Graytail's Cupwinners in High Brix Soil - 4x4 - 600W HPS - Perpetual

Actually, I use the 2 liter extended wand model and the spray is a very fine mist, My complaint is that it's too large for my garden. I rarely need more than a quart. I found a one quart pump model online with a brass nozzle - I may pick that one up next time I order. I really like the rotatable sprayer wand on the Solo - easy to get them from any angle, and it reaches the back of the room.

Things are getting fun again!

Jamaican Dream3 and White Panther are three weeks from harvest and looking properly pert and frosty.

JD3 - 96 Days old - 42 days 12/12 - 31 since pistils - brix 11/12
DSCN26781.JPG

DSCN26791.JPG

DSCN26802.JPG

DSCN26823.JPG

DSCN26854.JPG

White Panther - 104 days old - 42 days 12/12 - 31 since pistils - brix 9/10
DSCN26865.JPG

DSCN26875.JPG

DSCN26884.JPG

DSCN26912.JPG

DSCN26922.JPG

Panama is looking especially nice - I'm glad I took cuts of this one. She's already showing some good frost, and I now know she isn't much of a stretcher, so I'll be able to veg the cut a lot longer - get her nice and big before flower.

Panama - 73 Days - 27 days 12/12 - 12 since pistils - brix 9/10
DSCN26932.JPG

DSCN26942.JPG

DSCN26952.JPG

DSCN26963.JPG

DSCN26973.JPG

I still love the look of this Wild Thailand, even if she's not a Wild Thailand ... dunno what she is. That's gonna be one fat cola. Look how fake and plasticky she looks in the overhead shot!

Wild Thailand - 70 Days old - 25 days 12/12 - 12 since pistils - brix 9/10
DSCN26983.JPG

DSCN26992.JPG

DSCN27003.JPG

DSCN27013.JPG

DSCN27022.JPG

Tangerine Dream seems to have her act together - it's been 5 days since she recovered and she's growing like a wild thang - 4 inches in the last 5 days.

Tangerine Dream - 72 Days old - 14 days 12/12 - brix 12/12
DSCN27042.JPG

DSCN27051.JPG

DSCN27062.JPG

DSCN27072.JPG

Utopia Haze, on the other hand, doesn't look like she knows her purpose in life. Hey! Sweetheart! Get to business!

Utopia Haze - 50 Days old - brix 11/11
DSCN27081.JPG

DSCN27092.JPG

DSCN27101.JPG

DSCN27112.JPG

SLH Reveg makes me grin. A 183 day old plant that already produced 69 grams and will probably yield more than that again in a few months. Besides, it's been fun messin' with it.

SLH Reveg - 183 days old - brix 10/11
DSCN27121.JPG

DSCN27131.JPG

DSCN27142.JPG

DSCN27151.JPG

White Panther is a completely reliable strain - veges well, roots well ... A guy could grow this one in his sleep.

WP1 - 56 Days old
DSCN27161.JPG

DSCN27171.JPG

DSCN27182.JPG

DSCN27191.JPG

Fun contrast in strains, huh? These cuts are both the same age, same nutes, same pot, etc.

Pana1 & Thai1 - 26 days old
DSCN27204.JPG

DSCN27211.JPG

DSCN27221.JPG

Thanks, Rain!

I don't see any signs of Mag deficiency - just lack of vigor. At this stage, I'm pretty sure it's been unbalanced soil. I'm starting to get a feel for when it's in tune and when it isn't, and that's what the Stress foliar is for - it helps the roots and biota communicate (if I understand the process correctly). This improvement came on the heels of two sprayings in a 3 day period. I had been getting lazy with the Stress. So I'll keep spraying the Tangerine until it looks like it's hooked up correctly. I don't need the floor space for another couple weeks - that should be a good enough window to see if it's worth keeping.

So ... when ya gonna post some more pics ... ? :cheesygrinsmiley:

Thanks for the wisdom! You know your stuff :) That is pretty incredible that it helps the biota communicate. I hope the Tangerine shows you what you want to see within your timeframe.

I just put up some pics ;)

That Re-veg is gorgeous Gray...much respect

Thanks, guys!

I've been having more fun than I thought I would, training young plants. It's just so easy to fiddle with 'em all the time, pulling a high branch out a bit and tucking a lower one in its place, or topping a plant that's just begging for it, y'know? You can see that if you cut it off right "there", you'll get a really cool 7 sided plant. On one of them, I topped it, and then twisted the lower branches one way and another and got a perfect hexagon shaped flat-top. :cheesygrinsmiley: Unfortunately, my plants don't stretch and I'm ending up with sub 2-footers yielding over 2.5 oz each. I know that I'm forcing upward growth into multiple branches - the tips aren't getting much of a supply of growth hormone, so none of them grow very fast. But I didn't expect to get virtually no stretch in flower. I think it's probably soil volume - I just don't have enough root space to feed a multiple-top plant in flower. If I had larger pots, I could veg them to a foot and still get good stretch ... I think. Other opinions are welcome. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Which brings me to another subject I need some help with. I'm trying to figure out how much light my plants are getting in veg. I run 6 - 23 watt CFLs over each 6 gallon pot, roughly one square foot. Lumen output decreases over time, but they start with 1400 or so each x 6 = 8400/sqft, kinda high. But ... I run them at 2 inches above the canopy. So, with the inverse square law ... um ... that's a LOT of lumens. I've looked around, and I still don't exactly know how lumens are measured. I think it's at 1 foot distance. Am I right, or am I confusing lumens with foot candles, or does it even matter? Anyway, if so, and mine are 6 times closer than that, then that's 36 times the lumens = 302,000 lumens/sqft - a ridiculous number. Huh?

I'm in the same boat brother. I like shorter bushy plants as well they do better in tents. But I also wonder about how much plants these roots can handle. My current lst looks pretty good, buds a little small, but she due for some energy bulking after the last two cat drenches. The other syntax which is a few weeks behind the one I just mentioned was trained to have just two main colas and a few smaller branches, much less plant. She is a bit taller but also looks really really happy, so next round of plants will be topped for 4 mains, pruned from the bottom up and left alone. I've wondered about this a lot, how many tops can we have and still maintain high brix and good yield. It seems like there shouldn't be too much of a problem, because we could always scrog a couple plants into monsters, but I still have reservations on how much soil is available to those buds.

Your plants look really bushy lots of undergrowth. Would a heavy handed pruning from the bottom allow for higher brix, due to reduced plant material for the roots to support?

I don't mind popcorn so much as it's great for extracts, but if pruning for no popcorn gives higher brix then that's for me.

Liking where this is going.

About the pruning, I feel myself steadily coming around. For instance, today I finally stripped the Tangerine Dream of pretty much everything except the top 10 inches or so. I should be doing this sooner, but it violates my instincts. I've had houseplants in every home I've lived in for over 30 years, some of them very old and very large. I just don't think in terms of removing perfectly good leaves. But here, I'm raising the plant for produce as a specific goal, which means the plant has specific priorities, which means undergrowth becomes counterproductive once the roots are well established.

Here's how I see it. Leaves provide the suction power to drive fluid circulation in the plant - the conveyor system. The plant uses that circulation to draw nutrients from the roots and distribute hormones n stuff around the plant, and to grow more leaves and ... produce fruit. So, fewer leaves gets you less "action" in the plant, which produces less root growth, etc. But the plant will grow more leaves, in many cases in better places - nearer the canopy top - so that can be a net plus. Once a plant has settled into flowering, I don't cringe when I remove leaves. At that point, it's busy growing flowers, and the sugar leaves support that - right up in the canopy where the light is - and the roots have pretty much filled the pot by then.

I'm steadily doing it earlier, like I should. :cheesygrinsmiley:

[Edit] P.S. I was recently surprised to realize that the parts of my plants that are farthest from the light aren't any different from the ones nearest to it. I don't necessarily rotate my plants. Is photosynthesis energy distributed throughout the plant or localized? Seems like it's distributed. My belief has always been that leaves feed the nearby growth. Maybe that's wrong. Maybe they feed the roots, and the roots feed the plant. Where are growth hormones made?

From Wiki:

Hormones are transported within the plant by utilizing four types of movements. For localized movement, cytoplasmic streaming within cells and slow diffusion of ions and molecules between cells are utilized. Vascular tissues are used to move hormones from one part of the plant to another; these include sieve tubes or phloem that move sugars from the leaves to the roots and flowers, and xylem that moves water and mineral solutes from the roots to the foliage.

I should do some research. First, a pipeful ...

Learned some stuff.

Auxins are one class of hormones, and are produced by the apical tips, new leaves, and flowers. Auxins are also transported to the roots, where they're responsible for new root growth. They promote new leaf and bud growth at the tips and suppress it in the lower growth.

Cytokinins are another class and work in ratios with auxins. They promote the abandonment of older growth and counterbalance auxins. Cytokinins are produced in the roots and new growth. A high auxin/cytokinin ratio promotes root formation and a low ratio promotes shoot formation.

And the product of photosynthesis is glucose, which is distributed throughout the plant.

So, if I'm thinking clearly, once a leaf has stopped growing, it no longer produces hormones. All it does is convert light to sugar. If you remove an old leaf, it has no particular effect on the surrounding leaves, branches and buds - no hormones. You just lose the leaf production area, and if that's buried in the shade, you're not losing much. And since the byproduct of phosynthesis is glucose, and glucose is distributed throughout the plant, you can light the plant on one side and that'll feed the other side. The shaded side just won't grow as much.

Yes? No?

Learned some stuff.

Auxins are one class of hormones, and are produced by the apical tips, new leaves, and flowers. Auxins are also transported to the roots, where they're responsible for new root growth. They promote new leaf and bud growth at the tips and suppress it in the lower growth.

Cytokinins are another class and work in ratios with auxins. They promote the abandonment of older growth and counterbalance auxins. Cytokinins are produced in the roots and new growth. A high auxin/cytokinin ratio promotes root formation and a low ratio promotes shoot formation.

And the product of photosynthesis is glucose, which is distributed throughout the plant.

So, if I'm thinking clearly, once a leaf has stopped growing, it no longer produces hormones. All it does is convert light to sugar. If you remove an old leaf, it has no particular effect on the surrounding leaves, branches and buds - no hormones. You just lose the leaf production area, and if that's buried in the shade, you're not losing much. And since the byproduct of phosynthesis is glucose, and glucose is distributed throughout the plant, you can light the plant on one side and that'll feed the other side. The shaded side just won't grow as much.

Yes? No?

Keep this up and you'll be a post-prohibition grower.

Learned some stuff.

Yes? No?

nice read and sounds like legit logic based off what i read here and have read on the subject in the past. i say "yes"

It took 7 months to get this far, Dennise - I put my first seed in the dirt May 1st.

And I had the same want. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I learned everything I know here on :420:

This must be why they call them sugar leaves

DSCN27344.JPG

And has anyone seen dripping trichs before?

DSCN27345.JPG

Wow, I can't get over how great things look this run!

White Panther and JD3 are getting ready for the final swell - they'll both get Cat drench this week. JD3 is at least a week ahead, so it should be instructive to compare the timing of the drench. JD3 should be done in less than 2 weeks and Panther will be 3 more. I haven't used Cat on the JDs yet, and almost decided to skip it this time, too, but I want to see how they react.

JD3 - 103 Days old - 49 days 12/12 - 38 since pistils - brix 11/12
DSCN27483.JPG

DSCN27962.JPG

DSCN27503.JPG

DSCN27523.JPG

DSCN28043.JPG

White Panther - 111 days old - 49 days 12/12 - 38 since pistils - brix 12/12
DSCN27424.JPG

DSCN27432.JPG

DSCN27445.JPG

DSCN27463.JPG

DSCN27473.JPG

These two are the ones that are surprising me. They're less than 3 weeks since pistils and the trich production is remarkable. The "Wild Thailand" is one thing - it's obviously indica heavy, early to bloom and finish - but the Panama looks special. Supposedly, both of them still have 7 weeks to go. :cheesygrinsmiley: I pulled a bunch of Wild Thai's big fans to give the buds more light. They'll both get early Cat drench this week.

Panama - 80 Days - 34 days 12/12 - 19 since pistils - brix11/12
DSCN27552.JPG

DSCN27561.JPG

DSCN27571.JPG

DSCN27602.JPG

DSCN27611.JPG

Wild Thailand - 77 Days old - 32 days 12/12 - 19 since pistils - brix 8/8
DSCN27622.JPG

DSCN27631.JPG

DSCN27653.JPG

DSCN27661.JPG

DSCN27672.JPG

Tangerine Dream and Utopia Haze are in the groove now, doin' what they're supposed to do - they both grew 8 inches since the last update. It looks like Utopia is an outdoor strain, heheh - not sure what it's going to do - no sign of pistil set yet.

Tangerine Dream - 79 Days old - 21 days 12/12 - 5 since pistils - brix 10/11
DSCN27702.JPG

DSCN27712.JPG

DSCN27722.JPG

DSCN27733.JPG

DSCN27751.JPG

Utopia Haze - 57 Days old - brix 10/10
DSCN27761.JPG

DSCN2777.JPG

DSCN27782.JPG

DSCN27793.JPG

WP1 is still in veg, looking to get her to 12 inches before i flip. SLH Reveg is almost ready - I want to get some more girth on the stems before I flip 'er - due for 2 weeks from now, along with another Jamaican Dream, JD4. JD4 is the same age as JD3 - been holding it in a 3 quart pot until a couple weeks ago. It was in rough shape, but it's coming along nicely now.

WP1 - 63 Days old - brix 14/14
DSCN27892.JPG

DSCN27903.JPG

DSCN27913.JPG

SLH Reveg - 190 days old - brix 14/15
DSCN27863.JPG

DSCN27873.JPG

DSCN27881.JPG

JD4 - 103 days old - brix 14/16
DSCN27832.JPG

DSCN27842.JPG

DSCN27852.JPG

The Pana1 and Thai1 cuts are almost ready to be potted. Pana1 got topped this week and will be ready when I flip WP1, and Thai1 will follow a week later.

Pana1 & Thai1 - 33 days old
DSCN27924.JPG

DSCN27934.JPG

DSCN27943.JPG

And it's time to start the next run! - Cotton Candy, Grapefruit, SAGE and Carnival.

DSCN28113.JPG

:cheesygrinsmiley:

Damn Gray! Your grow is so In tune it's scary... Much respect.

Back
Top Bottom