Emmie's Perpetual Vegetative Grow Rooms - 2020-2021

Veg room #1 is getting an upgrade today... one of my oldest lights! This is the Sunblaze T5 4' x8 array. This was my bloom light years ago when I started this thing, always keeping this powerful light 4 inches away from the canopy in a tightly controlled 10" above the surface, SCROG.

That was then... today, I converted it to LED! It now runs shatterproof 5000K 3280 LUMEN CRI 80 dimmable 25w LED arrays in a T5 tube, rated like any other LED at 50,000 hours instead of the one run and they are done, florescents. And, instead of running its original 432w, it will now run at a cool 192w, putting out way more light!

This will be so much better for veg than the 3000k COB array that I have been running in there, or the red LED cheap arrays I have in the mother room. The light looks white when I look at it here in the grow room office (CRI 80) but I want to see how the camera sees it... probably very blue. These pictures are the first test before I hang it, to see where we are at. I am seeing it for the first time here, right now, right along with the rest of you! How blue will it be without any color correction?

DSCF9080.JPG
DSCF9079.JPG

Turns out, it is a very pretty white with just a hint of blue! Emmers did good with this one... a true modernization and upgrade for the ages!

The new light is working wonderfully and the plants seem to love it. I want to update two more plants here on this thread because they are not being covered anywhere else.

First, the Hippy Hash. This stubborn plant still has not show its sex. I have looked and looked, with a loupe, and I still can't tell. So, he/she still lives in its 1 gallon container. It has one way to get out of there... declare.

DSCF9091.JPG

Next is our little Durban clone. It has definitely established now and thriving. It will be given some care and LST'd into some sort of high producing shape with lots of buds. It is a strong survivor and I expect great things from this little plant.

DSCF9092.JPG

I wanted to just give a shout out and thanks to @Emilya for sharing a discount code to the @420 mag community to use @DYNOMYCO products. I will be using that as my myco product for the GSC sponsored grow. I want to do my best to only use products for the grow that are forum sponsors.

Poison Daddy Update!

Another shot so you can see the increasing green color change as the recovery progresses and growth begins to explode. The one gallon smart pots are doing their thing and I am watering around the edges, enticing the roots to fill in laterally. I am seeing a huge amount of lower node growth starting up, showing me that the web of roots underneath is also branching out well. I will top these plants soon to further increase that lower side growth, as soon as I think the recovering plants can handle it. The plants have established a wet / dry cycle of about 3 days right now, and I expect that to improve with every major watering. Still no sign of sex on the big ones that I suspect to be males, and I expect that as soon as the roots explode in that container demanding and uppot, so will the boys... as they tend to do.

I am incredibly impressed with how well these almost dead plants are recovering without adding any supplements or nutes, simply by using the organic grow cycle supplied by the @GeoFlora Nutrients. Seeing that happen also lets me know that the added Dynomyco is doing its job of producing the fungi that help bring nutrients to the roots, even as weak as they were after fighting off the gnat larvae. I have provided them with every possible advantage in their hopeful recovery and these are already showing that they are fighters, and super strong plants.

DSCF9041.JPG
Hi, I am currently reading all of your stuff your watering posts CHANGED MY PLANTS and harvests. I have a new system I am trying “10 liter air-pots super roots” the plastic ones in the photo with the holes in it for about a month, (I’m running autos in those three) I will up pot to the 15 liter cloth pots. My question is do you have you used these “air-pots” do they require special watering/feeding? My guy at the grow shop said they need to be watered more often but I am seeing great results. My 2nd question what size of pot would you suggest?

EBE76C30-83E8-488D-B312-0718F39633F8.jpeg

Hi, I am currently reading all of your stuff your watering posts CHANGED MY PLANTS and harvests. I have a new system I am trying “10 liter air-pots super roots” the plastic ones in the photo with the holes in it for about a month, (I’m running autos in those three) I will up pot to the 15 liter cloth pots. My question is do you have you used these “air-pots” do they require special watering/feeding? My guy at the grow shop said they need to be watered more often but I am seeing great results. My 2nd question what size of pot would you suggest?
I have never used the airpots, but the science behind them seems solid enough. I run mostly cloth grow bags at all stages of the grow and given the cost of a bag compared to a plastic air pot, I will not be trying them anytime soon. Regarding your "guy" at the grow shop giving advice... you might want to see how many actual grows this dude has had, and how many different grow systems he has tried before trusting his advice. There is no good reason they would need to be watered more often. Your plants will let you know when it is time to water, in whatever container you have chosen. You know the rules, dry as the Sahara, all the way to the bottom. No water weight... none of this changes because you are using different containers.
Container size, I am assuming you are talking about your final container, depends on how long you wish to veg and how big you want your plants to get. If you are running fast running autos, the most common recommendation is 3 gallon. If you are going for more production than 1.5-2 oz of product, you want to think about larger containers. 5 gal will get you about 3 oz, 7g will produce 5-6 oz on average, and a 10 gallon will allow you to easily produce 8-9 oz of product without even trying very hard. Then factor this in with how much room under the lights you have and how much will fit in the room.

I have never used the airpots, but the science behind them seems solid enough. I run mostly cloth grow bags at all stages of the grow and given the cost of a bag compared to a plastic air pot, I will not be trying them anytime soon. Regarding your "guy" at the grow shop giving advice... you might want to see how many actual grows this dude has had, and how many different grow systems he has tried before trusting his advice. There is no good reason they would need to be watered more often. Your plants will let you know when it is time to water, in whatever container you have chosen. You know the rules, dry as the Sahara, all the way to the bottom. No water weight... none of this changes because you are using different containers.
Container size, I am assuming you are talking about your final container, depends on how long you wish to veg and how big you want your plants to get. If you are running fast running autos, the most common recommendation is 3 gallon. If you are going for more production than 1.5-2 oz of product, you want to think about larger containers. 5 gal will get you about 3 oz, 7g will produce 5-6 oz on average, and a 10 gallon will allow you to easily produce 8-9 oz of product without even trying very hard. Then factor this in with how much room under the lights you have and how much will fit in the room.
Hey thanks for your reply, I kinda thought they were not special. I have not that much space under the light, I just have one MarsHydro sp 3000 in a 4x4 tent. It’s good enough for me I have a small grow just for personal use. But looking at what you were saying I’m going to get larger cloth pots. Thanks I will keep reading your stuff.

EBE76C30-83E8-488D-B312-0718F39633F8.jpeg
I have used Super Roots Air Pots and have quite a few of them. The smaller ones dry out pretty fast. I just purchased some of the real small ones for starting clones and seeds. I have always used red solo cups but my hands are not as steady as they use to be so I thought the small air pots may work better for me. They are hard to knock over unlike the solo cups. I have 10 clones growing in the small pots at present and only have lost a couple of clones. I have a good many of the size that looks close to your air pots and will up pot to that size. I think I bought these air pots in 2009 and still using them along with some 5 gallon ones. I started using grow tents a 2x4 with a SP 250 about a year ago and a 4X4 with 2 SP 3000 about 5 months ago. I only use the tents for flowering and veg in a 10X15 foot basement type room under cfl and hps lights. When I bought the 4x4 tent I also bought 12 of the 7 gallon air pots. If you are on a tight budget then you probably need to stay away from the air pots because they are a lot more expensive than fabric pots and I think they dry out faster.

You would all be very surprised to hear how much water evaporates from those or cloth bags, as compared to the amount of water that the plant sucks up out of that soil. It is not the magic of the holes in the sides that dries out plants quickly... a good root system is the only thing that does that. Try an experiment. Water an airpot full of soil to saturation, with no plant in it. Let me know how many weeks it takes to dry it out to Sahara Desert dry, as we do all the time in several days with a strong plant in it.

You would all be very surprised to hear how much water evaporates from those or cloth bags, as compared to the amount of water that the plant sucks up out of that soil. It is not the magic of the holes in the sides that dries out plants quickly... a good root system is the only thing that does that. Try an experiment. Water an airpot full of soil to saturation, with no plant in it. Let me know how many weeks it takes to dry it out to Sahara Desert dry, as we do all the time in several days with a strong plant in it.
Question about your dry Sahara dry. I, using a peat coco substrate. I’m using the less is more rule here when watering, (I was over watering and “burned” my last grow) now I have found your watering guide and I’m trying to make my roots work to grow. So I can use them in the end to make large buds.

1EFA6CBC-C473-41E2-9DCE-7594956788A4.jpeg

Question about your dry Sahara dry. I, using a peat coco substrate. I’m using the less is more rule here when watering, (I was over watering and “burned” my last grow) now I have found your watering guide and I’m trying to make my roots work to grow. So I can use them in the end to make large buds.
Bam, you are not growing in soil. Most of what I write about is for a soil gardener. With your coco/peat substrate, you have entered the hydro world. Your pH and watering requirements will be much different that for someone using soil. It is not appropriate for you to dry this soilless mix between waterings, and I suspect you will be advised by others who are experts in using this sort of substrate, to water twice a day.

Hey Em. I have a question. For my next grow I’m going to be using Foxfarm ocean forest mixed with happy frog and so my question is if the soil is supposed to have live beneficial organisms in them and you put it in the oven for 20 minutes to kill off any bugs does it not kill off the good parts of the soil as well?

Hey Em. I have a question. For my next grow I’m going to be using Foxfarm ocean forest mixed with happy frog and so my question is if the soil is supposed to have live beneficial organisms in them and you put it in the oven for 20 minutes to kill off any bugs does it not kill off the good parts of the soil as well?
The only thing that could possibly be killed off in the oven is the fungi and the microbes. Other good parts are the minerals... but they are dead anyway. Wood chunks and sea shells are in there... but again, dead already. There really isn't anything in there that can be harmed by a little bit of heat for a few minutes. But the bugs are killed... and their larvae and eggs. Myco can be used when you build your container to add back the fungi. One simple compost tea, a soil starter product, a microbial inoculation product, URB, Voodoo Juice, Realgrowers Recharge, all can instantly bring back the microbes so they can start reproducing again. No permanent harm comes to the soil, but the bugs are dead. That is what counts. The only good bug is a dead and well baked bug.

A short word about our surviving Hippy Hash plant. This thing is so frustrating, continuing to refuse to declare sex. I have been patient up until now, but I have had it. This tall thing is becoming a pain in veg room #1 and it had to go. It has been placed in the bloom room under 12/12 lighting... I am going to force the issue. If it is a girl, I will uppot her and stick her back in the bloom room... progress needs to be made.
Here is the sad and punished little androginoid, sleeping for her first night in bloom time:
DSCF9118.JPG

Hello again... the veg room is just about to start up again for our last crop of the year. I have started several LSD feminized seeds, which are some old seeds from Barney's that I have had in the fridge for several years... and it looks like at least 3 of them are going to come up. More when I know it and pictures will be included.

Also, I will be starting 2 sets of regulars, some special old world genetics brought to me by our sponsor @CannaPot ... so we plan to have 7 Amnesia F2 regulars and 7 Bushman's regulars starting up very soon. I am excited to be able to grow out these rare strains and those grow journals will be a fine way to end the 420 Magazine 2021 season.

Each of the varieties will get their own journals once we get going, and this veg room journal will mostly center in on the veg rooms specifically and anything I am doing special to accommodate all of these plants, isolate the males and breed more seeds of each strain, while the individual details of the strains will go to their own journals. Its complicated I know, but that is only natural since I am such a complicated girl.

The goal is to get to the bloom room in a couple of months or so with 12 well developed female plants. It is up to fate and US Customs what that mix is going to look like. Fingers are crossed that the fancy seeds make it over the pond and to my door.

Hello again... the veg room is just about to start up again for our last crop of the year. I have started several LSD feminized seeds, which are some old seeds from Barney's that I have had in the fridge for several years... and it looks like at least 3 of them are going to come up. More when I know it and pictures will be included.

Also, I will be starting 2 sets of regulars, some special old world genetics brought to me by our sponsor @CannaPot ... so we plan to have 7 Amnesia F2 regulars and 7 Bushman's regulars starting up very soon. I am excited to be able to grow out these rare strains and those grow journals will be a fine way to end the 420 Magazine 2021 season.

Each of the varieties will get their own journals once we get going, and this veg room journal will mostly center in on the veg rooms specifically and anything I am doing special to accommodate all of these plants, isolate the males and breed more seeds of each strain, while the individual details of the strains will go to their own journals. Its complicated I know, but that is only natural since I am such a complicated girl.

The goal is to get to the bloom room in a couple of months or so with 12 well developed female plants. It is up to fate and US Customs what that mix is going to look like. Fingers are crossed that the fancy seeds make it over the pond and to my door.
Ooh nice! Haven't had any of them! YUM!

And now, there are almost 5 up above ground! In that 5 I am counting one with a j-root problem and not quite up yet and one that I didn't expect to come up and had double planted it in one of the cups. Ooops... I dug her out of there very carefully and planted her in her own cup. If I actually have 5 here, that is outstanding for such old seeds and a credit to the seeds for their strength. LSD is fairly difficult to grow, and this J-root is a repeated thing with this strain for some reason. Looking at my first journal with this strain in 2016, I had these problems back then too, even when the seeds were fresh.

DSCF9700.JPG

We are getting closer to having 5... our J-rooted plant has managed to back its green part out of the soil backwards, and there it was, the entire thing, a circular root and all, sitting on the surface of the soil. I did what I could and buried the roots as best I could, right up to the neckline of the new seedling trying to emerge. It will either figure things out tonight or it will likely die. Cross your fingers and think good thoughts for our confused #5... she is battling hard.

Back
Top Bottom