, bout 2-3 weeks to go I think...

Back
Top Bottom