First Grow In 10 Years: DWC Bagseed, Sherbert

Those plants are just crazy. So this leaves you with how many left in there? Just the one straggler who wont finish?

It really is man. We are so stoked to have a bundle of buds that we grew ourselves. Thanks for the kind words and all your help along this winding road.

And a big thank you to everyone else who has offered advice, comments, kind words and even likes. We wouldn't have made it this far without you all!:thanks:
I have the one in the back that I was gonna pull today, but my chronic laziness has kicked in, so it isn't gonna happen, and another that will be a while still. Kinda strange how just the one is so late... they were all late, but this one will probably be more than a month and a half when its all said and done.

Decided to take a sugar leaf sample from one of the tallest buds in the tent and put it under the microscope. Looking to get some opinions on what you all think. Let em fly!
S20200728_0004.jpg

Going to take another leaf sample from a different bud tonight. If there is this much amber visible on other sites, she may be getting the chop tonight. That would put the big girl at 58 days flower or just 2 days into week 8. The info that we have found on this strain has her flowering out at 8-9 weeks so we are very close to that.

Keep in mind you should be checking the inner cola for amber. You cant get a measurement from sugar leaves as they turn weeks earlier than when they are ready. Open up the sugar leaves and get your scope in there and check actual bud.

Keep in mind you should be checking the inner cola for amber. You cant get a measurement from sugar leaves as they turn weeks earlier than when they are ready. Open up the sugar leaves and get your scope in there and check actual bud.

Thank you man, this was the sort of advice we needed :thanks: I had a feeling we were missing something. Gonna try and scope the actual buds tonight. New pistil production has almost completely halted and everything is starting to turn orange including the larf. Weird to see neon green buds under the canopy with little orange hairs on them.

If she isn't finished by the end of the week, i don't think there will be a single white pistil left.

I'd pull it. Ive never heard anything about sugar leaves turning before the rest of the plant, especially weeks before... not saying its not true. Ive never seen it. Theres a large display of amber there, id yank it.

Its kind of telling that your due to harvest.

Thank you to @HunterNitro @Stltoed and @The Phantom :passitleft: It's too bad we can't do a 420mag swap meet. I would love to share a bud/cart with you all!

Talked to misses Hunt on my lunch break today and we are going to scope 7 different buds and leaves on the buds. The scope we got requires 2 hands to focus and her's will make hand number 3 to actually take the photo.

When i said we sampled a sugar leaf i should mention that the leaf was one that had its tip sticking out of the side of the bud. The base of the leaf and stem are buried inside the bud itself. Just a little living bud trimming :laugh: brings a whole new take on "wet trimming".

Planning on comparing trichomes from bud leaves and the buds they came from to see if there is any relationship between the trichomes on the leaves turning before the buds. Hopefully we can learn something here.

The more buds throughout the whole plant you examine, the better idea it will give you. In other words, increase the sampling size to give a more accurate, overall picture.
I don't really put a whole lot of thought behind it. I see a true amber thrichome and the plant gets pulled. I dont wait for 25% amber or anything like that. You can analyze it 50 different ways, it isn't like your window is only a couple hours.

Yeah the scopes are very hard to take a steady photo with, good thing you have an extra set of hands to help. I have to keep mine sitting on the edge of the table to get a good photo.

The thing with checking and pulling based on the sugar leaves is most of the time you trim them off. Check what you will be smoking instead.

@Stltoed I had just bought a microscope so the whole plant got a checking out, too much fun not to. I'm not worried as much about amber as I am with clear. I'll take 25% amber over 25% clear. I did notice that the more exposed to light/heat the faster they turn amber, my sugar leaves had gone amber weeks before the buds even got close since the leaves were getting most of the sun and heat outside.

Yeah the scopes are very hard to take a steady photo with, good thing you have an extra set of hands to help. I have to keep mine sitting on the edge of the table to get a good photo.

The thing with checking and pulling based on the sugar leaves is most of the time you trim them off. Check what you will be smoking instead.

@Stltoed I had just bought a microscope so the whole plant got a checking out, too much fun not to. I'm not worried as much about amber as I am with clear. I'll take 25% amber over 25% clear. I did notice that the more exposed to light/heat the faster they turn amber, my sugar leaves had gone amber weeks before the buds even got close since the leaves were getting most of the sun and heat outside.
It depends on how you like your bud. If you like more amber than great. I dont. He has more than plenty of amber on that leaf to keep amberphiles happy. Ive never seen light exposure change trichomes as it is a systemic change, not a leaf change. Weeks huh? Thats wild.

Yeah about 10-14 days before the buds had any sign of amber. At the time the buds were all clear with very few milky. We are talking 110F with an UV Index of 8-10, so about as extreme as you can get. I know light degrades THC once the plant is chopped, hence everyone drying in the dark. I'm sure it has a degrading effect on a growing plant but since the plant is still alive and able to repair itself it might not be as bad.

Yeah about 10-14 days before the buds had any sign of amber. At the time the buds were all clear with very few milky. We are talking 110F with an UV Index of 8-10, so about as extreme as you can get. I know light degrades THC once the plant is chopped, hence everyone drying in the dark. I'm sure it has a degrading effect on a growing plant but since the plant is still alive and able to repair itself it might not be as bad.
So if Mr Hunt has a fire and the temperatures in his grow room reach 110F he shouldn't read the sugar leaves. Got it. haha

Great info guys thank you!

@Stltoed i definitely thought to myself once we scoped that leaf, "Shi* that is a lot of amber". Not looking for a super sleeper bud here so she will be getting the chop any time now. Looking for a decent middle ground and i think we may have found it.

@The Phantom very interesting idea on whether or not light helps in speeding the oxidation of the trichomes. I know they turn amber when oxygen is introduced into the trichome and converts THC to CBN among others. And we know this happens to already chopped buds when exposed to light as well. My thinking is, if the plant could repair damaged trichomes while still growing, wouldn't it keep them from turning amber in the first place? or at least convert them back, or replace the amber with more clear?

Just thinking aloud here. This last 45 minutes at work has been dragging on.

So if Mr Hunt has a fire and the temperatures in his grow room reach 110F he shouldn't read the sugar leaves. Got it. haha

Or maybe just forgot to turn the fan speed up when the light kicks on :laugh:

Great info guys thank you!

@Stltoed i definitely thought to myself once we scoped that leaf, "Shi* that is a lot of amber". Not looking for a super sleeper bud here so she will be getting the chop any time now. Looking for a decent middle ground and i think we may have found it.

@The Phantom very interesting idea on whether or not light helps in speeding the oxidation of the trichomes. I know they turn amber when oxygen is introduced into the trichome and converts THC to CBN among others. And we know this happens to already chopped buds when exposed to light as well. My thinking is, if the plant could repair damaged trichomes while still growing, wouldn't it keep them from turning amber in the first place? or at least convert them back, or replace the amber with more clear?

Just thinking aloud here. This last 45 minutes at work has been dragging on.
Yeah. Like I was saying, it isn't Black Friday sale. Youve got time

I have not been able to get the thought of a fire out of my head now. Thankfully it is raining buckets here this afternoon.

*Me to the firefighter "Hey, could you check the thermometer on that weird black 'wardrobe' while you're in there and turn the dial up a bit if its over 75*. Oh yeah, there's also a bunch of cats in there as well if you can grab them on your way out"

I kid i kid. the tent would go out the window with all the grow gear FIRST, then the kids, the wife, and maybe 2 of the 3 cats :laugh:

Kidding again. Is today over yet?

Maybe not as far as repairing them but slowing the process. Here's a blurb from Ed Rosenthal's book with the answer,

20.6 Potency and Decomposition
We have said that when buds are picked too late, the potency may decline because of decomposition of the cannabinoids, especially THC. In section 21, Tables 26-29 give measured rates of decomposition of the major cannabinoids due to exposure to light and air. Light rapidly decomposes THC into unknown products (possibly polymers (122,164)). Light also converts CBD to CBS and CBC to CBL. Air (oxygen) slowly converts THC to the less active CBN. Conversion to CBN is hastened by higher temperatures. Degradative processes do not occur as quickly in the living plant as when the cannabinoids are purified or in solution, as is shown by the data in Tables 27-30 in section 21 {Tables on disk only}. Resin glands seem to function well in storing the cannabinoids in dried plant material. However, the rates of decomposition in Tables 27 and 28 are for samples exposed to north light and a maximum of 80F temperatures. Temperature would be higher, and light stronger, under full sunlight.

It goes on into more detail, as well as another section on the degradation when storing in warming temps and light. It's a great book to read, it gets into a few specifics but most of it is broad strokes on anything grow related. I've read it a few times now and I still find things that make me go, "huh, really?" Some of the most beneficial things for your garden to increase production isn't something you buy, its usually the free advice and writings of the OGs who busted their privates for years growing, learning, and teaching.

Back
Top Bottom