BT'z 2nd Grow: Super Lemon Haze & Golden Leaf

I know newty does a strip and flip all the time and it really works for her. I did my AK but I'm not sure if it helped or hindered yield. I do know that I'll keep doing it strictly for airflow because the RH up here is rarely under 60% for long and my plants end up pretty dense...a recipe for bud rot! I'll be lollipopping Sour G this weekend in prep for the summer flower season.
I get the humidity thing. Down in SD, we are in the mid 50's most of the time. I think what I'm going to start with is actually the Lollipopping idea down lower and see how that does first. They all seem to have a closer node distance near the top right now, and if they are slowing down on the stretch that could be good. I'm approaching 21days and the source of the SLH seeds suggest a flower time of 60-65days. So maybe 1/3 of the way towards harvest???

Thanks! Can you find me where it says that defoliating shortens node spacing during stretch? I don't want to go through the whole thing. And did he test the theory with two clones under identical conditions?
I don't feel the action actually shortens the nodes. I think is slows down the stretch which shortens the nodes spacing towards the end of the stretch.

However, I will do this as test on a couple of pairs of clones from two different strains as they go into the stretch stage in a few weeks. Then we will all have a better idea of perhaps whats going on. I have several very well balanced pairs of clones in the moment vegging.

Will most likely flip while still in the Veg tent just before the current Flowering tent occupants are harvested.

All this is on the very first page:

Defoliation encourages branching in vegging plants in the same way as nipping the leader. The benefit of this technique is that the leader is retained to continue to create branches. It also shortens nodal length creating a more compact specimen.

3 decades of experience with this technique reveal that bud growth benefits more from light exposure than whether the corresponding fan leaf is present.

*note, if for some reason they get so tall that you lose light adjustment before stretch is over, if you strip them hard, they will stop stretching for the most part. This is a simple way to manipulate height.

Do not be scared or subject to the "solar panel" jargon. Far better growers than I have been doing this quietly for many years.
:passitleft:

All this is on the very first page:
Well! That sounds pretty conclusive and rather like he's got it down to a science.

I thought I remembered something about height manipulation. Do you feel that would apply to adjust the apical branches? Let's just say that the shorter branches don't get defoliated and the taller ones do. Slowing down the taller ones so the shorter ones can catch up without super cropping would be good.

Thanks again for digging this part up. I was actually sitting down just now to go through the technique before going down to do the deed.

I feel it might be valuable to figure out a comparative defoliation grow for yield results. As I have some matched pair clones, several comparisons might be draw from the process.

Hi Bro! :high-five:

I’m not sure if the effects can be targeted like that. Aggressive defoliation likely results in a plant-wide response.

Bassman59 addresses height issues with bending. You could try some shorter bends across the more vacant middle of the plant. Say, the upper 8-10” of the tallest stems. That would further expose those nodes that are 3” apart, and result in some larger buds at those nodes.

Day 67 - 20 days post flip. As discussed a couple of days ago a major defoliation was planned for 21 days after flip/stretch started. The SLH Lemon Sisters and Gilda of the Gold Leaf have been growing extremely well. A defoliation in keeping with what I call the Bassman Defol was performed this morning. The images are explicit :eek:and those of a sensitive nature :oops:should turn away if you don't wish to be offended.:rolleyes: Otherwise, here we have it!o_O

As seen Sheila and Stella both have reached high and are pushing the top of the measuring stick. :thumb:Their Sativa heritage is showing through.
Gilda not quite as tall but she is a Indica Dom strain.
The defoliation has certainly improved the space in the tent. :yahoo: Lots more light will now penetrate deeper to some of the lower nodes on the branches. :p I'm sure more air flow and some reduced humidity won't bother any of them. It does appear that my initial idea of having this many plants is doable. After next week, we will get to see the space allotment with all 5 trimmed. I'm not expecting much more fan leaf action down low, and the process now includes removing any fan leaf with a stem longer than 1.5ins to be pinched off. For those who like the solar panel idea, you will notice that the top most fans are retained.

I I also topped 5 clones. Three SLH and two of the Gold Leaf. Another couple of the Gold Leaf will be topped within the next 2-3 days. Part of the selection process to be used in choosing which ones remain through the cull will be determined by the best recovery and following growth. Pictures in a few, not exactly attractive at the moment.

Looking great! :yummy:

You might consider bendind the tallest stem on both Stella and Sheila (at around 15-16” on your ruler) across the middle of the plant toward the lowest stem. To bend, use the method described by bassman59, and twist about 90 degrees into the final direction as you make the bend. If you can visualize it, this supports the stem above the bend by putting it on top of the bend.

Overall, it will provide a more even canopy, and further expose those buds to light.

Day 68 - One day post defoliation, everyone was extremely thirsty including those defoliated. I did take some pictures of some buds on top of the SLH's. Being a novice, I'm wondering if they are the beginning to bud stack? Does that also signal a slow down of the stretch?
I mentioned topping some of the plants in the veg tent. Here's a picture.

I feel there is a slight level of nutrient deficiency going on the SLH three and two of the Gold Leaf plants. Watching and feeding. I am doing an experiment FelipeBlu and I are calling "How Low Can You Go". All the plants are getting the same exact amount of ppm in nutrients, so for only 5 of them to be showing issues might indicate another issue. The SLH's did experience an extreme lack of watering and the two GL's almost as dry. But that was about 5 days ago and I soaked them for a couple of minutes before draining afterwards.

Finally, a shot from inside the Clone Box. 4 extremely healthy plants have really begun to feed heavily.

Thanks MH. Definitely seeing the rounded top on the SLH's. Will keep an eye and see if that continues. Currently the SLH's have zoomed up to within 20inches of their personally raised light. Interestingly the others on the right side have also stretched up to within 20inches of their light also. It's just lower. Might have to raise it a bit over the next week.

Back
Top Bottom