Icemud's 2018 Journal: Pine Tar Kush Pheno Hunt & More

Hey Ice, How many seeds did you get from the last pollination?

I think you could be the Johnny Appleseed of cannabis if ya wanted to.:goodjob:

I don't even know... 28 gram baggies stuffed with seeds, I would estimate (based on seed size) each baggie could hold 150-300 seeds, so lets say 200 per baggie...

28 baggies x 200 = 5,600 seeds? I would say that's probably an overestimate but I would have to say at least a few thousand.

Oh yea.. I don't know if I mentioned it, but I came across a pest I've never had to deal with yet in my 7 years of growing... whiteflys...

They definitely don't seem to be a huge threat. I sprayed my plants with a mix of neem oil, and spinosad and the next day I didn't see any... although spinosad is prohibited for use in most "legal" commercial grows, I don't see any reason why not to use it... its OMRI organic, its a biopesticide that naturally occurs in the soil via bacteria, it can be used on food crops all the way up to harvest, it can be sprayed or used systemically, and it is wide spectrum so it kills many different types of pests...

I also looked up the SDS sheet and the EPA even states with reasonable certainty that spinosad will not cause no harm to the population or to infants. It is very low toxic if swallowed, it does not cause cancer or reproductive harm, inhalation is unlikely to cause any effects, practically non toxic to birds, bioconcentration is very low, and the only thing that it is harmful to is molluscs and slightly to fish. It even degrades in sunlight and breaks down in soil.

Spinosad is virtually one of the safest pesticides to use on plants.. however, to be honest, they haven't tested it on "smokable plants"

I honestly don't understand why its even banned for commercial cannabis production as there are nutrients that are approved that are far more harmful to the environment and humans... yet spinosad is banned and they are ok.. figures.. right?

Anyhow, being a compliance guy in the legal market I have really started to become a freak when it comes to clean cannabis, however spinosad is one of the few "prohibited" pesticides I draw big question marks why its not allowed and I feel comfortable using it as it is effective against thrips, whiteflys, fungus gnats, aphids, spider mites.. you name it..!

Anyhow after a few days and only 1 spray I saw only 1 remaining whitefly, and they seem to have only attacked my Skywalker OG.. they must love the force!!!! anyhow they are on the outs... and my plants will continue to build some amazing genetic babies :) yes!!!

Be sure you eradicate. I had 'em and they adapt very quickly. And it's easy to disregard them because, as you say, they don't do much damage to the plants. But they'll keep coming back and coming back if you don't knock them completely out.

:thumb:

Hey everyone!!!

Day 31 Flowering in the Deep Chunk Project!!!

Well I have to say, things are definitely taking a nice turn in the project. Up until a few days ago I wasn't really seeing any trichomes on the Deep Chunks and when doing a nice brush of the buds, and smelling my fingers there was hardly any smell/terps that were noticeable. All of my "clone" plants are frosty and have tremendous terps but the deep chunks just weren't doing it so far. It seems that when I use "blurple" type LED's vs white based ones, it seems the blurples just produce more frost so I decided to take the 2 budmaster HPS lights out, and put in my Advanced LED XTE's which are blurple a few days ago. A couple days went by and definitely I see an uptick of more trichomes, so whether it was the light, or just that time in the period the deep chunks are starting to frost up!

I did a light finger rub on a few of the chunks today, and still very little smell at all, which is kind of disappointing. 2 of them definitely have a noticable old school kush smell to them, but the rest just don't seem to really smell like anything yet, so I hope this changes as we swing closer to the finish. (only mid flowering now).

Anyhow I still have been rotating feedings between organic and synthetic and the plants really do seem to like the mixture. I will definitely keep doing this for the upcomming seed projects as mixing synthetics is so much easier.. (with earth juice organics, it takes 48 hours to bubble to bring the PH up, and timing is extremely hard).

I also yanked the 2 male plants out of the tent last week. I have to say, so far the deep chunk males were the biggest pollen producers so far that I have encountered. These males literally every day were just releasing pollen like crazy, tons of pollen! I managed to get a little pollen in a ziplock bag, and cut the pollen sacks off and put them in a plastic bag with the top open hoping that they will dry and I can collect more pollen. If not, no biggy as I will have plenty of seeds to toy with in the future.

Also, the whiteflies are gone... at least I haven't seen any in a week or 2. I sprayed the girls with a mix of spinosad and neem oil and made sure to cover tops and bottoms of all of the leaves. I sprayed only 2x and it seemed to do the trick, spacing the spraying out about 1 week between them to allow for any larvae to hatch and then get sprayed.

Well other than that, here are the photos:

Full Tent

Deep Chunk

Trainwreck

Mendo Grape Kush

Veg: Sour Grapes Project

Update:

Well not much to update here with the sour Grapes project other than the girls keep getting larger with each day passing. 2 of the sour grapes seem to have a slight deficiency issue, so I am not sure if they are more finicky than the others, or maybe the soil stayed wetter than the others but I will be giving them some plain water the next few feedings and maybe a compost tea to add some microbes to the soil.

Other than that, not much else to report on as of now.

