Colombian Gold Grow: Come Learn With Me How To Produce Your Own Seeds!

So the question remains. Are you guys all comfortable, and have good success cloning? Would a tutorial be helpful to anyone? If I can help one person learn to take cuttings and turn them into rooted clones thus eliminating their need to buy seeds I will gladly do it.

I'm so thankful Newty has so many friends. My journal was getting to be a very lonely place. She told me I needed to be patient, that in a month or so people would start joining in. A MONTH? So Thank You again Newty for making an old man happy!!:thanks:
She's the "pied piper" of 420. LoL

Drops by to say hello and your thread grows 3 pages. LoL

Happy to have been pointed in the right direction... it's easy to get lost in the endless stream of threads and accidentally bypass a #winner
:passitleft::passitleft::passitleft::passitleft:

So the question remains. Are you guys all comfortable, and have good success cloning? Would a tutorial be helpful to anyone? If I can help one person learn to take cuttings and turn them into rooted clones thus eliminating their need to buy seeds I will gladly do it.
I'm getting ready to try with my Moby Dick plant. She's got 2 branches that are begging for it.
I've got a pretty good idea of what I should be doing, but I could always learn more.

If you're clipping a few and want to snap pics, I will 100% be reviewing everything you post before I cut.

Appreciate the offer buddy!
:passitleft:

I just took my first cuttings the other day. Today is day 5 and they look healthy!
image.jpg

My process was taking the cutting at a 45degree angle. Placing into a cup of water right away and allowing to soak for 24hrs under a cfl. I then pulled cutting from water scraped bottom 1/2” of outer flesh off the stalk then dipped in ProMix rooting powder. I then placed into my jiffy pellets moistened but not soaked. I then placed them in my clone starting tray and placed under a dome with about a 1/2” of water in the bottom of the tray for residual humidity. I spray the dome lid 2 times a day and the plants once each morning.

Not sure if this is correct by any means as this is my very first attempt at cloning so fingers crossed. But I mixed a few experienced techniques that I have gathered from around the way together so hopefully I’ll get good success! No yellowing or struggles this far so here’s to a positive outcome!

Everyone is making seeds and I am still trying to buy them to get the collection going. I am always behind the curve. Subbed up for the ride though.

What do you mean trying? Just visit @SeedsMan one of our 420 sponsors and place an order. I've found Seedsman to be tops as far as I am concerned. I also highly recommend the Seedsman branded seeds. I've have very good luck with the Seedsman genetics and germination rate. Plus with the promotion they have going on now (buy and 3 pack and get two Black Sugar seeds for free) this is a perfect time to give them a try.

Seedsman has a nice selection. I grew out the train wreck (GHS) I got from them last year. I try to keep the orders small for security reasons but i could go crazy ordering stuff. Key is to find a breeder line that is consistent and quality. I mull that stuff over for a while before pulling the trigger.

Not sure if this is correct by any means as this is my very first attempt at cloning so fingers crossed.
I see nothing at all wrong with your technique with the cuttings. They could live happy as a clam in that environment for a year and never have to grow a root. Between the spraying of the plants, spraying the dome inside, and the water in the tray they have way more then enough moisture to absorb through the leaves to survive. But at some point you have to let the children grow up and get ready to move out on their own. When I take cuttings each one is in it's own solo cup and has a clear solo cup dome which I keep on tight for the first couple days. If the cuttings are looking good (yours are looking great) I slowly start to expose them to "the real world" and do this by tilting the domes making a crack at the bottom. As you see here this allows air from outside in and reduces the amount of readily available moisture to the plant. So if it's not finding it so easy to absorb moisture through it's leaves where do you think it will get it from? If you guessed from it's roots you're right. But at this point it has no roots, but it will now start making some.

Here is my suggestion. Pick a day when you'll be home all day. First thing in the morning take the dome off all the way. Set a timer on your cell phone for 20 minutes. Heck, while you have the phone out snap a photo of the cuttings for reference. When it goes off go check the cuttings (no peeking till the timer goes off) if they look exactly the same as they did when you took the dome off set the time for another 20 minutes. This time if they look the same put the dome back on anyway and leave it on for 30 minutes. Then take it off again. This time increase the time to 30 minutes. Timer goes off, check the girls. If they look good (no wilting or bending over) let them go another 30 minutes. If they are still okay after what is a total of 1 hour you're golden. I would put the dome back on and leave it on till the next day. That next day, at some point, take the dome off and set the alarm for 1 hour. Again, check them when the alarm goes off. If they look just the same, store the dome for your next cloning job. Your plant has started making roots. And will do so MUCH quicker not being pampered.

Trust me, I was apprehensive the first time I started taking the domes off. And yes, I had plants that after 20 minutes were drooping over a bit. But in 30 minutes back under the dome they perked right back up again. I try to have the domes off my cuttings in 4-5 days.

Key is to find a breeder line that is consistent and quality.

Take a look at Nirvana Seeds. They have (in my opinion) the best stealth shipping I've seen. Granted I only buy a few seeds here and there and mostly from 2 or 3 seed banks. But I've heard quite a number of guys/gals say the same thing about Nirvana's stealth shipping. And they have good prices and good genetics too. You can find their seeds on the @SeedsMan web site.

