Emmie's LSD Grow Log

the last grow on my outdoor long ass journal was an lsd as well :;):
I still got another seed as well not sure tho I got a few seeds given to me so might be obliged to do them first.
Your LSD is looking awesome :goodjob:
And yeah she'll bounce back in no time are you giving her some root juice or something like that??

no, I am not giving her anything but purple light, lots of air and distilled water. The microlife in the soil get a bit of molasses to feed on, but they are doing the hard work when it comes to feeding the plant, and they need the complex sugars to stay alive.

Today our LSD got it's second training session. Today she learned that not only do we cut, but we also restrain.

Here she is out here at the shop computer, hanging out with me. Her color is good and her growth is good, she just needed to be spread out a bit. Today, using my devious metal clips, I have spread her out to the 4 quarters.

lsd_playing_computer.JPG

I mentioned my clips. After much thought and experimentation, I have come up with these. They have met all of my criteria, reusable, easy, cheap, and better than training systems using the container lip, they will be up-potted along with the rest of the rootball! They are formed out of some galvanized wire that I found at the hardware store. The clever thing here is the odd outward angle that the feet of this hoop are taking, to dig into the soil and allow this small clip to have some ability to hold. I prebend a dozen or so of these on a length of wire rolled off of the spool, and then quickly go down the line with my snips. It is easy, cheap and very effective.

metal_restraints.JPG

So using these, the two new growth tips have been bent over. Also, the next set down has been tamed and sent to the north and south. This plant has effectively been quartered.

right_growth_tip_down.JPG
left_tip_retrained.JPG
crokette_anyone.JPG

More as she starts to react to this abuse...

Hi Em, here is my question on LST'ing. How does watering go with all these branches tacked into the soil? I'm looking at holes in pot and using string. Any tips? Thanks.

watering goes just fine... none of the branches are actually down on the soil and there is plenty of room to get up under there to water. I have been using string and binder clips for a long time... gotten pretty good at it. The problem is when it is time to transplant. I wanted something that I could start with early, and that would move along with the plant as it grew.

DSCF52412.JPG

Today's update finds us messing with our LSD big time. We have moved all of the plants out of the veg tent and into the big bloom tent with its much better airflow. Already our LSD was showing signs of having outgrown the 3q container, and having a need to push her along a bit to get in line with some others going to flower soon, I pushed her all the way up into a 5 gallon smart pot. Immediately she perked up and showed no signs of transplant shock at all. The new container is layered with all sorts of good stuff, and as the roots spread out over the next couple of weeks, I expect to see rapid growth. Until the roots get set in the new containers, lights are at 18/6 with 600w MH, and in the middle of this anticipated growth spurt I plan to change to 12-1 GLR lighting to see if it slows growth down enough to notice, if at all. As soon as horizontal training is done by tying down each growth tip until it reaches the edge of the container, topping will then be done to increase the final yield. I expect to go to flower by the end of February... let's see what happens in the rest of the tent.

Here are the other contestants playing in this round.

5gal smart pots
LSD
Cookies Kush

7gal grow bags
Tangerine Dream
AK47
Green Crack
Royal Queen Critical
DSCF52402.JPG

Looking great. Fabric pots are the bees knees. Still working on a device to get the bottom just 1/2" off of the saucer. If I had a bunch of really thick aluminum wire I would twist it and make snakes to put under the pot and allow airflow. one of the great things about fabric pots is just feeling underneath for wet or dry roots. So awesome and more precise than the pot lift.

I have a bag of river rocks, and I just throw 10 or 12 of these out on my drip pan and then set the cloth pot on top of them. My pots are never in the water. Check out the bottom left pot in the group picture.

Nice tent, 4x4? I have 4, 5 gal pots and will be adding 2, 3 gal pots but room is an issue now with my air vent.

Cheers

Yeah I remember you used rocks which is great but my pots are 10gallons and I hate to think of adding rocks haha. I am always moving and rearranging pots to examine them or adjust their grow position. These pots when full are already a bear!

I am considering some little rolling carts to put my plants on, just the size of a 14" drip pan... I saw some at the hardware store somewhere. :)

Nice tent, 4x4? I have 4, 5 gal pots and will be adding 2, 3 gal pots but room is an issue now with my air vent.

Cheers
yep, its a 4x4. Airflow is not a problem here with 3 fans working on the problem, and they are all mounted up top or in other tents. My filter fan is pushing a lot of air out, forcing all the flaps to open and bring air in passively and aggressively from below, and then the fan in the veg tent is pushing air in from there, and its open flaps, and that comes in via a roof vent. This sets up quite a breeze in there! At the moment there is still room for my cooler/chair in one corner and an oscillating fan in the other. Eventually I am going to get the fan off of the floor too and then I think I can add 2 more 7 gal... but that would be pushing it. I have a feeling that what I have in there now with 6 plants is going to be pushing things too, so I am very carefully training everyone to be as short as possible this time before flipping that switch.

Seemed a good time to do an update. Everything is going well, no signs of burning or deficiencies of any kind, and the plants seem to love the smart pots and the several layers of goodness they are finding between their toes. I watered the top of the 5 gal pots 2 days ago with 1/2 gallon of AACT and it seems to be just what they needed to get the roots really going, because it seems that possibly tomorrow they are going to be light enough to give a proper watering again. The 7 gal containers got the same treatment today, getting a gallon apiece of a good strong AACT, just to keep the old rootball active while the roots catch up with the containers. According to the lift method they were not ready for this watering this time, but I seem to break the rule on that first watering after a transplant. It is my experience that now that the top has been reinvigorated, the whole system will take off, and it will be normal watering from here on out... the shorter the cycle, the stronger the roots.

I am using my metal hoops to tie down the growth tips all the way out to the sides of the containers. This results in 8-12 strong growth tips that will finally be allowed to go vertical. Once heading toward the light, they will all be topped once more to create a bush worthy of dedicating 5 and 7 gallons of soil and 4 months of time and energy into. It is my goal to create 4-6 oz plants by doing this, and have my best run yet. We will see what happens... best laid plans and all that.

So here is our LSD, all splayed out and showing all of her private parts to god and anyone else who cares to look. I think I count 8 main nodes that are going to go vertical before we run out of territory to stake her out any further. As these 8 rise up this next week, I will be pinching off the tips, doubling the active buds going to flower. Proudly, she would like you to note that before she goes to flower, she should be no more than 10" tall. Hopefully in a couple of weeks all this training will have calmed down their need to stretch in flower a bit, and we will end up with a very manageable garden. Again... best laid plans.

The other thing I did a bit strange this time was that I was not careful applying the AACT at all. I made a point of pouring it all over the plants... even left the debris on the leaves afterward. It was more of a dousing... a drenching... and definitely a chance for any foliar feeding that might happen, to go ahead and happen. They seem to have liked it. Dirty leaves with a little dust on them are happily lifted to the light... no damage seen at all on the leaves. I would spray them off, but I don't see the point... I am just going to do it again in a week. Anyway, that is the dirt you see on the leaves... nothing at all to be concerned about. :)

DSCF52502.JPG

DSCF52514.JPG

I hope your garden is making you as happy as mine is making me,
Be well everyone,
Emmie

Back
Top Bottom