Emilya's Outdoor GeoFlora Organic Auto Journal, 2020, Unknown Master's Mix

Veg, Day 20

Today is a rainy day, so Twisty is out there getting too much water again. She did get a good spraying of lacto last night before all this hit... she will be fine.

I can report already one dead seed... the BubbleGum Kush was not meant to be. That seed immediately sank and a black spot appeared in the middle of it.

This morning after jiggling, all but one seed (forgot to look at the strain) sank... the floater is probably not viable either, but two of its sisters sank. Other than these two, all looks normal at this point. I will report back at the 24 hours point when I get home this afternoon.

How did the rave go...?
Actually, it turned into a riot! As soon as we went over the limit of 10 people gathered, instead of risking breaking the Covid-19 gathering rules, we got wild and began to riot. Riots of course are legal and do not spread the disease, so we felt safe. This little community has never seen an actual riot before, so I feel that I have made my mark, and changed this community for the better.

Veg, Day 20

Today is a rainy day, so Twisty is out there getting too much water again. She did get a good spraying of lacto last night before all this hit... she will be fine.

I can report already one dead seed... the BubbleGum Kush was not meant to be. That seed immediately sank and a black spot appeared in the middle of it.

This morning after jiggling, all but one seed (forgot to look at the strain) sank... the floater is probably not viable either, but two of its sisters sank. Other than these two, all looks normal at this point. I will report back at the 24 hours point when I get home this afternoon.
And so a new journey begins.. Proud Mama giving life to new plants welcoming them into the world smiling down upon her children watching them send out tap roots waiting for their emergence... This is one of my favorite parts about growing...

It took some extra effort, but we now have each variety in its own paper towel and baggie, and sitting out in my warm backydoor entry / laundry / mud room.
Most of the seeds appear at this stage to be viable. There are a few not doing anything, but they are definitely in the minority. Some seemed very aggressive and it is my belief that we will start seeing some tails as soon as tomorrow. There are going to be a lot of plants around here suddenly... I like that. :)
DSCF8168.JPG

Oh nice! Looking forward to following one of your grows from the beginning.
There should be a bunch starting up soon and I would love to have you follow along! Some are sure to crash and burn spectacularly so it should be entertaining to watch at the very least, and you will get to see my grow room build up out of necessity around these various grows too... it will all end up being sort of a how-to manual on how NOT to do this.

I expect massive pandemonium, complete with flashing lights and outrageous attempts at DIY. It makes me giddy just thinking about what I am attempting here. On a whim and a prayer, I think the saying goes... Some are already thinking that this proves me to be certifiable.
:rofl::popcorn::rofl:

There should be a bunch starting up soon and I would love to have you follow along! Some are sure to crash and burn spectacularly so it should be entertaining to watch at the very least, and you will get to see my grow room build up out of necessity around these various grows too... it will all end up being sort of a how-to manual on how NOT to do this.

I expect massive pandemonium, complete with flashing lights and outrageous attempts at DIY. It makes me giddy just thinking about what I am attempting here. On a whim and a prayer, I think the saying goes... Some are already thinking that this proves me to be certifiable.
:rofl::popcorn::rofl:
That is my kinda grow emilya! Shoot from the hip and wing it! :thumb:

Jumping in for this ride if ya don't mind. I've really enjoyed your thread. Happy to see one auto make it but that's growing for ya. It must have been hard choosing what to grow with that list of gems. This should be a fun ride.

Veg, Day 21

Today finds Twisty standing up to the occasional rain and handling it all like the champion she is. She is being eaten by various bugs, but not to the point yet that anything is in danger. I probably need to order some SNS just be sure though.

Here she is at the 3 week mark, really starting to put on some weight:

DSCF8170.JPG

Update on the seeds ...

24 hours after putting them in paper towels, two seeds have already put out tails between 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch long. One of the Tangerine Dreams appears to be highly aggressive as well as the Dinafem Cheese. They have both been planted, pointy end of the seed down about 3/4" deep, with the root sticking up above. Soil was carefully piled back into the hole and mounded at the top. Then that area was watered, until the mound of soil had leveled out where the hole was. I will water a little bit, twice a day until they surface. They have been placed in a north window until then, and I expect to greatly add to their numbers by this time tomorrow.

DSCF8173.JPG

Update on the seeds ...

24 hours after putting them in paper towels, two seeds have already put out tails between 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch long. One of the Tangerine Dreams appears to be highly aggressive as well as the Dinafem Cheese. They have both been planted, pointy end of the seed down about 3/4" deep, with the root sticking up above. Soil was carefully piled back into the hole and mounded at the top. Then that area was watered, until the mound of soil had leveled out where the hole was. I will water a little bit, twice a day until they surface. They have been placed in a north window until then, and I expect to greatly add to their numbers by this time tomorrow.

DSCF8173.JPG
Ok so you put the seed in the hole seed side down with the tap root above the soil? Then mounded dirt over the exposed tap root? This makes it easier for it to turn? Please explain.

Ok so you put the seed in the hole seed side down with the tap root above the soil? Then mounded dirt over the exposed tap root? This makes it easier for it to turn? Please explain.
I had the same question as Fudo Myoo? ..sounds counter intuitive..

no no... roots above the soil would not work very well. When nature drops a seed, the pointy end tends to go down first and then the first roots come out of the other end. The seed then orients itself with gravity and the roots start propelling the seed upward toward the light. This journey through the soil to the surface helps to loosen the seed husk from the embryonic plant, and it needs that inch or so of soil to go through to make this happen.

The mounded soil over the top of the seed is because I am not packing the soil around the seed and root, but I don't want a crevice in that zone when I water either... so a little mound of the extra soil that I know belongs in that hole is made over the top of it. The first watering liquifies that little mound of soil, and it flows into the hole and firmly around the seed and roots sitting in there. I find it to be a gentle but effective way to refill the hole.

no no... roots above the soil would not work very well. When nature drops a seed, the pointy end tends to go down first and then the first roots come out of the other end. The seed then orients itself with gravity and the roots start propelling the seed upward toward the light. This journey through the soil to the surface helps to loosen the seed husk from the embryonic plant, and it needs that inch or so of soil to go through to make this happen.

The mounded soil over the top of the seed is because I am not packing the soil around the seed and root, but I don't want a crevice in that zone when I water either... so a little mound of the extra soil that I know belongs in that hole is made over the top of it. The first watering liquifies that little mound of soil, and it flows into the hole and firmly around the seed and roots sitting in there. I find it to be a gentle but effective way to refill the hole.
I see, thank you, I’ll try just that. About half of mine pop up with the seed still on.

I should maybe also mention the care I take with the paper towels and the water I use to germinate.

Part of the manufacturing process for these paper products involves bleach... lots of it. There are many cheap towels out there made from recycled materials that are bleached very heavily to make them white again. This bleach can easily kill new seedlings, so I make sure it is gone by rinsing my towels out very completely. Not only do I rinse them, but I fill up a kitchen sink and immerse the towels in there, taking one out at a time as needed, rinsing it yet again in that tub of water one last time. Since I started doing this, my amount of fatalities at the paper towel stage have gone way down.

Also, not wanting to shock the emerging seeds, as I am pouring them out of the cups they were soaking in, that spring water they were soaking in is poured over the paper towel so that there is no change of pH or water quality as we transfer to the paper towels.

I should maybe also mention the care I take with the paper towels and the water I use to germinate.

Part of the manufacturing process for these paper products involves bleach... lots of it. There are many cheap towels out there made from recycled materials that are bleached very heavily to make them white again. This bleach can easily kill new seedlings, so I make sure it is gone by rinsing my towels out very completely. Not only do I rinse them, but I fill up a kitchen sink and immerse the towels in there, taking one out at a time as I needed, rinsing it yet again in that tub of water one last time. Since I started doing this, my amount of fatalities at the paper towel stage have gone way down.

Also, not wanting to shock the emerging seeds, as I am pouring them out of the cups they were soaking in, that spring water they were soaking in is poured over the paper towel so that there is no change of pH or water quality as we transfer to the paper towels.
My Mom mentioned the bleach thing also along with perfumes-sents colored pattern and thickness issues but i kinda blew her off because she makes these suggestions when we dont have it, or after the fact and I've kinda had enough of it and just make do with what's around. Dont get me wrong, I love her to death but it wears on you after a while.. ... I probably have to work on my attitude for the 2nd grow, calm down, not rush into stuff without having everything I need.. It's a character flaw of mine and see it as self sabotaging..Personal growth noticing and being aware of it I guess..
Side Note: I started my grow at one of the worst times ever in the middle of the covid outbreak and finding TP,Napkins or paper towels in stores was getting extremely difficult to find because these items were getting hoarded quickly. So like all the years i could have picked to start a first grow, I get stuck with Covid 19, delay after delay.. go figure.. :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom