Come Grow With Me: A Beginners Guide

Sorry Buds, I'm not really a lighting guy since the sun is my main source of light, but we have some great LED sponsors here from @Atreum Lighting, @Budget LED, @Mars Hydro, and others as well. And they are really helpful to the members here, so I'd reach out to them for suggestions.
Not buying from any of those sellers. They need to lower their prices to be more competitive. Found lights with same parts $300 cheaper. $650 for the 640 watt & $700 for the 800 watt. All our sponsors want $999 + unfortunately or I'd buy from them.

Not buying from any of those sellers. They need to lower their prices to be more competitive. Found lights with same parts $300 cheaper. $650 for the 640 watt & $700 for the 800 watt. All our sponsors want $999 + unfortunately or I'd buy from them.

For $50 more I'd go the 800. It's hard to have too much light. For what its worth. LED Gardner's site suggests 750 watts for a 5x5 in their DIY strip light build article.

For $50 more I'd go the 800. It's hard to have too much light. For what its worth. LED Gardner's site suggests 750 watts for a 5x5 in their DIY strip light build article.
I was thinking the 160 more watts would give deeper penetration even though it has 2 less bars. Am I correct in my assumption ? If so, it's kind of a No Brainer. Just wasn't sure if more bars or more watts was the better alternative.
I'm currently using 750 watts (TS 3000 & TSW 2000) but can't get even coverage with those.

Bruce Banger id 1/2 way harvested. Giving the lower stuff a couple extra days now that the lights on it. Smoked a joint of this stuff last night from a bud I took a few days ago & it kicked my butt. Had no problem sleeping last night.
Today I go get COVID shot #1. I have a 3:36 a.m. appointment .... FUN.

I was thinking the 160 more watts would give deeper penetration even though it has 2 less bars. Am I correct in my assumption ? If so, it's kind of a No Brainer. Just wasn't sure if more bars or more watts was the better alternative.
I'm currently using 750 watts (TS 3000 & TSW 2000) but can't get even coverage with those.

I'm not a light guru, but from my understanding, most of the chips actually run at peak efficiency at something like 75% power. Just spitballing, but having a bigger driver and 1 less strip, the 800 light/driver will probably not be running as hard and generate less heat. The 320 driver on my strip build runs real cool because the light is designed to run at 75%. The 240 driver on my quantum board runs scalding hot unless you got a good fan blowing on it.

Bruce Banger is all chopped down & drying. Will be in jars this weekend. The Gorilla Girl & White Widow are neck in neck to the finish line. Giving these 2 longer as I still haven't got the narcotic effect weed I'm looking for. Trying to figure out just how Amber I prefer things so letting each plant get more Amber. 10% is not enough for me. I'm thinking closer to 20%.
Ordered my new light & it should be here next week. I got the 10 Bar 800 watt.
I have to feed, defol & tie branches up tonight so I'll take pics while doing so. New pics tomorrow.

Why not harvest some of the plant and leave the rest to keep ripening? You can harvest the same plant at 10%, 20%, 30%, etc!
I test a bud & it's good so I chop. But then it never seems as good as the bud I tested. I really need to follow the "When you think it's done, Give it one more week" rule. I've been impatient because I'm sick of dispensary prices & just want my own stuff to smoke. Oh well, stepson likes the stuff I harvested so I gave him a bunch of it (the Peyote Wi Fi).
Damn, my cookies were terrible ... lol. Couldn't taste Peanut Butter at all. Tasted like I was eating a block of weed (or Organic Health Food crap).

As I said, I moved some things around. So I'll start with a few group shots of what's in the 5 x 5 which is 3 Peyote Wi Fi in the back, Gorilla front left, Bruce Banger front & center, White Widow front right.

10-122.JPG
10-123.JPG
10-124.JPG

And here's a few pics of the Bruce Banger. I'll be chopping her down in the morning. She's totally cloudy with a little Amber & smells really good right now.

10-125.JPG
10-126.JPG
10-127.JPG
10-128.JPG
Hey Buds , loving the grow, could you keep adding what day you are on please ?

Hey Buds , loving the grow, could you keep adding what day you are on please ?
Hmmm, there's like 5 different start days of flower. I'll have to look at the tags on the plants as I wrote the date I started / flipped to 12/12 on there. I don't really keep track of days that much. I just wait till I see 25% red hairs & then check the Trichs every few days to a week till they finish. I figure they're going to take how ever long they take anyway; so number of days doesn't matter.

HPS is more expensive to run, that's for sure. Since using HPS on 12/12 for the past couple months my bill has gone up $40 mo. more over the cost of LED. I can't wait to remove those pieces of crap. I got the worst yield I've had in ages using them also. LED is the way to go .... hands down. Should be able to change back to LED next weekend when my new light arrives.

