Chief's 2nd Try: Kindsoil Round 2

How long would you want to veg those photos?

The difference is a lot fewer, possibly more available, ingredients going into the mix, and scaled down for smaller grows.

Veg has been taking me about 2 months, then another 63 days or so for flower

How long would you want to veg those photos?

The difference is a lot fewer, possibly more available, ingredients going into the mix, and scaled down for smaller grows.

Just increase pot size if you want to veg longer. I also factor in flower time into my pot size selection with my organic soil. If I am vegging for shorter periods (30-40 days) I use 5 gallons. For strains that have less than 10 weeks, I use 7 gallon pots.....and for strains that flower for 10+ weeks, I use 10 gallon pots. More roots, bigger shoots!

Okay, so that’s really only a few more weeks of veg. Not like you’re planning to veg for months and have a monster on your property. Seems like you could bump up the N a bit though. I like alfalfa meal since it’s also a good source of Mg and has a fatty acid that benefits most plants. Adding 100g to the previous mix will give you an enhanced (0.85-2.0-1.0), which should see you through the stretch. If you don’t want to buy any more ingredients, adding another 50g of Flower Girl to the above mix will give you (0.8-2.3-1.0).

And Van’s suggestion of a larger pot, with more booster soil, would work as well.

Here is the recipe that I've been following, let this cook for about 30 days before first use. The first run in this soil was with Autos(Royal Jack, StressKiller) had no issues starting seeds in this soil with best return yet nearly 1.1g per watt. I followed the buildasoil 14 day watering schedule which I do make a few tweaks to but nothing major. I must also agree with Van Stank with his comment about deficiencies, slower to show, and slower to fix. But with that being said if you put quality products in you will get quality in return.
I did notice that the second run soil is much hotter and I lost 3 seeds while trying to start current grow. This stuff is super alive with soil mites and mycelium.
Something I'm not seeing many people talk about is container type. Currently I've got 2 7g cloth and 2 plastic 5g, and from my notes its looking like cloth won't be making a return. Just don't think the roots are really stretching out to the sides as it dries out too quick. The plastic is always a little more moist and notice much more soil activity.

1 part. Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss
1 part. Aeration (Pearl-lite) - I'm using pumice
1 part. Compost

Mixed with:
Acadian Kelp Meal @ 1/2 Cup per cubic foot
Neem Cake and Karanja Cake 2:1 ratio Mix @ 1 cup per cubic foot
Crustacean Meal @ 1/2 Cup per cubic foot
Gypsum Dust @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot
Brix Blend Basalt @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot
Glacial Rock Dust @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot
Oyster Flour @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot
Pre-Charged Bio Char @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot (not required) can be pre-charged or home made.

14 Day Watering Schedule:
NOTICE: Switch from Aloe to Coconut when going into flower. Use this cycle from 1-14 and then repeat until harvest.
Day 1 Aloe Water
Day 2 No watering
Day 3 Malted Barley Top Dress and/or Compost Tea Recipe
Day 4 No watering
Day 5 Plain water
Day 6 No watering
Day 7 Kelp/Alfalfa Tea or Sprouted Seed Tea
Day 8 No Watering
Day 9 Plain Water
Day 10 No Watering
Day 11 Aloe Water
Day 12 No Watering
Day 13 Compost Tea or Sprouted Seed Tea
Day 14 No Watering

I also use Fulpower, Protekt, BAS craft blend, BAS Big 6

Here is the recipe that I've been following, let this cook for about 30 days before first use. The first run in this soil was with Autos(Royal Jack, StressKiller) had no issues starting seeds in this soil with best return yet nearly 1.1g per watt. I followed the buildasoil 14 day watering schedule which I do make a few tweaks to but nothing major. I must also agree with Van Stank with his comment about deficiencies, slower to show, and slower to fix. But with that being said if you put quality products in you will get quality in return.
I did notice that the second run soil is much hotter and I lost 3 seeds while trying to start current grow. This stuff is super alive with soil mites and mycelium.
Something I'm not seeing many people talk about is container type. Currently I've got 2 7g cloth and 2 plastic 5g, and from my notes its looking like cloth won't be making a return. Just don't think the roots are really stretching out to the sides as it dries out too quick. The plastic is always a little more moist and notice much more soil activity.

