InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Well, I’ve been thinking about your “potting mix” since you posted your update photos yesterday. From the photo you posted, I kinda think the Sour G looks about the same as the other 2. Maybe they look different in person. To me, all 3 have what appears to be similar yellowing on the lower leaves. How much perlite do you think is in the Kellogg potting mix as it comes from the factory? From the pic you posted let’s say 10-20% by volume. Now add that to the 50% you added, that makes your “potting mix” 60-70% perlite. So my first question would be is that a good potting mix for growing in?

My second question would be that if you have a potting mix that has 60-70% perlite, should you be saying that you’re growing in soil? Shouldn’t a true soil have to be at least 51% soil of some sort? Since you have that much perlite, maybe you can‘t treat it like you’re growing in soil. Maybe you have to treat it like you’re growing in.......well.....something else. I just don’t know what that something else is.

Any way, those are just some thoughts I had. Please let me know what you think.
:thanks: for thinking it through BigD! Based on the pic I took of the open bag of Patio Mix, I would have to say it's less than 1% perlite, and I won't swear that my 50/50 calculation is so precise that I've moved my mix to 51/49 (or beyond) with what I've added. That said, when I pull out the clear cups on the cuttings, it's a lot of perlite, and probably too much. Might not be enough purchase for the roots to have something to grow in to keep it from being hempy. :eek:

They all have yellow lower leaves, but the Sour G is much more evenly green above the lowest leaves where the other two on nutes are pale all over in addition to the fading lowers. The pots also seem to dry out very quickly on top but are very heavy at the bottoms.

All in all, probably not a good decision to go with that much perlite (as you suspected), and I'm glad this isn't the mix for the 7 gallon final pots!

I wonder if I should shake off the roots and move those two into new (maybe 2 gallon) pots with a more soil-heavy mix...like 70/30. Might slow them down a bit, but keeping them where they are isn't exactly spurring healthy growth.

:hmmmm:

I was just about to look that up...thanks Graytail! Soil is denser though (as we learned in my Vulx experiment), so do you think that matching the ratio would still provide similar drainage without losing the soil-ness of the mix?
:laughtwo: Beats me. And peat is soilless anyway, non? I just read an article about the recent Canadian harvest issues and it clearly mentioned that peat is inert. :hmmmm:

All I know is the Kit. :laughtwo:

I screwed around with some ProMix BX, with less perlite and more vermiculite, and that difference is cation surfaces - vermiculite has more. I did add some extra perlite, 'cause BX only had 13%? Vermiculite seems to hold more moisture - kinda reminded me of broken down perlite. We're looking for optimum drainage and soil aeration, so that 27% figure has to be pretty close (if you're using peat).

Highya ITS, GDP, guys,

Nutty Professor has been given a week off from 420 magazine. I'm told that if he doesn't do right, it'll be a month next time. I don't know what happened. Just like his method, and results. Happy Smokin'

The pots also seem to dry out very quickly on top but are very heavy at the bottoms.
I think I read somewhere that perlite will help increase the perched water table, so maybe that’s why it’s heavier on the bottom.

a more soil-heavy mix...like 70/30.
I think that’s a good mix. Looking back at my note, it looks like my potting mix is about 25-30% perlite. I’ve also seen where 1/3 each of peat, perlite and compost is suppose to be a good mix. You could always mix up a couple of small test batches to see which you like better. You could mix 1 part perlite and 2 parts Kellogg potting soil in one container. Then mix 1 part perlite and 3 parts Kellogg’s in another and see which looks better to you. Or something like that.

I wonder if I should shake off the roots and move those two into new (maybe 2 gallon) pots
Probably wouldn’t hurt. You could take a good look at the roots when you do that to see how they are.

How about a supersized Thursday update?

Probably wouldn’t hurt. You could take a good look at the roots when you do that to see how they are.
So I did, and so I did!

Last night I mixed up a new batch of soil/perlite, this time about 3.5 gallons of soil and 1 gallon of perlite, added 4tsp of Dynomyco, and set about replanting the Jack Herer.

Here it is out of the pot:

The bottom roots were soaking wet, and the rest of the soil was pretty damp too. You can see that there is very little root growth on the sides.

I knocked off the loose soil and was left with this:

Only bottom growth, and not much of that either. So I planted it in the new soil and took this picture:

I did not water it,

And here it is this morning:

We'll see!

BigD mentioned the leaf color on the three plants, so I took a view from above so you can see how much better the Sour G with GeoFlora is doing in the exact same soil/perlite mix as the other two (until last night!):

Now let's head on into the shed, holding our breath while we go past the pile of poop under these:

They are really outgrowing their space and I'm surprised they haven't moved on yet!

Here are the Spring two in the shed this morning:

And we should give them individual shots, no? Red Dragon day 104, flip day 3:

SaugaView®:

Tin Can Kush, also day 104, flip day 3:

Moving toward the house, let's look at the Red Dragon clones from April 25th:

Still alive, still no visible roots!

Heading into the office, here are all the cuttings taken on May 16th:

They live with their domes tipped back about an inch, except this one because it's not happy like that:

That's one of the two cups with the Candida-from-seeda cuttings. No idea why it's not surviving when the other cup looks pretty good:

Oh well! If I get seeds I won't be keeping a mother from that plant. One Candida mom is enough.

And finally, let's go down the hall and grab the flipped Candidas from the tent:

The one in the middle is the STS one, and it got sprayed with Safer this morning and then rinsed an hour later. Tomorrow is STS spray day.

That's the dime tour of the grow this morning. I hope y'all enjoyed it!

:ciao:

That dime tour is a real bargain! Thanks.

Plants looking Sheddy! :Rasta:

Sweet update, Shed- Damn, you've got a lot going on!
The spring ladies are sure pretty- I really like the look of the Red Dragon!
That tour was worth at least 15 cents ;)

Drive-by

timed that perfect,,, girls look happy and healthy.........

Highya ITS,

Love the Red Dragon and the Tin Can Kush! You have a great way of getting all those tops, soon to be bud-laden colas. They both look very nice. Good luck with your Candida pollen and seeds! Happy Smokin'

That dime tour is a real bargain! Thanks. Plants looking Sheddy!
Nice to know that my plants carry my signature style. :) Thanks GDB!
Loved the update Shed. Gals are looking really nice - even Jack Herer looks a lot better this morning!
Thank you Boo! Everything looks better in the morning. :high-five:
Sweet update, Shed- Damn, you've got a lot going on!
The spring ladies are sure pretty- I really like the look of the Red Dragon!
That tour was worth at least 15 cents
Keeping the prices low during the pandemic. :cheesygrinsmiley: Thanks Carcass!
Lovely pics, lovely tour Shed!
Much obliged Stunger!
I had a great time while enjoying all the company here looking at the marvelous plants and wildlife.:love:
I'm happy to be able to provide all that Nev, thanks!
Drive-by

timed that perfect,,, girls look happy and healthy.........
You picked a perfect day Norcali...nicely done. And thanks!
Highya ITS,
Love the Red Dragon and the Tin Can Kush! You have a great way of getting all those tops, soon to be bud-laden colas. They both look very nice. Good luck with your Candida pollen and seeds! Happy Smokin'
Thanks Bode! Candidas usually take a bit longer to show pistils than my THC plants, so it could be some time before I have any idea if my spraying is doing a damn thing. :hmmmm:

Back
Top Bottom