GodSpeed's 2L Hempy SOG

Hey, GS! Just checking in. Every response I was going to make has been neatly covered by someone else, but I just wanted to say that I'm looking forward to seeing that fan controller, as I just yesterday switched from an a/c unit with thermostat, to a duct fan, because it's finally getting cold enough outside. I was looking to buy a speed-controller, but your idea could be way better!

I am interested in the fan controller also. I have been thinking of doing this myself.

Fan speed controller

Hey guys after looking online i decided to buy a fan speed controller that can vary the speed of my inlet/outlet rvk's by the temperature of the climate, there are lots and lots to choose from and prices go from £79.00 to £399.00. After reading review i noticed that the cheaper controllers running 6" fans when not at below 20% or above 80% power will make the fans hummmmmm... Anoying! so you have 60% of the speed (probably were the fan will always be) makes a humming noise even your neighbours can hear, Stealth..Well the cheapest SILENT controller (variac based) is around the £100 and this doesnt have a thermostat, ones that do are around £300 so i dicided to make my own.

Original plan was a simple 1 fan controller, using a fan controll dimmer switch it enabled me to vary the speed of my fan giving me controll of my enviroment, the fan will runn at this speed intill the temperature in my enviroment hit the max temp i set, the thermostat would kick in and runn the fan at max speed intill temps dropped below were it was set. Costing around £35.00, i wanted this to last me and runn multiple fans for future use so iv spent a bit more money and will be building a 4 way it means you dont have to unscrew the thing if you want to add more fans or move to another grow room.

Original plan very simple and efective.
thermostat_to_overide_a_speed_controller.gif

As im from the uk and use 3 pin sockets im hoping it wont be to hard to wire this up in the US.

To be continued..

Variac 2 Fan speed Controller

///WARNING ELECTRICITY KILLS\\\

SERIOUS GUYS IF YOUR GOING TO MAKE ONE OF THESE PLEASE BE CARFULL A SHOCK FROM ONE OF THESE CAN KILL!!

Technical Difficulty
  • 4 /10

I decided to make a 2 fan controller for inlet/outlet, if i was to make one box for 2 rooms (4 fan's) id need 2 thermostats and that’s when wiring gets complicated. If you wanted to run 4 fans in one room then simply get a larger amp variable transformer and run 2 fans of each.

The Plan
3946.JPG

Note: Check thermostat manual for wiring diagram as diffrent makes and models can vary.

Parts used and cost

Weatherbox 210mm wide - 150mm height - 350mm length £15.00 (fleabay, p&p inc)
2 Maplins 1A variac variable transformer £35.14 each + £2.99 P&p or £58.86 for 2 + free p&p
Relay - 'Min 5A DPDT 240Vac £3.54 (maplins)
Relay holder - 8Pin Rly Skt DIN £1.98 (maplins)
1 Pk10 Lucas 6.3 female spade connectors £1.00 (maplins)
1 Pk10 Lucas spade covers £1.00 (maplins)
3 Inline fuse holders £1.69 X 3 = £5.07 (maplins)
1 Pk10 1A quick blow fuses. £1.69. (maplins)

Honeywell T6360 thermostat £9.00 (fleabay, p&p inc)

15A Connector block £1.50 BNQ
4 Black 20mm grommit glands £3.52 BNQ
1 Pk20 self adhesive cable tie mounts £1.50 BNQ
1 Pk500 cable ties £ 1.00 BNQ
2 Single trailing single sockets £3.70 each - £7.40 for 2. BNQ
10m of 1.5mm 3 core cable £10.00 BNQ
1" Velcro square pads pads £2.00 BNQ
1 Plug £ 1.00 BNQ

Total £125.00

Part 1 of build will follow shortly

i like that, good plan. im gonna make a note of this one, and when it comes time to make my own, use your diagram here, you may have to translate for US standard wiring...

Im not sure how Us wiring works i think its the same with no earth? Im not 100% tho!

Crazy lookin gadget there GS! reps for not taking the easy way out :Namaste:

Its very simple miss but i recomend anyone do it.
Thanks for reps ! :Namaste:

Very innovative! :bravo:

Its very simple bro and saves you lots of money, try it out!

You and OG13 can come together and build space ships. That's amazing how you guys wire things together, program it to work to your desire. Keep sharing it with the community!

Iv seen OG13's work and hes on a diffrent level, its sucha simple build anyone can do it, keep tuned for part 1 of the build.

:peace::love:

Part 1 ~ Variac 2 Fan speed Controller - The Build

This part is going to be mostly diagrams, step by step construction of the build, iv hit a few technical dificulties that i will clear up and explain when we get to them.

Line the weather box with valcro for easy installation.

21042.JPG

Cut out for thermostat wire.

2080.JPG
21146.JPG

1 Amp Variable resistor

7381.JPG
1_amp_variac.jpg

5493.JPG

6426.JPG

Fitting the Variable resistors

Used the face plate to mark were to drill

29102.JPG

31119.JPG
3040.JPG

All Fitted

34109.JPG
33119.JPG

Please remove the sticker on the back as variable resistors can get warm.

35106.JPG
36103.JPG

Drilling for fan lines and power input

18120.jpg
19116.JPG

23123.JPG
24117.JPG

25111.JPG

So that is the general construction of the unit, there shouldnt be any more drilling needed, just the wiring left to complete.

Stay tuned.

Part 2 ~ Variac 2 Fan speed Controller - Wiring up

Wiring pt 1
I ran the power in & used the connector block, running 2 lives with
2 1A inline fuses to terminals 5 & 8 on the relay holder.

4040.JPG

Wiring pt 2
here i run in 2 lines for the 2 fans & connected them to more connector block.

41106.JPG

Wiring pt 3
Here i daisy chained the earth to the other blocks.

42107.JPG

Wiring pt 4
Heres the variacs wired up, i used 6.3mm female spade connectors with see through covers.

ww78.JPG

Wiring pt 5
1 live in - 2 neutral - 3 variable output.

44106.JPG

Wiring pt 6
I used velcro pads & stuck then to the relay holder as i didnt have a din rail to connect it to & i didnt want to drill the case.

45102.JPG

Wiring pt 7
Here i used self adhesive cable tie mounts to tidy things up.

ww131.JPG

Wiring pt 8
Almost there

4722.JPG

Wiring pt 9
Here ive ran in the 3 core cable for the thermostat.

4823.JPG

Wiring pt 10
Ta Da, heres everything wired up.

4919.JPG

Wiring pt 11
Heres how the wiring looks when the lids going on, it tucks in with plently of room between the variacs.

5017.JPG

Wiring pt 12

51105.JPG

Wiring pt 13

52103.JPG

Wiring pt14
This is how i wired up the thermostat, the neutral wire is the live return & runs to no 13 on the relay.

53103.jpg

Heres the inline fuse holders & how they work.
5494.JPG

This is how i stuck things down.

5523.JPG

5620.JPG

Its a great piece of kit & was well worth the effort to quieten things down.
theres no hum what so ever with the 6" high power ruck L1
& the fan runs from as low as 10% and is silent when set anywere up to 60%, you could sleep next to it and not hear a thing!

I could of saved some money in places, building a single fan controller can nock £60 off easy, so you could have a brilliant silent fan controller for around £65 - £70, ok so there are loads on the market for this price but i garentee you that you will be pissed with the quality unless your willing to spend over £200, alot of the cheaper ones adjust the voltage causing a humming, variacs adjust amps making them silent and alot better for your fan.

:peace::love:

You are blessed with a tremendous talent. Great idea and execution of details is first rate!:adore:

Clean. :thumb:

I do this kind of stuff for a living (although bigger) and other than using velcro rail instead of DIN rail, that would pass inspection at work just fine.

Making sure I've got the concept right: temp below setpoint = low (variable) speed fans, temp above setpoint = full speed?

Thanks!

1970s Grower

Thanks man serious i keep saying anyone can do this iv only ever wired a few things in my life and this was so simple!

Twelve12

:thumb:

Bigirishdoode

Bro i promise that you can achieve these same results with a few spare hours, im kinda intrested to know more about this tatto machine now, ever given yourself one?

WhiteHouse

Hi mate there are loads on the market, if your happy with one that humm's and doesnt have a thermostat kick in then you can get a dimmer switch and wire it inline for about £5, if you buy a rvk you have to put a plug on it so adding an inline dimmer would be a few second job, but you will get a humming and it is loud.

fncg

Lol realy ?? ha if im honest with you guys i was a bit smoked when i built it, i got out the soildering iron to soilder the wires to the variacs and i was seeing double pins.. so i shot out a got the spades lol

Yeah temps below = variac set, temps above = thermostat cut in (max)

Back
Top Bottom