Carcass' $150 Low Budget Grow 2019

Monday is here again ,must be update time!
The girls have been doing what they're supposed to do,growing like weeds-not much taller,but a lot
bushier in the last few days,I've already defoliated them twice to let the light get where it needs to go-
not a major defol, just the leaves growing inward,over the center budsites-seems like new ones pop up every day-I clip them when they're small,so they don't really have time to block anything...
This pic is this morning before their daily defoliation:

The Peyote Critical (left one) is going to be a really branchy thing-I'm already having to defoliate
the small center shoots-minor defol,but it's pretty much a daily thing with her-she's trying her best to grow like a head of lettuce,but i'm doing my best to keep that from happening.

This is her after her little haircut today-nothing major,just the leaves that were in the way:

The Northern lights isn't branching as aggressively as the PC,so she doesn't need a haircut-not today,anyway...she's actually growing more like I'm used to-fast enough,but not quite as fast as the PC:

They both outgrew the bamboo/frogtape restraints,so now I'm doing the more conventional
"hook the ties under the edge of the pot" method, also loosened things a little so they could gain a little height-not much yet,but enough to get the leaves up off the soil.
I watered and fed them last on the 8th,and added an extra gram of Mega Crop (each) to the mix,so any hint of yellowing has resolved itself-they're nothing but green now.
Here's a side shot to show what I mean by gaining a "little" height-they're about 3.5 inches now,up from about 2" a few days ago:

The Quadlining is going well,they're 27 days from sprout now-once the mains reach the edge of the pot,I'm going to let them grow "up" for a week or so,then they get flipped to 12/12-seems early,but my headroom is pretty limited in there (34",floor to light),so even though I'd like them to grow huge, I can't do that in here- I think width may end up being more of a problem than height...

I can't do an update without including a pic of the male outside-He's grown 2" since friday-50" tall now-17 more inches and we'll be the same height
At the rate he's going,he'll be 11 or 12 feet tall before he flowers-I'll probably take a few clones and chop him before then,but we'll see....

That's about all there is to report on today-I'll update again next Monday-the indoor girls will have changed quite a bit by then....the outdoor guy will just be taller...

Thanks for looking-I really appreciate the support!
See you next week......:peace:

Thanks,Reave- I learned with the last 2 (male) plants that the standard LST routine wasn't going to
do the trick height wise,and I waited too long to flip to flower-If they doubled in size during the stretch,they'd of been up against the light-these plants are over a third of the way there already,and they're shorter now than they were when I topped them.
So,I'll have to make this work-once I flip to flower,the "moving them outside" option is off the table...

Do a google search for the Mars TS-2000. I found another 'site where Mars is offering the same give-away. I joined and entered the contest there as well. It took several hours for the admins to grant access, so do this early. There is a lot of crap I find offensive or inappropriate on the site, but the light will be worth it. It makes me appreciate this form much more.

I would really like to see the build of this grow space my friend
Thanks,Dean-Check the first entry in this thread-It's got the (cheap) materials list...if you've already got a light
It would only cost about 30 bucks to put one together...the only problem is it's a little short (44") but if necessary,you can squeeze another 11" out of it-just need to add a 24x24" piece of cardboard,and some packing tape to hold things together.

Today was watering/nutes day and fortunately,it rained last night,so I've got enough rainwater to last through this grow...
Figured I just do a little "thing" on feeding the plants with Mega crop,since there's not a whole lot going on with my plants...

So,here's my rainwater collection apparatus:

From there,the water goes into 5 gallon buckets,and the bucket I use for my plants
is treated with mosquito dunks to kill the soil gnat larva...I'm using new soil,and it comes with a bonus...fresh gnats!
Anyway,from the treated 5 gallon bucket it goes into gallon jugs,and I sit it on my multi purpose warmer for a few hours,just to bring it up a few degrees above room temp:

Then it's into the grow room to add the nutes- a nice thing about the grow box,is that you can sit stuff on top of it while you're working-just keep the heavy stuff close to the edge.
So here's the nutes and the little bottles that I dissolve the goodies in:
(the guy on the Mega crop bag looks like me,if his hair was about 2 feet longer)

So next,weigh out 4 grams or so of Mega Crop for each gallon (I went with a tad more,because these plants seem hungrier than the last ones...

Then into the little pill bottles-which I'll fill about halfway with almost hot water,then put the cap on and shake the crap out of it for a minute or so to dissolve the granules of MegaCrop-this is important,because if you just dump it into the gallon of fairly cool water-you need to shake it for about 5 minutes to get it to dissolve-good exercise,but more work than I want to do-hence,the small bottles and warm water....

Then just dump it in the gallon,shake it up a little,and you're done mixing nutes-that's why I like Mega Crop....I'm lazy,and it's easy...
I hadn't shaken the jugs yet,that's why all the brown goodness is at the bottom

So next is actually the most important part,checking PH-I just stick the meter in the top and squeeze the jug a little to bring the water up to the tester...

I like 6.2-6.4 ,so I'm going to call this good-if I had to lower it a little,I'd add 5 drops or so of white vinegar...rain rater is usually real close,so I seldom have to adjust it...
So that's all there is to it-now I dump it in my little dollar store watering can and water the plants using @Emilya's method-the whole gallon goes in,slowly,and I get about 25-30% runoff-I don't PH the runoff-can't really do much about it if it's wrong,so I don't even worry about it

And here's the plants- all happy after a nice big gulp of their favorite beverage-It had been 8 days since their last drink-and It was ten days last time,so they're getting thirstier as they get a little bigger...

Well,that's about it for this entry in the ol' journal-I do want to mention that I was reading through @InTheShed 's journal,and found there's an even easier way to mix up the Mega Crop-
basically you weigh out a double portion,pour it into one gallon,then add another gallon to that,
and you've got your nutes-this way both plants get the exact same strength dose....
Thank you for that,Shed-damn good idea!

Not a very exciting entry,but I had a little time on my hands,and this is what I did with it...

Thanks again for looking,I appreciate the support!
See you Monday(ish)

Thank you for that,Shed-damn good idea!
Just passing along a great tip I got from Dr Doob! He mixes 5 gallons at a time and uses a transfer pump to water the plants. I just do it the way you described and it's simple enough for me.

I haven't found it a problem to dissolve the MC in cool water though. My tap water is running in the high 60s these days and I just go straight into that and shake the bottle as I walk from the sink to the plants. By the time I get there it's all dissolved.

I just had trouble getting all the chunks to dissolve in cold water-it was pretty cold though-
Next time I'll try it in the jug after 2 hours on the multi purpose warmer;)

Thanks,jetsgrower, I appreciate the compliment...
I did have to up my budget by $8.00-had to replace 2 fans,
so I bought the last 4 they had at the dollar store-2 lime green and 2 pink ones...
I prefer the black ones,but so does everybody else,apparently :)

Back
Top Bottom