Icemud Holy Grail OG - Kali Kandi - SoCalDam OG - XJ-13 - Organic - Soil - Smartpots

Re: Icemud Holy Grail OG - Kali Kandi - SoCalDam OG - XJ-13 - Organic - Soil - Smartp

Sorry to hijack but can someone explain the brown bag curing strategy? I have never seen this done before.

Re: Icemud Holy Grail OG - Kali Kandi - SoCalDam OG - XJ-13 - Organic - Soil - Smartp

Very nice Icemud, agree with the 12, would be a great entry.

1970's to my understanding the brown bag allows moisture to be draw to the outside of the buds, burping releases the moisture before wrapping back up again, this give better overall consistent moisture throughout the buds before going into air tight jars to cure. I could be wrong!

+ Reps Icemud :goodjob:

Like the shots in the paper bag. Those look great good work on the trimming/manicuring. Enter those in NOTM for March!

Great Idea Twelve12, got a few different choices to go with so not sure which will be best...maybe a close up and a bag shot... :)

Sorry to hijack but can someone explain the brown bag curing strategy? I have never seen this done before.

Very nice Icemud, agree with the 12, would be a great entry.

1970's to my understanding the brown bag allows moisture to be draw to the outside of the buds, burping releases the moisture before wrapping back up again, this give better overall consistent moisture throughout the buds before going into air tight jars to cure. I could be wrong!

+ Reps Icemud :goodjob:

Hey 70sgrower and Godspeed! Godspeed, thanks for getting to the answer quicker than me, been having computer issues lately but I think I got the bugs out this time, no sticky cards needed...lol

Yeah the bags are for me an easy place to let the buds get good air exposure when they get too moist in the jars. I have been monitoring my RH% in the jars and once they get above 60%, out of the jars they come, into the paper bags for a few hours (closed or open depends on how dry the room air is, and how wet the buds are.) The semi permiable layer allows the moisture to suck out of the buds much slower than just leaving them in open air, where they have a chance of drying too fast... This is the first time trying the paper bag method and I wont really know until the end when the buds are cured for about a month...

I am still trying to get the drying curing process down since this is only my 2nd harvest ever... I tried an experiement with the 2 holy grail OG's. The first one was chopped and put into jars only after 4 days of drying, and buds were very moist. The 2nd Holy Grail OG was dried for about 6-7 days and was very crispy to the touch on the outside when jarred. I am curious what differences the extra drying will produce.... (more green color or less, better full flavor or less, smoke harshness, bud burning) things like that...

Well I started to pull out the rootballs the other day and started to get ready to clean my grow area, and much to my supprize I must have messed up pretty good in my grow, and I may have found the reason that the plants took so long to harvest...

When pulling out my rootballs out of the smartpots I notice 1 big similarity.... The roots were very very dense and fiberous, looked like feathers almost...but I noticed that the main rootball/structure, was only about 1/2 way down into my smartpots......hmmmm could I have been watering too frequently and didn't allow the roots to fill the entire smartpot? Or was I dumping in my nutrient feedings at too low of a ph, and stunting root growth towards the lower portion of my pots? (ph sometimes was high 4's and low 5's)
Has anyone else experienced this before??
DSC042201.JPG
DSC042191.JPG
DSC04218.JPG
DSC042171.JPG

I had some great natural sunlight coming in my window yesterday so decided to use it to snap some shots of the curing and finished buds...

Holy Grail OG, Plant #2
DSC042211.JPG
DSC042221.JPG
DSC04223.JPG

Holy Grail OG, Plant #1 curing for about 2 weeks longer than plant 2
DSC04227.JPG

Xj-13
Been curing for over a month now
DSC04228.JPG

Kali Kandi
been curing for well over a month...by far the best flavoring, smelling one I have so far....a tiny .5 bud could easily smell up a room...
DSC04231.JPG

Real nice job!! I cant wait to see the final dry wt. I just got done reading both your journals and very detailed! You said you got the recipe for your soil from subcool? Ive heard a lot of controversy surrounding him, but what did u think about the soil? I am doing a lot of research on organics, as im new to growing MMJ. :thanks: and :goodjob: :thumb:

Real nice job!! I cant wait to see the final dry wt. I just got done reading both your journals and very detailed! You said you got the recipe for your soil from subcool? Ive heard a lot of controversy surrounding him, but what did u think about the soil? I am doing a lot of research on organics, as im new to growing MMJ. :thanks: and :goodjob: :thumb:

Hey Mikey, thanks for tuning into my grows and I am very happy that you liked the details.... I learned from other's on this forum, so decided to recipricate the info to others as well.... I am happy that others are enjoying :)

The Idea for my soil was from the subcool's supersoil mixture, but the ingredients weren't the same, or the amounts. (just the general, multi layered soil in pots...)

I actually got my ratio's from a Norcal Grower buddy of mine who constantly has some of the best nugs I have tasted, consistantly, so I borrowed some of his style...

You may want to check out some of DOC BUD's journals here on 420mag...He also has been toying with different Organic soil compositions, and he has a ton of detail and explanation into everything he applies....really good information too...

