First Grow In 10 Years: DWC Bagseed, Sherbert

I have not been able to get the thought of a fire out of my head now. Thankfully it is raining buckets here this afternoon.

*Me to the firefighter "Hey, could you check the thermometer on that weird black 'wardrobe' while you're in there and turn the dial up a bit if its over 75*. Oh yeah, there's also a bunch of cats in there as well if you can grab them on your way out"

I kid i kid. the tent would go out the window with all the grow gear FIRST, then the kids, the wife, and maybe 2 of the 3 cats :laugh:

Kidding again. Is today over yet?
I Gooched it. Now it's stuck in your head. The fire fighters I know are all pot heads. They wouldn't see a thing... and neither would you, because they would nake your goods

Maybe not as far as repairing them but slowing the process. Here's a blurb from Ed Rosenthal's book with the answer,

20.6 Potency and Decomposition
We have said that when buds are picked too late, the potency may decline because of decomposition of the cannabinoids, especially THC. In section 21, Tables 26-29 give measured rates of decomposition of the major cannabinoids due to exposure to light and air. Light rapidly decomposes THC into unknown products (possibly polymers (122,164)). Light also converts CBD to CBS and CBC to CBL. Air (oxygen) slowly converts THC to the less active CBN. Conversion to CBN is hastened by higher temperatures. Degradative processes do not occur as quickly in the living plant as when the cannabinoids are purified or in solution, as is shown by the data in Tables 27-30 in section 21 {Tables on disk only}. Resin glands seem to function well in storing the cannabinoids in dried plant material. However, the rates of decomposition in Tables 27 and 28 are for samples exposed to north light and a maximum of 80F temperatures. Temperature would be higher, and light stronger, under full sunlight.

It goes on into more detail, as well as another section on the degradation when storing in warming temps and light. It's a great book to read, it gets into a few specifics but most of it is broad strokes on anything grow related. I've read it a few times now and I still find things that make me go, "huh, really?" Some of the most beneficial things for your garden to increase production isn't something you buy, its usually the free advice and writings of the OGs who busted their privates for years growing, learning, and teaching.
I like Mr. Rosenthal. I have one of his books. I believe its the Growers Handbook. He has his own strain created by Sensi, one of the truly great breeders. I may grow it someday, but its a regular seed.

I think i like Jorge Cervantes a little better though. He's the only one that seems to teach plant problem diagnoses from a mobil and immobile nutrient point of view. If you havent seen this you should check it out. Heres my JC book.

Well folks the chop was delayed a few days while she ripens a little more. Spent an hour in the tent with the misses checking trichomes with the scope. Unfortunately neither of us have as steady hands as we thought so the pictures aren't perfect by any means. But they did paint a little better picture on what is going on in our tent.

The trichomes on the buds are pretty much all cloudy or clear. i would guess 80% cloudy and the rest clear. The leaves tell a different story. They contain a significant amount of amber and cloudy trichomes. So there may be some merit to leaves turning before the buds. Now we don't have a laser thermometer to check leaf temps or a light meter to see if there is a correlation between heat and light. But results are results. Don't have any pictures from the leaves that were tested. The trichomes from the buds are below.

S20200729_0007.jpg
S20200729_0009.jpg
S20200729_0010.jpg
S20200729_0011.jpg
S20200729_0014.jpg
S20200729_0015.jpg
S20200729_0018.jpg
S20200729_0030.jpg
S20200729_0033.jpg
S20200729_0035.jpg

We may end up chopping this weekend. Unless you all can see something in here that we missed. Thanks again for everyone's help with this.

Glad you checked the buds themselves and can see yourself. Sugar leaves always turn first and if you are harvesting based on sugar leaves then the grower is really missing out on plant potential and THC content. Kinda hard to tell but if you have 80 cloudy and 20 clear then you may be around 2 weeks from "true" ripeness. Its according on when you want to harvest. Me personally, I like total ripeness, the highest THC content the plant can produce, and at least 15% amber. Couch lock is perfectly fine for me, I just smoke less of it if out and about. :laughtwo: ;)

I would say it is never too early or late as long as you have some trichomes that ARE ripe. It really comes down to personal preference from what i'm seeing everywhere. So you are all correct on when to pull :headbanger:

If we had the room we would harvest in stages and get a little bit of everything. Early morning trippy buds, mid day mellow-ness and end of day couch lock. But alas we do not have the room for that. So we're shooting for middle of the road. Not too trippy and and not too stony.

In a perfect world, we would have multiple tents in a dedicated room for this. Probably 2 flower tents, one large veg tent and 2 smaller tents for clones and drying. We'd be living in a friendlier state as well so we wouldn't need to worry about the smell as much either. Which is really turning into an issue for this boombalatty of a plant. She STINKS to high heavens. the smell hasn't reached the road yet but it has made it to the driveway. And the vent is at least 100ft away on the other side of the house o_O

Here's a little off topic ramble that some may or may not find amusing. So here goes. :passitleft:

One of our cats (the one in my avatar to be exact) has been stealing leaves. Every single evening when we go to do our checks and "spin the bin" as i call it, there is Oscar, impatiently waiting for a chance to steal some fan leaves. Rolling around on his back in front of the tent. He eats them stem and all. Either right off the plant if i leave the room with the tent open, or he waits for me to pluck a few uglies off and give them to him on the side to keep him out of our way. Either way, he LOVES fan leaves. We don't give him any sugar leaves for fear of getting our pet high. But knowing him, i wouldn't be surprised if he enjoyed it. For all i know, he's stolen a few without us knowing. He is also one of those cats who throws up on the carpet/rug/floor every chance he gets. He eats until he literally pops. The guy has a weak constitution. And since we started our daily fan leaf regimen with him, he has barely thrown anything up in almost 2 weeks. He's also getting noticeably fatter. Probably from being able to keep his food down more often now. We make jokes about him being the card carrier in the family that we are growing for :laugh:

Once he gets his fix, he wanders off for a 12 hour nap not to be seen again until breakfast the next morning.

