Four Fine Fall Phillies

Less is more every great grower I’ve ran into has said . My chem dawg kept it real simple and had best auto smoke in three from feeding very little . Alway better to stay under I was told then over ✊
Everyone has their own style... there really is no wrong way to grow this plant as long as it works for you. I have always operated under the philosophy that if you aren't at least burning the tips, you aren't trying hard enough. This living on the edge style works for me, whereas for some it would leave little ash piles where the plants once existed. Chacun à son goût!

Everyone has their own style... there really is no wrong way to grow this plant as long as it works for you. I have always operated under the philosophy that if you aren't at least burning the tips, you aren't trying hard enough. This living on the edge style works for me, whereas for some it would leave little ash piles where the plants once existed. Chacun à son goût!
I can agree to that :passitleft:

This grow has been very exciting for me. My successful grows have been in bought supersoil and I haven't really had a chance to learn to identify and treat problems that come up.
There's a lot of "less is more talk" when it comes to % nutes and I got to experience the truth of that statement which at this time seems to be "maybe sometimes".
I see today two of four seem perfectly happy and a good green color. If I increase the Bio Grow they may get too much N. That's another question. These two are slower growing by a little. Maybe they do want more. I'll try a last veg feeding with an increase to see what happens. I'm not going to want to spare the food now in flower.
Two others have been growing with less than optimal Nitrogen. These two are coming around in two waterings at 100% of the recommended dose verses 50%. The two at 50% are quite dark green and I think they might be happy where they are.
This challenge is fun. I see hydro folks having great success with minimal nutes. It's not working for me in soil today. What you said. Chacun à son goût!

Reading through all the comments about CalMag with RO I may be underfeeding. Ive been doing about 50-60% recommended strength with all my nutes, but maybe I should bump up the CalMag some more. I think we have recovered from the light stress, but 3/4 of the girls are still a lighter green towards the center/vein of fan leaves

This grow has been very exciting for me. My successful grows have been in bought supersoil and I haven't really had a chance to learn to identify and treat problems that come up.
There's a lot of "less is more talk" when it comes to % nutes and I got to experience the truth of that statement which at this time seems to be "maybe sometimes".
I see today two of four seem perfectly happy and a good green color. If I increase the Bio Grow they may get too much N. That's another question. These two are slower growing by a little. Maybe they do want more. I'll try a last veg feeding with an increase to see what happens. I'm not going to want to spare the food now in flower.
Two others have been growing with less than optimal Nitrogen. These two are coming around in two waterings at 100% of the recommended dose verses 50%. The two at 50% are quite dark green and I think they might be happy where they are.
This challenge is fun. I see hydro folks having great success with minimal nutes. It's not working for me in soil today. What you said. Chacun à son goût!
I just learned from your experience in soil that the nutrients intake of 100% verses 25% you could get away with in hydro. But I see you had to make a choice between doing the same nutrients for the other . You can already read your girls , great job with them . Oh I saved $334 on that 25% nutrient grow and still had a quality taste and buzz , I think I needed more % nutrients for the bigger buds .

I just learned from your experience in soil that the nutrients intake of 100% verses 25% you could get away with in hydro. But I see you had to make a choice between doing the same nutrients for the other . You can already read your girls , great job with them . Oh I saved $334 on that 25% nutrient grow and still had a quality taste and buzz , I think I needed more % nutrients for the bigger buds .
Yes. Well I'm fairly new at this and didn't understand they are different. I don't think the experienced folk watching me feed light understood either. I was so glad to see you do so well I tried the same regimen. Whoops!
This grow I was hoping to improve my skills and it is happening. I'm ready for a smooth flower period. I hope.

Yes. Well I'm fairly new at this and didn't understand they are different. I don't think the experienced folk watching me feed light understood either. I was so glad to see you do so well I tried the same regimen. Whoops!
This grow I was hoping to improve my skills and it is happening. I'm ready for a smooth flower period. I hope.
I believe in 420 we sharpen our skills for this daily , look at all we have backing us !

Reading through all the comments about CalMag with RO I may be underfeeding. Ive been doing about 50-60% recommended strength with all my nutes, but maybe I should bump up the CalMag some more. I think we have recovered from the light stress, but 3/4 of the girls are still a lighter green towards the center/vein of fan leaves
Ya I just looked and you might improve them. Looks like mag def from here. I gave the strawberry cough a big shot (100%)and she responded over night.

