Grand Daddy Purple S1 & Pre-1998 Bubba Kush S1

Got 'em all :thumb: Man, I had to nursemaid some of 'em; the last one I had to crack twice. I just got finished pulling the seed husks off of three seedlings; two more need it but I couldn't get them off (GDP S1 x GDP f3):

This one's got some purple in it already, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up:

I push down on seeds into the wet paper towel they're on with my finger until they crack. It cushions them a little so I don't obliterate the seed from pushing down too hard. I'm gettin' pretty good at it..... :blunt:

Turn the seed seam side up when you do it and put pressure down on it slowly after you feel that seam pushing into your fingertip (you'll get a feel for the seed being straight up by the way it feels). As soon as I hear the crack, I let off.

Wow after months of being in veg, this clone from the first GDP S1 mother I chose (and later made the second mother) finally grew an offshoot:

Here's the top:

I'll take it as a clone soon (I need more soilless mix, so I can't do it now). It should be growing by the time these seedlings are a good size.

I took that clone and it seems to be okay :thumb: But I killed one of the seedlings prying the seed husk off :(

There's a few interesting prospects here (more than just these few pics). Man, I hope one of these two is a male. There's already purple in both:

And only one oddball, which is good:

GDP S1 x GDP f3 breeding project (23 plants):

I waited too long to water them, so they're wilted a little. I had a few that I thought looked purple, but one or two of them might have just needed nutes. I checked, and they're four weeks and one day old. I should have fed them last week. Here's one of the plants that I think just needs fed:

These two are definitely going to turn purple; this chimp's just seen that specific color too many times:

I hope one's a male..... :straightface:

Awesome read! Pretty cool stuff. I wasn’t able to follow S1- SX through F1 - FX (only because I didn’t really try). I read an interesting article on Cubing on Brothers Grimm C99. They’re cubing always took next generation fathers back to the original mother.

Question... did your original Kens GDP offspring male/female offspring resemble the original mother?

I’ve got six kens GDP seeds starting and was thinking of flowering out all females, saving 1 male, and making a seed run with 1 or 2 females with a chosen male.

Same scenario I may do with Black Widow.

Awesome read and likely a representation of any GDP phenol out there

Awesome read! Pretty cool stuff. I wasn’t able to follow S1- SX through F1 - FX (only because I didn’t really try). I read an interesting article on Cubing on Brothers Grimm C99. They’re cubing always took next generation fathers back to the original mother.

Question... did your original Kens GDP offspring male/female offspring resemble the original mother?

I’ve got six kens GDP seeds starting and was thinking of flowering out all females, saving 1 male, and making a seed run with 1 or 2 females with a chosen male.

Same scenario I may do with Black Widow.

Awesome read and likely a representation of any GDP phenol out there

Hey, haven't seen your screen name in a while; good to hear from you.
None of the plants I grew looked like the picture they use in the ad, if that's what you're asking. I did the same thing as you're planning, kind of. I took one male and two female Ken's original GDP f1 (?) plants and went to f3 with them both (I called the mothers the more-haired and less-haired phenotypes). I'm going to be doing about 20 of the offspring for my next grow, and possibly breeding them both together, by the way. By f3, both lost the purple color plus the bud and plant structure, but retained most of the frost and grape smell. I think I may be able to get something worthwhile out of the deal, though.

I got some work to do tomorrow. I need to get these transplanted into one gallon pots (Grand Daddy Purple S1 x Grand Daddy Purple f3):

About 3-4 of them are still holding that color in the new growth (kind of hard to see in this pic):

That plant is taller than the rest, so it might be male.

Still haven't done that transplant. I blew half of the CFL out that was over these, so I had to replace it with a MH. They're crowded, so I'll make some room in another tent and get on it:

I've got a few of the plants repotted and under another 250w MH. The GDP plant I like the most is in the left upper corner; it's taller and looks like it's going to be a male:

Here's a close-up. The main stem is striped purple which I like:

I've got the two GDP S1 backcross mothers ready (one needs to be repotted). :thumb:

Well, I set up my new MH light and while I was tweaking the airflow (adding a 6" to 4" reducer and pulling on the flex duct to connect it) I disconnected the 4" duct on the other end without knowing it. Twelve of the GDP plants I just started got wilted to the point that it's going to be a long time before they come back (a month, if at all). The pots they were in were too small and they dried up quick; not so much from heat burn, but from the pots going dry.
The good news is that I have both GDP S1 mothers in my other tent, and eleven of the GDP plants I just started are okay (including most of the plants I liked out of this grow). I only need a male and I think I saved the best picks for that. I'm still bummed out, though..... :(

I think I'll salvage five or six of those wilted GDPs, but the other six are so bad the only part of the plant that could possibly come back is the growth on the main stem (a good month or more of recovery). I'll get some pics up soon, but probably not pics of that mess! :cough:

Back
Top Bottom