Just an odd daily occurrence I've been meaning to share with you all. Funny to see a cat more eager to get in there than we are :blunt:

That's ma boy!

I would say it is never too early or late as long as you have some trichomes that ARE ripe. It really comes down to personal preference from what i'm seeing everywhere. So you are all correct on when to pull :headbanger:

If we had the room we would harvest in stages and get a little bit of everything. Early morning trippy buds, mid day mellow-ness and end of day couch lock. But alas we do not have the room for that. So we're shooting for middle of the road. Not too trippy and and not too stony.

In a perfect world, we would have multiple tents in a dedicated room for this. Probably 2 flower tents, one large veg tent and 2 smaller tents for clones and drying. We'd be living in a friendlier state as well so we wouldn't need to worry about the smell as much either. Which is really turning into an issue for this boombalatty of a plant. She STINKS to high heavens. the smell hasn't reached the road yet but it has made it to the driveway. And the vent is at least 100ft away on the other side of the house o_O
Youre absolutely right, different people want different things. As I said, im not into sleep during a good buzz.

Here's a little off topic ramble that some may or may not find amusing. So here goes. :passitleft:

One of our cats (the one in my avatar to be exact) has been stealing leaves. Every single evening when we go to do our checks and "spin the bin" as i call it, there is Oscar, impatiently waiting for a chance to steal some fan leaves. Rolling around on his back in front of the tent. He eats them stem and all. Either right off the plant if i leave the room with the tent open, or he waits for me to pluck a few uglies off and give them to him on the side to keep him out of our way. Either way, he LOVES fan leaves. We don't give him any sugar leaves for fear of getting our pet high. But knowing him, i wouldn't be surprised if he enjoyed it. For all i know, he's stolen a few without us knowing. He is also one of those cats who throws up on the carpet/rug/floor every chance he gets. He eats until he literally pops. The guy has a weak constitution. And since we started our daily fan leaf regimen with him, he has barely thrown anything up in almost 2 weeks. He's also getting noticeably fatter. Probably from being able to keep his food down more often now. We make jokes about him being the card carrier in the family that we are growing for :laugh:

Once he gets his fix, he wanders off for a 12 hour nap not to be seen again until breakfast the next morning.

Just an odd daily occurrence I've been meaning to share with you all. Funny to see a cat more eager to get in there than we are :blunt:

That's ma boy!
I'm a dog guy. I have 4. They all love a leaf once and a while. You don't need to worry about poisoning your pets with THC since it hasnt been activated yet. Pets need greens to stay healthy.

Youre absolutely right, different people want different things. As I said, im not into sleep during a good buzz.

Don't blame you there at all man. We have a toddler running around the house now so random mid day naps are out of the picture. No matter how stoned we are lol.

I'm a dog guy. I have 4. They all love a leaf once and a while. You don't need to worry about poisoning your pets with THC since it hasnt been activated yet. Pets need greens to stay healthy.

That's a cute lookin' pup right there! :thumb: We never set off to be those "cat people" but through some fostering mishaps, here we are with 3 of these little devil worshipers. We aren't so much worried about poisoning him, just don't want him getting "too stoned" getting into those frosty sugar leaves. All 3 of them eat leaves off every house plant that enters our home. and usually promptly throw them up within minutes. Cannabis leaves seem to be the only leaves they can keep down. So they must be good! :D

Tonight we found what looks like the beginnings of some fox tailing on one bud. Its not close to the light compared to others.

we also did some more scoping and things appear to be mostly cloudy. We are probably going to chop her down over the weekend and get the party started. The smell is absolutely out of control at this point and starting to stink up the neighbors yard. Thankfully our neighbors are great and probably wouldn’t care but there’s no sense taking any risks.
First picture is the foxtailing and the rest are just various but shots.
6448AAF6-B511-4858-8AB5-547B8E8D77AE.jpeg
3C821CD1-7054-4B98-9EAB-449F0D1AA25C.jpeg
567F8070-56C4-4008-98FE-2B357400EAC0.jpeg
D5866130-8D12-4CE8-A618-D7CEB1DBF297.jpeg
C4245981-EF09-4EA1-96DE-C7B5024511E1.jpeg
1D9B78A5-1968-48E4-A16D-8D01347C4521.jpeg
5EFB9769-8616-4C14-B24C-4917412ADF66.jpeg
DCA459B6-85E0-465A-AE68-2C287D5DC311.jpeg

We do have a carbon filter, and its rated for a larger space than our tent, but it just doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

we had a cheaper filter on there at first and it wasn't really working. So we got a new phat filter and it helped a little. But at this point the stink is winning. I’ve been giving her a large amount of sweetener these last few weeks so maybe that is aiding to it. Smells like a creamy sweet berry with a skunky musk.

The big push for me to call it is the heat today and through the weekend, 111 today, 113 tomorrow, and 110 Saturday. I'm not even the hottest part of the state too!
Are you in Nevada?

Back
Top Bottom