Chief's Organic Adventure Is Back

Yes just another wetting agent. I needed something to help the water from running right out of the pots. I might even use it as a foliar but unsure yet
@Reave so Aloe powder or fresh aloe (even better) is considered a type of wetting agent, but nowhere near as efficient as this quillaja. It does help though! I prefer to get a fresh pad, filet it, and blend the ever living hell out of it with some water. I honestly never measured it. I just shoot for a frothy mix and pour it into my drench or foliar containers.

Aloe powder or blended fresh aloe is amazing for foliar. Tons of hormones and enzymes that the plants go nuts over. Since I'm not running any sponsored nutrients right now, I'll be going back to utilizing my teas and foliar sprays. Aloe will be in nearly all my drenches and some of my foliar sprays. I probably won't be doing any compost tea foliar sprays any longer. Going to keep that for the soil moving forward. Instead, focus on insect frass, neem seed meal, and some aloe for foliar sprays. All natural pest deterrents by boosting the plants natural defenses against pests.

Yes I’m going to use Aloe , neem oil, Silica and folic acid too for foliar. I think it’s supposed to be here Wednesday. Just waiting to crop out both my tents and I’m going to start my new journal and advanced my organic journey. Oh I got some coconut water too. Got the worm farm going now too. lol I been busy. Love this organic stuff. Reduce, reuse!!!

Yes I’m going to use Aloe , neem oil, Silica and folic acid too for foliar. I think it’s supposed to be here Wednesday. Just waiting to crop out both my tents and I’m going to start my new journal and advanced my organic journey. Oh I got some coconut water too. Got the worm farm going now too. lol I been busy. Love this organic stuff. Reduce, reuse!!!
Maaaan...I wanted to like, laugh, and love this post. I'm for sure am organic grower firstly. So many ways we can do to reduce waste. Congrats on the worm farm! I have a couple going. And a baby worm nursery bin. Amazing additions for your soil. Start with a smaller population. They will self-regulate their population if you start small. Versus throwing in too many for a specific space and amount of food. That can create a disaster. I've had disaster strike twice on me because of too many worms and not the right environment.

Silica in the foliar is good choice too. I still prefer a higher amount of it in my drench instead. Great 1-2 punch to add strength to them quick though via the foliar.

Tag me in your new grow @Reave . Love watching organic grows. I must admit I don't tag people in my journals though. :p

Maaaan...I wanted to like, laugh, and love this post. I'm for sure am organic grower firstly. So many ways we can do to reduce waste. Congrats on the worm farm! I have a couple going. And a baby worm nursery bin. Amazing additions for your soil. Start with a smaller population. They will self-regulate their population if you start small. Versus throwing in too many for a specific space and amount of food. That can create a disaster. I've had disaster strike twice on me because of too many worms and not the right environment.

Silica in the foliar is good choice too. I still prefer a higher amount of it in my drench instead. Great 1-2 punch to add strength to them quick though via the foliar.

Tag me in your new grow @Reave . Love watching organic grows. I must admit I don't tag people in my journals though. :p

Ive been looking at starting a compost bin but ive just been so hesitant. How long does it take to get benefits from the worm farm?

Ive been looking at starting a compost bin but ive just been so hesitant. How long does it take to get benefits from the worm farm?
Don't hesitate! Just start. Either way you are helping our planet by composting. An efficient worm bin is the fastest compost cycling out there in my opinion. I try not to take from the worm bin too often. I honestly harvest actual worms from my bins versus my homemade castings. I need too much castings to be able to produce it myself unless I had a MUCH larger worm/composting bin. So...here is a "quick" breakdown of my setups.

I have two traditional worm towers that are multiple trays and you stack trays as needed. These produce thousands of fresh worms constantly and process lots of compostable materials. As long as you keep things in balance in the bin, they will reproduce and keep their population in check. What I mean by that is the correct amount of moisture and nutrition. The fresh worm castings are simply icing on the cake. The cake is the act of composting and reducing waste on our planet. That's my take. I believe every household on the planet should be composting with worms. I digress...

