Grandpa Likes To Squeeze Stuff: Solventless Extracts, Rosin, Pressed Here!

So far the girl scout cookies from @Weed Seeds Express is my favorite for rosin. I don't weigh so take it at face value but I feel the yield has been great, nice color and super tasty. I've seen gorilla glue #4 was amazing from earlier posts on here

OK BRO... got to ask you to measure out your yeild .. weigh it out before and after .. nice to know
it changes... with age .. goes down..

anybody pressed wedding cake ? or pineapple express?

anyone press g13?

cheers
I pressed pineapple express auto from Barney Farms and it was a real tropical treat! Likely posted pics here back when. I can dig a bit and see if I find them.

Looks yummy!!! Hey Gramps...I haven't really had the chance to thank you properly for this thread and coming back to show us your stuff. I'm still really new to this. I haven't pressed in a few weeks. I've been trying to bring back some overdried buds to life thanks to @InTheShed recommendation to add some lemon peels to the jars. I was wondering if you have a RH that you prefer to get your buds to before pressing. Have you got to the point where you can squeeze or "feel" when a bud is right for pressing?

I probably need to go back and reread your first posts. I have a bit of a memory issue so I will apologize in advance for being overly forgetful. Thanks again. Blessings.

Looks yummy!!! Hey Gramps...I haven't really had the chance to thank you properly for this thread and coming back to show us your stuff. I'm still really new to this. I haven't pressed in a few weeks. I've been trying to bring back some overdried buds to life thanks to @InTheShed recommendation to add some lemon peels to the jars. I was wondering if you have a RH that you prefer to get your buds to before pressing. Have you got to the point where you can squeeze or "feel" when a bud is right for pressing?

I probably need to go back and reread your first posts. I have a bit of a memory issue so I will apologize in advance for being overly forgetful. Thanks again. Blessings.

Excellent question. Not sure I can answer it properly. The type of bud, how it was grown, how it was cured, and even the ambient RH the day you squeeze all play a huge part in the yield/taste/texture, etc. Heck, the plate temperatures at the squeeze are even important. However, I’m not that scientific about any of it any more. I just squeeze what I can out of whatever I have and go from there. It’s more about getting it done for me now…if that makes sense.

I do prefer to press freshly cured bud as opposed to really dry stuff…duh…:Namaste:

*Edit: I keep 62% humidity packs in my weed jars.

I just squeeze what I can out of whatever I have and go from there. It’s more about getting it done for me now…if that makes sense.
Makes complete sense to me! I recently pressed some flower. One was meh and the other much better. Didn't take any notes and just went with whatever I got and called it a day. Thanks again. Lots of factors to consider. Merry Pressings and Blessings!

Ohhhh booyyyy!!! Got some extra time (and energy) to process some of my GSC harvest. I will be posting an update on my journal on total yields. #7 was a knockout of a plant in my opinion. I have 3 separate jars of #7 and I decided to press the jar with the larf and smaller to medium*ish buds. Here is a sample of some flower that is going to a friend. I hope he enjoys it as much as I am right now!

Started off the night with a couple bowls from this jar in my @PerfectPipe !

Then it was on to pressing a total of 42 grams / 1.5 oz of some good flower. Here it is with most of it having a gardeners trim and others a bit more trimmed.

Here is the after. Ready to start stuffing bags!

I went with 90 micron bags for this run. I did a couple things. I did a pre-press of 3.5 grams. I then manually stuffed the bag with 7 grams. The latter being my preference. 1st run results were a total of 3 grams. 7% return.

Do NOT do this...
I stacked two 3.5 gram pucks on top of each other. I pressed too hard and it was too thick for the bag. Not sure why I did it. Hopefully I remember to not do that again.

Now some rosin shots from the collection and processing on the @DabPress Hot Plate set at 170°. The 1st run started at 8pm PST and I plan on leaving it there for at least 24-36 hrs to degas. I believe some people use 190° but I'm being a wimp about leaving it on that high.

Ok!!! I'm pretty stoked with the looks and AMAZING experience that #7 just produced. Properly Baaaaaaked!!!

Here are the results of the 2nd run of all the bags except the blowout. That one went straight into the junk pile to be infused at a later date. I completely forgot to get a weight on the 2nd run before I started collecting it in a jar. I don't have another empty one that is the same to get an accurate weight. My estimate is 0.5g. Could be way off.

I gave this 2nd run rosin a try...and damn did it hit just right! It was a smoother smoke than the first run. It was also a heavier/denser smoke at the same temp that I dabbed the 1st run, being 400°. I was surprised. 1st run had a more complex flavor though. Hard to explain but the 2nd run had a more distinct/specific terpene profile versus being a mix/combination of terpens from run #1. I still can't figure it out in my head what the terpene is.

Leaving both the 1st & 2nd run to degas on the hot plate. I have it covered with another jar to provide enough air space. Also turns into a very inefficient vacuum to suck the air out of the rosin. First time trying this so I'm excited to see what it looks like at the different stages of cure.

Ok...I think that's all for this photo dump and update from my life today. If you are still reading, I owe you a dab or two!

It was good to get in the garage and start pressing. My space is a bit cluttered again and that drives me crazy. Yet I continue to do it to myself. I seriously do not understand that about myself. The surrounding space is not setup the way I want either and that's driving me nuts. Need to get my ass in gear and just start moving all the crap in the garage and extend my tent space and 420 lounge space. I want to be able to stretch out and press or just hang out. It has been frustrating lately with laying low and recovering from a recent fall. Thankfully the few dabs throughout the evening or pressing helps ease the aches. Have a great night folks. Time to get ready for bed!
:volcano-smiley:

I’d hit it all!!!

I’d hit it all!!!

I'd love to share and get other opinions. I'm sure you'd enjoy it. Maybe not the best...BUT NOT the worst I've had! Haaa haaa.

7% return

Where’s the rest of it? That’s what I want to know. (It’s a good thing if you’re saving your spent pucks for infusions. There’s more there).

I plan on leaving it there for at least 24-36 hrs to degas.

Can you tell us more about this?
I don’t know what I’m looking at. Are you cooking it?

I did not have a good or consistent cure is my take. RH was in the low 60s.

Curing as far as I understand it is mainly to do with the chlorophyll content (and a few other chemical processes). Your flower isn’t dehydrated. Scratching my head.
Supplementary question on technique: how are you preheating your material pre-squish? Are you closing the plates on your product so it has a pressure preload for 45 seconds before you push? Your pucks will be, say, a quarter of their original thickness while you listen to the crackling sounds from the flowers as trichomes burst. Adjusting the preload while it warms up to keep some pressure on usually has the pucks bubbling before the plates come together.
I find the more slowly I get up to max pressure from there the better the pressing will be.
Is it the same for you?

Back
Top Bottom