First Time Grow! by Lebowskii

my ideas on harvesting

I do like the Cardboard box method because I find that the bigger the area the less sent your plants will have and less taste.If you are putting them some where warm I would not use fan because this intends to dry the weed to fast and hardly any curring will take place this will cause a hay like smell, same with big rooms.
What I did is got the biggest cardboard(good because it will transfer moisture and asobe it as well) box i could find which is 3 feet high 4 feet long and 2 feet wide. Then I got twine and every foot in hight I made rows of lines to hang the plants on and at each end of the box I put a 1 inch hole .One at top of one end and at bottom at the other. I put them in a cool place because it will bring out the colors in your plants .Some strains(colorful ones) this works really good. Also it will slow drying process so your plants will cure. Like tobacco Weed shouldn't be dried it should be cured.
I also put a fan in the room to increase air flow and have window in room also. Just open box once or twice a day and check for mold and just gently shake the lines to make movement then close ER back up.
Most people get confused when drying and that is why because they think it has to dry and then cure ,but it is wrong is has to cure while drying that way you don't have to let it sit in a jar for 2 weeks after you dry it to get back some of it's sent and taste but i put it in jars anyways for storage.
I did this with a cooler but I found that that the plastic sweat-ed to much and i have seen fungus form on it. Good or bad I never used that method again.
Believe it or not ,harvesting is very critical and can mean the difference between not to bad dope or excellent dope.
my last harvest I tried them racks you get that are round and mesh with multiple levels( you can get this at walmart ,I think it is called a cloths draper .I draped a Lenin sheet over it and hung it in my closet in a cool room .this seem to work OK but i still like the box the best. They seem to come out smelling more then what they did going in.
You will notice the diffence in taste

Hey guys, thought Id sneak on here and give you a quick update.
Im built an enclosure! I took 1.5 inch pvc piping and a few odds and ends and a bunch of mix and matched green paint (BUT IT WAS FREEEEEE :woohoo: ). Ill snap some pics of it today and will have them posted hopefully in the next day or two. Weekends are very busy times for me.

Kookie still looks like death. all her leaves are hanging there, and I decided it was time to take all the brittle dried up leaves off of the plants because there is no way they could be helping anything now.

Tina doesnt even look like she was transplanted and has grown 6 inches in 3 days. not worried about her anymore.

Gertrude had the most dried up leaves that I took off and she is looking relatively shabby as well.

Wow zigzag! I was under the impression you dried THEN cured in jars... I was prepared to let it sit in a jar for a month but I think I like the sounds of your method as well. How cool should the area it sits in be? It will be indoors most likely in an air conditioned home. And i just want to clerify, NO air circulation is needed inside of the box? would it be beneficial to put the small 6 inch fan I bought from walmart in the box facing out or outside the box blowing gently in?

I think Im going to try 2 different plants 2 different methods to see how I like it. My hands are going to be hurting...:thumb:

Thanks for the help guys and thanks for stoppin in, more pictures on their way! :ganjamon:

OMG! most importantly. Im planning on buying 10 Big Bud seeds monday. Big Bud just because A) its cheap, about 30 bucks for 10 seeds, B) Its a giant producer C) its nothing too crazy id hate myself for messing up, and it will give me some more experiance with topping. Plan on germing them A.S.A.P. to get them in this grow season =]
~L~

Tell you what give me an address of some place and i will send you seeds of a white grizzly and big bud mix and they are very very easy to grow.It is my own cross and they can grow in or out. White grizzly is strictly out door but with big bud mixed in you can grow them indoors just as well.Very big producer you seen the pictures(In plant of the month contest for May). They are low in oder sweet fruity pine smell and same for taste but very light but very smooth.the THC is a little low around 8-10% but it is a good relaxer not a party pot but like an After dinner pot or before dinner or both which is the way I go. Very good to figure out growing techniques and starting out they will take allot of abuse from temps to Ph to feeding they are very forgiving.
For Harvesting i would put them in the basement . I harvested mine at 20-25c and watched humidity I keep my room around 45-50 no higher or lower fungus starts to grow around 55-60 an the lower you go beyond 45 the less effective the weed will be ,I think the dry heat takes a toll on THC .
I do hang them in my grow room with lights off for 3 days with carbon filter because that is when they smell the most I think. after that they go in my box WITH NO FANS just a fan in the conner of the room to make air movement with A crack in the window for fresh air.I point the fan so it moves air in a circle with the harvest box on the other side of room. Like I said I have used fans and it was way to fast.It should take a least 2 weeks to dry ,mine it was 3 weeks and I know longer it takes the better it is all around as long as there is no mold and even with out regulating the humidity I had no issues.
PS. I have tried a cheap computer fan in the box just laying on bottom of with air flowing down ward which I found was pretty good but it burnt out after a while so i just scraped it but it helps a little with dry time with out a damaging effect. you want air movement but very slow escaping the box . The moisture coming from you plant will make enough air movement if you use 1 inch hole on both ends one high and one low this with the humidity will make a small circulation happing inside the box and don't believe me do it and put your hand close you will be surprised . This method was told to me by an old school grower from way back.OH so you are not mistaking it is corrugated cardboard the stuff that looks like it has ribs in it. what this will do is trap moister there and if mold starts it will be in side them ribs which I have seen but it never got to my plants and I would just change box out for next harvest.
But there are many methods I have done most over the years growing non stop (mostly out doors)sense i was 17 and I am 40 now so there was allot of testing .I also used an ionized he-pa filter to keep smell down and it worked on the most potent smelling buds so much that i had parties which no one was aware that i was growing pot in the same place in full production (within the last year).I just keep the air purifier in the same room i was drying. I use a carbon filter in my grow room and I have 2 ionizer he-pa filters one for my drying and just a cheapy in my living room and I am an incense burner so I am fully covered.
I hope this is help full and I hope you get some good dank .The G-13 looks very promising. My moms are at at 32 inches now but I have issues with Ph can't get enough rain water to do a full grow and the tap water bounces all around the Ph chart from 6 to 8 .They use direct treated water from a lake and I used a meter and solution test.

Just a quick observation. I never think its a good idea to jar your buds before drying. If you did do this I would think you would have to open the jars every half hour 24 hours a day until they where dry and way too easy to ruin your hard worked for harvest. Also you need to have circulating air. You just don't want fans blowing directly on your buds because they will dry way too fast. Hang the buds let them get dry enough that the stems snap when bent and jar them at that point. You can put them in jars a little sooner than the snap point, just make sure you open those jars every couple hours or so. I, like, LotzOfTrycs, like to manicure immediately after I take the plant down. I have waited 12 hour before cause I ran out of time to finish and it really does take 10 times the amount of time to manicure when those leaves dry over the buds. I know some people do it that way but not me, ever again...

Sounds like you plants are making a comeback, nice job...

Thanks for stopping in sonzor and zigzag :)
Im gunna get some mason jars just for storage after drying and curing! No way I could stay medicated enough to go through all these plants alone...

I HAVE PICTURES!!! So first off, these three are of my enclosure. The before, the built and painted frame, and then what it looks like now. I painted it green :)smokin:) mainly for concealment. mainly. I have to get some more green mesh to cover up the top, but the new grow area will give me 8 feet total to work with. If my plants get that tall, im !@#$ed.

Before8.JPG

Built_and_painted.JPG

NEW_enclosure_.JPG

:grinjoint: So that was my project for the weekend. Im happy with how it turned out. Built it using almost nothing but random nick nacks I had laying around. 1.5 inch pvc piping, 4 cans of different shades of green paint even though the cans said it was all the same shade... Ended up spending about 10 bucks total on the cross pieces to connect them all together.

Now for the babies. Here is the big barrel rockin the morning sun. They just started to flower but something tells me I might get a gram or two off of them. something....;)
Big_Barrel_starting_to_flower_.JPG

Here is Gianna (formally known as gurtrude. I strongly believe she is having a hard time recovering because she doesnt like her name...) and the one below that is a Lady bug chilling on her (which i took as a good sign!) Lady bugs medicate too you know... :grinjoint:

she is recovering, but a bunch of her leaves had to be taken off, so she is stupid stunted right now. Also cut the top of her off because her top 1/4 of an inch was crispy and dead. I hope to get anything from her. still worried about her surviving...