I also have two large compost bins where I am able to throw away all of our food waste and anything else that is biodegradable. One of my bins is roughly a 75 gallon tote. This is my "working" or "hot" compost bin. I also have a much larger "cold" compost bin that is roughly 3' square x 4' high. Each of these bins have been inoculated with worms that I could harvest but more importantly it has become a major source for native worms. They are my work horses in each of those bins. I can open up my lower slats and harvest fresh compost and castings any time of year. Even if I didn't harvest anything from any of these multiple composting techniques, we are still winning.

If there is anything I can do to help you get started, please let me know. I'd be happy to see you get started.

Don't hesitate! Just start. Either way you are helping our planet by composting. An efficient worm bin is the fastest compost cycling out there in my opinion. I try not to take from the worm bin too often. I honestly harvest actual worms from my bins versus my homemade castings. I need too much castings to be able to produce it myself unless I had a MUCH larger worm/composting bin. So...here is a "quick" breakdown of my setups.

I have two traditional worm towers that are multiple trays and you stack trays as needed. These produce thousands of fresh worms constantly and process lots of compostable materials. As long as you keep things in balance in the bin, they will reproduce and keep their population in check. What I mean by that is the correct amount of moisture and nutrition. The fresh worm castings are simply icing on the cake. The cake is the act of composting and reducing waste on our planet. That's my take. I believe every household on the planet should be composting with worms. I digress...

I also have two large compost bins where I am able to throw away all of our food waste and anything else that is biodegradable. One of my bins is roughly a 75 gallon tote. This is my "working" or "hot" compost bin. I also have a much larger "cold" compost bin that is roughly 3' square x 4' high. Each of these bins have been inoculated with worms that I could harvest but more importantly it has become a major source for native worms. They are my work horses in each of those bins. I can open up my lower slats and harvest fresh compost and castings any time of year. Even if I didn't harvest anything from any of these multiple composting techniques, we are still winning.

If there is anything I can do to help you get started, please let me know. I'd be happy to see you get started.

Yes I will get one started especially since I plan on doing a veggie garden this year. Dont want anything going to waste.

Special Delivery

So my clone came in a few hour ago and it was wilted a bit prob from no light and it being 28 degrees outside. It was outside for about an hour before I could get to it. I went and got some 1 gallon pots to veg in. I was going to go directly into the 7 gallon but I figured save water by starting in the 1 gallons. The roots looked pretty good they were pretty long at least 4-5 inches. I watered with the Quillaja extract and they were right just a little makes it very soapy and it made the first watering so my easier. Its actually already started fixing itself I'm sure by tomorrow it will be good

Special Delivery

So my clone came in a few hour ago and it was wilted a bit prob from no light and it being 28 degrees outside. It was outside for about an hour before I could get to it. I went and got some 1 gallon pots to veg in. I was going to go directly into the 7 gallon but I figured save water by starting in the 1 gallons. The roots looked pretty good they were pretty long at least 4-5 inches. I watered with the Quillaja extract and they were right just a little makes it very soapy and it made the first watering so my easier. Its actually already started fixing itself I'm sure by tomorrow it will be good

Great looking roots and clone! Congrats Chief. Hopefully the box was enough of an insulation to keep away any cellular damage.

That quillaja man! There just anything else like it. I can never get that much bubbles with the yucca extract. I also don't ever dose mine too heavy. I may try double my typical amount to see what happens.

Garden Update:

So its been super challenging keeping temps up while also keep the humidity up. I was able to keep it steady for a while around 75 degrees and 70% humidity. I went and got the small space heater and it works well, but a little too well. I had it on the low seating and 1 min later my temps were in the mid 90s and rising. I ran over and turned it off so quick. Now have to get the temp controller and I think ill be set when it comes to the environment. I really want to get that dialed in this grow. My other grows Ive just had my inline fans pulling on full blast and the humidity was so low in the tents. Still had nice herbs but I want to take it up a notch. The humidifier has its own setting I have that set to 75% and it keeps the tent around 70% where the probe is. I set the inline fan to turn on when temps are above 85 and humidity above 80%. This seems to be working well but my temps never get to 85 without the heater on. The temp controller will take care of the heat for sure.

Sorry for the blurry pic.

