Amy Gardner's First Journal - Outdoor - Critical Cure & Chaos In The Forest

I’ve had spider mites twice and see why they call them “The Borg” lol
Being something of a Trekkie (not the creepy kind, I’m pretty sure...), I know a bit about the Borg...

Say PW - what the hell time is it where you are anyway? I can’t tell if you’re up really late or really early so don’t know if I should wish you a good evening or a good morning - so there, I wished you both!

And in either case... :passitleft:

:Namaste:

It’s early here, 3:37am. I have a 4:30 start time so the alarm went off at 2:30am.

Omg, that would be a nightmare of a job for me! Lol

I think nearly everyone I interact with here is over 45 at least! We all need more sleep than we used to eh!

Me too! There are some young’uns around. But there do seem to be quite a few of us medicating for aches and pains and our rhumatiz. Lol

Me too! There are some young’uns around. But there do seem to be quite a few of us medicating for aches and pains and our rhumatiz. Lol

I'll just mix in some Geritol with the edibles......

Thanks to @Radogast abd @Graytail for the heads up on the spider mites. I have some pics to share that may confirm this. It makes me think I’ve had them there for months being kept under control by the predators - because those little spot on the leaves have been around in small areas for ages, it’s only recently they picked up.

So yes, here... maybe these are eggs...

. . .

Amy out! :surf:
:circle-of-love:

Those could very well be spider mite eggs. The ratio of droppings to eggs looks like what I have seen on my mite infested plants. I'm pleasantly surprised not to see a spider mite itself in the photos.

From the photos, the general rule applies - spray most on the undersides of the leaves.

I saw a mite through the loupe today. And couldn’t make out any eggs. I didn’t see mites everywhere though. Just one, and I looked a lot. So we’ll see in the morning what greets me. I may be greeted by the borg or not. I may treat them again then with the rosemary spray - it didn’t seem to do them any harm. The weather is hot and dry too, which is apparently the mites favourite conditions for multiplying! Great! :eek:

From the photos, the general rule applies - spray most on the undersides of the leaves.
I did just that :thumb: :Namaste:

Mid Week Update: The Bush Pod

Money Bush (Heavyweight)

This one gets harvested tomorrow morning. Not much amber to speak of on it, maybe a hint, but it’s mostly for pain cream, and the rest of the plant tells me its ready (swollen buds, dried receded pistils and a bit of foxtailing here n there). Plus - I tested some popcorn trim off it a few weeks ago and it was already like being hit over the head! So it’s stoney enough IMO. Pain cream and sleep meds (and some gifts for friends that like being hit over the head ;) ), that’s the future here...

I didn’t trim off the botrytis branch down low enough. This whole branch will get quarantined at harvest and the whole plant will get a budwash with the extra step of H202 added, in the 1st of four buckets.

The rest of it looks ok as far as I can tell from outside the net.

As I finished watering (a little something for her last boost of energy before chop!) and was taking the photo above, I sensed I was being watched, so I turned around...

View media item 1526109

Hope I don’t dream about The Borg

I saw a mite through the loupe today. And couldn’t make out any eggs. I didn’t see mites everywhere though. Just one, and I looked a lot. So we’ll see in the morning what greets me. I may be greeted by the borg or not. I may treat them again then with the rosemary spray - it didn’t seem to do them any harm. The weather is hot and dry too, which is apparently the mites favourite conditions for multiplying! Great! :eek:

You seem to have aquired a lot of knowledge, and more than that widom, in your first grow.

I applaud your good decisions.

I didn’t trim off the botrytis branch down low enough. This whole branch will get quarantined at harvest and the whole plant will get a budwash with the extra step of H202 added, in the 1st of four buckets.

See. Knowledge on how to handle things and a strategy to do better next time.

The rest of it looks ok as far as I can tell from outside the net

Within the harvest window by the trichomes.

A nice looking plant - looks like it would have been a real heavy yielder in better light, but then the buds would have been even thicker and more susceptible to humidity.

A good way to grow this plant - Besides Money Bush / Bush Pod, you get gold stars for alliteration / poetic repetition.

As I finished watering (a little something for her last boost of energy before chop!) and was taking the photo above, I sensed I was being watched, so I turned around...

