Fanleaf Goes Hi-Brix On 6 Auto's

Dose range should be 0.5 - 1.0 ml per gallon of soil for GE, and a tenth of that for Tea = 0.05 - 0.01.

I give my 6 gallon pots 4 ml GE with 0.4 ml Tea.

And yeah, both at once, although it's best to keep them separated - don't mix the Tea with the GE. Tea goes with any of the drenches - GE, Trans or Cat.

Wholly mothership! :clap::yikes::yikes:
Good to hear Graytail, thanks!
Check out my Cree Mega Panel I'm finishing up

1114161632.jpg

Good God Fanleaf. That's a light! Mind if I ride along? I'm getting ready to shift my autos into Doc's soil and you, my friend, can be my textbook in how to get it done.

I'll sit over here on the floor and watch more than I'll talk. Well, we can hope. :laughtwo: I'm out and about right now but I'll catch up later. Thank you Graytail, for the directions here. :hug:

Good God Fanleaf. That's a light! Mind if I ride along? I'm getting ready to shift my autos into Doc's soil and you, my friend, can be my textbook in how to get it done.

I'll sit over here on the floor and watch more than I'll talk. Well, we can hope. :laughtwo: I'm out and about right now but I'll catch up later. Thank you Graytail, for the directions here. :hug:

Glad to have you stop in SweetSue. :welcome:

Please stick around. We can learn this Brix stuff together. This is my first wack at it. I figure if I want to grow the bet I can then Brixing it is what I need to learn. Trying to get the hang of it on auto's for now. Let's see what they like and when. All the Brix guys and gals here helping me along is very appreciated.
:Namaste:

Glad to have you stop in SweetSue. :welcome:

Please stick around. We can learn this Brix stuff together. This is my first wack at it. I figure if I want to grow the bet I can then Brixing it is what I need to learn. Trying to get the hang of it on auto's for now. Let's see what they like and when. All the Brix guys and gals here helping me along is very appreciated.

That was my thinking too fanleaf. I've run autos in kit soil but in azalea pots. The timing of the drenches is what got me off kilter, but I still harvested some excellent smoke. Ziggy should come in real handy here. He thinks waaaay outside the box. :laughtwo:

Ok. So its been 4 days since the Tea/GE was fed to them. They are now due for their weekly Brix spray and the pots are about light/dry enough already to need another watering or drench.

They all look slightly happier after the tea/ge but a few look slightly lighter green in color than I would like.

That being said I figured I would do a brix test so see where we are at. I found a VERY handy tool for the leaf extraction. Im using an old garlic press! Just 3 leafs in this thing squeezed out enough juice for several tests.
420-magazine-mobile941539048.jpg
420-magazine-mobile235603878.jpg

I cleaned and calibrated my refractometer with the water shown in this picture.
420-magazine-mobile939288401.jpg

Seems my brix level is on the low side at 11.6. So again, since they are due for their weekly brix spray I will do that but since the pots are about ready for water what would you pros suggest? Just wayer with transplant? Or should I do another tea/ge round to help bring the brix level up?
420-magazine-mobile283706430.jpg

Ill get some plant pictures up quick so you guys can see them as well.

420-magazine-mobile5636931.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1375446448.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1664372798.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2069672156.jpg

Also we can welcome 2 babys to the show. Both photo plants. Here is baby White Widow X Big Bud and baby Incredible Bulk. They wont be Brix plants though. Im gonna veg them in here until the 6 Brix girls are finished and then kick these 2 into flower.
420-magazine-mobile142777816.jpg

Sent from my android from outer space!

I'm going to recommend that you deviate from the schedule, but I want to explain why. It's easy to think about HB growing in the same way we think about a regular nute program, but in HB we're not feeding the plant much. The GE is a standard plant nutrient, but with this method the biota are shouldering most of the load. That's a good thing, because in a friendly soil environment, the plant roots and the biota communicate real-time, day and night. Whatever the plant needs is communicated through the root exudates, which change dynamically throughout the day, feeding one or another population of microbes to provide whatever precise mineral/nutrient mix the plant wants.

So when we see a plant that looks like it could use some help, we have to think in terms of what's screwing up the communication. Are the biota unhappy? Is there something in the soil that's blurring communication? If we feed the plant directly, the exudates won't feed the biota and they'll decline, so we don't want to feed the plant unless we have to. Tea is itself a dose of microbes, but it's very strong, so you have to be really sure before you use extra. Transplant is formulated to promote root growth, so that can help. DeStress gets transmitted to the roots and alters the exudates to call for more nutrition, so that can help. And WayAhead can foliar feed nutrients to give metabolism a boost.

So, some combination of Transplant, Tea, Destress and/or WayAhead is likeliest to help. :hmmmm:

If it were me, I'd lean toward a Trans/Tea drench with a DeStress/WA foliar. Did you get WayAhead?

I'm going to recommend that you deviate from the schedule, but I want to explain why. It's easy to think about HB growing in the same way we think about a regular nute program, but in HB we're not feeding the plant much. The GE is a standard plant nutrient, but with this method the biota are shouldering most of the load. That's a good thing, because in a friendly soil environment, the plant roots and the biota communicate real-time, day and night. Whatever the plant needs is communicated through the root exudates, which change dynamically throughout the day, feeding one or another population of microbes to provide whatever precise mineral/nutrient mix the plant wants.

So when we see a plant that looks like it could use some help, we have to think in terms of what's screwing up the communication. Are the biota unhappy? Is there something in the soil that's blurring communication? If we feed the plant directly, the exudates won't feed the biota and they'll decline, so we don't want to feed the plant unless we have to. Tea is itself a dose of microbes, but it's very strong, so you have to be really sure before you use extra. Transplant is formulated to promote root growth, so that can help. DeStress gets transmitted to the roots and alters the exudates to call for more nutrition, so that can help. And WayAhead can foliar feed nutrients to give metabolism a boost.

So, some combination of Transplant, Tea, Destress and/or WayAhead is likeliest to help. :hmmmm:

If it were me, I'd lean toward a Trans/Tea drench with a DeStress/WA foliar. Did you get WayAhead?
I didn't get Wayahead. Is that a Doc product? Thank you for that awesomely detailed response. A lot of that makes sense to me.

I didn't get Wayahead. Is that a Doc product? Thank you for that awesomely detailed response. A lot of that makes sense to me.

WayAhead is a fairly recent addition. A lot of HB guys have a fade in mid bloom that doesn't seem necessary, so the lab worked out a formula to provide trace minerals and some nutrition in a foliar. It's added to either a DeStress or Brix spraying. The foliars are purposely acidic to get past the stoma and into the leaf cells, and the WA tags along.

Doc said he'd be gone for "a few days" a couple days ago, so I don't know his schedule for the Holiday week, but he can typically get orders to you within a few days. No big deal not having it right now, but you should probably fire off an email and get yourself some.

I was leaning toward just a 1/4 Trans for watering, but I really think a full drench with Tea would help in early bloom like this. They're metabolizing pretty fast right now. And I don' really like the look of the leaves, so I'd hesitate to spray any more Brix now - DeStress is likelier to help. Brix is a photosynthesis booster, and I don' think they look like they want to be boosted. :straightface: DeStress with Trans/Tea should wake the biota the hell up, if they're just being lazy. Then see what happens. :slide:

WayAhead is a fairly recent addition. A lot of HB guys have a fade in mid bloom that doesn't seem necessary, so the lab worked out a formula to provide trace minerals and some nutrition in a foliar. It's added to either a DeStress or Brix spraying. The foliars are purposely acidic to get past the stoma and into the leaf cells, and the WA tags along.

Doc said he'd be gone for "a few days" a couple days ago, so I don't know his schedule for the Holiday week, but he can typically get orders to you within a few days. No big deal not having it right now, but you should probably fire off an email and get yourself some.

I was leaning toward just a 1/4 Trans for watering, but I really think a full drench with Tea would help in early bloom like this. They're metabolizing pretty fast right now. And I don' really like the look of the leaves, so I'd hesitate to spray any more Brix now - DeStress is likelier to help. Brix is a photosynthesis booster, and I don' think they look like they want to be boosted. :straightface: DeStress with Trans/Tea should wake the biota the hell up, if they're just being lazy. Then see what happens. :slide:
Awesome man. I will get an email off tomorrow. When I ordered my kit ( almost 5 months ago I would guess) i was shocked about how quick it got here. Ill probably just buy a whole kit for later.
Ill report back soon. Thank you so much Graytail. Its info like your giving that helps me understand more clearly what each component of the kit does.
I think I may cut the light back an hour at a time to bring it down to 18/6 as well. Theres no reason for me to run 20/4 with theese Crees. They dont need over 1000 ppfd for 20 hours lol.
I wanted to try 20/4 just because I have never done it. So far Im not impressed with that light cycle. Maybe if they were only seeing half the par they are it would make sense but I dont think its helping in this case. Thoughts?

One more question. Would raising the room temp help wake up the biota perhaps? Sinse I switched to theese cobs It makes running my room cool very easy. For instance where my 6" exhaust blower used to run at 100% just to stay 82 degrees or so, now its running at 20% to keep the room to 76-77 degrees. I wonder if I run the temp up to 80 if it would help. Its only 3 degrees or so but maybe?

Aha! I think you may be giving them too much light. There's something called Daily Light Integral (DLI) which is the total amount of light they get in a day = intensity * hours. Icemud first brought it to the forum, and I found a reply post he made that explains it all pretty well. He's posted a lot more info on his own threads, but they were harder to search. Check out his journals for some hard-core lighting info. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Lux?

I was surprised when my plants struggled under 1000 watts of LED in a 4x4 vs. the 540 watts I had run before. :thedoubletake: But with that much light, I needed a better environment - it just stressed the plants. I couldn't keep my humidity up and I was battling whiteflies, so the intensity didn't help at all. :laugh:

And yes, days should be in the low 80s. I saw an obvious difference when I'd warm the room up with a heater in autumn and winter - faster growth, more turgid leaf posture, etc.

Actually, now that I study the numbers, you're not far off ... :hmmmm:

Ill throtle the lights down a bit and cut an hour out of the timer right now. Ill have to put the oil type heater in there for sure. Im running the panel at 900w right now just for the added heat but i have to keep the panel about 3 feet from canopy for 1000ppfd lol. So ill make some changes. Drop lights closer but turn them down a bit so they still get about 1000 ppfd but for the added heat ill throw the oil radiator in there. I like those because they dont seem to drop the humidity quite as bad as the cheapy heaters that I have. I've got the humidifier in there so I have full control over humidity. That won't be a problem.
Ill look up Icemuds posts. We have talked about my lights many times so I know he is very knowledgeable on the subject.
Okay cool, I'll tweak the environment a little bit and see what that does.

So just a day and a half after a combo of Trans/tea and Destress spray I can already notice some improvements. Some is probably due to the shorter 18/6 light cycle and bumping the room temp up 3 degrees as well.

It was probably a combination of all of it but they seem to be liking life much better already. The few leafs that had some damage probably wont recover but other than that I think it seems to be on the right track now. We can give them a few more days and see if improvements continue.

Pictures are a bit shotty. Took them right before lights on.

1123161633e.jpg
1123161633d.jpg
1123161633c.jpg

So just a day and a half after a combo of Trans/tea and Destress spray I can already notice some improvements. Some is probably due to the shorter 18/6 light cycle and bumping the room temp up 3 degrees as well.

It was probably a combination of all of it but they seem to be liking life much better already. The few leafs that had some damage probably wont recover but other than that I think it seems to be on the right track now. We can give them a few more days and see if improvements continue.

Pictures are a bit shotty. Took them right before lights on.

1123161633e.jpg
1123161633d.jpg
1123161633c.jpg

You'll find that little things make a big difference.

Temperatures changes of 2 degrees, humidity 5%.....this is the difference between good and great when things are way out of line....and when things are spot on a change of temperature of just a couple degrees can change everything in the terp department.

Small things, consistency.....these are the "secrets."

If you're in the mood, I'd like to see another brix reading. :hmmmm: I bet one of those nice spiky 5-bladers would read higher now.

Does this look like a calcium issue guys? Its happening on a Pineapple express more than the rest. I can see a few spots like this on a few other plants but this ones the worst.
They all look like they are lacking a bit of N as well.
420-magazine-mobile816160233.jpg

Trichome production looks fantastic for this early in bloom.
420-magazine-mobile1062063016.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1592266614.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2127810610.jpg

What were they sprayed with recently fanleaf? Is it possibly a foliar burn? How close to harvest, and does it really matter at this point? Nice trichome development going on, from what I can see, and we don't grow them for the fan leaves, or at least most of us don't. I use them for medicinal oils, so I DO grow them for the fans.

This looks like something I recently did to my LOS plants playing with a new foliar.

Back
Top Bottom