InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

The breeders that get their plants tested use a particular part of the plant to get tested. It's not the top flower - they send in the flowers next down from the top.
[pro-tip]
They are usually shaded by the top cola. Flowers do perform photosynthesis but is minor. So where do the flowers get the energy to grow? The leaves and thats mainly the fan leaves and also energy from nutrients brought up to the flowers via transpiration/translocation via photosynthesis and thru cell to cell movement (diffusion).
Brings up another question.
What makes stronger/better flower?
Trichomes as we know contain most of the medicine. They also go thru senescence. The caps fall off. How and why that happens I'm not sure but I know it's a thing. Maybe why the top flowers are not the most potent??
The medicine is in the trichomes - what are the functions of trichomes on plants?
They are part of the defense mechanism against pests.
Ever wonder why cannabis makes trichomes that are what attracts hoo-mans?
Seems counter productive.... on the surface but without hoo-mans, these plants wouldn't have the popularity they do today. Thats some food for thought.
I often times wonder why cannabis didn't evolve to create instead of THC, something we are allergic to. It's not a big leap.
I'd say there are enough poisonous plants out there...nice to have one on our side :).

So the fluffy larf I'm pulling off the inside lower branches is higher in THC than the apical cola? And at least as good as any cola on the outside sun-getting parts of the plant? I had no idea! So why are growers using larf for edibles and grading it last (as in top=best, lowers=good, larf=not for smoking) when they jar it up?

And why do people spend money for IR pucks to increase trichome production if trichome production is not a function of line of site to the light source? Does the whole plant increase trichome production when any part of it is exposed to IR?

More and more questions with every answer Bo!

Whys my Larf red/purple yet the tops are blue, turquoise and green? Is this stuff more potent? It looks tasty!....
ORG_DSC03206.JPG

Sure does Professor, though most of your stuff does! I wouldn't call that larf though as it's obviously in the light. I'm talking about the green buds shaded by the rest of the plant.
That's with the flash on. It's pretty dark under the Gorilla Zkittles. Those buds look way bigger in the pic. They're probably about a centimetre or so in length

I'm talking about the green buds shaded by the rest of the plant.
That's another weird thing. All the larf that is in complete shade is going dark red and purple but the larf which is at the same height but exposed to light is still green like underdeveloped early bud. I've not seen that before

Taking a break from translocation and trichomes for a moment, let's do the Tuesday update! I thought I should feature a couple that don't often show up...

...so here is the Durban Thunderfuck from @Van Stank Genetics, on day 76:

It's nice and flat and ready for a little clean-up as it gets ready to start showing pistils.

And here is the It's It Punch clone from @MrGreene:

It's a major bush that needs a good trim this weekend. You may recall that I thought I would try some LST on this (my first time doing LST on a photoperiod plant) because it can get out of control if not kept low. No topping done, just LST and supercropping the leaders. And all of that middle growth above is a result of this bend in the main trunk:

Not sure what shape pipe that would make but it's got a built-in bowl right where it gets cut from the soil @BeezLuiz ! Straighten, drill, soak, rebend?

After looking at the family portrait yesterday, it occurs to me that I'm going to be in trouble come Sept 21st when everything will need to be inside at night. I don't have room for that many flowering plants in the shed and the tent, so I think I'm going to leave the tent up in the garage and flip the Candidas this weekend after a trim. That will leave me 4 plants flowering at the end of September as the Candida will be done in early September.

So here is the plan:
• Currently flowering: AK, BC, BeBo. Flip day was June 9th (day 160), and they should run not much later than 70 days which is day 230, or August 18th.
• The two Candidas will get flipped on July 14th (day 195), and the last ones came down on flip day 52, which would be day 247, or Sept 4th.
• That leaves Sour G, IIP, DTF, and AK-47 to flower naturally. And on Sept 21st I can split them between the shed and the tent based on their size.

The only issue I'll have with the tent in the garage is keeping it dark after sunrise. I might need to buy a duct fan and make another cardboard box baffle so I can seal off the rest of the vents. The garage has two east-facing skylights and 16' of uncovered glass french doors on the front. It gets pretty bright in there in the mornings.

I hope your week is getting off to a great start!
:peace:

So where do the flowers get the energy to grow? The leaves and thats mainly the fan leaves and also energy from nutrients brought up to the flowers via transpiration/translocation via photosynthesis and thru cell to cell movement (diffusion).
So if I defol a plant would I be taking away from bud production?

So if I defol a plant would I be taking away from bud production?
"To know the answer to that, one must also know if the chicken came before the egg"

-stoned milly

Well I typically don't take the big fans off and I'm assuming that's what Bob was referring to
and thats mainly the fan leaves
But I do normally hit her before flowering and selective pruning after the stretch, more bending than anything. Anyhow, I have a craving for a toasted egg sandwich now but not sure why.

Leaves move around to take advantage of light - we all know that right? They also move around to take advantage of wind or breeze to help with respiration and transportation. All these functions are important.

Transpiration - how water and along with the water and nutrients taken in by the roots. The main way and the fastest method for plants to uptake the nutrients with the water is thru transpiration.

So yeah in regard to translocation of nutrients/minerals the leaves play an important role. They also are nutrient sinks early in life as they soak up the sun using photosynthesis they store some of that energy as chlorophyll. As the leaves age they become a energy source for flower and seed making. That's when you see the older fan leaves turn yellow and begin to FALL off.

Leaves have many other functions as well.

First line of defense against pests.

Help the apical meristem with where/what kind of growth hormones to send out to the plant.

This is how a plant knows that its in the shade and needs to grow taller or in a different direction. The leaves tell the apical meristem where to grow/send out growth cells to different parts of the plant.

I'm not sure that answers your question.

Leaves perform translocation constantly. They both store energy long term and also short term.

Short term they either give the plant its energy that was made during the day with photosynthesis or respire it out and can also store it long term.

Just because leaves are not getting direct light doesn't mean they are not performing an important function(s). Keeping cool thru transpiration is huge. Photosynthesis is the main function of course.

Leaves can perform photosynthesis even in the shade.

For me, the only time leaves suck is at the trim table. lol

Our worms are thankful tho.
Aphids also live in cedar trees I think ..bit they live there and spread in the wind .

I saw one today actually landed on my leg . Kinda cool hoe now I can identify them..

I am vaping and smoking my way through a lotta larf from the last HSO Purple Trainwreck.

Pretty high as fawk off it tonight I must say.

I don't mind larf, it's not as pretty as bud, but to me, the blunt or the press knows no difference. Hence my trimming pretty conservatively.

Saves time too. Getting a little more from each plant.

But, it's not going to win photo contests. Doubt anyone is going to get sponsor bonuses and free lights for harvesting 4 ounces of larf off an indoor grow.

:snowboating:

Meanwhile, still high.

:lot-o-toke:

Back
Top Bottom