That's a ton of money!

Hi all. I have an interesting phenomena happening. My tent goes below ambient temperature of the cellar at lights out. I reset the thermometer to capture the swing through the day and have 64 F for low and mid 80's for high. I don't think I have a big problem but I have to understand what the heck is making it happen.
My first guess is evaporative cooling, like us sweating to cool. Any evap will cool. So today I reset the thermometer and have my extraction fan running for the whole lights out time starting 2 hours after light go out. I had it cycle 15 minutes every half hour
The thermometer in the main area stays at 70 F and the air I take for the tent is warmer taken from above the oil fired furnace. A few degrees matter. I'll let you know how it works out. Anyone have experience like this?

It happens... I got surprised by my LED lights after a couple of waterings without calmag... guess what is happening on two of my plants? I am giving calmag with the watering today.
I have essentially doubled the gypsum and oyster shell flour that I use in my soil recipe as well as bumped up my Mg with my Spydrx Plus LED. Powerful LEDs definitely put an increased demand on the plant for both from what I can tell.

If you want bigger buds, you need more roots. I grow in my soil, don't use nutes at all, but my focus is on growing roots in veg. If you want bigger yields, you need bigger pots and LOT of roots.

Hi all. I have an interesting phenomena happening. My tent goes below ambient temperature of the cellar at lights out. I reset the thermometer to capture the swing through the day and have 64 F for low and mid 80's for high. I don't think I have a big problem but I have to understand what the heck is making it happen.
My first guess is evaporative cooling, like us sweating to cool. Any evap will cool. So today I reset the thermometer and have my extraction fan running for the whole lights out time starting 2 hours after light go out. I had it cycle 15 minutes every half hour
The thermometer in the main area stays at 70 F and the air I take for the tent is warmer taken from above the oil fired furnace. A few degrees matter. I'll let you know how it works out. Anyone have experience like this?
Thats a bit of temp swing but honestly Otter mid 60s isn't anything to worry about brother. For 2 months I was having my night time temps dropping down into the high 50s and low 60s in my basement. It takes several hours to cool root zones down (longer in bigger pots) so I wouldn't even really worry about anything unless it gets 5+ degrees cooler. The plant will handle far more than you think brother.

Thats a bit of temp swing but honestly Otter mid 60s isn't anything to worry about brother. For 2 months I was having my night time temps dropping down into the high 50s and low 60s in my basement. It takes several hours to cool root zones down (longer in bigger pots) so I wouldn't even really worry about anything unless it gets 5+ degrees cooler. The plant will handle far more than you think brother.
I think you're right in that there's no big problem. My curios mind just can't let it get the best of me...yet. If I have 70 ambient and I think I can get a few free degrees I have to try. The good news is they are doing fine and will go colorful on one or two I think. The real good news is there's only a handful of weeks of real cold left.

I have essentially doubled the gypsum and oyster shell flour that I use in my soil recipe as well as bumped up my Mg with my Spydrx Plus LED. Powerful LEDs definitely put an increased demand on the plant for both from what I can tell.
With those lights and rain water there's a huge call for Calcium. My lights are strong, not as strong as the finest made today, but they still cause C def. If I was a plant I'd uproot and make a bee line to your place.:p

I usually approach the mailbox with caution. It's the place bills come from. Once again today retrieving it I got a surprise. An envelope with 5 Lemon OG Candy seeds from Philosopher seeds and 1 Critical Orange Punch seed from Dutch Passion. The envelope had no written communication in it but is the same one Cannapot used to send me 5 other Lemon OG Candy's in. I want to check the mail twice a day now. @Cannapot , Dutch Passion, Philosopher, I'm psyched to have the opportunity to grow and journal these babies. Did I mention @420magazine? Thanks for the place to learn and share.

I think I read that a 10º swing from day to nighttime temps are ideal, and 64º is a good bottom. Lower than that and the plant begins to slow its growth and nutrient uptake. Nocaliwood posted this link for me a while back that states:
"once the air cools to below 18-20ºC the plant’s metabolism will slow down gradually and hinder or halt development. "
Great article! Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom