Grow #2: Outdoor/CFL Auto 420 Blueberry & AK-47 Smart Pots With Dr Earth Soil

It's Tuesday and the rain hasn't left yet, so everything is still tucked in the shed. I undid the oval of brightness® to get a couple of pics though, and I noticed that AK 7 has dried out already. Looks like I have to get up early tomw and mix nutes! Storm should be gone by then.

Here is Blue 4 on day 102(!):

20180109_081457.jpg

AK 7 on day 100:

20180109_081429.jpg

And I managed to get a pic of the bud that got sprayed with neem. I still see white pistils on it so I'm not sure on the old trope that neem oil turns your pistils brown. Maybe I sprayed the bare minimum?

20180109_081621.jpg

Put on your "unknown Inuit word that sounds like karmikluke" to stay warm and dry!

Let's hope they are gone buddy I prayed to the cannabis pest control unit the other day .

Let's see if they answers for a brotha .

Wednesday and the sun is out. Big photo dump with high contrast! First, I watered today because AK 7 was dry. Blue 4 was not all that dry but I gave them both a gallon. Blue 4 had more runoff with a higher PPM differential because it wasn't done with what I gave it last time, but tough noogies. I mix, they get.

They each got a gallon of:
3 ml cal/mag+
2 tsp Tiger Bloom

Nute PPM in was 570 and out was +150 for AK 7 and +400 for Blue 4. That was the last watering before the chop this weekend.

On to the pics..

Blue 4 on day 103:

20180110_083025.jpg

20180110_083242.jpg

20180110_083254.jpg

20180110_082833.jpg

AK 7 day 101:

20180110_083118.jpg

20180110_083304.jpg

20180110_083328.jpg

20180110_082918.jpg

Bugs are still not dead. I'm not thinking about them any more:

20180110_082716.jpg

I hope your Wednesday is bright in all ways possible!

I love your plants, the frost is very Whittaker, nice job.

Ok, I got one last thing you could try. As silly as it sounds, what about ground pepper? That stuff gets airbourne and it'll make your eyes burn like acid. What if that was shaken on your leaf backings. I think it may put a chocker hold on all those buggers. HAHAHAHAHAHA that's my last suggestion except...

If you can't beatem, joinem...

INtheshed2.jpg

Gnarly man

They do look good still tho! Nice chunky buds :3

That's enough for me .

Among other things! Veritable entomologist's dream under those leaves :). Ahh growing in the great outdoors...

Speaking of which, those close ups of the clusters of bugs you got would be a great way to design some new flies for the river this spring! It's hard to be a fisherman and a grower, on one side I love the bugs and they help me so much from understanding what and how they do it. In the other tent you need to kill most of the bugs that come in there. I's like split personality disorder bug just came to me!

Speaking of which, those close ups of the clusters of bugs you got would be a great way to design some new flies for the river this spring! It's hard to be a fisherman and a grower, on one side I love the bugs and they help me so much from understanding what and how they do it. In the other tent you need to kill most of the bugs that come in there. I's like split personality disorder bug just came to me!

You can add that to the next DSM!

Drive-by my friend..... BUGS SUCK................ But'''' is a good thing about these bugs,,,,, that problem can easily be fixed....

There is a cool product,,,
Safers Insecticidal Soap,,, that you can use up to say a week before harvest. Cheap and works great... The key word in that line is soap... And if your close to harvest,, soap in all you want. You can take your girl at lights off,,, spray down HEAVY with a ull dose... Wait 15-20 minutes, and wash once more with straight water... Then let dry.. The key that helps,, is blast the shit during your rinse. The soap will kind of suffucate the bugs and leave a slick surface,, which the rise will wash the bugs right outta her hair..... As bad as those pics look,,, it'll take acouple times 3 days apart. THat will knock out 95% if you spray well. But the second rise needs to water blast the dead bugs and eggs off so you can tell where your at.... GL Keepem Green

First, a request...just click Reply, DON'T Reply With Quote. Major pic dump coming and they don't need to be repeated which makes finding new comments really hard!

Yesterday (Saturday) was cannabis day all the way. I chopped, washed, rinsed, trimmed, and hung Blue 4 and AK 7; planted Sour G photo (other journal); and started the topical oil process (still cooking). Weight and thoughts about this grow at the very end. Here we go...

First pics of the two plants on chop-day.

Blue 4 on day 106:

20180113_095340.jpg

AK 7 day 104:

20180113_095658.jpg

One last shot of the family table:

20180113_100443.jpg

I washed in 8 ounces of H2O2 with ½ teaspoon of Dawn in about 64 ounces of water.