I then placed into my jiffy pellets moistened but not soaked.

You didn't mention what you soaked the pellets with. A product I swear by is Clonex Solution. It is a concentrate that you dilute with water for soaking your medium whatever you're using. Adjust the PH to the level recommended on the Clonex bottle and soak your medium with the solution. I use the Clonex to soak my ProMix BX in the solo cups and then use a rooting hormone powder on the stalks.

You are looking at my seed stash aren't you? I have 9 strains of theirs currently. I buy direct and their shipping is second to none. Every one of their plants I have grown out has been very high quality. My current grow is all Nirvana genetics.

I am glad newty directed us over here. We are on the same page. I want to find a strain I like and either clone it or reverse it. I am interested to watch the seed production progress.

I see nothing at all wrong with your technique with the cuttings. They could live happy as a clam in that environment for a year and never have to grow a root. Between the spraying of the plants, spraying the dome inside, and the water in the tray they have way more then enough moisture to absorb through the leaves to survive. But at some point you have to let the children grow up and get ready to move out on their own. When I take cuttings each one is in it's own solo cup and has a clear solo cup dome which I keep on tight for the first couple days. If the cuttings are looking good (yours are looking great) I slowly start to expose them to "the real world" and do this by tilting the domes making a crack at the bottom. As you see here this allows air from outside in and reduces the amount of readily available moisture to the plant. So if it's not finding it so easy to absorb moisture through it's leaves where do you think it will get it from? If you guessed from it's roots you're right. But at this point it has no roots, but it will now start making some.

Here is my suggestion. Pick a day when you'll be home all day. First thing in the morning take the dome off all the way. Set a timer on your cell phone for 20 minutes. Heck, while you have the phone out snap a photo of the cuttings for reference. When it goes off go check the cuttings (no peeking till the timer goes off) if they look exactly the same as they did when you took the dome off set the time for another 20 minutes. This time if they look the same put the dome back on anyway and leave it on for 30 minutes. Then take it off again. This time increase the time to 30 minutes. Timer goes off, check the girls. If they look good (no wilting or bending over) let them go another 30 minutes. If they are still okay after what is a total of 1 hour you're golden. I would put the dome back on and leave it on till the next day. That next day, at some point, take the dome off and set the alarm for 1 hour. Again, check them when the alarm goes off. If they look just the same, store the dome for your next cloning job. Your plant has started making roots. And will do so MUCH quicker not being pampered.

Trust me, I was apprehensive the first time I started taking the domes off. And yes, I had plants that after 20 minutes were drooping over a bit. But in 30 minutes back under the dome they perked right back up again. I try to have the domes off my cuttings in 4-5 days.
You didn't mention what you soaked the pellets with. A product I swear by is Clonex Solution. It is a concentrate that you dilute with water for soaking your medium whatever you're using. Adjust the PH to the level recommended on the Clonex bottle and soak your medium with the solution. I use the Clonex to soak my ProMix BX in the solo cups and then use a rooting hormone powder on the stalks.

I have been cracking my air slots on the dome lids for a few hours the past day to allow natural air in and reduce humidity. They seem to be fine tomorrow I will start with the dome removal technique and try it out as they will be close to that time!

I soaked my jiffy’s in phed distilled water and then used the Promix Rooting powder.

Should I add something in to the Jiffy’s next time? Light nute solution ? Or voodoo juice?

I've grown several of the Nirvana strains. I did not like their Aurora Indica.......it was just lacking to me. Beautiful plant, great aroma, buds were pretty sticky. But the effect was just not so good.

On the other hand their Northern Lights IBL..........A gem start to finish. So good in fact that I bred 400-500 regular seeds from a male to female pollination. The smoke tastes good, the high is relaxing but not sleepy time type of relaxing. Well, unless you sit and keep smoking a bunch of it :rofl:

Should I add something in to the Jiffy’s next time? Light nute solution ? Or voodoo juice?

I just offer suggestions and share what I do and use. I've used the jiffy pellets and had decent success with them. I now plant my cuttings in solo cups in ProMix BX medium. Prior to planting the cuttings I mix up a bottle of Clonex Solution to the PH level indicated on the bottle. The day prior to taking the cuttings I thoroughly soak the medim so that by the time I take the cuttings the next day the soil has drained well leaving it nice and moist but not saturated.

I use the Clonex Solution because I believe it increases my odds of successful cloning. I would probably do away with it and just use the rooting hormone powder and still do pretty well with cloning. I like increasing my odds. And the bottle of Clones Solution I bought, if it doesn't go bad, will last me a lifetime at the rate I'm using it. And it does work very well.

I'm so thankful Newty has so many friends. My journal was getting to be a very lonely place. She told me I needed to be patient, that in a month or so people would start joining in. A MONTH? So Thank You again Newty for making an old man happy!!:thanks:

If newty tells me its good... its a no-brainer and i'm in. looking at the start of this journal i might be behind 34 pages by tomorrow;) That dome technique is great... never tought about the part between on or off that much..

In this case i would say always share it. if there aint peeps reading it now, they might refer people to this later on. :Namaste:

if there aint peeps reading it now, they might refer people to this later on.

Excellent point. I know I did a lot of reading when I first started and was very grateful to have had all these threads and forums and journals from which to gain knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom