Greenthumb J's BCNL Producer Grow - 800w DWC - First Grow Ever! Multi-Strain

Re: Greenthumb J's BCNL "Producer" grow. 800w DWC - first grow ever! Multi-Strain

Are the tiles and tub basin white? You might not need anything really ('cept maybe covering the wood.) Put the stopper in the tub and surround your buckets w/cold water with maybe some of those doodads people freeze and put in coolers for the temps...not saying I've ever done it or even that it would work, but I would think that might keep your reservoirs in line.

Re: Greenthumb J's BCNL "Producer" grow. 800w DWC - first grow ever! Multi-Strain

yea the tiles are white and very reflective as well the tub is white as well.. i like the idea of the cold water around the buckets. I just purchased a 6" clip fan to keep some nice breeze on the Plants.. i will see how the temps of those buckets get..

i also bought a better quality hygrometer while at walmart ($20 and digital) and put it into the grow box.. Temp says 26 degrees and 37% humidity with lights on. now lights are off as i changed the res a little late and the meter said 25 and humidity @ 40%

not a wizard here, but i think those numbers are okay no? maybe temp is a little high?

will post some pics shortly

wicked! i got the fan on low speed about 2.5-3 feet above the canopy blowing downwards on the plants. all in all.. they are looking like they love their new home..

Just blew out one of my 2 MH bulbs changing cables around.. forgot to remove it when i was unplugging the ballast, bulb blew.. good thing i have a second one, cause no where is open now!!!

the girlfriend will be happy she now has her bathroom outlet back for blowdrying her hair :rofl:

okay so heres a little photo of everything all where it should be. I think the fan is at the right height and i seem to have it at a good angle to blow some cooler air over the plants

i also took a couple shots of how they look now.. i'll just post one since they look the same.

My new fan, and all cords plugged in outside of the bathroom:
IMG_20140514_231114.jpg

and a quick shot of the Ladies:
IMG_20140514_231131.jpg

the temp in the bathroom is a little warm, actually like a larger version of my grow box it feels like. but maybe cause i'm sitting under a 400w MH bulb while i inspect the ladies hahah.. water temps feel good.. i have to get a decent thermometer for the water reservoirs as my PH pen keeps telling me the same temperature, but correct PH readings as its calibrated properly. The plants dont seem to be suffering at all so i'm gona say everything is going to plan.

All in all.. I am happy with how things are going.. Cant wait to start seeing some bud production in the growbox!

Thanks Radogast.. This DWC setup i have is actually really quite easy to maintain. I was reading a thread on Hydro vs. Organic (it should have said "Soil" instead cause you can do organic hydro using organic nutes) And everyone said that soil was easier for your first time around. I'm not sure that i agree with that..

This is my first ever grow. I don't think i would enjoy the hassle of mixing soil into individual pots, having to top water every couple of days and watch the water run off for ph imbalances.

With my DWC system.. i literally add nutrient filled water, check the ph after i add nutes (never have to add PH up or down this way. I used to balance water before adding nutes, then have to balance the water again.. i think the amount of PH up and down i was putting in at the start kinda caused the one widow to have chlorophyll issues) add the water to the reservoirs and put the airstones back in.. and viola! good to go..

On that note of top feeding.. i haven't had to top water the plants in well over a week. With the block covers that i have for my rockwool, the moisture stays at the top of the rockwool for a very long time, essentially keeping you out of the grow room and checking on issues less and less. i check the PH about 3 or 4 days after a res change and i change the water weekly. Usually only raises a point or two on the PH pen. However, I'm just an addict for looking at the plants everyday hahaha! i cant leave them alone, theyre so beautiful! But with the information i just gave.. one could set and forget for up to a week as long as temps and humidity stay at safe levels.

I now have 4" ducting from my exahust fan directly out a window in my spare room. keeps the smell out without having to use my carbon filter yet! the ladies are starting to smell delicious!

I almost feel like i have left nothing for me to do with this grow until it comes time for the weekly res changes :( and maybe the 21 day defol in flower.. only 19 days till then!

Thanks Calyx.. it really makes me feel proud to get such good, positive feedback not only on the health of the plants but my recent DIY addition to my bathroom.

I have to say its an amazing feeling of accomplishment. Asides from my loss of a lot of quality seed/seedlings, I think everything is now going without a hitch, and as long as temps outside dont get too hot so my apartment temp rises too much, i think the ladies in the flower box will grow some tasty buds. I'm particularly interested in my African landrace sativa (although it may not be a "landrace" anymore as i am growing it out of its native environments) because i cant seem to find a smoke report on it, but i have heard nothing but great things from this particular breeders seeds (Malberry seeds) and its psychoactive and sometimes even psychedelic highs that can last for hours.

I need to win the lottery so i can quit my day job and just grow full time haha, its much more fun than being paid to do something each and everyday!

Thanks Radogast.. This DWC setup i have is actually really quite easy to maintain. I was reading a thread on Hydro vs. Organic (it should have said "Soil" instead cause you can do organic hydro using organic nutes) And everyone said that soil was easier for your first time around. I'm not sure that i agree with that..

This is my first ever grow. I don't think i would enjoy the hassle of mixing soil into individual pots, having to top water every couple of days and watch the water run off for ph imbalances.

With my DWC system.. i literally add nutrient filled water, check the ph after i add nutes (never have to add PH up or down this way. I used to balance water before adding nutes, then have to balance the water again.. i think the amount of PH up and down i was putting in at the start kinda caused the one widow to have chlorophyll issues) add the water to the reservoirs and put the airstones back in.. and viola! good to go..

