Hutch's Canadian Grow Comparison Featuring Black Sugar

Update on the Seedsman Black Sugar grow, here are today's pictures
Day F35-1.JPG

Day F35-2.JPG

Seedsman Black Sugar - Flip Day 35 (Flower 24) - 10.5" tall - Two gallon pot

Sadly, we just discovered that we have a major thrip (I believe) infestation.
Day F35-3.JPG

You should be able to see them clearly if you zoom in. This is the first time we have had an insect problem so not exactly sure what to do. Is there a good guide here on how to deal with them?

Yesterday I was unable to get to the store so I sprayed all my plants with 2.5 tablespoons each of vegetable oil and Dawn detergent (pink) in a gallon of water. Underside and top of leaves and couldn't avoid spraying the flowers. This has helped on some of the plants.

Today I bought Safer's End-All (kind of foreboding in this year of the plague). It contains pyrethrin and "potassium salts of fatty acids". I couldn't actually go into the hardware store but had to tell them what I needed and wait while he found it, so I couldn't really see what was available, eg. mosquito dumps. So I think I'll wait to hear if anyone responds before I spray in case that product isn't safe.

Take care all!

Update on the Seedsman Black Sugar grow, here are today's pictures
Day F35-1.JPG

Day F35-2.JPG

Seedsman Black Sugar - Flip Day 35 (Flower 24) - 10.5" tall - Two gallon pot

Sadly, we just discovered that we have a major thrip (I believe) infestation.
Day F35-3.JPG

You should be able to see them clearly if you zoom in. This is the first time we have had an insect problem so not exactly sure what to do. Is there a good guide here on how to deal with them?

Yesterday I was unable to get to the store so I sprayed all my plants with 2.5 tablespoons each of vegetable oil and Dawn detergent (pink) in a gallon of water. Underside and top of leaves and couldn't avoid spraying the flowers. This has helped on some of the plants.

Today I bought Safer's End-All (kind of foreboding in this year of the plague). It contains pyrethrin and "potassium salts of fatty acids". I couldn't actually go into the hardware store but had to tell them what I needed and wait while he found it, so I couldn't really see what was available, eg. mosquito dumps. So I think I'll wait to hear if anyone responds before I spray in case that product isn't safe.

Take care all!
Not sure if you follow @Norcaliwood but he swears by Green Cleaner. He has dealt with pest in the past, maybe send him a message. I hope you get rid of them.

Hey Hutch I've battled thrips before and was able to control them pretty effectively using Dr. Bonner's Castile Soap. The unscented is the best I picked up a bottle awhile ago it was about $20 and it lasts a long time. You should spray the soap mix every other day for 2 weeks then reassess and see if they are still there. Much safer alternative to end all I wouldn't recommend spraying end all on your plants especially in flower.

Here is a link to mixing instructions to make your own soap mix it's the recipe I followed and it worked well for me.

I've never used the Green Cleaner on thrips. I've only had them onc years back and I used Safer Insectial Soap on them before.. Spray wait 15 minutes and rinse.. Nice thing about this product it's good with alot of pests... And it's also go to use soap and rinse to open the stomata or whatever the leaf pores are called that clog with dust and things....

Leaves the leaves feeling soft and supple,, even removes some of the heavier oils if used like neem...

But I'm not really familiar with them.. First off,,, don't they live in soil too??????? If that's true your going to need a drench of some sorts. Heres a fast read,,

Buds look amazing. You will take care of those little rotten bastards. Lots of help headed your way, cut them off at the pass. Happy growing. Magic.

Not sure if you follow @Norcaliwood but he swears by Green Cleaner. He has dealt with pest in the past, maybe send him a message. I hope you get rid of them.
Hey Hutch I've battled thrips before and was able to control them pretty effectively using Dr. Bonner's Castile Soap. The unscented is the best I picked up a bottle awhile ago it was about $20 and it lasts a long time. You should spray the soap mix every other day for 2 weeks then reassess and see if they are still there. Much safer alternative to end all I wouldn't recommend spraying end all on your plants especially in flower.

Here is a link to mixing instructions to make your own soap mix it's the recipe I followed and it worked well for me.
I've never used the Green Cleaner on thrips. I've only had them onc years back and I used Safer Insectial Soap on them before.. Spray wait 15 minutes and rinse.. Nice thing about this product it's good with alot of pests... And it's also go to use soap and rinse to open the stomata or whatever the leaf pores are called that clog with dust and things....

Leaves the leaves feeling soft and supple,, even removes some of the heavier oils if used like neem...

