First Grow In 10 Years: DWC Bagseed, Sherbert

Michael Hunt

Welcome to our journal everyone. Glad to be back on the forums after a long hiatus from growing any fun plants. There will be a giant plant, lots of rambling, and with a little luck, tons of pictures of big ol sticky buds.

This grow is already pretty far along so i will go over the environment and do a recap on what has happened so far.

This one is a tent grow. 3x3x6 Plant House tent and really wishing we could get a bigger one already. The lighting is a mars hydro tsw2000 LED light with the drivers outside of the tent. Exhaust ventilation is being taken care of by a 6” hyperfan with speed controller, rigid 6” elbows for improved airflow a short piece of semi rigid straight duct venting outside. Capped inside the tent with a 6x16 common culture carbon filter and prefilter.

329EC3EF-1F67-463E-8EB8-0E2BF6120896.jpeg
BBFE4DA2-623B-4B34-AEB3-5A75DB6990FD.jpeg
F5F5E983-A8AA-4D91-93E6-112CE022C19A.jpeg

The intake side has a small 4” booster fan and some flex duct. We’re also using one of the screen vents on the side while the light it on and close it in the morning when it turns off and we turn the exhaust fan down.

We’re running 3 wireless temp/hg sensors #1 is 4” from the floor in the back left corner. #2 is in the front left corner at canopy height. And #3 is in the ceiling. These are the temps with the lights on.
58021762-83E5-4A12-B7F6-BB3E0A3C8E61.jpeg

Nutrients are General Hydroponics Flora series Gro micro and bloom. We’re also using Botanicare’s CalMag and Hydroguard.

Now onto the star of the show. The seed came from a batch of “sherbert” we had gotten from a local dispensary. We have smoked ounces of this particular strain from the same dispensary over the years and have never found a seed. It just felt right when this one came to us. She sprouted some time ago in the usual wet paper towel. Then moved to a rockwool cube and eventually to her first bucket as soon as 6 roots popped free from their cube. Why 6? No idea, it just looked “ready”. The first bucket was 3 gallons and slow going. She started life under a kessil deep purple h350 led with some “full spectrum” led bulbs as supplemental light.
2EAFF370-6711-433C-A587-3A7A82E4BF01.jpeg

This was May 18. Not sure exactly what week of veg this was but she kept on like this for 9 long weeks. When we finally got our Mars light, we gave her one more week of veg to gradually bring the drivers up to 100% making the total veg time on this plant 10 weeks.

At the onset of 12/12 we changed her over to a 5 gallon bucket since the 3 gallon was just too little water for the size the rootball was reaching. After 2 days of 12/12 pistils started showing all over the big girl. Then came the stretch. . . And did she ever stretch. Even the rootball seemed to be stretching. This soon lead to the 5 gallon bucket becoming too small for the massive lump of plant mass this lady calls her roots.
01FBDAC1-108B-4DD6-9A1C-84B98FE9ADEC.jpeg
4E4725D8-0FC0-48F3-9551-2EA30DEF36BA.jpeg
B3DC2CDD-5F5D-4FD6-9256-1C4972DE48D8.jpeg
C7C1CCCD-2A78-4A36-BD4A-CA3044B49DBD.jpeg
53555696-1A26-40DB-AF41-D7E8158BC39B.jpeg

This meant it was time for a new “reservoir”. Came up with a combo of the 3 gallon bucket with its bottom cut off, and a craftsman 10 gallon tote with the bucket fitted into the lid. This gave me more volume for the roots and helps keep the water stable and in the perfect ranges.
17DD5B3D-E53F-430F-98C4-1B6775735F9A.jpeg
2C8C3478-F54F-4B8C-B4C1-7D570485A797.jpeg
EB519672-E1BA-41D2-A399-0E19EFB27AB1.jpeg
0A8538AA-AC86-4CFA-9CFD-C5ABCB4FA89B.jpeg

She has loved the past week or so in her new tote and looks right at home. Water temps are right around 67* and the ph keeps steady at 5.7 for at least 2 days before i have to top off her “tank” again.

532AC859-57A3-4729-8693-EA5DD251867A.jpeg

The rootball peeking out of the bucket tote after a day or two in her new home.

And today. The roots are ridiculous on this one.
7DEC3586-7E31-43DF-8676-189EF1F986B1.jpeg

We think the stretch is finally over with barely and inch to spare. There is about an inch from the light to the filter and 8” from the tallest buds to the light. Here are a bunch of pics from tonight. We counted 68 tops that made it up through the canopy tonight. Sixty freaking eight!
4A4656AA-8FC4-41DC-94B8-8C7A0694003F.jpeg
D5371495-BDCD-4C6E-8824-ED8B3D0DECA1.jpeg
152943DA-C671-4E90-B2F0-E7018FF81A96.jpeg
75F77DBE-2B48-497D-A741-28B4C0FC9CC0.jpeg
600626C1-55FF-4673-BE27-0AEC224FB212.jpeg
57502795-C6B9-4097-A778-C6A651C15426.jpeg
9674BC10-8191-4B6F-80A5-39C6B489FC96.jpeg
80B76962-86C1-44C0-A605-48EECA208AAE.jpeg
AE5AD197-7BD2-4811-8DEE-B1F6F0AC8183.jpeg

And that’s all for now. I hope you all enjoy and cant wait for feedback

Hey Mike. Sherbert? Sounds sweet!
You’re going to save yourselves a wee pile of pin money with your sixtyfreakingeight tops :high-five:
Did you take a cutting?
I’m impressed that you even remember your login after all this time. Glad to see what you’re doing - she looks The Business.

Hey Mike. Sherbert? Sounds sweet!
You’re going to save yourselves a wee pile of pin money with your sixtyfreakingeight tops :high-five:
Did you take a cutting?
I’m impressed that you even remember your login after all this time. Glad to see what you’re doing - she looks The Business.

Hey Donkey, thanks for joining along and the kind words! :passitleft: Yeah the dispensary labels the stuff as a Hybrid called "sherbert". Don't know much else about it aside from it has a great fruity taste and stinks to high heavens. We're considering running a second filter to deal with the smell. We took 2 cuttings from down low on her after she started showing pistils. They haven't rooted yet but we also don't have anywhere to keep em so they're off in the corner under the canopy. It was more of an impulse job to see if i still had the touch.
The log in was a real pain to figure out. It all started by finding my old journal in the abandoned section and tracing back from there. :yummy:

One of the things I like about wrangling the 420 controls - even a stoner like me can do it.
I’m glad I asked about the cuttings. Can I make a suggestion? Place the cuttings somewhere under 18hrs+ light/day. They won’t grow roots until they ”revegetate”. While you keep them under flower phase lighting their hormones will target flower production. Depending how far along they are it may take six weeks on longer days to see new growth.
Depending whether your tent light is on day or night it may be as simple as whipping them out of the tent before lights off every morning? And they can spend the day in natural light somewhere?
If your tent lights are on during the day though, you may want to find a cheap, dim cfl to sit them under each night.
It’s ok for them to only have light 24/0 until you see roots btw.
So, if we can’t get cuttings to take our last resort is to try to reveg the plant after harvest. You’ll need to leave as much larfy flower as you can down low if you do this because new growth comes from old flowers.

One of the things I like about wrangling the 420 controls - even a stoner like me can do it.
I’m glad I asked about the cuttings. Can I make a suggestion? Place the cuttings somewhere under 18hrs+ light/day. They won’t grow roots until they ”revegetate”. While you keep them under flower phase lighting their hormones will target flower production. Depending how far along they are it may take six weeks on longer days to see new growth.
Depending whether your tent light is on day or night it may be as simple as whipping them out of the tent before lights off every morning? And they can spend the day in natural light somewhere?
If your tent lights are on during the day though, you may want to find a cheap, dim cfl to sit them under each night.
It’s ok for them to only have light 24/0 until you see roots btw.
So, if we can’t get cuttings to take our last resort is to try to reveg the plant after harvest. You’ll need to leave as much larfy flower as you can down low if you do this because new growth comes from old flowers.

Thanks for the tips! :bongrip: We've been considering making a little tote/clone chamber with the little led lights that were used in the beginning. completely forgot about the whole light schedule to get roots started. We already veg 24/0 normally so it wouldn't be too out of ordinary for them. Will be bringing a tote home with me this evening and getting that going.

Reveging the big girl is definitely not an option here as the root ball is already bigger than a 5 gallon bucket and the overall height of the plant is just past 4ft. We're definitely growing smaller plants next time around. If the clones take, great. if not, i was already planning on ordering some seeds in the near future :yummy:

Water check tonight was 2 gallons low.
Ph before 6.1
Ppm before 487

Topped her up with 2 gallons that fixed those numbers.
Ph after 5.7
Ppm after 774

Also decided to add some liquid coolbloom to the mix. Started her off with only 1ml per gal For the top offs over the next couple days. Res change Monday will have more in it.
66DBEDAD-BE8D-4D42-BACE-E36CA2437B8E.jpeg

I love big plants! Awesome job and awesome roots! Im interested to see what that little 300 watt can do. What nutrients and beneficiary bacteria are you using?

Welcome welcome, come one come all, come see the giant plant too big for her tent! Im wondering the same thing. My last grow was under a 1000w hps in about the same sq footage so the bar is pretty high. This big girl is being fed General Hydroponics micro, gro, bloom, liquid coolbloom, and then calmag and hydroguard from Botanicare.

Well look at you! Thats my nute lineup, well the GH nutes, plus some and I use HPS. What in the world did you downgrade to a 300 watt LED for? I can imagine your smaller tent would be very hard to support a 1000 watt. I have a 4 x 4 x 8 tent and fill it to the top with one plant and a 600 watt hps. Come check out my tent full tent as well if you get a chance. Keep up the great work! May try a rockwool/DWC/top feed(early on) for my next grow. I miss DWC sometimes!

*Also, if you like your hydroguard, check out RECHARGE. I switched from years of hydroguard to the recharge. Havent looked back!

@HunterNitro thanks man! My last grow was about 10 years ago. i traded that ballast reflector and bulb for a few oz. of stinky a couple years after my last shot. Different states and different circumstances has led me to the set up we’re running now. I’ll definitely make my way over there to check it out! :)
I used to use hygrozyme back in the day but the hydroguard is readily available locally so thats why i ended it up with it. Any reason recharge would be better?

Back
Top Bottom