1 part. Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss
1 part. Aeration (Pearl-lite) - I'm using pumice
1 part. Compost

Mixed with:
Acadian Kelp Meal @ 1/2 Cup per cubic foot
Neem Cake and Karanja Cake 2:1 ratio Mix @ 1 cup per cubic foot
Crustacean Meal @ 1/2 Cup per cubic foot
Gypsum Dust @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot
Brix Blend Basalt @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot
Glacial Rock Dust @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot
Oyster Flour @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot
Pre-Charged Bio Char @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot (not required) can be pre-charged or home made.

14 Day Watering Schedule:
NOTICE: Switch from Aloe to Coconut when going into flower. Use this cycle from 1-14 and then repeat until harvest.
Day 1 Aloe Water
Day 2 No watering
Day 3 Malted Barley Top Dress and/or Compost Tea Recipe
Day 4 No watering
Day 5 Plain water
Day 6 No watering
Day 7 Kelp/Alfalfa Tea or Sprouted Seed Tea
Day 8 No Watering
Day 9 Plain Water
Day 10 No Watering
Day 11 Aloe Water
Day 12 No Watering
Day 13 Compost Tea or Sprouted Seed Tea
Day 14 No Watering

I also use Fulpower, Protekt, BAS craft blend, BAS Big 6

Thanks I was thinking about that also because my cloth pots dry out so fast. I was thinking of running some plastic pots next time to at lest try them out.

Thanks I was thinking about that also because my cloth pots dry out so fast. I was thinking of running some plastic pots next time to at lest try them out.
What size pots are you using? I was in Kindsoil in 5 gallon pots (on their final up pot) and I was watering about every 4-5 days in the smart pots. In smaller pots (3 gallons) I could get about 3 days.

I
What size pots are you using? I was in Kindsoil in 5 gallon pots (on their final up pot) and I was watering about every 4-5 days in the smart pots. In smaller pots (3 gallons) I could get about 3 days.
In the #3 and #5 I water like every 4 days. In the 3 gallon you can tell it needs it on day 3 but sometime I still wait until the next day

Ok, thats about the same then. I am perfectly content with only having to provide attention to the plants every 3-5 days depending on the pots. I just couldn't be one of the coco growers that is handcuffed to their plants daily and sometimes 2 or 3 times a day.

Love that all my work is front loaded in mixing the soil. After that, wet the wenches every few days, give em the occasional haircut, introduce them to a little bondage and then chop em down in a few months. Everything else is managed by the herd in the soil!

Ok, thats about the same then. I am perfectly content with only having to provide attention to the plants every 3-5 days depending on the pots. I just couldn't be one of the coco growers that is handcuffed to their plants daily and sometimes 2 or 3 times a day.

Love that all my work is front loaded in mixing the soil. After that, wet the wenches every few days, give em the occasional haircut, introduce them to a little bondage and then chop em down in a few months. Everything else is managed by the herd in the soil!

That is where I'm headed, but I still talk to them every day. But I don't have to.

That is where I'm headed, but I still talk to them every day. But I don't have to.
But see thats the difference....its our choice at that point, not something I am handcuffed to. I can leave for a 4 day weekend if I want. I can say "fuck it, water them tomorrow" and know that they will be fine! Love that!

But see thats the difference....its our choice at that point, not something I am handcuffed to. I can leave for a 4 day weekend if I want. I can say "fuck it, water them tomorrow" and know that they will be fine! Love that!

I like that too but I still have to go in there and at least stick my head in everyday tho lol. I will be gone for a few days and there’s no one to take care of the plants so I’m glad they will be good while I’m gone.

Oh don't get me wrong.....as a guy thats been out of work on a back injury for over a year, growing occupies a big void. But I decided on this style initially when I hurt my back because I wasn't sure how long I would be out and my work requires me to travel. So the soil method with no nutes was perfect for my situation.

I didn't take much time and realizing that regardless of my back, this was the style I wanted to grow. I love the freedom. Don't get me wrong, some of the other mediums look interesting to try just for shits and giggles, but for me soil is where my heart is.

Oh don't get me wrong.....as a guy thats been out of work on a back injury for over a year, growing occupies a big void. But I decided on this style initially when I hurt my back because I wasn't sure how long I would be out and my work requires me to travel. So the soil method with no nutes was perfect for my situation.

