Blueberry Canuk & Euphoria Royal Queen - Organic Soil - CFL Only - First Grow

Transitioning to 12/12...

Do you recommend any form of smooth transitioning, like dropping 1 hour of light per day ?
ex: 20/4, 19/5, 18/6, 17/5... 12/12 : This would last for 8 days ;-(

And if transitioning like that, should the transition start on day 30 (if I choose to start flowering on day 30) ? I suppose the plants will not really "switch" until they "feel" 14/10 or 13/11... ?

Suggested rate of darkness period increments/duration ?

Sorry if I should have researched this topic on my own somewhere... I felt lazy and I really appreciate the direct-help !
I just jump right to 12/12. I know people who do 3 days in darkness before flip. I have never done that, some other friends slowly decrease the light schedule until they've reached 12/12. This I have done and I haven't found much difference if any myself. It's all preference really

CFL color spectrum for flowering :

I hope I don't need to replace a dozen 6500K cfls to get a more red (2700K) spectrum.
Is it a fact that the 6500K actually don't have less red, they just have more blue (the 2700K have the some red, just no blue) ?
If this is true, there shouldn't be any problem flowering at 6500k ? (some say that an amount of blue is needed anyway during flowering).

Has this been experimented/documented ? Is it possible the 6500K/2700K recommendations for CFL's are simply a paradigm from other types of light, and not really applicable to CFLs ?

Any link to a documented experiment (or any scientific knowledge) would be greatly appreciated !

Hey, after doing my own research... I found some light spectral graphs.
Those are for GE's. I have Philips, but I suppose it must be similar.

These images I actually got directly from GE's website :
Spectral-1.jpg

This is from some forum, source unclear...
Spectral-2.jpg

Lets just interpret the official GE graphs :

2700Ks have less of everything, except for a red PEAK. And the pinks in the ~500nm wavelength are more for Veg than Flowering.

From Royal Queen seeds :
1. Vegetative Stage – “Blue” light for healthy leaves (range: 400-500nm; ideal: 460nm)
2. Flowering Period – “Red” light for giant buds (range: 620-780nm; ideal: 660nm)

On the GE graph, the biggest red peak is at around 615nm (close to the 620 minimum). The next peak is around 630nm; Both are below the IDEAL 660nm. The 2700K and 6500K have somewhat similar reds except for the 615nm peak.

Sooooo...
My 6500K setup probably has over 80% of the useful reds that an entire replacement with 2700Ks would have...
Not even accounting for what a lot growers do (to cover all bases I suppose) : mixing different spectrums.
If they mix 50-50% of 2700Ks and 6500Ks, they probably get very little more reds overall. And they loose huge amounts of blues and other colors. (2700Ks have NOTHING around the 460nm)

Think of it... fitting 1 more 6500K to a 6xCFL setup (7 lights) will prob provide as many reds as replacing the 6x6500Ks with 6x2700Ks, and give more light globally, in all spectrums, including the blue and green that are useful in ALL growing stages.

I guess I'll go ahead and do the whole grow with 6500Ks. I think 2700Ks are lacking a full spectrum and don't provide that much useful reds.

Your impressions / experiences are welcome !

Re: Blueberry (Canuk) & Euphoria (Royal Queen) || Organic soil || CFL only || First g

Question :

Should I cut the first true leaves, as they are touching the soil, are small, and don't receive any light ? Or wait few more days after my recent FIMming ?

THX
I'd wait a few days myth says those lower ate power houses. But once start to yellow remove. As waste of plants time and energy to try to keep alive. . .

They are looking great! You won't need nutes for awhile. You can take the leaves now, but I suggest you wait awhile. I usually don't touch mine until they are yellow. They help with growth so there isn't much point in taking them. You have enough ferts to last you a month maybe more. Good idea on the fabric pots. As they will air prune your roots. Keep up doing everything you have been. If you have any questions don't be shy. I'm subbed now so I'll be around. In soil I always try and stay ph 6.2. You can let it go up to 6.5 every so often using alkaline to eat away salt buildup. Keep an eye on ph out as well as going in.
Yeah I was right my masters taught me well. Lol.

A tale of two FIMminists...

I FIMmed Blue/Phoria 3 days ago. Both plants reacting not the same way, it seems.

Was one a successfull FIM and one unsuccessful ? Phoria looks TOPped maybe...

Uphoria :

Euphoria-20_Fim.jpg

Blueberry (2 photos) :

Blueberry-20_fima.jpg

Blueberry-20_fimb.jpg

Comparison of the 2 side by side...

Euphoria-20_Fim_Compare.jpg

It seems Blue is developing a tight bunch of leaves, while Phoria is like FUUM (Fuck you, you missed!)

What do you think ? Have a nice day, y'all !

Yes that one looks like a proper fim

Well, I guess it will be much more fun this way; An opportunity to experience both methods and see what I like best in the end !

One thing looks obvious : Blue has a head-start in developing new stems and Phoria looks unsure what to do next.

EarthJuice :

Got my EarthJuice trio today (grow/bloom/catalyst). Good thing, Blue/Phoria are starting to get a paler green (I think, it's subtile).

I premixed a very mild concoction (grow+catalys) in 4L water (Each girl drank ~ 2L plain water last time).

Its been 2 days and they will most likely need watering in ~24/36 hours. We'll see if the small dosage does anything.

Scent control :

Ordered a scrubber (inline fan + carb.filter kit) today. Euphoria is very smelly even at 3 weeks Veg.
Blueberry (to my great surprise), smells almost nothing and it's a softer, more floral smell.

3 weeks anniversary!

Yep BluePhoria are 21 days old, ahaha.

Had to do a little LST on them, mostly Euphoria (she's going crazy), to try to expose all leaves and the center.

Blue :

Blueberry-21.jpg

Phoria:

Euphoria-21.jpg

A tale of two FIMminists...

I FIMmed Blue/Phoria 3 days ago. Both plants reacting not the same way, it seems.

Was one a successfull FIM and one unsuccessful ? Phoria looks TOPped maybe...

Uphoria :

Euphoria-20_Fim.jpg

Blueberry (2 photos) :

Blueberry-20_fima.jpg

Blueberry-20_fimb.jpg

Comparison of the 2 side by side...

Euphoria-20_Fim_Compare.jpg

It seems Blue is developing a tight bunch of leaves, while Phoria is like FUUM (Fuck you, you missed!)

What do you think ? Have a nice day, y'all !
Too low cut maybe?

Exactly. I did a first cut than tought i should remove more. Was too much.
But hey... Euphoria has put a lot of growth elsewhere while Blueberry was growing more at the top.
The two now have different strategies and i think its fun to watch, and learn.

Back
Top Bottom