Black pepper a cure for cannabis related anxiety?

Hey Guys whats'up,

I've read through this entire thread and I've come to one conclusion everyone is different and the terpends are different but one thing is constant... we all are looking for ways to enjoy a dis-ease free life. Early on in this thread (even though its about black pepper) there were other solutions given that could solve the problems and its up to us to try them if the pepper isn't the solution.

Just a little background on myself and family, I'm a former Marine, was diagnosed soon after service as being bi-polar (which the military denies having any part in) they may be right cause I believe my whole family is crazy. But after being back in my home town for the last 7 yrs looking after my mom (my older sister was looking after her) I found that my family curse had struck my sister, now that my mom passed I'm now looking after her. Well, one night I came home and found that my sister had lit candles (citronella) all over the house stating that there were bugs (brought in by my dog) all over the house (totally untrue).

Well instead of trying to convince her that there wasn't any bugs in the house or getting rid of the candles I choose to just made sure that the candles wouldn't be a fire hazard and prevent hostility between us (and I'm the crazy one). Its been 3 months now since the candles, and until this thread I would have never connected the effects of the citronella candles, with how calm and nearly (how I remember my sister when I was younger) normal she's been lately.

Bottom line is this, Black Pepper isn't the only thing that can work for us. I think that with proper research we can find what works for us as individuals. So keep searching, keep sharing and together we all can find ways that the dis-ease can be lessened and/or eliminated completely.

Thanks guys for the help you've given me (the citronella) and the pepper I never would have connected the dots. Let's continue working for our health cause our government sure ain't.

I've been experimenting with pepper tea. A teaspoon - tablespoon full of pepper with a bit of lemon and honey makes a surprisingly delicious drink. Unfortunately that's about as far as it goes. Factoring in the unwieldiness of (presumably) having to drink it an hour or so before smoking- I haven't noticed any calming effect. It's a hard thing to quantify though and I've been too chicken to subject myself to a large dose of the killer indica. Will keep messing around with it. Not sure why such a large dose of pepper wouldn't have an obvious effect.
On the other hand like I said I never tried to push the cannabis high/stress level very far so it's hard to tell- but can't say I noticed myself being more any more relaxed than usual.

I've been experimenting with pepper tea. A teaspoon - tablespoon full of pepper with a bit of lemon and honey makes a surprisingly delicious drink. Unfortunately that's about as far as it goes. Factoring in the unwieldiness of (presumably) having to drink it an hour or so before smoking- I haven't noticed any calming effect. It's a hard thing to quantify though and I've been too chicken to subject myself to a large dose of the killer indica. Will keep messing around with it. Not sure why such a large dose of pepper wouldn't have an obvious effect.
On the other hand like I said I never tried to push the cannabis high/stress level very far so it's hard to tell- but can't say I noticed myself being more any more relaxed than usual.

When I make ginger, pepper, cinnamon, cardamon tea, I boil it for 1 hour. All the flavors get stronger as the boiling continues. At 1 TBSP per gallon, the pepper aroma is barely noticeable after 10 minutes of steeping, but quite strong after 1 hour of a rolling boil and steeping overnight.

My suggestion is that unless you plan to boil for a long time, fresh ground pepper aromas are likely to be much more effective than tea aromas.

P.s. It might not be right to associate calmness with anti-anxiety. It might be that the peppiness of the pepper signal is stronger than the marijuana based anxiety signal. Calmness might increase the sensation of anxiety. This would be like how you can jump-scare yourself out of hickups much easier than you can meditate hickups away.

Much respect Raziel. I would happily steal that day 37 plant from your garden if you let me. Start a journal and I would surely follow!

:cheesygrinsmiley: That was my second to last grow before I had to shut down for a year and she smoked good too, I was really proud of that girl almost as proud of her as having a girl in college.
DSC0000525.JPG
Royal Queen Critical.

My last grow was a Northern Lights Auto by Vision, I tried to mainline/flux her but it didn't workout like I thought she would, I stunted her growth but I still was able to get a little over a 1/4 lb dry off her, this is how she looked right before I harvested her.

DSC002528.JPG

But Shiggity I am now 14 days in from sprout on 1 Fast Buds auto GSC and 1 Heavyweight photo Strawberry Cake, I still haven't decided if I'm going to start a journal on them yet.

Same here, generally. If not, I look back at my notes (if it was my harvest) and wonder if I chopped too early. But we each have different triggers, it seems, even if we share some, too.

Someone mentioned citronella earlier in this thread - candles, I think? Is there any possibility that such things might be harmful to dogs, cats, or other household pets? I received a "mosquito plant," which I think is the same thing as a citronella. Before I realized that its repellent properties are (AfaIK) only achieved from crushing the leaves and rubbing them onto oneself, I was planning on using it in my cannabis garden to repel pests. Therefore, I did some reading - and it appears that it contains a couple of toxins which are harmful to dogs and (I think?) cats if they eat it. I have no idea how likely it is that a pet (specifically, in my case, cats) would eat it, but the possibility was enough for me to decide to give the plant to my mother. Anyway... are the candles/etc. potentially harmful to pets, too? Perhaps the fumes that the burning candles produce? The thought of something that might help repel pests appeals - but not enough to risk harming one of the animals. And I would have the products outside of the tent where the animals might encounter them instead of in the actual grow space, because I am not a fan of clogging the plants' tiny stomata.

Same here, generally. If not, I look back at my notes (if it was my harvest) and wonder if I chopped too early. But we each have different triggers, it seems, even if we share some, too.

