Blazingbuds' CFL & LED Soil Grow - Unknown Strain

Hi blazingbuds!
I am also a very new grower, i have started my second grow on 08/29/15 and also have a grow journal on them. I am a grower on a buget so all my equipment i have found around the house. I don't plan on spending bunches on this for the simple fact that im doing this to save me some money. Well dont want to ramble just wanted to let you know i subscribed to your journal so if i may help just let me know!

Hi BLAZINBUDS :thanks: for inviting all of us to your grow experience.
I am also a new grower. My grew first grow came to a sudden hualt when I found out it was a big Male...It broke my heart.
Anyways I also have a grow journal that you are welcome to take a look at. Its called Second time around..
Have a great day..

Quick pic update. Shes starting to smell good. Whats up with the yellowed seedling??? Off to work now.
20150903_121301.jpg
20150903_120802.jpg
20150903_120653.jpg
20150903_120610.jpg

I was the same way being scared to top but glad I did. I'm now having trouble keeping track of how many mains I have lol. Wait a week I bet you'll end up with 6 or 7 before going into flower if you lst also.

Good job. Keep up the good work !!

Thanks! I don't know if you guys could tell from the photos i posted, but i did do LST for a day. Then I got high later that day and decided to untie her?? I was confused as how to progress from there, but that really made that side branches explode. Anyway, I have tied her down again after your suggestion.

Top and top some more......hell throw some LST in there while your at it :thumb:
Haha will do. I've seen some pretty crazy ways to manipulate plants on here. As I said above, I LST'd again. Thanks for the advice!

Thanks for the subs everyone, a lot of people hopping on together! Otherwise I would've addressed you individually!:welcome:

For the people just joining, my largest plant will be a month old on the 8th-Unknown Strain
The bigger, but yellowed, seedling is about a week-Headband
The smaller two, but healthy seedings are about 4 days-OG Kush Bagseed

hell yea man, with LST, keep her tied down until she stays that way by herself (couple of weeks, maybe). with my current girl, i didnt untie until i had already tied down the same branch again, a few nodes up. the term "low" is all relative; you can bend her really far before breaking. keep the top lower than other branches and it will force auxin to be produced in the lower tips, making them stretch out more. don't underestimate the power of LST alongside topping! they all look great man, can't wait to see how they mature

Yeah I hope it comes along as nicely as yours. I have a couple questions. Can I change my light schedule to 18/6? I just feel it would be better for a number of reasons. Also, when should sex start to show? I check every day at the side branches for pistils.

If you're still vegging then change your light schedule to whatever you like. 18/6 is standard for regular plants tho 20/4 or even 24/0 is claimed to be better by some.

I'll soon have a veg tent going at 24/0 just because it will keep temps more even in the cold basement outside my dedicated flower room that has all the environmental controls working great in it.

L8r

Wish I'd known about LST earlier. I have some tall, bushy plants starting to bloom. I think somebody tried to describe "bending the stems," but I didn't understand at the time. Still not too late, but the stems are pretty stiff. I'm enjoying your adventure. FYI, I don't recommend using garden soil, but you can sterilize it by baking it. Also, I believe that a 10:1 solution of water and hydrogen peroxide kills critters and aerates soil a little. I sterilize and reuse potting mixes and cloning plugs.

Weekend Update
Side branches are going crazy. The stem thickness is already the same as the original node set they began on. The leaf in the middle of this picture is actually a side branch. You can see the one fan leaf has stretched out bigger than the head/center leaf. Heres one side.
20150905_175552.jpg

The other side
20150905_175409.jpg

Starting to smell good when you crack the grow room
20150905_175538.jpg

Starting to fill out even more. Im trying to get her to stretch, but sideways. I have the CFL light fixture I built on one side. The pot gets rotated so both sides will fill out evenly. One side has stretched noticeably.

Treated myself to some Chocolope this weekend. Super tasty, but i bet Atliens is much better!
20150905_165857.jpg

20150905_175329.jpg

weekend update
side branches are going crazy. The stem thickness is already the same as the original node set they began on. The leaf in the middle of this picture is actually a side branch. You can see the one fan leaf has stretched out bigger than the head/center leaf. Heres one side.
20150905_175552.jpg

the other side
20150905_175409.jpg

starting to smell good when you crack the grow room
20150905_175538.jpg

starting to fill out even more. Im trying to get her to stretch, but sideways. I have the cfl light fixture i built on one side. The pot gets rotated so both sides will fill out evenly. One side has stretched noticeably.

Treated myself to some chocolope this weekend. Super tasty, but i bet atliens is much better!
20150905_165857.jpg

20150905_175329.jpg

i hope my lil girls(fingers crossed) look as good as yours

So I feel like I should start feeding her nutes soon. Probably going to go with the Roots Organic Line, or maybe something cheaper. Also, should I regularly give cal/mag with watering? Or is it a supplement type thing; use as needed?

So I decided to take my own advice and get some higher color temperature CFL bulbs. I was hoping to find some 6500k with good light output. Long story short, I ended up with 5000k, they are 100w equivalent, which comes to 23 actual watts. I also bought 3 light splitters, which allows me to now run six bulbs on that fixture. For a total of 600 watts of CFL or 138 actual watts. I put all 4 500k bulbs in the CFL fixture, and 2 2700k bulbs to achieve a mixed spectrum of sorts.

After I set this up, I closed the closet and locked it, because my GF's mom was coming over. I'd rather not have that conversation. LOL
She stayed for a few hours, and when I opened the closet after she left. Woah. 99 degrees.
So
A) I'll have to DIY an exhaust. Or an intake. Or both.
OR
B) Keep the closet open while its on. Which isnt a problem if I switch to the 18/6. I can have it open while I'm home, and locked and off while Im working.

What do you guys think?

On another not her top has recovered nicely. Ill have to update again tomorrow for a better view. Can side branches grow sides branches? Because i want to say i see a pistil. I cant tell if its another very young branch. Time will tell.

I'm having people over next couple days, so it's locked with only 2 5000k bulbs and 300w LED to keep temps at around 85. Shes happy at 85 lol.

20150906_154624.jpg

Back
Top Bottom