On that note of top feeding.. i haven't had to top water the plants in well over a week. With the block covers that i have for my rockwool, the moisture stays at the top of the rockwool for a very long time, essentially keeping you out of the grow room and checking on issues less and less. i check the PH about 3 or 4 days after a res change and i change the water weekly. Usually only raises a point or two on the PH pen. However, I'm just an addict for looking at the plants everyday hahaha! i cant leave them alone, theyre so beautiful! But with the information i just gave.. one could set and forget for up to a week as long as temps and humidity stay at safe levels.

I now have 4" ducting from my exahust fan directly out a window in my spare room. keeps the smell out without having to use my carbon filter yet! the ladies are starting to smell delicious!

I grok your point, Greenthumb J.

Soil is not as troublesome as you make it seem. For one thing, I am watering about once every 8-10 days in 5 gallon pots. The ONLY temperature I have to care about is the temperature at the leaves of the canopy. If the power fails the only thing that happens is darkness and stale air.

I half expect to go DWC on my second or third grow, which is why I put a 4x8' drop pan as the floor of my flowering room :) :)

I don't measure the ph as water exits the soil. #1 if the ph is changing, I have bad soil. That's the breaks. #2 I don't stress about the water ph within the range. Within range is within range. For the first 3 months of owning a swimming pool, I used to adJust, adjust, adjust ph. By year two, I only touched the pool twice a month to adJust the chlorine as temperature changed. By year 4, I spent 5 minutes every 4-6 weeks maintaining the pool.
:)

This brings me to a key point. Most of the growers here obsess like new parents. There's it's a wide range of growing styles and conditions that will work out just fine as long as you learn not to do stupid stuff !

I'm going to try DWC, but maybe only in spring and summer when I can pump water in and out of the brook without getting my toes cold.
And once I get the outdoor soil in this new house up to magnificent, I'll be potting with homegrown dirt.

I've big plans that still grow at a natural speed, maybe YEARS.

thanks for reminding me to dream :)

How old was the bulb? Most places have at least a one year warranty on them; it shouldn't have blown out just from unplugging it.

Flat White paint works, Panda film is cheap. 1$/ 10 sq feet. And I'm in Canada. They call it something different everywhere. Orca, panda black white polly.

Emergency blankets work too. I used them on my first veg box.

Duct tape sucks for hanging reflective shit. Tape kept heating up and melting the stickey shit then falling down. Wasn't cheap shit tape either. Packing tape worked best for me.

Yeah, I kinda agree with that. Soil's way easier, just longer to grow and seems to always attract the frick'in fruit flies/fungas knats whatever ya wanna call em. Lot more forgiving on small mistakes or eff ups also. I think seeds are easier and faster to grow than clones. Bad pheno seeds can still give something and do okay with small effort, but their darn clones are always a dissappointment and pain ime and not worth the bother if anything else is available to fill space. I think luck of the draw's actually the largest determining factor in what seems to be difficulties and success levels in various mediums...trying to work around bad beginning product's finicky needs. With that being said, even oxygenating the crap outa the feed water, soil's just a longer process. Trade off I guess for ease of growing; kinda boring also, lol.

I use Panda film also, couldn't get myself to pull the trigger on paying for Mylar and have no interest in piecemealing crap after my firsst indoor grow. I actually used the insides of roll your own tobacco pouches that time for my reflective walls, lmfao.

I grok your point, Greenthumb J.

Soil is not as troublesome as you make it seem. For one thing, I am watering about once every 8-10 days in 5 gallon pots. The ONLY temperature I have to care about is the temperature at the leaves of the canopy. If the power fails the only thing that happens is darkness and stale air.

I half expect to go DWC on my second or third grow, which is why I put a 4x8' drop pan as the floor of my flowering room :) :)

I don't measure the ph as water exits the soil. #1 if the ph is changing, I have bad soil. That's the breaks. #2 I don't stress about the water ph within the range. Within range is within range. For the first 3 months of owning a swimming pool, I used to adJust, adjust, adjust ph. By year two, I only touched the pool twice a month to adJust the chlorine as temperature changed. By year 4, I spent 5 minutes every 4-6 weeks maintaining the pool.
:)

This brings me to a key point. Most of the growers here obsess like new parents. There's it's a wide range of growing styles and conditions that will work out just fine as long as you learn not to do stupid stuff !

I'm going to try DWC, but maybe only in spring and summer when I can pump water in and out of the brook without getting my toes cold.
And once I get the outdoor soil in this new house up to magnificent, I'll be potting with homegrown dirt.

I've big plans that still grow at a natural speed, maybe YEARS.

thanks for reminding me to dream :)

Perhaps I just enjoy the ease of DWC? It has given me no troubles as long as water res stays clean. I don't like the idea of mixing soil in my apartment as well as having to transplant when roots become root bound.

The DWC I can put them right in 5gal buckets an go till the end, and with my new setup, pH doesn't fluctuate hardly at all.. So I am basically on cruise control now.

When I get my new space yo play with, I'll do soil for the mothers I think. Maybe a full soil grow too

I'm gona throw a couple emerg blankets up and see how that goes.. Just gona roll like that till the end of the year when I move

Perhaps I just enjoy the ease of DWC? It has given me no troubles as long as water res stays clean. I don't like the idea of mixing soil in my apartment as well as having to transplant when roots become root bound.

The DWC I can put them right in 5gal buckets an go till the end, and with my new setup, pH doesn't fluctuate hardly at all.. So I am basically on cruise control now.

When I get my new space yo play with, I'll do soil for the mothers I think. Maybe a full soil grow too

Nah man, do what works for you that you're comfortable with and have "dialed in." I don't grow in soil anymore either.

I plan to stick with hydro.. Maybe try different methods, but I wanna see the difference between soil and DWC.. I know veg time will be less with DWC, but i wanna see the taste/potency differences between the two methods first hand. DWC tho I can do more grows a year, thus providing more medication for my roommate and girlfriend.

Back
Top Bottom