GreenChrome's Perpetual Grow Journal Volume 1 - Soil - Ice & Bubblicious

Re: GreenChrome's Perpetual Grow Journal Volume 1 (Soil, Ice & Bubblicious)

@GC - I'm definitely feeling the need to 'weed out' a few strains but this is my first time growing most of them myself so I at least want to finish out 1 or 2 of each, then decide which ones I want to keep in production (flowering rotation) and which ones I'll just keep a clone or two of handy. Variety is awesome but I'd definitely like to be able to slow down a little and focus on a few specific strains, I'm fairly certain all of the ones I picked are good medicinal strains for one reason or another, so it really just comes down to what works best in my space & schedule.

Not too much to my cloning really, just start with some good healthy chutes (I lollipop the plants just before I start them in flower, & use the lower branches), and as far as my exact methods I just cut, dip the stem in a *very* mild nute solution for about 20 secs, cut again (just above where the original cut was made), dip in powder (the $3.50 cheap stuff you can find at just about any local home improvement/garden center), tap off excess and press firmly into my pre-moistened rapid rooter plugs. I use plain (preferably RO) water to pre-soak since the cubes already contain microbes that help the rooting process.

Into the tray and under a dome/light (23w 'warm'/sun CFL) they go. After that I just vent a couple of times a day (completely remove the dome for a few minutes) and if I see excessive humidity build up I'll go ahead and crack the side vents for a few hours. After 2-3 days of just venting I'll start misting (plants *and* plugs) as necessary, and I'll usually start plucking them out and checking after about 7-10 days.

If after 10-14 days I don't see visible roots I'll carefully extract the plant, re-cut & dip in hormone and reset in the tray for another week. Still learning & experimenting but so far I seem to be having good results, might take a little persistence and coaxing but I can usually get most of them to root eventually... :grinjoint:

maui_root.jpg

This is a re-dipped Maui just checked today, I don't recall exactly what day I re/started this batch but I really want to say it wasn't more than 5-6 days ago... :hmmmm: Well damn, you go girl! :bravo:

Oh, and all of these are from clone via local dispensaries, I'd say 7-8 are from a reliable source, a couple are questionable but we'll see how they finish...

Just sub'd. My grow is just beginning to get started Stealth a must. Love your set up. Great Read.

:goodjob:

CP- I think that is a good idea, cure it well and you can keep the smoke for a while after you stop growing the strains for some variety. Also, it gives you the chance to see which plants are growing the best, and which smoke you like the best. Nice roots for a few days. I have been thinking of making an aero cloner, found the plans on here. I have a few domes and a ton of cubes though, so I may burn through those first. I had a really amazing strain on my last grow. The smoke was great, but I stupidly traded a few clones with someone and they returned the favor with spider mites. Rather than risking both crops, I took all of my cuttings, along with his that were in the same room and trashed them. I tried treating them but it was too far infested. I lost that strain, and am still upset.

I would like to get my rooting time down to 5-7 days, but I need a better setup.

**If anyone see's a source for Dubya, please let me know!**

Seagem, glad to have you here! Stealth is fun. If you need any detail to mimic something from our space, let me know and I would be glad to detail the process.

GC- Thank you for the offer. I may just have to take you up on the offer. My Berry Bomb grow is my first indoor and quite different from any out door grows I have had. A very fine line for indoor grows especially in the central US. There is so much to contend with as far as humidity and temps. Always changing even with a/c running.

I was hoping to DIY a carbon filter and happened to run across a auction and bought a active carbon can new for $60.00 today. Will get the fan tomorrow which will help immensely. I have a 12x12x8 spare room. Working on getting it sealed up. I just hope my grow is productive enough to resemble your lovely grow.

:peace:

Yeah, with the old-school methods (rockwool, rapid rooters or pellets/soil) I think the best you can hope for is 7-14 days, people seem to have great results with the aero cloners but I just prefer my babies having a solid foundation and not having to make their first transplant bare-roots. The cubes/plugs give the plant a nice firm home until it can establish a strong enough root system to support itself.