Someone mentioned citronella earlier in this thread - candles, I think? Is there any possibility that such things might be harmful to dogs, cats, or other household pets? I received a "mosquito plant," which I think is the same thing as a citronella. Before I realized that its repellent properties are (AfaIK) only achieved from crushing the leaves and rubbing them onto oneself, I was planning on using it in my cannabis garden to repel pests. Therefore, I did some reading - and it appears that it contains a couple of toxins which are harmful to dogs and (I think?) cats if they eat it. I have no idea how likely it is that a pet (specifically, in my case, cats) would eat it, but the possibility was enough for me to decide to give the plant to my mother. Anyway... are the candles/etc. potentially harmful to pets, too? Perhaps the fumes that the burning candles produce? The thought of something that might help repel pests appeals - but not enough to risk harming one of the animals. And I would have the products outside of the tent where the animals might encounter them instead of in the actual grow space, because I am not a fan of clogging the plants' tiny stomata.

Citronella makes me gag. for me, my body says it is bad.
Citronella is generally considered a non-toxic skin and throat irritant,

Citronella makes me gag. for me, my body says it is bad.
Citronella is generally considered a non-toxic skin and throat irritant,

That's why I said that we have to try different things to find which works best for us as individuals, citronella happens to work for my sister and for that, I thank God.

But don't give up, you'll find what works best for you and please share the findings, it may work for someone else too. And BTW my dog Wolf is fine, citronella doesn't effect him, at least that's what he tells me. :thumb:

Cool. It must just be the plants.

Thanks Radogast. I've tried various concoctions, the last one was a full tablespoon of fresh ground pepper steeped in a cup and a half of water with lemon and honey. It was definitely peppery, and very tasty. I wasn't necessarily expecting it in itself to make me relaxed, it was a prelude to a night of smoking (of course). I didn't notice an effect.
Smelling the pepper does have a clear effect for me. I did it several times last night. I was busy trimming till past 4am, smoking a lot of Malawi, and some Mama Thai, and some Thai Stick... (Actually I smoked a little Blueberry as well now that I recall).
No paranoia for me with the sativas but the pepper is still a welcome thing to have on the table. Like last night, in the middle of the night when I'm feeling like I've become somewhat hypnotized and my focus has shrunk down to, not a pinhole exactly, but let's just say most of my universe is contained on the table in front of me. A good universe to be sure, but a good whiff of pepper and it expanded to include the whole room and I lost that feeling of being in a small happy smoky tunnel. It cleared my head.

TS I've been through a gallons of citronella oil in my life, working many years of my life planting trees in various circles of bug-hell in the Canadian north. I would be soaked in it. It works for those bugs, but just barely, and needs constant and liberal reapplication. I suspect that a mosquito might feel mildly uncomfortable perching on a citronella plant but figure that probably about the extent of their anti-bug powers.
Was licked by many dogs but none died.
I can't remember whether I felt less paranoid than usual.

Shiggs,
I have to thank you for this thread in a BIG BIG way. I have read every single page, all posts related to the topic and I learned what google could NOT provide me on searches I've done in the past. I just read through it again, because I want to absorb more of the information that everyone has provided.

I hit a really hard panic attack after vaping one of my hybrid Indica dominant strains a few months ago, and I tried chewing on some peppercorns per suggestions by people on the net. They were awful, and despite trying it several times during the attack...it did absolutely nothing for me besides taste terrible and I actually got one piece stuck in my throat. Not to mention spitting out pieces of pepper shell for a while afterwards.

Last night I had another one after an unusually large (for me) dinner of infused items....I knew better...but I did it anyway. I went overkill on things because I had something for lunch that had canna infusion to it as well. (newfound freedom to use my cannabis after a long awaited drug test at work was finally done)

THIS time I remembered this thread, and I ground up some fresh peppercorns and went to "sniffing". Yeah...the sneezing was there, and it took a few times before I finally started feeling the panic dissolve. Before I tried the pepper I couldn't even lay down on the bed, the minute I tried, my racing heart and head took over and I was right back up. I was pacing back and forth across the house, shaking from seemingly every inch of my body and trying desperately to keep my mind redirected to quelle the panic. "Stop here, stare at that...what's on the TV?....redirect...redirect." I think I wore a path in the carpeting. :laugh: Although, at the time this was not funny in the least. I can't even tell you what the panic was about, it was just a general feeling that something is about to come crashing down and there was nothing I could do to stop it. It's hard to explain. Feeling, and literally hearing my heart pound. ARG!

I, like so many others here, will now keep that pepper grinder very very handy. I do not believe it was a placebo effect, I could physically feel the changes my body was taking when it started working. For me, it was about 20 minutes as a whole before I could lay down in that bed and feel calm and relaxed with enough concentration to watch some tv and giggle at some toons on adult swim channel. I slept calmly the rest of the night. But I do NOT want to go through that again.
The future fix is certainly to limit myself with my consumption of cannabis foods, but knowing that there is something to help just in case...is so soothing to the mindset.

:thanks:

I will certainly be offering this suggestion to others...now that I have tested it first hand and can say with confidence that it worked for me.

Did you get your anti freak-out potion/lotion concocted yet?

Im glad that the pepper helped you. I have experienced panic attacks in the past and know first hand how that feeling of impending doom feels. I chuckled when you mentioned adult swim for that seems to be my nightly routine too...lol......anyways

Happy New Year. Please stay safe everyone

Oh .....I am so hooked on that channel. I watch it until I fall asleep every night when I get home from work.
Finding the hidden [AS] or [Adult Swim] in the pictures has become a great mind teaser.

You have a safe and Happy New Year too!

Join us at Shiggs' Holiday Smokathon thread to bring in the new year if you like!

Holiday Smokathon 2016-2017 Dec 24-Jan 1st

Back
Top Bottom