Looks good Icemud! Im curious to see what becomes of the Monkey Balls. And i really hope she picks up for you in the smell/terp department. Maybe its a lil early?
Also just wanted to add...
I also recently switched to Quantum Boards from my old blurples , and honestly, i've been kind asking myself the same exact thing. "Why did it seem that my plants got frostier under blurple?"
Not sure if the lights i used to run on them (Marshydro) would grow them better, stress them more wich in turn provoked her to put out more trich's, or did the trich's just look more prominent in the blurple light?" Know what i mean? I dont know... smh...
In your case though...Advanced xte's are some bass-asses! Marshyro (at least the older panels i have) were pretty damn good starter lights. Cheap enough to get set up quick, and get your indoor learning curve on!
Anyways, lost my train of thought and gots to go to work now! Lol!
I'll be a watchin n waitin....
You all have a wonderful day! Peace!

*door closes and Sparks walks off whistlin*

"....i owe....i owe....so off to work i go....."

Those monkey balls are gonna be some awesome kush!

So far I'm actually not too pleased with the monkey balls.... Only 1 of the 5 females actually has good bud structure, and 2 of the 5 have decent trichome development. None of them have terps that are really strong so I'm kind of hoping things change for the better but right now they just seem decent... They may make for some interesting crosses though so we will see.

Looks good Icemud! Im curious to see what becomes of the Monkey Balls. And i really hope she picks up for you in the smell/terp department. Maybe its a lil early?
Also just wanted to add...
I also recently switched to Quantum Boards from my old blurples , and honestly, i've been kind asking myself the same exact thing. "Why did it seem that my plants got frostier under blurple?"
Not sure if the lights i used to run on them (Marshydro) would grow them better, stress them more wich in turn provoked her to put out more trich's, or did the trich's just look more prominent in the blurple light?" Know what i mean? I dont know... smh...
In your case though...Advanced xte's are some bass-asses! Marshyro (at least the older panels i have) were pretty damn good starter lights. Cheap enough to get set up quick, and get your indoor learning curve on!
Anyways, lost my train of thought and gots to go to work now! Lol!
I'll be a watchin n waitin....
You all have a wonderful day! Peace!

*door closes and Sparks walks off whistlin*

"....i owe....i owe....so off to work i go....."

I actually started off with mars II LEDs which were the first ones I used after converting from HID lighting.. they were ok, for the price they weren't bad and did produce decently. I'm inbetween on the "white" full spectrum lights. Until I really do a controlled side by side I won't really know which is better but so far the Advanced XTE's have definitely peformed well, same with the budmaster cobs and God series lights... I don't know if its placebo or not but yea the blurples seem to bring more frost.. not sure why... the white lights seem to bring more yield though so its hard to say... LOL..

Still have my ceramic metal halides too in storage... havent used them in years but didn't have the heart to sell them as they were awesome!

Have a great week!!

I will update my journal with a grow update maybe tonight or tomorrrow... had a little news I wanted to share...

So...

I finally got my hands on some REAL Pine Tar Kush.. not hazemans "PTK" which is mislabeled 79 Xmas Bud. Dont get me wrong, the Xmas Bud was fantastic and I definitely will be running it again in the future, but hazemans is not Pine Tar kush...

So CSI Humboldt did a seed increase of PTK with over 200 plants, half were purple and half stayed green but all were Tom Hills Pine Tar kush... I pestered them to list them on their website so I could buy some, and they did!!!! Needless to say, I now have CSI Humboldt's Pine Tar Kush in my possession!!! SWEET!

I already know what my next seed project will be after the Sour Grapes are done!! PTK baby!!! yea!

So far I'm actually not too pleased with the monkey balls.... Only 1 of the 5 females actually has good bud structure, and 2 of the 5 have decent trichome development. None of them have terps that are really strong so I'm kind of hoping things change for the better but right now they just seem decent... They may make for some interesting crosses though so we will see.
Sorry you're disappointed with the Monkey Balls, Bro. Hopefully they grow you some strong meds!

I just popped four PTK seeds to hopefully do some crosses, too. One of the PTK's (#3) sprouted upside down, with the taproot sticking straight in the air and shell rooted in the soil. I flipped her over and she did sprout, but she's a pretty screwy looking seedling. Checkout PTK #3 in this post:

Tales From The Krip!

Did you see anything like that with any of your PTK's? How about with anything else? :rofl:

I will update my journal with a grow update maybe tonight or tomorrrow... had a little news I wanted to share...

So...

I finally got my hands on some REAL Pine Tar Kush.. not hazemans "PTK" which is mislabeled 79 Xmas Bud. Dont get me wrong, the Xmas Bud was fantastic and I definitely will be running it again in the future, but hazemans is not Pine Tar kush...

So CSI Humboldt did a seed increase of PTK with over 200 plants, half were purple and half stayed green but all were Tom Hills Pine Tar kush... I pestered them to list them on their website so I could buy some, and they did!!!! Needless to say, I now have CSI Humboldt's Pine Tar Kush in my possession!!! SWEET!

I already know what my next seed project will be after the Sour Grapes are done!! PTK baby!!! yea!
Nice find! :high-five:

So...

Thats good news! I've been wanting to try their PTK and Chem 91. I think you and Pennywise have had them in you guys grow journals, but past time for me to at least add some to my seed collection. Whether or not i have time to run them all is q whole 'nother story! Lol!
Have a good day gentlemen...
*tips hat and exits...stage left*

Back
Top Bottom