Colombian Gold Grow: Come Learn With Me How To Produce Your Own Seeds!

Here is today's update in this accelerated thread. It's now been 7 days since I topped the two Colombian Gold plants. They showed no signs of slowing down from the toppings.

Coming up next will be taking cuttings. I will be harvesting 2 cuttings from each plant. Remember to take your cuttings from as low on the plant as possible. The lower on the plant the cutting is taken the more readily it will produce roots. Not to say a cutting taken halfway up the plant won't root. Just that they root easier and quicker when taken from the bottom portion of the plant. If you want to try taking cuttings along with me here is a list of what I personally. You'll find there are probably a dozen ways to do this procedure. This is the one that has worked best for me so I stick with it.

Here is a list of items I use, in no particular order:

1. A sharp razor knife........I use it to cut the cutting off of the plant and to shave the bottom of the stalk.

2. Bottle of Rubbing Alcohol......It might be overkill but clean clean clean your tools with alcohol often.

3. A bottle of Clonex Solution and virtually any brand rooting powder/rooting hormone

4. You'll need a medium in which to grow your roots on your cuttings. For me it works out easy because I use ProMix BX which has no nutrients in it. And it does have Mycorrhizae which help the plant uptake necessary nutrients. I buy this in 25lb bags and use it for cuttings, seedlings, and all the way through harvest. If this is not available to you then you should be able to find a bag of Seed Starting Soil at Wal-Mart or another big box store. Just look for the lowest NPK, preferable none at all. I do not like peet moss, to me it's such a pain.

5. Solo Cups.......I start with a clear solo cup and a red solo cup, the same size, and punch holes around the bottom edge of both cups. Solo also now makes a smaller clear cup which I use as a dome over the plant. The smaller ones fit right into the larger cups. Now if you can't find the smaller ones you can use a regular sized clear cup for a dome. Just put a piece of tape from the dome to the red cup like a hinge. Not as perfect as the smaller cups but it works just fine.

6. PH Up and PH Down............It's important that the PH level of the Clonex Solution mixed with water is spot on. I've found it makes a big difference in my success rate when cloning.

7. A flat bottom pan in which you can sit the solo cups when saturating the medium. Catch all the runoff and not make a mess. I use an aluminum turkey pan I bought at Wal-Mart. Does the job.

Other then a mature plant from which you can take cuttings I believe that's all you'll need.

Let's get ready to produce some beautiful, healthy clones. And remember, every clone you grow is one less seed you have to buy. It's all about not having to buy seeds. Striving to be self sufficient, Breed your own seeds, trade seeds you've made with friends to expand your strain base.

When growing in hempy this is always a welcome sight. It's a sign your plants are ready to take off with a growth spurt. I took off the duct tape for a feeding today and both plants have roots down into the reservoir now.

Another sad night here in Fan Central. I had to turn off the Thursday Night Football game tonight because I can't stand blowouts. Unless of course it's my team blowing someone out but that's not gonna happen. I don't have cable or other TV service so I am limited in the games I get to watch. And it pains me when one of the few games I get to watch isn't competitive. Oh, we'll see what happens Sunday.

Time to take cuttings. The two Colombian Gold plants have gotten big enough now that I can harvest 2 cuttings from each plant. Remember, the whole reason for this grow is to produce an abundance of these Colombian Gold reg seeds for future use. The plants are not old enough to have shown their sex so I do not know yet what method I will be using to breed the seeds. The two cuttings off each plant are taken as insurance sort in a way. If both plants turn out to be females then the method employed will be using Colloidal Silver spray to induce the female to produce pollen sacks. Using this method success is not guaranteed and you have to try again. I've been told some strains just won't produce pollen sacks. Not sure that's true or not but it is certainly possible. I won't bore everyone with the details of how I take cuttings unless folks show an interest I'll be glad to include a tutorial.

Below is a photo of each of the plants the day of the cutting harvesting.

Freshly taken cuttings. I always get a "feel" how I did taking cuttings. I feel really good about three of them. The fourth one I might have shaved off more then I needed/wanted.....but I hope it's okay.

I like to trim the leaves to about 1/2 size.

Here is a picture of the cuttings under their domes. They will be moved under the four 20 watt CFL bulbs in my homemade clone / seedling box. I water the inside of the domes. I do not spray the cuttings except for when I harvest them. The plants pull humidity out of the air....no need to wet them unless you just want to. For the next 8-14 days I may very lightly wet the ProMix BX if I feel it needs it. I want the soil moist, not wet.

I need to go get some clear solo cups so thanks for that tip. Guess who got some hempy! Me that’s who! Next seeds are going in that.
If you're getting the clear solo cups for the domes see if you can find the smaller ones. They're made by Solo and are just a tad smaller. They fit so perfectly inside the rim of a regular clear solo cup.

I heard from a good source that there is cool stuff happening in here so I'm subbing up to get my learn on.
I'm hoping we can all learn together. Questions, comments, advice always welcome.

Hey beez! I'm heading out the door but will see what's going on later tonight. Just from scrolling through the pics I can tell it's gonna be good.
Well I sure hope it's good. Informative at the very least.

Subbed in Beez:popcorn:
@Kismet I just read your post on the Stankinator's thread. Just real quick how I pollinate just a few buds. I use the same principle as Stank but a little different. I get hold of a couple of those plastic bags that french bread comes in at the supermarket. I eat the bread. When you're ready to pollinate take one of the bags and slide it over a branch you're wanting to dust with pollen. Do the same with the other bag if you want to pollinate more buds (hit 2 for me) put a bag over a second branch. Put a tie on the opened end and seal it was tight as you can. I always do two branches right next to each other. So the bags are on and sealed. Now take a spray bottle with a mist head on it and mist all the buds around the bags. You don't have to DRENCH them but you do want to make sure they're wet. Hit all the pistils. Now gently shake it so no water drips down on your covered branches when you remove the bags. So take off the bags, use a tiny artists paintbrush and gently apply pollen to the tips of the pistils. I slide the bags back on again, seal them, and lightly spray the uncovered buds again. I wait a few minutes and lightly shake the plant again with the pollinated branches still covered. When the exposed/sprayed buds are looking nice and dry take off the plastic bags and you're done.

Everything above takes about 20 minutes. It's not complicated, and the more careful you are the more contained your pollination will be.

Hope that is helpful!

Sounds good Beez. Just want to be careful. Effed a Jack Herer up outdoors in '91 hahaha. Asked my indoor bud back then and he was like film vial and tiny paint brush? Loving the golden tiger. Has a real piney smell yum. But want to sacrifice just a couple of lowers.
I just orders seeds off the @SeedsMan site. I have a couple singles from Ace Seeds given to me by friends. I have been wanting to try their Panama and Golden Tiger.

Pollen loses its viability quick i understand that now specially with moisture present. Use a couple of produce bags on a couple of lowers for a day . No fan then spray them a bit after wait a day and kick the fans back on?

The day you want to pollinate a branch or two put the long tube shaped plastic bread bag over the branch or two you want to pollinate. Mist all the uncovered buds till wet not saturated. While still moist but not dripping remove the plastic bags, pollinate the buds on that one or two branches, put the bags back on, spray all the uncovered buds lightly again. Leave the bag/s on for a 6 hours, take the bags off and mist the branch or two you pollinated. Wait a couple minutes and turn the fan back on.

Back
Top Bottom