First Time Grower, 20 Plants!

i hear you on the cost im 1500 into my closet grow and when im done with that one im setting up two tents one for veg and one for flower and im going to have to put another 3500 in to those to get them dialed in

Plants are looking good - keep it up. I agree w/Butcher - take the kinks out of your ducting. If its working that way then your fan or your AC or both is working waaaaaay overtime. I sympathize with the costs, but I bet you straightening out those ducts would save you $20/mo in greater A/C - Fan efficiency (that's a free bulb every grow) and be quieter and save you wear and tear on your hardware.

If I was on a boat an hour east of here it would be 4:20 right now.

I didn't mean to sound harsh. You guys have a good thing going. Don't let it stress you. Hang in there, and have fun. Keep up the good work.

I love you guys. The drama..LOL..J/K.. your friends and the one thing you have to keep in mind this whole time is eventually that smoke money or whatever your trying to get out of this grow will be gone eventually, but your friend wont be unless you make it that way. I know you have it patched up. I've just seen to many people lose friends ove r situations like you boith are in. not tryin to "Dr.Phil" the 2 of you. Just want your harvest to be bountiful. Best of lusk my friens. :ganjamon:

I brought home some new little noobs today. 3 Larry OG clones. They will be a part of my second grow. From what I'm told, this strain is in demand and pretty popular where you can get it. However, that's only what others have told me, I don't know for sure. Until my current group of clones is ready to go in the dirt, these will get some extra veg time.

The photo shows a quarter on the table for size comparison.

new_noobs_larry_og.JPG

Day 8 of flowering. Things are looking good, the plants have all gotten taller in the past week. Compare these and last week's photos for their height relative to the carbon filter in the middle of the room.

I also got the air ducting straightened out some. It looks better now.
The clones we cut 14 days ago are finally starting to show some roots, about 1/4 of them have at least a few roots showing.

The CO2 is running, and the plants are drinking water like crazy. I'm giving them about 1 to 1-1/2 quarts of PH'd RO water every 2 days now. Yesterday they got their bloom nutes in 1 quart of water at 100% strength.

Every time I go to water it gets more and more difficult. I have a small plastic funnel on the end of a 45 degree angle and a 4 foot long 1/2" PVC pipe from Home Depot to get the water in to the plants. Forget walking between them, there's no room!

I always handle the watering, so I've gotten good at reaching the pipe in there and "feeling" where the bucket, dirt, and plant stem is, as for about 1/2 the plants it's hard to see them unless you get down on the floor.

As usual, all photos are also in my gallery.

Granddaddies day 8 flowering
granddaddy_day_8_flower.JPG

Bubbas day 8 flowering
bubba_day_8_flower.JPG

Granddaddies
grandaddies_day_8_flower.JPG

Bubbas
bubbas_day_8_flower.JPG

Improved air ducting
air_ducts_fixed.JPG

Nice garden mates!! For the cooling of the hood. You can get a duct fitting at homedepot that would mount up a lil better. That's what a 4 inch duct. So you could get a reducer that's goes from a 4inch to a 6. Then tap a couple holes on the six inch side and maybe mount it so that it would stay up. Just an idea. The reducers are like 10 bucks. Hope my description is clear..kinda medicated at the moment.

Day 15 of flowering.

So far so good, the plants are getting their buds, and the buds are slowly getting BIGGER! Let's see, 2 weeks of budding is done, so another 7-8 weeks until they are ready, more or less!

K moved some plants around in the room, so the Bubbas, Purples, and Granddaddys are a little more mixed now. The Granddaddys are the shortest plants and their leaves are a lighter color.

room1_day_15_flower.JPG

room2_day_15_flower.JPG

Grandaddy buds
gdy_buds_day_15.JPG

Bubba Kush buds
bubba_buds_day_15.JPG

Day 23 flowering:

No real need for photos today, everything is about the same.

But one of the GDY plants started getting its sparklies! The Trichomes. I was looking at them the other day and saw the shiny dots and wondered what it was, surely 3 weeks into flowering was too early for trichomes to start coming in. But K said no, they are beginning. That's good!

And in the last few days, I'm starting to see sparkly dots on some of the other plants too!

I haven't seen much change in height on any of the plants in the last week or so. If they want to stay this height that is fine with me, as long as they bring me lots of high quality bud weight!

