Emmie's 6 Plant, True Living Organic, LED Grow Journal

Interesting creating hot spots in the soil.
The reason I do this is that the roots can handle raw nutrients if they are encountered in zones. Being a weed, the plant can highly specialize when it comes across a deposit of something in nature and it can assemble the appropriate microlife to break down those elements and feed them to the roots. This specialization can only happen when the roots encounter a zone of raw material, because the overall response of the plant to a soil that had all this mixed throughout would be an inability to specialize in any one area of the container, losing out on vital nutrients that you can only get with a spike or a layer. I'm sure there is curiosity about the use of flowering spikes in veg too... and my answer to any questions about this is that even in veg, some trace amounts of the flowering nutes are needed and can be used by the plant, especially if specialization can occur.

Emilya, your plants are looking great. You really have your organic growing down. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you, but I give the credit to the plants... strong genetics all.

We are now 24+ hours after the up-pot on the two older ones and it wasn't long into before the screaming and complaining stopped and I could visually see that color was coming back into Wappa. She may still lose her first 2 true leaves, but they are on the mend too, so we will see. Her overall color has matched the others in the tent now and the two biggest fans are slowly filling back in with healthy green. She will be fine, but in this run she needed to become an example of being rootbound so as to slow her down a bit. We will get some more pictures of her in the next few days after she quickens up again... seems like its been forever waiting for her to start sending those lower branches up after the trim between nodes 2 and 3.
Jack had an interesting reaction to the new container too. She immediately felt the surge of nutrients and presented me within 6 hours with a clear "ouch" as she adjusted to what she was finding in all the layers. She too will be OK, she just needed to complain a bit, and I understand... life does that to us sometimes and we need to vent.
DSCF6713.JPG

Do you see those tips pointing down to the ground as they burned up? She clearly has something to say to someone who can slow down enough to listen.

All of the girls have now achieved emptying the water I gave them, in 24 hours...
So today everyone was up-potted to 1 gallon containers. Several of them are going to require topping in the next few days. The 1000w LED has been carefully adjusted to 12" above the tops.
Here come a few more complaints about the layers and spikes... and then soon we should see a dramatic tent wide growth spurt!
The girls insisted on a group shot so they can say hi!
DSCF6715.JPG

Two more trimmings {between nodes 2 and 3} this morning... Train Wreck and Super Cheese have finally elevated that 5th node up where it can be seen... and now this:
DSCF6716.JPG DSCF6717.JPG
Also, no complaining can be seen from the others as a result of the re-pot into spikes and zones... it is only Ms. Jack who seems to be a bit of a whiner here... we will watch her closely for any further outbursts.

Beautiful plants! I see they passed your 24 hour challenge, so you’ve now up potted them. What’s your expectation of them now as far as how quickly they will use up their water? Will they take a week or longer to drink that up? Or only a few days? Or do you just wait and see?

I’m not sure what to expect from mine at all.

Beautiful plants! I see they passed your 24 hour challenge, so you’ve now up potted them. What’s your expectation of them now as far as how quickly they will use up their water? Will they take a week or longer to drink that up? Or only a few days? Or do you just wait and see?

I’m not sure what to expect from mine at all.
Yep, they all got very thirsty and the roots starting to wrap on the sides of the cup showed why. Normally I would expect them to be ready to up-pot again to their final cloth bags in about 2 weeks, except that now is when I really start pushing their topping and training hard, so I am going to stunt them a little bit with the chopping and I expect to add another week in that process. I really would like to start flower around the first of the year, but I may delay that depending on the size of the smaller plants by then. At any rate, I will be carefully watching their water use and they appear to be at about 4-5 days upon initial transplant, and I expect to see that diminish with each and every wet/dry cycle... so to answer your last question, I just wait and see, and let the plants decide for me when it is time, not just when to water (and they are all on their own individual schedules right now) but also when they are ready for the next up-pot.

Thing are happening fast here... when I got home from work today the last two had stretched, and also popped their 5th... incredible growth in just 8 hours! So...
Ice Breaker and NYC Diesel just got topped too.
DSCF6721.JPG DSCF6722.JPG

Wappa has turned into a monster, being the oldest one in the tent. Even though still complaining a bit about her previous treatment, she has been sending the lower nodes up to the point that it is time to deal with her. I have always called this quartering, but I have heard other popular names for it, but basically I use some metal planter wire to make loops that I can train the 4 main tops with. I have bent each of the branches down so the tip is lower than the center of the plant. This will produce crazy growth on all the lower nodes, and since the center of the plant has been opened up, all the light and air those little secondary and tertiary buds need is now available. Watch over the next week while 16 new growth tips try to take dominance and rise up to join the canopy.
DSCF6720.JPG

Back
Top Bottom