View media item 1526109

Hope I don’t dream about The Borg

You grow darn big rabbits on that land :rofl::slide:

:welldone:

Looking good Amy! Hope you get the bugs in check! Do you use paper bag method when curing? Or just straight from hanging into jars to get burped? I am also trying to get my curing "mojo" as I've only ever had to cure a couple times previously (years apart). And I kinda think I didn't do so well lol.

Well I didn’t dream about the Borg! I haven’t been out to check yet. It’s just before 7am here and I’m waiting for the pain in my legs to diminish before getting up to go out there ... gotta pace myself for the harvest too! I do love the harvest tho’ - the smells, the sights, the promise... :yummy:

You seem to have aquired a lot of knowledge, and more than that widom, in your first grow.

I applaud your good decisions
:thanks:
I’ve been reading this site and others as a lurker for many years while I dreamt about growing like this! I’m pleased all the osmosis has paid off!

Within the harvest window by the trichomes.
:thumb:
you get gold stars for alliteration / poetic repetition.
:circle-of-love:

You grow darn big rabbits on that land :rofl::slide:
:rofl::battingeyelashes:

Do you use paper bag method when curing? Or just straight from hanging into jars to get burped? I am also trying to get my curing "mojo" as I've only ever had to cure a couple times previously (years apart). And I kinda think I didn't do so well lol.

I didn’t have luck with the paper bag method when I tried it a few years ago - I kept forgetting about it and I overdried them (so user error ;) ).

This time I’m just straight from hanging (4-7days) and into jars. Opening every day for an hour or so if they still registered over 65% rh while in the jar. Then 10-20 mins open every day for a week or so, then opening once a week for a few weeks. I need to check that last tho. I’m just following Nebula Haze and it seems to be working. One thing she says is that during the early cure, if it starts to smell more and more like weed every day, then you’re doing the right thing. I’ve got that going on for sure. It looks more and more like nice weed everyday too.

I keep thinking I’ve over dried, but the meters a reading 65-66 after 24hrs sealed in the jar so even with 2-3 points inaccuracy I’m still not overdry so all seems good! :popcorn:

One positive thing about having botrytis buds is that it feels nice being able to use them for pain cream without having to go into your good stash! Almost all of my first batch of topical oil was made with frozen moldy bud that I steam-cleaned. Of course, after a few good harvests, there's more than enough to go around.
Yeah - that’s true. Plus it’s nice not to waste it. Tell me, do you know much about what the mould spores do when you steam them? I’m wondering if they become airborne while still active or something. I should find out because aspects of my illness are super triggered by mould so that could be a nasty scene - make pain cream, end up bedridden for months... not really what I’m after! I shall research this before I do it I think. In the meantime I’m about to have a shed-load of buds from it to get in with. It’s always been earmarked for pain cream/oil (ever since I read that it’s high THC you want for pain cream - thanks Sue).
Man it smells soo friggin great. Where we sit on our deck is about 100m from where the plant is, with bush in between, and the last couple of days it’s been very heady in the afternoons with the bush pod aromas!! That’s possibly a harvest ready sign too, yes? Couple of hot dry days helps too.

Harvest day! Yay!:cheer::yummy::surf:

Yeah - that’s true. Plus it’s nice not to waste it. Tell me, do you know much about what the mould spores do when you steam them? I’m wondering if they become airborne while still active or something. I should find out because aspects of my illness are super triggered by mould so that could be a nasty scene - make pain cream, end up bedridden for months... not really what I’m after! I shall research this before I do it I think. In the meantime I’m about to have a shed-load of buds from it to get in with. It’s always been earmarked for pain cream/oil (ever since I read that it’s high THC you want for pain cream - thanks Sue).
Man it smells soo friggin great. Where we sit on our deck is about 100m from where the plant is, with bush in between, and the last couple of days it’s been very heady in the afternoons with the bush pod aromas!! That’s possibly a harvest ready sign too, yes? Couple of hot dry days helps too.

Harvest day! Yay!:cheer::yummy::surf:
I love harvest day! Only time I minded it was when I had to trim what turned into 4 ounces dried on one sitting. My neck got sore from looking down the whole time.

I steam-cleaned my botrytis buds with the lid on so there were no escaping spores (and it keeps the steam in to make it effective). I think I linked this here but just in case:
Steam cleaning botrytis bud
Then the steam kills them while it stinks up the house :).

Back
Top Bottom