Sorry for the delay on my response...my computer HDD crashed and its been a 2 week battle restoring everything and redo'ing my computer....I also had a bunch of resources saved about organic growing, but no longer have them due to my computer issues.

I would recommend just doing some google searches for these things.....

organic nutrients, CEC, mychorrizae, organic fertilizers, soil-food web, loam, cation and anion exchange, micro and macro plant nutrients, soil PH...

These things should be a good base to understand organics well...

Grow #2 Final weigh in....

Well everyone....I'm sorry for being away for a week or 2, my computer has been giving me issues and finally after a new HDD and 2 weeks of IT work....I am back up and running.....

So Here is what everyone has been waiting for, the final weigh in totals and stats....

Here they are...

Total Weight of 2nd Grow (dry weights)

Xj-13- 57.4 grams
Kali Kandi- 99grams
OG101 (plant #1) 56.5grams
OG101 (plant #2) 85grams + around 10grams test buds and second harvest.
Holy Grail OG (plant #1) 121.6 grams
Holy Grail OG (plant #2) 128 grams

Total Weight for all 6 plants
547.6 grams or 19.5 OZ's....so just about 1.25lbs.!!!!!!
Average per plant 91.2g (approx 3.25oz per plant)
Grams per watt 1000/547.6 = .547g/watt

Total cost on grow #2

Equipment purchased (estimated amounts off memory)
hygrozyme 24$
earthjuce grow 25$
earthjuice bloom 13$
earthjuice micro 15$
earthjuice catalyst 13$
ADv Nutr Organic B 30$
Adv Nutrients Liquid carboload 20$
Adv Nutrients H2 Humic acid 25$
Advanced Nutrients F1 Fulvic acid 25$
general organics cal/mag 15$
reverse osmosis system/water 180$ + about 150$ for water before R/O install
Fox Farms Ocean forest soil.... 15$
Happy Frog potting soil 15$
smart pots x6 3$ = 18$

electricity costs...estimated for grow...

veg stage...
Veg 1st week 24/0 @400w= 67.2kwh
Veg Week 2 thru 1st day flower, 46 days @ 400w = 331.2kwh
kilowatt hours used

bloom stage 12 hrs per day x 1100w...
started 11-8-11 thru 2-22-12, 104 days flowering from 12/12
1100w x 12 hrs per day..
kilowatt hours used..1372.8kwh

price per kwh = .19$ x 1372.8= 260$ for the entire grow...(plus about 100$ for the following reason)

I did not include in the overlap of 400w and 600w light time in veg, so the figure is probably about 100$ under what it actually was, but I didn't want to take the time to figure it all out on the exact....

Total cost for this grow....NOT INCLUDING ELECTRIC AND WATER>>

Approx $221 for nutrients and growing materials
Water cost for entire grow (including RO system) = 320$
Electricity Cost for entire grow... estimated $260 +/- 100$ = 360$

Total Cost for the grow: 901$ closely estimated to actual costs..
Total Cost per gram= $1.65

I hope you all have enjoyed following along with my 2nd grow and I appreciate all the help, advice, support and respect from fellow members.... I can't wait to get on to grow #3.... still deciding what strains to run, and will be a few weeks before I break ground on these ladies....

I like your style. THis is your second grow journal and I like yours as well as anyones.:high-five: THe recap math is great stuff.:goodjob: ....and you presented it very well.

THe pictures!!! almost everyday we would get beautiful shots of the scrog to make my mouth water.

Fantastic numbers, and a very entertaining, valuable learning resource for me from start to finish. I watched this grow carefully as it had a lot to offer.:welldone

Thanks

Awesome results! Great breakdown - I love that you included expenses. One of the best recaps I've seen. :high-five:

Nicely done, Icemud, I can't wait to follow your next grow. Do you have some strains in mind that you'll be choosing from? Interesting about your soil/smart pots. I use Smartpots with Coco now, and the one thing I've noticed is how quickly the roots shoot to the bottom... So, I have no idea what was going on with yours in soil. Crazy!

Great grow - are you going to stick with SCROG - if so, anything you'll change?

:welldone:

Thanks everyone for the compliments on my journal and thank you for sharing the experience with me!!!!

@ XLR8
I think I may know what I did wrong with the smartpots, I believe that either I was not letting the soil dry out enough, so there was not enough oxygen to support healthy root growth and micropopulation growth...or I sometimes was dumping my organic feedings in at very low ph readings...sometimes as low as 4.5 and 5ph which I think I may have created too low of a ph where the soil was saturated, therefor creating a unfit rootzone in the lower parts of my pots...just my spectulations, but I think that may be the cause...

Ahh next grow... well I'm still unsure at this time what strains I would like to run...The holy grail OG turned out so full, yeilded huge, and is potent as hell, so I possibly may give them another run. I also am curious about this strain called "donkey Punch kush" which is a killer cross of BOG Sour bubble x skywalker, which is called donkey smurf kush, and then its crossed again with blackberry kush to make "donkey punch" I know that skywalker and blackberry quite frequently I see around the 20% THC mark so I feel this would be a very strong cross, but still have to do a little more research on it... I also would love to run some blue dream and GDP because those are some of my all time favorites but really still not sure yet... Overall out of my 2nd grow, the holy grail og was probably the most potent, and the kali kandi was by far the best smelling, tasting and smoking one i grew... so even re-running the kali kandi may be an option...

