InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Phew! It looks like the holidays slowed your thread down, Shed. :laughtwo: I was worried I'd come back to 10 or more pages to catch up on.

Hope you and your family had a lovely holiday. :love:

...here's something I have in my notes from a non active member here on his process...don't think he would mind...

"I start with at least 2 ounces of dried bud (doesn't have to be cured), I wouldn't go any less than 1 ounce of bud.
I decarb the bud at 240 for 1 hour if it's THC only or 75 minutes if CBD is present.
Store the decarbed bud, mason jar, wooden spoon and the everclear in the coldest freezer you have for 24 hours minimum.
After coming out of the deep freeze put the frozen buds into the frozen jar and smash them up with the frozen wooden spoon.
completely cover the bud with the cold everclear and put the top on and shake the mixture for 4 minutes.
Strain the bud using 160-180 micron bag (the little bag that comes with the MB2e will work it's just small. Coffee filters will work too.
Put the strained bud back into your mixing jar and cover with everclear again. Shake for 4 more minutes and strain.
Throw out the strained bud you're done with it now.
I strain into a large glass container (in the step above) and then pour that into a clean mason jar seal and put the mixture back into the deep freeze for another 24 hours.
After the 24 hours are up you should see some separation at the bottom of the jar, that's the plant waxes coming out. Don't shake the jar. I have a small set of bubble bags I use to strain everything so at this point I pour the mixture through the smallest micron bag I have (25 micron) to catch the wax into the Distiller. Like I said in the post before I pour it into the distiller I fill a mason jar with the same amount of water as the mixture and pour the water into the distiller jug (it looks like a big coffee pot) and put a piece of tape where I want to stop the distiller, I shoot for 10% left in the distiller.
Pour the water out of the jug and run the distiller until you get to your mark.
While that is doing it's thing I boil a large pot of water on a hotplate.
I pour the remaining mixture out of the distiller into a ceramic nonstick pan and place that over the boiling water (the pan should fit fairly tight).
The alcohol will start boiling off, it smells so a little fan may be needed. You definitely don't want any open flame to do this.
Once all the alcohol is boiled off (no more bubbles) you'll have a thick dark oil left in the pan. I have the wife use a little spatula to help pool the oil together and I draw it up into 1 ml syringes. The little bit I can't get into the syringes, we put into a little silicon container. There will be tiny droplets of oil left in the pan, I don't wash it, I cover the whole pan with cling tite and store the pan. Those little drops will combine with your next batch."

...cheerz... :high-five: ...h00k...:hookah:...

Thanks otter! I hope yours was a good one.

Speaking of letting 'em roll, let's roll into the final week of 2020 with my plan for making extractions. As I mentioned back in October, I was considering buying an electric alcohol distiller to both increase the alcohol content of what's available in California, and also to evaporate and recapture the alcohol after the extraction process. The main sticking point was finding a battery vape that could handle the results of the process.

After @Mr. Krip made a couple of recommendations and @StoneOtter tried the process on his new one (trying to see if I can get a sponsored one here, so no mentions yet!), I thought I would take my first steps down that road.

I checked Amazon for electric alcohol distillers, and although they had a number of them ranging in price from $100 to $170, they all looked absolutely identical, so I went for the $100 version.
distiller.jpg

It won't be here until January because I guess they ship directly from China. In the meantime, I'll be heading down to Bevmo to pick up some 120 proof Everclear:
Everclear.jpg

They don't sell 190 in California, and I can't even locate any Bacardi 151 nearby. So I'll start by double distilling this to get it up to the 190 range (per @Derbybud's suggestion here), and then running the QWET through it to recapture as much of the alcohol as possible.

A lot of money in my house goes to vape cartridges, so I'm hoping this process will greatly reduce that expenditure!

I hope Christmas weekend went well and you're all recovering from the food, family, and fun! Stay safe. :slide:
This is what happens when you find good information before buying equipment! Do you have a bulb floaty thingy to test for alcohol content? Specifically...a Gravity Measuring tool? :Rasta:I'm considering replacing mine with one that can amp up cheap booze, not that any of them are cheap really. I didn't know these units could do it. This is good.

I’ve been researching for months how best to reclaim alcohol and still haven’t made my mind up so I’ll be watching your progress with interest! Wish there was a distillers for dummies thread
:welcome: to my grow journal dux! We'll figure this thing out together. :high-five:
Phew! It looks like the holidays slowed your thread down, Shed. :laughtwo: I was worried I'd come back to 10 or more pages to catch up on.

Hope you and your family had a lovely holiday.
All is well in the house of Shed, thanks HG!
here's something I have in my notes from a non active member here on his process...don't think he would mind
Thanks h00k! I just use Grandpa Tokin's method:

only now instead of evaporating the alcohol I'll be reclaiming it. His is a quick wash which eliminates most of the plant waxes that you might end up with in a 4 minute smash and stir. That saves having to wait for them to settle out.

Also, for edibles or capules, Grandpa does his decarb of the finished product rather than the buds. That eliminates the toasted bud flavor. Mine won't be decarbed at all since it will be vaped.

Good idea to save the drips in the pan after final evap for next time though. Reminder to buy a separate pyrex dish for this process!
With the distiller make sure to not run it to the end real sticky mess. I pour my bottle into your glass carafe and make a mark 1/4 inch down and remove when it's at the mark then put into skillet to reduce.
Great idea drift, thanks! And thanks for jumping into my spot on the web. :welcome:
Everything ok in da shed this holiday, kids at home smoking up your stash?
All is well here Crazy! Stash is getting burned nightly, as I am living with three total pot-heads. :cheesygrinsmiley:
This is what happens when you find good information before buying equipment! Do you have a bulb floaty thingy to test for alcohol content? Specifically...a Gravity Measuring tool? :Rasta:I'm considering replacing mine with one that can amp up cheap booze, not that any of them are cheap really. I didn't know these units could do it. This is good.
I did not buy a bulb floaty thing. I'm relying on Derby's advice that two passes will get me close enough to 190 proof. Maybe there's a tutorial for a home made hydrometer somewhere...
you know my Christmas is all about the Boxing Day cricket test match...
I'm sure it is!
Damn thats alot of shaking /work to me ,, Glad we don't have the proof problem here
If you're referring to h00k's instructions, the proof of the alcohol doesn't relate to what he's describing. Those would be the same regardless of proof. I'll just be pre-distilling mine to up the alcohol content before I go to do the QWET. Other than pouring the bottle in the distiller and turning it on, there's no work there.
I’m non-partisan :D. I enjoy particular players... mostly I like the game situations that play out. These matches last 3-5 days, so lots of twists and turns. Day 4 tomorrow.
Nothing beats the suspense of a 5-day test match! :)

Pissing down with rain here today and we even had a thunderstorm pass through around 5am this morning. Our poor puppy spent the rest of the morning sleeping on the bed with us...all 50-some-odd pounds of her! On the plus side, the roof held. :yahoo:

And since there are no outside pics today, here is an update of the Candida GA3 reversal experiment on flip day 17. Excuse the aphid carcasses...

90ppm:

72ppm

60ppm

Here is what the top growth on all three looks like, same at the last time:

I'm not seeing anything that indicates male or female yet, so we continue to wait...

And here are all the Candidas, tucked into the tent today:

The sharp-eyed among you may notice that the Candida mother is gone. I chopped it down yesterday and will be replacing it with one of the solo cup clones. I would have upcanned yesterday but the air temps were too cold to expose the roots. Hopefully this weekend will be a bit warmer.

I hope your day is brighter than mine! :cool:

I love DIY stuff, so thank you for that. In certain cases though I would go to the zon as that was a little more work than what I like for 11.00.
Thanks MrS! When I started researching the distillers I actually was looking at one of those, but forgot about it in the interim. Next Amazon order I'll throw one in the cart.

The original would have been fine with a few tweaks :).
Leave it to you to know a DIY hygrometer exists Shed! Then find it! You are an awesome individual!
Thanks otter! I actually made a much simpler version of this years back to measure the specific gravity of my glazes when I was doing pottery. It was a nail in a straw with sharpie markings on it. Having a real one would be a good idea for when I get back to that...after retirement I'm guessing!

The sharp-eyed among you may notice that the Candida mother is gone.
I hadn't... thank you!
Thanks MrS! When I started researching the distillers I actually was looking at one of those, but forgot about it in the interim. Next Amazon order I'll throw one in the cart.
It's amazing what was done before Amazon came along.

I hadn't... thank you! It's amazing what was done before Amazon came along.
I can't even remember anymore! Bought a lot less stuff?
A tight roof is good to have! We won't have to worry about Shed on the roof anymore! The GA3 experiment is doing something:). Pottery huh? Oh my, I've thrown a pot or two in another life. I took a class one year. You have the arms and chest for it!
I did pottery for about 10 years or so...then I started growing weed! The kiln is buried under the salve bins and the wheel is buried under a 4'x4' prize box that I am still trying to get to a 420mag member in South Africa!
...just to be clear ITS, the method was using a distiller...just evaporating the last bit for the same reason Drift mentioned...I am going to check out Grandpa T's method...sounds like it could be less work...cheerz... ...h00k...
I got that, thanks! I was just pointing out that the mash and stir method leaves you with a lot more plant material to get rid of than QWET actually does. And that decarb (if necessary) would be better done post extraction.

is the decarb time/ temp different for oil's?...hehe, apparently I did have GT's method bookmarked...I really gotta clean things up......cheerz......h00k......
LOL! New Year's Cleanup :).

Decarb temps are the same, and I recall, GT puts his in a silicon tub and decarbs in the toaster (at 240ºF) for 30 minutes after the bubbling stops. @West Hippie can confirm as he decarbs his rosin before making capsules.

LOL! New Year's Cleanup :).

Decarb temps are the same, and I recall, GT puts his in a silicon tub and decarbs in the toaster (at 240ºF) for 30 minutes after the bubbling stops. @West Hippie can confirm as he decarbs his rosin before making capsules.
Thanks InTheShed I do the shatter the same way as the rosin . I’ve only had one everclear batch that wasn’t green one , heck of a belch .

Back
Top Bottom