Dick23rk's Fresh Start: Mantis Nutrients Featuring MedicGrow's New Spectrum X+ 880w Light Panel

That's an interesting way of putting it Jon. I do tend to like a bit of a challenge, that's why I dove into dwc. I've never grown Jack herer and I'm unsure of those seeds breeder, I'll have to go back to my seed order from 4 years ago and try to see if I can find out.

I think deep down inside I was hoping someone would pick a sativa leaner. :laughtwo:
I have a couple kilimamjaro as well.
I've researched growing Jack and it's daunting in my opinion. Kind of the ultimate sativa. I asked my real experienced pro grower buddy in Oregon if I should grow it this grow in the Gorilla under the new lights, since I have the one foot extender for height and the light is low profile and puts out no heat so it can be real close to the plants. He said "it's only your second grow...I know you want a challenge, but trust me, Jack is a tough grow....if I were you I'd get a couple more sativa hybrid grows under my belt first....and when you grow Jack I would keep the tent to Jack only" He basically said "you ain't ready for that yet pal" in a nice way, lol. I'm not saying you can't nail it cuz I have every confidence in the world that you can. Just research what it likes a lot, and specifically the needs from whichever seed bank you'd use, as they tend to be a bit different depending on the breeder. Check out Hembra Genetics. They have almost every top shelf breeder there is and they have the ultimate customer service. You'll likely find Jack there in several spots I would think. Anyway, just my vote, only counts for one!!!

I have some Royal Queen Seeds Hulkberry feminized photo for one tent and some Raspberry Parfait feminized photo for another, on top of all the strains I'm currently growing. I also have ten Humboldt Seed Company Sour Apple auto seeds coming that I'm gonna do a real low scrog on in the auto tent next run. Heh. I became a seed junkie day one. It's terrible, I can't stop myself. I have so many seeds I'm giving them to friends.

I've researched growing Jack and it's daunting in my opinion. Kind of the ultimate sativa. I asked my real experienced pro grower buddy in Oregon if I should grow it this grow in the Gorilla under the new lights, since I have the one foot extender for height and the light is low profile and puts out no heat so it can be real close to the plants. He said "it's only your second grow...I know you want a challenge, but trust me, Jack is a tough grow....if I were you I'd get a couple more sativa hybrid grows under my belt first....and when you grow Jack I would keep the tent to Jack only" He basically said "you ain't ready for that yet pal" in a nice way, lol. I'm not saying you can't nail it cuz I have every confidence in the world that you can. Just research what it likes a lot, and specifically the needs from whichever seed bank you'd use, as they tend to be a bit different depending on the breeder. Check out Hembra Genetics. They have almost every top shelf breeder there is and they have the ultimate customer service. You'll likely find Jack there in several spots I would think. Anyway, just my vote, only counts for one!!!

I have some Royal Queen Seeds Hulkberry feminized photo for one tent and some Raspberry Parfait feminized photo for another, on top of all the strains I'm currently growing. I also have ten Humboldt Seed Company Sour Apple auto seeds coming that I'm gonna do a real low scrog on in the auto tent next run. Heh. I became a seed junkie day one. It's terrible, I can't stop myself. I have so many seeds I'm giving them to friends.
I just found out that these jack herer beans are from the seedsman line of strains. They were freebies when I made an order there with my voucher from picture of the month. I was able to look up my past orders and find out, nice to know who it's from at least.

Good to know though, maybe it is a challenging grow. My very first grow indoors was amnesia haze auto and candy cane auto, both mostly sativas. I haven't grown out too many since but always look for something interesting, maybe jack herer could be it. I don't think I'd want to grow more than 2 in there, even 1 could be enough.

That sounds like a good line up you got going there. I'll have to pop over to your journal soon and have a look around, I haven't gotten there yet but have been meaning to.

**DWC Update**

Good evening everyone! I had some time to get in the garden and get this update done after work, I needed to get in there and top up the buckets. They weren't really that low yet but it's been since April 11th since I did that res change and clean so I figured I'd better refresh the buffers in the nutrients at least. Lets have a look and see how they've been.

Big Bang - Day 42
Clipped off the 2 lower ugly leaves, not just because they're ugly though, they were touching the top of the buckets and other leaves causing moisture buildup. So off they went and we should get some air through there now. I won't do any more clipping or defoliation on these now until a few weeks into flower, just some light LST to get the branches spread out some. They really are building some structure compared to the potted plants, and being the youngest in the group that's amazing.

Each res got topped off today to just under the net pots, trying to get all the roots soaked again since I added in some UC Roots. The directions are pretty vague IMO on how much to use for which system. It doesn't specify for dwc, but I went by recirculating, because it's not drain to waste which has a different amount. So the amount showing for a recirculating system was 1-7ml per gallon, that's a big range. I opted to start light at about 2ml per gallon. Estimating there is usually 3 gallons in each res, I put 12ml into todays mix of 2 gallons and it will level out to about 2ml/G once mixed in.

Here's the mix made up for today, I started with 2 gallons of RO water but didn't use quite all of it to top up.
1ml/G CaliMagic
5ml/L Mantis Nutrients
12ml/G UC Roots

Here are the readings from the res prior to topping up, and the readings from our top up mix. I didn't take an after reading of the res, maybe tomorrow. I'm getting sort of trusting with these buffered nutrients already, it's a nice feeling.

PH / TDS / Temp (c)
Bucket 1 - 5.45 / 681 / 19.6
Bucket 2 - 5.44 / 664 / 20.5
Top up mix - 5.45 / 635 / 20.1

That's about it for these 2 I believe, it's been kind of plug and play aside from the one hiccup we had. Deficiencies don't seem to be out of control now so that's great. I'll leave you all with a few pictures to go, have a great night all!

I just found out that these jack herer beans are from the seedsman line of strains. They were freebies when I made an order there with my voucher from picture of the month. I was able to look up my past orders and find out, nice to know who it's from at least.

Good to know though, maybe it is a challenging grow. My very first grow indoors was amnesia haze auto and candy cane auto, both mostly sativas. I haven't grown out too many since but always look for something interesting, maybe jack herer could be it. I don't think I'd want to grow more than 2 in there, even 1 could be enough.

That sounds like a good line up you got going there. I'll have to pop over to your journal soon and have a look around, I haven't gotten there yet but have been meaning to.
If it were me and I wanted to grow Jack Herer I wouldn't personally get the seeds from that company. Just me.

Your plants look awesome, and those roots are banging out like crazy! Those babies are going to start getting big fast now that you’re dialed in. Growing is so often panic panic panic... ahhhhh, relax. LOL

Hey @dick23rk I have to get caught up but I saw talk of Jack Herer. I always wanted to grow it and finally started 4 last fall. Sadly I had to cut them down to sell the house. Anyway, I got mine from a fairly large seedbank and 1 of them ended up an auto but the other 3 were extremely uniform. Still bummed I had to cut them like right as I flipped them. I didn't find it too hard to grow but I was in soil and who knows on the genetics with 1 being an auto. Can't wait to catch up. Plants look great

If it were me and I wanted to grow Jack Herer I wouldn't personally get the seeds from that company. Just me.
These were freebies from an order I made, that's why there's no breeder pack. I do a little research before buying most of the seeds I actually pay for lol

Those big bangs in the dwc, those are seedsman freebies as well now that I looked up my order. I out freebies in the dwc for a reason :laughtwo:
Your plants look awesome, and those roots are banging out like crazy! Those babies are going to start getting big fast now that you’re dialed in. Growing is so often panic panic panic... ahhhhh, relax. LOL
Thanks rider! Aside from the puffy/curled leaves which is likely environment related, they are doing fairly well. They are starting to show some of that dwc vigor, even with a bad environment I can see the huge difference in potted vs hydro. The tent will get used lots this winter to help with humidity :cheesygrinsmiley:

I used to panic lots when something happened or came up even on my last grow before taking a break. But since restarting this grow I've been much better than before. When the plants in the dwc went south fast I was thinking "well, it is what it is if they die"
But to my amazement we got them turned back around with the help from all of you here. I love this place.

Hey @dick23rk I have to get caught up but I saw talk of Jack Herer. I always wanted to grow it and finally started 4 last fall. Sadly I had to cut them down to sell the house. Anyway, I got mine from a fairly large seedbank and 1 of them ended up an auto but the other 3 were extremely uniform. Still bummed I had to cut them like right as I flipped them. I didn't find it too hard to grow but I was in soil and who knows on the genetics with 1 being an auto. Can't wait to catch up. Plants look great
No problem getting caught up, there was a lot of chatter on a few pages (which I don't mind at all). Not sure where you left off but the light panel intro was on page 11 and most of the updated stuff is on the last 2 pages, all you really need lol.

Sad when we have to abandon grows, I've been there but it was due to aphids that got out of control. And an outside grow that couldn't finish before the snow. Part of growing I say.

These jack herer seeds appear to be from the seedsman line, so I'm not sure how stable or good their genetics are. Recently found out the big bangs in dwc are from them as well.

You'll find a seed list on the previous page, that's where the talk of Jack herer came from. Pick something as a suggestion from the list for me to grow in the new tent.

**DWC Update**

Good evening everyone! I had some time to get in the garden and get this update done after work, I needed to get in there and top up the buckets. They weren't really that low yet but it's been since April 11th since I did that res change and clean so I figured I'd better refresh the buffers in the nutrients at least. Lets have a look and see how they've been.

Big Bang - Day 42
Clipped off the 2 lower ugly leaves, not just because they're ugly though, they were touching the top of the buckets and other leaves causing moisture buildup. So off they went and we should get some air through there now. I won't do any more clipping or defoliation on these now until a few weeks into flower, just some light LST to get the branches spread out some. They really are building some structure compared to the potted plants, and being the youngest in the group that's amazing.

Each res got topped off today to just under the net pots, trying to get all the roots soaked again since I added in some UC Roots. The directions are pretty vague IMO on how much to use for which system. It doesn't specify for dwc, but I went by recirculating, because it's not drain to waste which has a different amount. So the amount showing for a recirculating system was 1-7ml per gallon, that's a big range. I opted to start light at about 2ml per gallon. Estimating there is usually 3 gallons in each res, I put 12ml into todays mix of 2 gallons and it will level out to about 2ml/G once mixed in.

Here's the mix made up for today, I started with 2 gallons of RO water but didn't use quite all of it to top up.
1ml/G CaliMagic
5ml/L Mantis Nutrients
12ml/G UC Roots

Here are the readings from the res prior to topping up, and the readings from our top up mix. I didn't take an after reading of the res, maybe tomorrow. I'm getting sort of trusting with these buffered nutrients already, it's a nice feeling.

PH / TDS / Temp (c)
Bucket 1 - 5.45 / 681 / 19.6
Bucket 2 - 5.44 / 664 / 20.5
Top up mix - 5.45 / 635 / 20.1

That's about it for these 2 I believe, it's been kind of plug and play aside from the one hiccup we had. Deficiencies don't seem to be out of control now so that's great. I'll leave you all with a few pictures to go, have a great night all!

So damn healthy looking. Awesome.

Sad when we have to abandon grows, I've been there but it was due to aphids that got out of control.
Just for future reference.
I have no affiliation but I can tell you that a few years ago hundreds of commercial and private growers in Washington state were inundated by aphids. It was like a plague of tiny locusts. Flying Skull Nuke-Em saved a lot of asses. It worked when nothing else would and it’s OMRI listed.
May you never see another aphid in your life.

Just for future reference.
I have no affiliation but I can tell you that a few years ago hundreds of commercial and private growers in Washington state were inundated by aphids. It was like a plague of tiny locusts. Flying Skull Nuke-Em saved a lot of asses. It worked when nothing else would and it’s OMRI listed.
May you never see another aphid in your life.
Thanks for the info rider!
That's kind of something, because it was 2-3 years ago it was kind of the same here. We have a light green kawasaki atv, the aphids were covering it, looked like a friggin crawling ants nest. They got in my house through the screens and on clothes, attracted to the ceiling Iights. Well then they found the grow room, and away they went during flower. I was rather inexperienced with bugs at the time and ended up losing that crop mostly.

I was on the Flying Skull page the other day when I was reading up on z7. Then I found there was a Canadian version of it. I'll have to see if the nuke-em is available here in case they come back this summer.

It’s not available in Canada but I know this guy that knows this guy who’s brother has shipped lots of stuff to Quebec. He’s well versed in the shipping docs required. :cool:

It’s not available in Canada but I know this guy that knows this guy who’s brother has shipped lots of stuff to Quebec. He’s well versed in the shipping docs required. :cool:
Very nice. I know a guy that crosses the border 5 or so days a week for work as well that might be able to bring it over. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Ahh yes, I remember that now about your cross-border buddy. And it was about three years ago that the aphid invasion happened. Aphids EVERYWHERE! A close friend had a 10,000 sqft commercial grow op that came close to losing everything. The grow stores couldn’t restock Nuke-Em fast enough.

Ahh yes, I remember that now about your cross-border buddy. And it was about three years ago that the aphid invasion happened. Aphids EVERYWHERE! A close friend had a 10,000 sqft commercial grow op that came close to losing everything. The grow stores couldn’t restock Nuke-Em fast enough.
Shit. Well I hope we don't get them as bad this year. Was 2 years in a row we ended up dealing with them here, I couldn't believe the amount of them there was.
I’ve used the flying skulls Canada version for my hydro. It works well. I’m also not affiliated it was just the only thing reasonably priced I could find to keep the yuckies away.
Good to know. I'm going to check their website out again for sure and see what's available here and what is not. If I need something that isn't available here I'll find out if it can be driven across the border :cheesygrinsmiley:
Looking fantastic dick.
Thanks dusty! Trying to keep everything alive lol

**Quick Update**Day 1 of Flower**

Hey everyone, figured I'd pop in an drop a few pictures for today of the garden as a whole. Today marks the first day that I will be counting as flower time. We worked our way down from 18 to 12 over 3 days, and today I think the ladies have already figured it out.

The skunks that were already showing their sex over a week ago, are now starting to push out pistols all over, 1 is being a little slower.

Some of the SBC's are spacing out their nodes now and starting to show just the slightest little blip of their sex but no pistols yet, likely in the next day or 2.

Everyone is looking pretty happy today and I cannot complain one bit. Both potted and dwc plants are chugging right along.

There will be some slight adjustments to lst tonight or tomorrow and the dwc plants I will just keep bending, they seem to take it well, I just have nowhere to really secure to at the moment.

Been a long day so I won't feed tonight, pots still all have a decent amount of weight to them that they will last just fine until tomorrow. It's time to make sure we keep that medium moist and not let it dry out too much now that we're hitting flower.

Not much else to say right now about the garden itself, I've finally hit a bit of sweet spot (as sweet as it gets here in this current environment) and we are just playing the waiting game now. Let the budspacing begin!

Let the real show begin! :bong:

Back
Top Bottom