Here are the washed plants drying in front of the 2 foot box fan (off camera):

20180113_114612.jpg

Blue 4 hanging in the box:

20180113_131244.jpg

AK 7 hanging in the box:

20180113_140640.jpg

Scissor hash, mostly from the AK:

20180113_142740.jpg

Meet the Blue 4 root ball:

20180113_144759.jpg

Bigger than the AK 7 root ball:

20180113_145447.jpg

The two boxes got put in the shed with fans blowing on the lower holes, and then it was time for the next round of massage oil.

I took the 180 grams of larf and trim and put it into two pyrex trays. I also took 14 grams of cured Blueberry 1 and 8 grams of cured buds from the clone guy and made a sealed aluminum foil pod. They went into the oven at 240º. The cured bud came out after 70 minutes (rather than 60, to allow time for the heat to get through the foil), and after a lot of flipping and turning, the trim had dried after 90 minutes. I'm not sure whether the wet trim gets decarbed in that amount of time or whether it needs to be dried before you start counting decarb time, but either way, some THCa is beneficial in oil as well.

20180113_153528.jpg

I crumbled it all into the crock pot. Last time I put them in a blender, but I decided against that because I lost the trichomes that were stuck to the sides of the container. Since they weren't ground up, it took more oil than I had intended to cover the material with these two oils:

20180113_170657.jpg

13 ounces of each, total 26 ounces. Here it is getting ready for the slow cook:

20180113_171310.jpg

It took about an hour to get to temp (~200º) and then I let it stew for another 5 hours or so, monitoring it so the temp didn't get too high. I don't want it to decarb any more. It cooled over night and now is back on the heat for the second round. After it warmed up I used a potato-masher to make sure that the oil was getting all the goodness off the buds.

After another 4 hours I'll turn it off and let it cool, and then strain the oil with cheesecloth. Last time I reused the trim for another round of oil but there wasn't enough THC left in it to be effective, so I'll just freeze it until I can find some other use.

Now...on to the details:

Blue 4 at chop (pre-wash): 467 grams
Blue 4 fans post wash: 55 grams
Blue 4 trim post wash: 94 grams

AK 7 at chop (pre-wash): 367 grams
AK 7 fans post wash: 54 grams
AK 7 trim post wash: 86 grams

[There was a lot of larf and green buds. See below...]

Total wet trim weight: 180 grams
Weight of trim after drying: 46 grams (25%)
The cured bud went from 22 grams to 20 grams after decarb.
Total weight into crock pot: 66 grams

Thoughts on this outside winter auto grow:
This grow started slowly with fungus gnats attacking the roots, which made the plants smaller when they went into flower than I had intended. What I mean is that I was training for bigger plants that didn't stretch and that couldn't get spread out like Blue 2. I was left with plants that were so dense that a large number of the buds (or lower parts of the top buds) never got light. The density also allowed bugs to take over in areas that could never get touched by what I sprayed them with.

This is not so terrible for me, as I need a lot of bud to make the topical oil, but if I were doing this exact grow again just for smoking, I should probably have not trained them at all. When I look back at the shape of my untrained plants I can see that while my yield would have been lower, I would have a higher percentage of smokeable bud.

Hindsight is 20/20. The problem, of course, is you never know when your auto grow is going to go your way and when it has other plans. Going forward with outdoor winter autos, I would only do the serious LST on those that have a healthy start to their lives.

Thanks for reading all that, have a great Sunday, and remember, please don't Reply With Quote!

^^ read but please don't Reply With Quote
How about I reply to this one? Lol. Great tutorial there Mr shed. And another informative and fun grow!

Can you share what pain and issues the topical rub works best for? Sci was asking about arthritis and I had no idea what to suggests besides cbd for inflammation.... I know arctic bowls lotionnisngreat fronsore muscles and spasms but I Didnt have a conclusive answer as far as joint and bone pain. Thanks in advance!

SweetSue says that CBD oil isn't effective in topicals because it is not fast acting like THC. CBD is for internal use.

That said, I have found the oil helpful for toe arthritis (which is very close to the surface of the skin), migraines, hives, bites, tendonitis, and lower back pain. The stronger you make it the better it is so don't skimp on the bud/oil ratio! You'll have plenty of harvest so make a small batch (say 4 ounces) and give it a try. I think it was Oldbear who posted a spreadsheet to calculate oil strength on the Holy Grail Decarb page (search spreadsheet). That will give you an idea how strong yours will be. Mine is around 10mg/ml I think but only because I needed to add more oil than I had planned (in order to cover the buds). I was aiming for 15mg/ml. If you grind the bud you can use less oil to cover it.

Back
Top Bottom