Been a while since the last update. Now at Day 44 of flowering.

K and his friend tried a quick dry and test smoke of a Granddaddy Purple bud, they said it was pretty darn good except for being kind of harsh from not being dried properly yet.

He thinks the GDP is getting near harvest time. I don't know, they are only 44 days in flower, and from what I've read, GDP needs about 60 days in flower. We'll get a microscope soon and start watching the trichomes.

We had some spider mites getting into things, K came up with a concoction of water, vinegar, isopropyl alcohol, baking soda, and lemon juice to kill them, which it seems to do. I worry if it'll hurt the plants.

Now that the plants are getting further along in flowering, I'm seeing changes I'm not used to seeing. More and more leaves turning yellow, shriveling up, and dying, especially on the GDP. The Bubba Kush and Purple Kush need more flowering time yet, but they have yellow leaves also, just not as many.

With the GDP, I can look down at the top of the plant and see the pot and dirt through all the shriveled up leaves, that was impossible 2 weeks ago.

I'll get some new photos up soon, I'd like to hear some thoughts and opinions on the changes the leaves go through later in flowering.

Here's some new photos Day 45.

First 2 are of the Granddaddy Purples, the leaves are getting yellow and shriveled up. I'm not sure if this is part of the plant maturing or not, but it looks odd to me. The HPS lights washed out the color, everything that does not look absolutely green is now yellow or worse.

GDP18.JPG

GDP24.JPG

These next 2 are of the Bubba Kushes / Purple Kushes. The leaves are more green and less shriveled up, but some of the plants have it and I expect to see it change more in the next week or 2.

Bubba16.JPG

Bubba22.JPG

Does this look normal? I'm not sure.

When the GDP leaves started looking bad, I was concerned the bloom nutes (FF Tiger Bloom and Big Bloom), were too strong, so I backed them down a bit, and even went nute-free for a week. I guess it wasn't an over nuting problem.

Okay, we can do that. But does this look normal with the shriveled up leaves? Is this how your plants looked towards the end?

It is normal for the leaves to lose the green and tun yellow. It looks like you have something else going on there. Hard to say for sure since the lights are washing out the color. It looks almost like a couple of plants were burned by the light? Generally a leaf will gradually turn yellow over a couple of days. It usually starts at the leaf tips and works back to the stem. I really can't tell much without seeing them in color.

Burning from the light is possible. Our biggest Bubba sat directly under the 1000 HPS (about 2 feet of space between the plant and light) for about 2 weeks straight before we moved it off to one side, and the top leaves were bleached out yellow pretty well by then.

Most of the yellow leaves did start turning yellow gradually, and there was no coming back from that for those leaves.

We are doing some trimming of dead leaves now, we've already got a grocery store plastic bag half full.

Lots of plants have their bud hairs half or more in the red/brown color, we need to get our magnifier and start watching trichomes.

I got a 30X magnifier, and have been figuring out how to use it. It's really touchy! I've looked at trichomes on the Bubbas and Granddaddys, and for the most part they are all clear yet. Some of the Granddaddys have some trichomes that are turning color, but it's only on a couple plants and only here and there, not enough to be consistent yet.

Granddaddys are now on plain RO water only, no more nutes. Bubbas got nutes this week, and will probably be water only also from here on out!

I wasn't sure 30X would be enough to see things closely enough, but it is. I can see the "ball and stick" trichomes very well!

The dead leaves came from K's magical mite killing concoction. He found out AFTER spraying the plants that vinegar kills them, and the baking soda was not needed either. So now it'll be just water, isopropyl alcohol (mixed 50/50 with the water), and lemon juice.

He also got some solid odor stick thing called "Hot Shot" that is supposed to kill all sorts of pests, and after leaving it in the room for a few days, attached to the oscillating fan for forced circulation of the fumes, he said that every bug we had was dead, we'll have to wait and see if any come back.

i was going to say, the vinegar and baking soda will cancel each other out. as long as you balance it should be ok, but like you said. they aren't needed. you may want to try adding 1ml of 30% peroxide and 1ml of yellow listerine to your spray. it's more of a repellant, but the little bastards hate the stuff.

keep up the good work my man.

Back
Top Bottom