So the only Applewoods that survived are #1 and #4. You can tell that #4 is about a week behind #1 but im sure it will catch up once we get some roots. Oddly I havent seen roots on the side of the clear cups yet for #1. Im guessing they should pop out any time now. Been very hesitant when it comes to taking the bags off. #1 looks like it may be ready soon but Im going to at least wait until I can keep the heat up and wait til it has at least 3 nodes. #4 looks ok its only like 2 days old or so but its alot more green than the other seedling. They are both in same soil so idk what the deal with that is.

The ICC( Ice Cream Cake) clone looks like its recovered its been 2 days and it looks like its getting used to its new home. The tops are looking good the big fans are a little droopy but Im sure we will have new fan leaves soon.

How early do you guys normally take the domes off your girls?
You know, it really does depend on your environmental numbers I think. I was sprouting some seeds inside the only space I have which are some autos in flower. It's way drier in that tent right noe, late in flower, than what is generally a preferred environment for seedlings. I like my seedlings and vegging plants above 60% and sometimes more. I slowly introduced my babies to the current much lower RH over a few days by opening the vents for the long periods of time when I was not inside the tent. Whenever I was in the tent, I remove the dome and leave it off until I'm getting out. Then I spray the inside of the dome and the leaves. I am trying to focus on keeping my plants as close to the ideal range found on VPD charts for their growth stage. A vpd chart just makes it easy for my brain to measure something and have a general idea that the environment is not a variable for my failures. Haaanhaaa.

It's often not in the ideal range but that is simply a goal or focus that has so far yielded happier plants for me.

I don’t run domes, so pretty early. Lol.

Lol nice sounds like I can go ahead and take mine off but still hesitant since it been so long without growing always second guessing myself because I dont want to kill any more of my babies.

You know, it really does depend on your environmental numbers I think. I was sprouting some seeds inside the only space I have which are some autos in flower. It's way drier in that tent right noe, late in flower, than what is generally a preferred environment for seedlings. I like my seedlings and vegging plants above 60% and sometimes more. I slowly introduced my babies to the current much lower RH over a few days by opening the vents for the long periods of time when I was not inside the tent. Whenever I was in the tent, I remove the dome and leave it off until I'm getting out. Then I spray the inside of the dome and the leaves. I am trying to focus on keeping my plants as close to the ideal range found on VPD charts for their growth stage. A vpd chart just makes it easy for my brain to measure something and have a general idea that the environment is not a variable for my failures. Haaanhaaa.

It's often not in the ideal range but that is simply a goal or focus that has so far yielded happier plants for me.

Ok ya I like the sound of that. I will prob just take it off while im in the tent here and there. The Ac Infinity app has the VDP so I've been trying to keep it in a decent range for early veg. I need to print off a VPD chart I hate looking it up every time. Maybe I should get a poster or something

My leaf temps are about 72F from the lights so I just run 70% humidity for quite a ways into flower. I turn it down a bit once they start bulking up. I know lots of people turn it down but I listened to this podcast that talks about how VPD range keeps the plants healthy and resistant to things like PM, just need to watch due point at lights out. Think the dudes name was Nelson Lyndsey. He says they grow way better in the 1KPA range. So I have tried this but I think most of my plants are PM resistant. Seedlings are happy at even a bit higher humidity but 70 has been fine for my cloning with no domes.

My leaf temps are about 72F from the lights so I just run 70% humidity for quite a ways into flower. I turn it down a bit once they start bulking up. I know lots of people turn it down but I listened to this podcast that talks about how VPD range keeps the plants healthy and resistant to things like PM, just need to watch due point at lights out. Think the dudes name was Nelson Lyndsey. He says they grow way better in the 1KPA range. So I have tried this but I think most of my plants are PM resistant. Seedlings are happy at even a bit higher humidity but 70 has been fine for my cloning with no domes.

Ok nice to know low 70s still produce grade A buds. Before when I was growing in a closets nvr had to worry about temps being too low I think the lowest I ever saw it was like 80 degrees. I heard you have faster growth when the temps are closer to 80 because the plants are transpiring more and soil is drying out faster so roots are searching for air more. So I'm really trying to keep my veg time down to a minimum with still having a full tent.

Hey Otter glad to see you stop by! Cant wait til we get to flower in here.

1643391462940.png
YEah 80 would be better. My bigger light gets them warmer.Keep in mind this is leaf temp which will be lower than temp. Lower temps, lower humidity to meet 1 kpa.

Back
Top Bottom