And mites... That friggin' sucks. You know, I think this is probably the first garden I've started that hasn't had a single mite. :wood: And with the number of clones I've brought home from who-knows-where, I feel pretty lucky there. Of course I still have a very slight root aphid problem with a few of the plants but I've been treating regularly with AzaMax, seems to keep them in check at least until I can harvest, and thankfully these suckers live in the roots, NOT the buds. Eh, you might catch a flier in there but at least you can pick it out... LOL

Sucks losing a good strain tho... I'm still bummed I didn't get my Blue Dream or OG Kush to clone (the BD is just *gorgeous*), but they're both dime-a-dozen cuts around here. I have my Godfather OG now (one of my faves and perfectly blends the two parent strains so technically I can do without either. The GDP will stay for a while tho...) :grinjoint:

Let me know when you guys start cloning and keep us updated, that's probably my favorite phase to work in is creating/spreading the new life. That and the final flowering phase, of course... :party:

Stay Green guys :)

Seagem, thank you again for the kind words. I am still new to this, and my goal is to get better each time. I am sure you will have an awesome grow when the room is done. I will check out your journal in a bit. Temperature and humidity are my problems now, but I am trying to work on it. I like the DIY stuff, especially when it comes to this hobby.

CP- I check for mites everyday. I think I am suffering from trauma over that last crop. I get a sinking feeling when I turn over the leaf to look for those bastards. We will be posting out cloning process. We have had good results before, but it isn't consistent. However, we are now going to be working the the strongest (out of 5) plants from both strains, and we know that they have good lineage and are award winning strains. So far, they have been more predictable and consistent, and I am learning more about them specifically. Hopefully I can get a solid method down after a few cycles.

BWC- Dubya was a clone I got for my first grow. It was amazing smoke, although not much of it. I would have loved to grow it under these conditions, but it went out with the spider mites. It had to be done...

LOL 'Dubya'... like George? That's hilarious. :laughtwo: Unfortunately it was probably a made-up name for an already existing strain, or some unknown cross a local came up with, nothing on the 'net even in forums.

I take it you're not in contact with that person anymore?

Oh, and is it Dubya or Bubya? I was just flippin' through your first journal and it said Bubya... either way, still nada about it.

Green Chrome- Thought you might like a natural pest exterminator have you ever tried Diatomaceous Earth? It is very good on ants, mites, ticks and so far there is nothing that I know of naturally that will rid you of the beasts. We used to worm our horses with it. Let me know if you need more info. It is very safe for plants. Thought it could help with any lingering mites and you can put it all around your house for maintenance, even in your grow room floors.

:Namaste:

Green Chrome- Thought you might like a natural pest exterminator have you ever tried Diatomaceous Earth?

I might have to try that myself in the next few transplants, heard good things so far. Still got a few lingering root aphids myself but I'm not stressing too bad over them since the plants seem to be doing okay, just gotta keep a close eye on things...

CaliPho3niX - I have used it for a long time, it works great. One thing to remember is it dissolves in water. I was buying 50# bags at the co-op. It is very cheap. I think I gave $25.00. Buying from a name brand company might have the price jacked up. Find a farm and feed store they usually carry it. You dust all the way around your house about 3-6 inches out and reapply if it rains.

A person can treat the indoor and outdoor areas, if out doors around the grow area go around the base of each plant out about 18 inches. You can spread it with your hands or a sieve and just tap it. All of the plant can be treated. Those pests that crawl and the fliers will be killed by suffocation. The crustations in the DE cuts through the pests legs where they breathe from.

I love the stuff.

CaliPho3niX by the way your avatar is very nice.

LOL Thanks! I was watching the video and someone pointed out the cross in the comments, so I paused on that frame and it was just perfect...

So in an indoor garden, potted soil plants, you'd have to reapply after every feed/water? No biggie since the biggest pots in my garden are 1gal, just curious. Still sounds like it'd be more effective (and *much* more affordable) than just AzaMax alone. I'll have to give it a try... :)

I have only used the Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth. I did a search for it and here is something I never even thought of for a use, Hydroponics - Freshwater diatomite can be used as a growing medium in hydroponic gardens.
here is the link.
Diatomaceous earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This might even keep the slim down.

If anyone decides to try this please share your results with us here.
:high-five:

Safe for use around the Home - Indoors and with Pets!
All Natural & Organic Pest Control
Use Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth as a natural insecticide for the non-chemical control of aphids, whiteflies, beetles, loppers, mites, leafhoppers, and other insects. Sprinkle it inside your greenhouse, or outdoors on fruits, vegetable plants, flowers, grains, and grass up to and including the day of harvest.
Diatomaceous Earth controls insects by using physical, not chemical, action. It punctures an insect's exoskeleton and absorbs its body fluids thus posing no harm to warm-blooded life. It is the fossilized remains of microscopic shells created by one celled plants called DIATOMS. Not all deposits of diatomaceous earth or the diatoms present in those deposits are the same.

