InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

I know right? At least it still fits well in the 2x4, especially since I have increased the positive pressure and the sides bow out when it's closed. :) Thanks Jon!

I'm at 157-34-181, so a bump to 180-38-200 is an easy tweak.

Good question! I have no idea, but I'll try to imagine why that might cause it. I could change my thinning style for a plant in the future, but without doing clones it won't tell me anything.

@StoneOtter has been de-larfing pretty aggressively lately. I wonder if he has noticed a difference in how his tops grow since he changed. :hmmmm:

Another good question. I would need to go through all my flowering pics going back 4 years to see, so I'll have to find time to peruse!
I have a theory that the way we train affects the stretch. I think the plant begins life with X amount of stretch genetically built in. So if you didn't train and just let it grow straight up, whatever stretch you got is the "natural" stretch. Now we take that one cola and turn it into 40. I believe that same amount of genetic stretch is now divided between all those branches, and as a result, the stretch is less. Or it's the same, but comes off as less due to each individual bud bearing stem stretching at 1/40th the rate it would if it was one main stem (in this example). I've noticed my plants that are trained as the Apple Blossom or any of the soil plants recently harvested that were trained similarly, not one of them even got close to doubling in vertical growth. See what I mean?

So let's say for the sake of argument that the above is true. If so, then isn't it *maybe* logical to assume that the way we train could similarly affect the bud development, in your case resulting in really fat buds?

Like I said, it's a theory. I don't know enough science to take this any further. Lol.

Thanks Nev! This is probably one of the most trichomey plants I've grown, though it's kinda funny not even knowing whether it's THC, THCV, or none of the above. :thedoubletake:
???

Why is it that you don't know? (god I hope this isn't a silly question I should know the answer to....). lol.

I have a theory that the way we train affects the stretch. I think the plant begins life with X amount of stretch genetically built in. So if you didn't train and just let it grow straight up, whatever stretch you got is the "natural" stretch. Now we take that one cola and turn it into 40. I believe that same amount of genetic stretch is now divided between all those branches, and as a result, the stretch is less. Or it's the same, but comes off as less due to each individual bud bearing stem stretching at 1/40th the rate it would if it was one main stem (in this example). I've noticed my plants that are trained as the Apple Blossom or any of the soil plants recently harvested that were trained similarly, not one of them even got close to doubling in vertical growth. See what I mean?
So let's say for the sake of argument that the above is true. If so, then isn't it *maybe* logical to assume that the way we train could similarly affect the bud development, in your case resulting in really fat buds?
Like I said, it's a theory. I don't know enough science to take this any further. Lol.
That's an interesting stretch theory that seems like it would be hard to test even in a lab with clones. Doesn't mean someone is not doing it for their Master's thesis right now though!

And I'm sure that training affects bud development (otherwise we wouldn't do it!), but does it shorten bud growth post-stretch? Is it just that the plants in flower really don't like having their roots shifted around as @Virgin Ground (and I believe @Amy Gardner) has postulated?

When I retire maybe I will spend my days doing side by side clones to test all the stuff we could use answers to. I've got a list in my head somewhere!
???

Why is it that you don't know? (god I hope this isn't a silly question I should know the answer to....). lol.
Sorry Jon, you must not have gotten to see this post:
the WSE website no longer listing Doug's Varin as available. Today I got a message from them saying:
"Although a lot of time was invested in breeding this strain, after several new test results from our breeder as well as customers, our Doug's Varin turned out to be inconsistent in it's THCV level, which is the core property people buy it for. We don't want to sell anything that doesn't meet our customer's expectations."

I asked them what the test results showed for THC, so at least I'd know what to expect if it's a regular cannabis plant. I'll let you know what I hear. In the meantime, let it grow let it grow let it grow!
I haven't heard back from them yet, though I will update when I do.

Highya ITS,

Great looking Dougs' Varin. She has a lot of trichomes already. Is she going to go 8 weeks, or will she be sooner. I'm assuming she's indica?!? I didn't notice if VG's DV had as much trichomes. Maybe next time.

as long as the thermostat isn't overloaded with two.
Great answer!
I don't know enough science to take this any further.
Fun to hypothesize though!! Happy Smokin'

Great looking Dougs' Varin. She has a lot of trichomes already. Is she going to go 8 weeks, or will she be sooner. I'm assuming she's indica?!? I didn't notice if VG's DV had as much trichomes. Maybe next time.
Thanks Bode! VG's seems to be much more focused on pushing pistils than trichomes at this stage, but some of that might be related to the high UV from the sun forcing the plant to protect the leaves. I have no doubt that hers will have prettier flowers than mine!

No idea how long it's gonna run since we're not really sure what it is!
Great answer!
:)

don't know if it's related to the sun or the schlepping or what, but I do wonder what I'm leaving on the table this way.
I'm going to venture an uneducated guess, if that's ok...
She seems a little darker green than she should be, and, she has got a lot of leaves in the buds...is the N she's getting making her grow more leaves than flowers, or in place of flowers?
I don't really understand your npk numbers,
But that seems like a lot of N you're giving her at this stage. I say it seems like a lot, but I don't really know...
I'm probably way off base, just a thought I had...
She sure is a pretty one, though...

That's an interesting stretch theory that seems like it would be hard to test even in a lab with clones. Doesn't mean someone is not doing it for their Master's thesis right now though!

And I'm sure that training affects bud development (otherwise we wouldn't do it!), but does it shorten bud growth post-stretch? Is it just that the plants in flower really don't like having their roots shifted around as @Virgin Ground (and I believe @Amy Gardner) has postulated?

When I retire maybe I will spend my days doing side by side clones to test all the stuff we could use answers to. I've got a list in my head somewhere!

Sorry Jon, you must not have gotten to see this post:

I haven't heard back from them yet, though I will update when I do.
Thank you for the detailed answers, as you do! You're right, I missed that post. It does beg the question: if you knew that they had taken that course of action with the DV, why grow that strain? Interesting choice and I don't know anything about that particular strain. Special to you?

So I read this article:

I had no idea what THCV was. So it seems like something one would want to consume in higher doses. It sounds as if clarity and focused high results from high concentrations, although it does note that it doesn't last as long.

So you actually grow plants based on these types of factors? That's fricking pro. And it begs a million questions which I'll let out over time, lol. But one is, are you aware of any strains that have particularly high THCV while also maintaining high levels of THC? I don't care about CBD. Another is, how does one even access this information, by talking directly to the folks who created the strain?

Thanks Shed, you da man.

@StoneOtter has been de-larfing pretty aggressively lately. I wonder if he has noticed a difference in how his tops grow since he changed. :hmmmm:
I absolutely have seen my buds get much more nugworthy since. Fuller individual buds for sure, and I have to say extra frosty too it seems! That's the best part. Second best is the much less trim prison sentence I have to endure! Much better!

I absolutely have seen my buds get much more nugworthy since. Fuller individual buds for sure, and I have to say extra frosty too it seems! That's the best part. Second best is the much less trim prison sentence I have to endure! Much better!
What's a matter Otter, does the "Zen and the Art of Trimming" thing get old after an 8 hour trimming session?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yes it does! :bong: :laugh:
Couldn't agree more. It sure does. I wonder sometimes where I get my stamina for it from, cuz I tend to go animal and do it in big chunks. Best I can come up with is a combination of the fact that I am arguably more comfortable than the average Joe sitting in a chair for long periods of time, :)laugh:) and the fact that my chair does all kinds of cool stuff and so on breaks I can sit back on an angle with my feet up, or almost lay flat, or whatever. It's sort of like living in a moving Teeter board, lol. But it takes several hours for me before the zen of it starts to wear off. Caveat: if the weed is crappy or the way the leaves are makes it an especially difficult trim, it gets old in minutes. Witness trimming the Chunkadelic. I hated every second of it. Lmao.

Always entertaining and informative to visit here Shedster! You and Jon really get into the weedz.

However, this does not sound promising:

:laughtwo:

I suppose if you plug both mats into an extension cord and plugged that into the thermostat (assuming you're under the max draw for it), it would send the same current to both. That could keep them around the same temp if they're next to each other. I guess it's worth a shot as long as the thermostat isn't overloaded with two.
I'd be leery on the extension cord part, unless using a proper heavy Guage cord.
If both heating matts are close together, in the same room, the temperature differences would be rather small (for the most part).

Inkbird makes a temperature controller that has two outputs for heat only. I know cause I accidentally ordered the wrong one once :laughtwo: . Don't ask how many Inkbirds I've bought:rolleyes:, I love 'em.
Anyhow I'll drop the topic now, and include a photo of the model (ITC-306T).

Temperature-Controller-ITC-306T.png

I'm going to venture an uneducated guess, if that's ok...
She seems a little darker green than she should be, and, she has got a lot of leaves in the buds...is the N she's getting making her grow more leaves than flowers, or in place of flowers?
I don't really understand your npk numbers,
But that seems like a lot of N you're giving her at this stage. I say it seems like a lot, but I don't really know...
I'm probably way off base, just a thought I had...
She sure is a pretty one, though...

Most veggies react to high amounts of N the same way. It can delay flower or produce small fruits since the plant is busy growing leaves. Veggie gardeners say.."P&K feeds the roots and therefore the fruits."

Always entertaining and informative to visit here Shedster! You and Jon really get into the weedz.

However, this does not sound promising:

:laughtwo:
:rofl: GDB, I have to admit, I find the first part funnier!

You and Jon really get into the weedz.
My whole life, ever since elementary school, I have always peppered my teachers. Some of them loved me for it, some hated me. I'd ask so many questions they'd have to stop me sometimes so they could get on with the lesson. But they always knew when I was coming. Lol! Which is a silly anecdotal story to illustrate that while what you say may be true, depending on how one defines "weedz," it's not as much a "we" thing as the sentence sort of implies. To me it's mostly much more like student/teacher conversations, where the student is simply trying his best to catch up.

Guess who's the student?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Back
Top Bottom