I have a ton of gifted seeds as well, along with bagseeds I've collected over time from killer strains but I think I may wait to pop the seeds until I get a 2nd tent to run a perpetual...

As far as the Scrog, I feel for my tent size its my best option for growing so I will stick with the scrog this 3rd round...however, I would like to lower the sides of the scrog screen a bit, the sharp angle on the edges doesn't promote the "scrog" effect as good as the horizontal screen due to different tropisms and auxin triggers being triggered by the horizontal training. It does however bring the edges closer to the light which I like, so I am going to try to find a happy medium inbetween.

I hopefully will get the next grow started within the next few weeks, tent has already been cleaned and bleached and is ready to have some fresh babies.... can't wait to get started but have a few other priorities I have to sort out before starting round 3... shouldnt be long though :)

@ 70sgrower....thanks so much for following along my journal, for your help and support, and for your compliments!!! very much appreciated. Good luck with the MoTM contest...you deserve it man!!!

congrats icemud that weigh in is a NICE one. im glad to see your pulling in weight like that you've done a great job. i had fun reading through your weigh in all the extra info was perfect and leaves no stone unturned with your details. great job and great grow bud:high-five:

Watering too soon is a fear of mine as is not enough water. To promote growth I will feed from the bottom the second watering after transplant. The first watering I saturate. The second watering is wicked up from the tray. The roots have no choice but to seek out the bottom.

The other thing I do is that I weigh and measure my plants each watering. For instance in a 3 gallon pot, I water to a certain weight. ....somewhere between 12 and 13 pounds depending on the amount of foilage. I weigh before feeding and after and record all this in a spreadsheet. Using the spreadsheet I subtract the current unwatered weight from the full weight after the previous watering. This gives me usage. With this I also get a daily consumption average. I can usually predict the exact hour the plant will start to wilt as I know how much a dry wilting plant weighs.

The scale I use is only 1.5" tall and can easily be slid under a plant. I assume it could be done in a scrog also.

One reason I do this is that if I see consumption down for a plant, I know something is wrong before I see it in the leaves. A plant with nutrient or environment issues will not consume as much water as a health plant of the same size.

Not sure if this helps but I thought I would toss it in.

Watering too soon is a fear of mine as is not enough water. To promote growth I will feed from the bottom the second watering after transplant. The first watering I saturate. The second watering is wicked up from the tray. The roots have no choice but to seek out the bottom.

The other thing I do is that I weigh and measure my plants each watering. For instance in a 3 gallon pot, I water to a certain weight. ....somewhere between 12 and 13 pounds depending on the amount of foilage. I weigh before feeding and after and record all this in a spreadsheet. Using the spreadsheet I subtract the current unwatered weight from the full weight after the previous watering. This gives me usage. With this I also get a daily consumption average. I can usually predict the exact hour the plant will start to wilt as I know how much a dry wilting plant weighs.

The scale I use is only 1.5" tall and can easily be slid under a plant. I assume it could be done in a scrog also.

One reason I do this is that if I see consumption down for a plant, I know something is wrong before I see it in the leaves. A plant with nutrient or environment issues will not consume as much water as a health plant of the same size.

Not sure if this helps but I thought I would toss it in.

Very solid advice! I usually use the pot lifting method until the start branching all crazy through the screen, then its a little difficult to judge the weight. But I like the Idea of weighing it out, and then plotting when to water based on consumption. Thumbs up!!!

This was the first time trying smartpots, and definitely was very impressed in the way that the roots seemed to just branch out into fibers everywhere, but will have to make sure that they use the full pots next round. I think I am going to start them off in 2 gallon plastics and then a few weeks into veg put them into the smartpots to see if I can get a more solid rootball that covers the bottom too... I love playing around and trying different things, and with everyone here at 420 Mag, man, its hard to go wrong :) :420::bravo:

your plants look so beautiful, you have to tell me how you lollipop your plants like that!

Very much appreciate the compliment Ilike! I think I did most of the lolipopping near flower, but while still in veg, and slowly took of more and more as need be. Any shoots that seemed to be strong and eventually going to make it up to the canopy I left, but any that were weak or never going to make it I cut...

The ones cut make for great clones too, especially because from what I have read, the lowest branches host the most concentration of the hormone that forces rooting.. :)

congrats icemud that weigh in is a NICE one. im glad to see your pulling in weight like that you've done a great job. i had fun reading through your weigh in all the extra info was perfect and leaves no stone unturned with your details. great job and great grow bud:high-five:

Very much appreciate the props chiefin! I am happy that I at least matched my last grow of over a lb, my next one I really want to shoot for 2lbs, but overall I am happy if the buds turn out good, because I'm still learning... So far I am really impressed with the way this round turned out, even with the crazy yellow leaf dying off episode and crazy low ph issues...the smoke is very potent! Cant wait to get started on the next round...Much appreciate you following along and for your help and encouragement!

Back
Top Bottom