What is Diatomaceous Earth?

DIATOMITE (Diatomaceous Earth or “DE”) is a unique freshwater diatomaceous earth source found in Australia. Diatomite consists of the fossilized skeletal remains of microscopic single celled aquatic plants known as diatoms. These small plants developed a three-dimensional silicious shell like armour for protection, upon the death of these plants the fossil shells accumulated on the beds of these (FRESH) water lakes and compacted into lightweight porous rock, similar to glacial rock deposits.

Although Diatomaceous earth is found in many places around the world only a few Fresh water deposits are pure enough to be used as a horticultural growth promoting medium. Diatomite is composed primarily of Amorphous silicon dioxide (SILICA) containing almost no detectable crystallinity, in particular no cristobalite, tridymite or quartz were detectable, at detection limits of around 0.1%. With at least 15 other major, minor and trace elements, this 100% natural organic media is a biogenic source of silica as found in all life forms.

This rich source of plant available silica is documented to stimulate Self Acquired Resistance (SAR) in plants increasing their resistance to disease. Studies show the slow release of soluble silica promotes, stronger, healthier, higher yielding plants that can mature more quickly. This is the only growing medium that energizes and actually feeds your plants.

In it's non-crystalline form, Diatomite is a non-toxic, non-hazardous and environmentally friendly media. Our product is sterilized during processing so it will not swell, expand or contract and acts as an efficient thermal insulator.

Lightweight and highly absorbent Diatomite can absorb up to 150% of its own weight in water and nutrient, and releases it back to the plant as required. It minimizes leaching and run-off and significantly reduces watering.

Diatomite provides excellent lateral movement of water and nutrient throughout the media, it insulates, aerates and promotes capillary action and because it is multi-faceted, air is able to penetrate to the plants root zone without difficulty.

The PH of Diatomite is about 5.7 and has an electrical conductivity EC of 0.05 mS/cm, indicating little or no salt content making it an excellent growing medium for all plants. Diatomite can be used as a 100% hydroponics growing medium, and/or can be added to any other growing medium as well. (eg. soilless mixes, coco fibre, etc.)
Diatomite recycles as an excellent ground cover mulch which enhances aesthetic presentation without the decay which happens with barks and mulch ground covers. Diatomite when applied dry is a proven non-chemical, environmentally safe pest control.

From orchids to grapes, all greenhouse vegetables and fruit Diatomite provides an inexpensive, lightweight quality growing media for any horticultural need.

This last quote is from a Hydro store, it has info and some pricing. A person might want to look for a more suitable manufacturer closer to their home. Here is the link: https://www.diatomitecanada.com/horticultural-diatomaceous-earth.htm

Thanks for the tips! I do not have any pests currently, but will keep this in mind. We have also moved since the mite fiasco, so hopefully we left them in the dust. So far, no pests aside from the occasional gnat that comes in my soil.

We will do our picture update soon, maybe even tonight. Got to ask Mrs. Green about that. I'm sure she will do it if you all demand it.
Go ahead, give her hell! :cheesygrinsmiley:

Chrome, gently asking works as well. ;)
Alright, we just left the Grow Room and we're back with our arsenal of photos.

End of Week 5

IMG_9010.JPG

Veg Chamber

IMG_90041.JPG

2A bushing out to cover the entire pot.

IMG_9007.JPG

1A and its growing tip madness getting better looking every day.

IMG_9009.JPG

2D training well

IMG_9012.jpg

Flower Chamber

IMG_9013.JPG

IMG_9014.jpg

Supa huge!

IMG_90161.JPG

3 Sisters all growing up lovely

IMG_9017.JPG

The Tall Girl in Class towering over her peers

IMG_9019.JPG

Leaves showing signs of nitrogen deficiency, added Superlicious (high in nitrogen) during watering tonight

IMG_9020.jpg

The monster in the back

Hope you've enjoyed our picture update! Stay green, Growers.

Friggin' A gorgeous... :) Nice LST on the little ones, did you top those at all or is all that growth au natural? Bushy lil thangs.

Looks like some gnarly nugs coming in too, keep up the good work. Looks like they're getting closer... :thumb:

And awesome pics, Chef! :grinjoint:

Back
Top Bottom