I didn't take much time and realizing that regardless of my back, this was the style I wanted to grow. I love the freedom. Don't get me wrong, some of the other mediums look interesting to try just for shits and giggles, but for me soil is where my heart is.

Do you ever need nutrients during a grow??

I hope you’re doing better. But ya I know what you mean I think I’m the same way even though this is just my second grow. I really don’t want to be pouring lots of bottles nutes on my girls. I kinda feel like it’s like eating fruit. Do you want fruit from the organic store or Walmart. I’ll take the organic fruit taste so much better.

Do you ever need nutrients during a grow??

Well my nutrients are different from what you would consider nutes. For me, if I need anything, I generally do it via Aerated Compost Teas. Now I have had a couple issues on each grow but they weren't really the soil's fault.

On the first run with my "Stank Soil", I was planning on a short veg of the clones and then flower. But I got hit with Mites and I needed to get them under control before flipping because they needed to be scrogged for support. So took me about a month to get the situation to a point where I could flip them. So they ran into a bit of nitrogen deficiency and some Cal/Mag issues. I think it would have been fine if I didn't have to veg that extra month in pots designed for short cycles.

This second go around with the soil, I ran into an issue on a couple plants where I can't get them to the "time mark" I want before up potting. I wanted to be able to keep them in the 1 gallons for 4 weeks before up potting to 7s or 10s, but I was getting some issues at about week three. So my solution for that was up pot and the soil would fix the issue....which it has (See photos below)

I use the compost Teas to fix any issues I see otherwise. For calcium, you can top dress with a little bit of seabird guano (its basically 20% calcium) or some oyster shell flour. I add it into my teas as well if I am seeing any signs. I also add some ground barley, some EWC and some Neem/Karanja seed meal. By putting it on the top...it will slowly work its way down into the soil during waterings and the herd will start breaking it down during the late veg/early flower time. By the time you are in full flower, its all available. Then anything that isn't used, is just more for the next run after amending.

As for bottled nutes, Cal Mag and Silica are it and my goal is to never have to use them. Nature has everything we need available, just gotta get my hands on everything. Sorry for the long answer to a short question.

Well my nutrients are different from what you would consider nutes. For me, if I need anything, I generally do it via Aerated Compost Teas. Now I have had a couple issues on each grow but they weren't really the soil's fault.

On the first run with my "Stank Soil", I was planning on a short veg of the clones and then flower. But I got hit with Mites and I needed to get them under control before flipping because they needed to be scrogged for support. So took me about a month to get the situation to a point where I could flip them. So they ran into a bit of nitrogen deficiency and some Cal/Mag issues. I think it would have been fine if I didn't have to veg that extra month in pots designed for short cycles.

This second go around with the soil, I ran into an issue on a couple plants where I can't get them to the "time mark" I want before up potting. I wanted to be able to keep them in the 1 gallons for 4 weeks before up potting to 7s or 10s, but I was getting some issues at about week three. So my solution for that was up pot and the soil would fix the issue....which it has (See photos below)

I use the compost Teas to fix any issues I see otherwise. For calcium, you can top dress with a little bit of seabird guano (its basically 20% calcium) or some oyster shell flour. I add it into my teas as well if I am seeing any signs. I also add some ground barley, some EWC and some Neem/Karanja seed meal. By putting it on the top...it will slowly work its way down into the soil during waterings and the herd will start breaking it down during the late veg/early flower time. By the time you are in full flower, its all available. Then anything that isn't used, is just more for the next run after amending.

As for bottled nutes, Cal Mag and Silica are it and my goal is to never have to use them. Nature has everything we need available, just gotta get my hands on everything. Sorry for the long answer to a short question.

I see, you are sort of "supplementing" with ACTs. I will be doing the NFTG revigorate recipe, and just reuse the soil with that. I could do the organic nutes myself, but I'm going to do worm castings. That will occupy some of my time too.

I have a lot of irons in the fire, so I don't want to get to invovled with the nutrients at this point. I don't mind giving the Oregon's only guys some dollars.

Thanks for the explanation. No problem on the long answer. :thumb:

Have you looked at adding horsetail fern? Very high in silica plus also is a PM preventative. I add it in with my soil amendments and then ALL through Veg I use a horsetail fern tea as a foliar. You can spray this right before lights out with no worries of PM. Learned this trick from Bobrown14 and my girls seem to love it!

Back
Top Bottom