Gurtrude_aka_Gianna_looking_ok.JPG

Ladybug_on_Gianna_because_they_medicate_too.JPG

Tina is rocking it. She is still in veg so she didnt even hesitate from the transplant. Some of her leaves are yellowing, but yesterday was 90 degrees plus and I didnt get a chance to water yesterday, so they were pretty dry this morning. think thats what its from. Kookie had some yellowing too, but she might be something else... what do you think? (first one tina, second one Kookie ((who is actually standing up on her own now!! ))))))

Tina_Happy.JPG

Kookie_Yellowing.JPG

Didnt want to chop those off yet cuz they might still have some nutritional value to the plant even if the leaves are gunna dry out and fall off...

Finally. what you've all be waiting for... my baby Kandy! I got a shot of her trunk and one of her buds for you guys. Picture speaks for itself.

Kandy_s_Trunk.JPG

Kandy_Bud.JPG

Hope you enjoyed :roorrip:

:bravo: I like the new setup you got going! You should have plenty of space now.

Here is Gianna (formally known as gurtrude. I strongly believe she is having a hard time recovering because she doesnt like her name...)
:rofl::rofl::rofl: Isn't gurtrude a guys name anyways? You can't give them any reason to be male!

Buds are looking nice and frosty, keep it up bruda :ganjamon::ganjamon:

Thanks for stopping in SG, N.W.Green, sonzor, LotsofTrycs, Langa, and Reefa ;)

Kandy smells AMAZING. Cant help but smile every time I approach her. She has a very potent distinctive smell... very... "danky" i guess you could say. Her buds are filling out nicely :)

Reefa, Ill be honest... im not really sure where I got the name gertrude (;) ) but it definately didnt feel right the whole time I was calling her that...

The new enclosure rocks. The babies are finally starting to show less signs of stress. Went out today to give them a good soaking and I only had to pull off about 4 leaves this time. Tina has already caught up to the barrel on steroids. She is loving her own barrel and own space to veg.

Will take some more pictures tomorrow! Kandy's buds are filling in nicely :)
Cheers! :cool:

If your leafs are lower on your plant and if you see that they are not getting any light.If they are getting light then i My self would leave them because they would be giving back to the plant. If you are sea of green then they are probably not getting to much light on the lower leafs,then i would trim them so the plant can use that energy up top,but if they are getting good light don't because they would be supplying energy.
I don't do the 1/3 I just trim the ones that don't get light very well. But either way is good .

Sorry Lebowskii I know this is your post but i had to put in my 2 cents lol:)
Oh my male g-13 is in it's own room now and the female is all by her self but she is 50" high now . This Saturday I will put in 4 more females in 2 are my g-13's and 2 will be fucking incredibale that I traded my g-13s foir and i will cross them with the pollen from my male? g-13 so I am on my way again.
I believe my male is actually a female Hermie because it has flowers with hairs on the bottom and balls on the top. It will interesting how this will turn out. But the good thing is that what ever I breed with it will be all female .Sorry couldn't send but I will in the future maybe some of my new cross .

Thanks for stopping in again my loyal followers!

Sorry I havent updated in a few... weeks... but not a whole lot happened...
Im definately down to try the new cross zigzag :) Hopefully with the cloning technique you were speaking of Ill be able to let you try some of my very own personal strand one day! :)

So with some help of my P.I.C. (partner in crime ;) ) I was able to get my enclosure put up. Standing at 8 feet tall, and working with 6 and a half yards of that green mesh was overwhelming to do by myself.

Enclosure_Before.JPG

Green_Mesh.JPG

Enclosure_After.JPG

After about 4 hours of consecutive "work", we ended up with a nice little enclosure that has great ventilation, gets plenty of sun, and will support the plants rapid growth habit up to 8 feet.

Now for a few of the babies. Since I happened to be on the roof of the adjacent shed to be able to die down the green mesh and whatnot, I decided to snap a family pic while I was up there...

Plants_from_Roof.JPG

And since you couldnt see katie very well and as she is the biggest at the moment, thought I would snap a pic of almost just her. Enjoy ;)

Katie_Start_of_week_9.JPG

hope you guys enjoyed, will be sure to have another update or two before harvesting Kandy :) :rollit:

I'm digging the new setup, looks like you have unlimited vertical space now. The babes are looking sexy keep it up main :cheer:

Back
Top Bottom