Chlorimne removal vitamin C

They look healthy to me!

Boo municipal water.

I'm not a fan of someone playing with my drinking water.

Plants will be happy as long as the pH range is appropriate. I use well water 8.5ph most of the time. I didn't notice big issues until last year. I kept chasing my tail with deficiencies. Probably cause of lockout. But I did have some plants that didn't slip a beat on high ph. Now I pH down that shit, 6.3-6.5ph

The meters I've purchased are crap. I triple check once a week meter-drops-strips, set my amount of pH down for watering.

Our dugout water which we use as tap water has a pH of 8+ and runs around 300 - 400ppm depending on season. In the spring when it gets diluted with fresh snow melt which like rain is slightly acidic but very low ppm it will still be well over pH7 and the lower end in hardness.

When you use an acid to lower the pH of you hard water you do bring the pH down but all the minerals that made the pH high are still in that water you give your plants. Your plants can't use all those extra mineral salts so they remain in the soil and each time you water the mineral salts build up.

Think of that crust that builds up inside kettles, coffee makers or even in the water heater for your house. That same thing, albeit on a smaller scale, is happening in the root zone your plants draw their nourishment from.

That leads to imbalances and lockouts. Can even lead to toxic salts buildup that gets stored in leaves and causes plants to start developing hard, crusty fan leaves that basically burn all over rather than along the edges first like classic nutrient burn.

We water the garden with our dugout water but out there rain and snow melt wash those extra minerals out of the root zone so doesn't really allow for buildup. We dilute tap water half and half with RO water for the wife's raised beds in the greenhouse for her tomatoes and peppers so that soil doesn't get overloaded with mineral salts.

There's more than just pH to consider.

:peace:

vitamin c -ascorbic acid- does not take chloramine out of the water. it will negate chlorine, but not chloramine. an RO filter is the best way to get rid of it if needed. i wouldn't worry over it judging by the plant.

spring water depends solely on the source. a lot of spring water is loaded with heavy metals and minerals.

Mineral rich pure mountain spring water is the best water on Earth. Mineral content and pH will vary depending on the source. Streams fed by mountain springs, especially near populated areas and agriculture, may be contaminated.

vitamin c -ascorbic acid- does not take chloramine out of the water. it will negate chlorine, but not chloramine. an RO filter is the best way to get rid of it if needed. i wouldn't worry over it judging by the plant.
You sure?

Pretty good reference material to read if you have the time.

“It takes about 1,000 mg of vitamin C (ascorbic acid form) to remove chloramines from 40 gallons of water”

• Chloramine Removal:
    Carbon filters remove this chemical but the filter is used up much faster than for other chemicals and takes much longer to do the job. A special form of carbon, “Catalytic carbon”, as it works better than standard carbon (sometimes called Centaur). In other words it will require a larger and more expensive filter to remove it.

• Carbon filters remove the chlorine portion of the molecule leaving the ammonia behind hence it requires another stage of filtration such as reverse osmosis to remove it.

Vitamin C filters – For showers this works better than other types at removing chloramines.

• It takes about 1,000 mg of vitamin C (ascorbic acid form) to remove chloramines from 40 gallons of water.

Reverse osmosis units do remove chloramines as they generally have a couple carbon filters but they often produce large amounts of salt (sodium) in the water which can also cause problems if used to water plants.

Double counter top units work better than single stage filters for drinking water(Cool water must be used for these filters to work effectively).

Note: When chloramines is coupled with chlorine and fluoride the combinednegative effects on plant and soil health is much greater.

REFERENCES:
    Removing Chloramines from Water, Pure Water Products, LLC.
    Citizens Concerned about Chloramine,
    Chloramine Facts - Citizens Concerned About Chloramine (CCAC)
    Citizens Concerned About Chloramine (CCAC)
    Home - Citizens Concerned About Chloramine (CCAC)

Alternative Disinfectants and Oxidants Guidance Manual, EPA 815-R-99-014, April 1999
    WHO’s Guidelines for Drinking Water Quality. PDF 145KB
  • Wikipedia – Chloramine
    Chloramines - Wikipedia

Catalytic Carbons Help Remove Chloramine, by Stephen Spotts
    Calagon Carbon Corporation

HTG Supplys “Ask The Doc”,

“Chloramines Can Kill Your Plants”

“Water Problems and Ornamental Plants”

“Watering the Vegetable Garden with CityWater”
    Watering the Vegetable Garden With City Water | Veggie Gardener

The Case Against Fluoride, Paul Connett, PhD, James Beck, MD, PhD and H.S. Micklem, DPhil, Chelsa Green Publishing, Copyright 2010, ISBN 978-1-60358-287-2

Vitamin C (ascorbic acid)has been used in municipal water treatment for a very long time as well as in aquaponics.

It is used for 'removing' chlorine and chloramines.

Generally, if your water is good enough for you to drink, it's fine for your ladies too.