But I'm not really familiar with them.. First off,,, don't they live in soil too??????? If that's true your going to need a drench of some sorts. Heres a fast read,,

Love this site. Ask and the info just comes rolling in. A beautiful plant Hutch, you got this thrip problem. :peace: :Rasta:
Buds look amazing. You will take care of those little rotten bastards. Lots of help headed your way, cut them off at the pass. Happy growing. Magic.
Wow! Thank you so much guys! Glad I didn't use that spray! Just completed a nearly $100 dollar amazon order of various thrip killers, this is war!
  • Safer's Insecticidal Soap
  • Diatomaceous Earth
  • Nema Globe Pot Popper Organic Indoor Fungus Gnat & Insect Control (says they kill thrips)
  • Daycount Glue Trap Catcher Sticky Boards, Yellow Sticky Traps
All this stuff will be here tomorrow.

Wow! Thank you so much guys! Glad I didn't use that spray! Just completed a nearly $100 dollar amazon order of various thrip killers, this is war!
  • Safer's Insecticidal Soap
  • Diatomaceous Earth
  • Nema Globe Pot Popper Organic Indoor Fungus Gnat & Insect Control (says they kill thrips)
  • Daycount Glue Trap Catcher Sticky Boards, Yellow Sticky Traps
All this stuff will be here tomorrow.
You should be all set to get rid of them when your order comes in. Good Luck Hutch

I just used soap, water, and lemon juice on mine when I had them last grow. It was early in flower and no hairs at the time, so I sprayed every other day for 5 applications, I also used 4 parts water to 1 part hydrogen peroxide in the dirt to get the eggs. I never totally eradicated them, but I put a serious dent in them.

I just used soap, water, and lemon juice on mine when I had them last grow. It was early in flower and no hairs at the time, so I sprayed every other day for 5 applications, I also used 4 parts water to 1 part hydrogen peroxide in the dirt to get the eggs. I never totally eradicated them, but I put a serious dent in them.
...and you saved $100! I totally freaked-out when I figured out I had bugs. The Amazon package eased that anxiety as only spending money can!

Ended up just using the Safer's Insecticidal Soap. Seems to have done the job on the current batch. When they come back I might just use a q-tip dipped in the soapy liquid to paint infected areas as the flowers are almost done.

DE works great mixed with water as a spray (for the undersides) but never in flower. The dust works its way into everything and is impossible to wash out. Not good for the lungs.

:goodluck:
Thanks for this, I was just about to sprinkle it on the soil, not as a spray but still doesn't safe now that you mention it. One plant has only a week or so to go and the others have only a few more weeks. I guess it's best to treat the new hatchlings as they emerge by hand if possible without spraying the buds.

my PH from my municipal water is 7.8....so your saying whatever it is AFTER nutes added I dont need to PH? wow....maybe i'll try this and not PH at all for my next grow. :idea:

@HutchBenedict ....what is PH of the water your using? Ill definitely be keeping an eye to see how your grow goes without adding PH down or UP!
My water is around 7.0, haven't ph'd for several grows now.

Here's an update for the Seedsman Black Sugar.

The Safer's Insecticidal Soap worked like a charm and added a layer of diatomaceous earth to the surface. Meanwhile I didn't notice an expanding potassium lockout (I believe). Since have reduced MC from 6.0 to 5.0 and things are looking better I think.

Day F51-1.JPG
Day F51-2.JPG
Day F51-3.JPG

Seedsman Black Sugar - Flip Day 51 (Flower 40) - 8.5" tall - Two gallon pot

There should be ten days to two weeks left according to the breeder which seems about right based on a few ambers on sugar leaves and the lack of white hairs. Can't wait to try this out but not expecting much of a yield.

Take care folks!

Morning Hutch. We are pretty much on the same time line . Except you are in soil and I am in hydro. It has been a week or more sinse I have noticed any amount of new pistils. The buds do seem to be getting denser but hard to tell. True measure will be the scale. Black Sugar's sister Gelat OG looks like she will produce about a third more but looks can be deceiving. :peace: :Rasta:

Hey Hutch,
How goes it?! How are the ladies doing?
Hey man! Grow complete, final yield was a measly 34 grams. So many errors along the way was surprised to get even that. Gotta admit, though, Black Sugar is tasty as heck and very potent. Still have a seed left so looking forward to growing this again and this time taking some clones.

Thanks for the support! Hope you can get something going again, really enjoyed doing this comparison grow and would love to do another!

Hi Hutch. ? was that 34g. wet or dry. hopefully dry. Glad you are liking it . I am looking forward to harvest in the next week or maybe two, but don't think so. I am guessing at around 100 g's for the Black Sugar but the Gelat OG growing in the exact environment will double that. Can never really tell until it hits the scale. Stay safe and enjoy that new smoke. :peace: :lot-o-toke:

Hi Hutch. ? was that 34g. wet or dry. hopefully dry. Glad you are liking it . I am looking forward to harvest in the next week or maybe two, but don't think so. I am guessing at around 100 g's for the Black Sugar but the Gelat OG growing in the exact environment will double that. Can never really tell until it hits the scale. Stay safe and enjoy that new smoke. :peace: :lot-o-toke:
Thanks! That was dry weight. Nice dense buds.

Back
Top Bottom