Here is the Bruce Banger ... Well, what's left of her after the 1st chop. It's totally gone & in jars now. Another shitty yield.
A whole 3 oz. off this one. It's not bad; just not as narcotic as I like it. Great for a daytime buzz for sure.
9-740.JPG
9-741.JPG
9-743.JPG

A couple shots of 1 of the Peyote Wi Fi's that was a clone.

9-746.JPG
9-747.JPG

Some pics of another Peyote Wi Fi clone / plant. This one is giving the most trouble this time. All 3 of the Wi Fi's are.
Just this one more than the rest .... so far. I don't think it's a very good strain as I'm not having any problems with the others. Just weak branches on the Wi Fi's. I'm trying to tie them up a little better every 2 days when I feed. These girls take about 1.5 gallons each every 2 days. Currently feeding 5.5 MC, 1.5 Sweet Candy & 3 ml. Cal Mag per gallon.

9-748.JPG
9-749.JPG
9-750.JPG

Here's a couple shots of the 5 x 5. 3 Peyote Wi Fi in the back. 1 White Widow on the left front, 1 Gorilla Girl on right front & 1 Glue Cookies up front & center.

9-751.JPG
9-752.JPG

A solo shot of the White Widow. Almost done. Next weekend should do it. Yeah !

9-753.JPG

Here's the Gorilla Girl. Same for her, Next weekend ... Hip, Hip, Hooray !

9-754.JPG

Not much going on in the 3 x 3 as I'm starting my outdoor flowers in there. The 2 red pots are mixed flower arrangements & the 2 purple pots are Lavender's. I still have 2 Cherry on Top Clones in 1 gal pots in there & 4 clones going. 2 of these plants are for STS (seeds) & the rest I'll grow out to end my current grow.

9-755.JPG

I'll be re-doing my 5 x 5 in the next week or 2 to make it more automated. Need to order a 16" wall mount fan for it today to do what I want. A late after thought that I think will work great. I think this tent will be pretty bomb when I finish it ;) .

I got 2 of these Manifold Kits. Far from being a complete system but they are nothing I'm gonna use. Funny thing is, they shipped them to me from AZ.
Hey Farside, got some questions about the drip systems.
1) Is there much of a chance of the pots leaking all over the floor of the tent & will I need a Flood Table ( or will my current drain pans work) ?
2) I see some of these kits come with Air Pumps & Stones. I'm guessing this is to oxygenate the Res. ?
3) Any idea how big of a Res. I would need to accommodate a 5 plant grow so I only have to fill the Res. once per week during flower since that's when they drink the most ?
4) Some systems have the Manifold & some just have drip connectors coming off the lines. Would I get a more even feed distribution with the manifold ?

Sorry about all the questions. I'm really good at ordering the wrong stuff though & wasting money. Better to ask questions first & order later. Trying to get my list of parts correct so I can order it Monday. Any info is much appreciated. Thanks !

Ordering 2 - 16" Oscillating Wall Mount Fans with remote today for my tents. Found a 2 pack for $65 so adding 1 of these to my 5 x 5. Not sure where I'll put the other one yet; but I'm sure I'll use it.

I have to say, I never imagined I'd get this far equipment wise. But upgrading things after each grow for the past couple years is finally getting me to where I want to be. Do I have all Top Quality equipment ? No, not by a long shot. But I think I'll have a really good home grow system that takes minimal effort to keep up with soon. I'm so looking forward to that. Dragging plants in & out of the tent every other day to feed sucks !
Well, have to feed now & do some up-potting on the plants in the 3 x 3. 2 of the clones have rooted & the 1 gal. plants need to go to 3 gal. Talk at ya later. Work to do !

Hey Farside, got some questions about the drip systems.
1) Is there much of a chance of the pots leaking all over the floor of the tent & will I need a Flood Table ( or will my current drain pans work) ?
2) I see some of these kits come with Air Pumps & Stones. I'm guessing this is to oxygenate the Res. ?
3) Any idea how big of a Res. I would need to accommodate a 5 plant grow so I only have to fill the Res. once per week during flower since that's when they drink the most ?
4) Some systems have the Manifold & some just have drip connectors coming off the lines. Would I get a more even feed distribution with the manifold ?

Sorry about all the questions. I'm really good at ordering the wrong stuff though & wasting money. Better to ask questions first & order later. Trying to get my list of parts correct so I can order it Monday. Any info is much appreciated. Thanks !

Ordering 2 - 16" Oscillating Wall Mount Fans with remote today for my tents. Found a 2 pack for $65 so adding 1 of these to my 5 x 5. Not sure where I'll put the other one yet; but I'm sure I'll use it.

Note in my original post that it says "nothing I'm gonna use". I have not and will not be setting up an auto watering system. It just isn't going to work in my size or location of tents. So it's nothing I can really advise on.

Back
Top Bottom