If you feel the need though, an RO unit will be more cost effective in the long run than using spring water.
Rain water harvesting is also good as long as the collection surface (roof and gutter) is a safe/approved material.

Vitamin C (ascorbic acid)has been used in municipal water treatment for a very long time as well as in aquaponics.

It is used for 'removing' chlorine and chloramines.

nice to see you

my understanding was chloramine is more resistant to chemical neutralizing, evaporation, and even some filtration than chlorine.

i know the advantage to municipalities is the ability to transmit clean water over greater distances, while simultaneously keeping water systems clear of pathogens. it has been blamed for wreaking havoc on aging municipal water systems, lead pipe etc.

we have had some issues around it here. especially in older neighborhoods. our water has always been dodgy, and continued drought is only making it worse. chlorine use was heavy before, and chloramine is the same now.

from the tap our water smells like bleach.

i use RO here as standard indoor, even that won't get rid of all chlorine or chloramine, i don't find any issues with what is there after though.

we obviously filter all our drinking water as well. if you lived here 30 yrs or so you'll generally get kidney stones.

Mineral rich pure mountain spring water is the best water on Earth. Mineral content and pH will vary depending on the source. Streams fed by mountain springs, especially near populated areas and agriculture, may be contaminated.

again, it depends solely on source. at any rate, in full disclosure, i never worry about any of it outdoor. i only control the variables indoor, and even loosely at that.

Why are we continuing to gamble with unknown variables when a simple inquiry to the municipal department that services your home is able to clarify and guide us for our intended use with plants?

spring water depends solely on the source. a lot of spring water is loaded with heavy metals and minerals.
Definitely need to add a Chloramine filter to your RO system if your source water contains chloramines... RO filtration with the standard sediment filter, carbon filters, RO membrane will not remove chloramines.

Definitely need to add a Chloramine filter to your RO system if your source water contains chloramines... RO filtration with the standard sediment filter, carbon filters, RO membrane will not remove chloramines.

you need a chloramine filter to remove it all for sure, however the RO does seem to remove some. the gph of a standard RO filter has an effect. lower gph RO membranes are a tighter micron filter catching more of everything. chloramine should squeeze through but in use some gets caught up in other filtered elements.

if you really need to get rid of it, do what the fish tank folk do. they often use UV, filtration, and other methods in tandem.

for most of our needs it's really not a problem.

you need a chloramine filter to remove it all for sure, however the RO does seem to remove some. the gph of a standard RO filter has an effect. lower gph RO membranes are a tighter micron filter catching more of everything. chloramine should squeeze through but in use some gets caught up in other filtered elements.
It will also shorten the life of your RO membrane without Pre-filtering with the chloramine filter.

It will also shorten the life of your RO membrane without Pre-filtering with the chloramine filter.

mine's pretty simple and it's been chugging along great. it's only a 3 filter, i passively filter drinking water after running it through the RO. drinking the RO without the other filter is pretty bitter.

the RO filter does not correct for odour either. the passive filter takes chlorine out, though the RO unit takes the brunt. the passive filter on regular tap is garbage.

i traded a light rig for my RO unit and replaced the filters once when i got it and once since. it constantly gives me 7 - 10 ppm from 300+ throughout a decade of service.

mine's pretty simple and it's been chugging along great. it's only a 3 filter, i passively filter drinking water after running it through the RO. drinking the RO without the other filter is pretty bitter.

the RO filter does not correct for odour either. the passive filter takes chlorine out, though the RO unit takes the brunt. the passive filter on regular tap is garbage.

i traded a light rig for my RO unit and replaced the filters once when i got it and once since. it constantly gives me 7 - 10 ppm from 300+ throughout a decade of service.
I use 4 stage Filtration, for my grow room and 6 stage for drinking / cooking water. I run my drinking water through a Carbon taste and odor filter and a PH filter to add back some minerals. The first four stages are sediment filter, carbon block filter, Chloramine filter and RO membrane. I change all filters except the RO membrane every year. I'll replace the RO membrane when TDS rejection rate goes down below 85%. I'll usually get at least 4 years from a RO membrane with the chloramine filter and maybe a year without one. Local water supplier denies the use of chloramines and I have not had water tested by a lab. I am a plumbing contractor and I do service on residential RO systems and this is consistent in my area.

Spring water is unsuitable for cannabis plants. Cannabis plants prefer a pH adjusted nutrient solution which is changed at regular intervals and adjusted as needed as maintenance.
That's speaking a little bit out of the blue. It all depends on what's in said water doesn't it? My local water is not the same as yours and without any test done you're just speaking out of the blue. There's many ways to the finish line my friend.

That's speaking a little bit out of the blue. It all depends on what's in said water doesn't it? My local water is not the same as yours and without any test done you're just speaking out of the blue. There's many ways to the finish line my friend.
Out of the blue, rinse repeat. I say get an independent lab test. But again, I just use rainwater. 😆

Which membrane do you recommend to remove chloramine microns?

Back
Top Bottom