InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Light Question - When you used your meter to measure sun lumens, how did that compare to a QB, or light array?
The old saying is lumens are for humans. For plants we measure in lux, par, or PPFD (a plant-based par measurement). PPFD meters are about 4x the cost of lux meters, and if you have fixed spectrum lights (like QBs or strips) there are conversion websites that will turn lux into PPFD numbers for you. Full spectrum (blurple) lights resist easy conversion.

For indoor lighting, Royal Queen Seeds recommends 45-65,000 lux in flower, with a maximum of 75,000. Sunlight doesn't cause bleaching and light burn, because it's the sun, so more lux is better!
What a fantastic game! Super tight first half, beautiful goal in the second. I’m a big an of those USA women
Wonderful family full of variety Shed. Quite a sight to behold all grouped together like that!
Great game! I saved it on the DVR so I can watch it again sometime :).

That is quite a collection of plants when I put them all together. I had to get on a ladder to get the shot.
Shed maybe next time try to defoil a bit more in congested areas ?
Which plant?
Man you are growing some beautiful plants brotha.
Also as far as fans and leaving electrical outside unattended I hear ya.
What about timers so not on all the time?
Doesn't change it I guess ... Or solar powered fans no cords needed?
Thanks Joe! For the fan it's really about the moisture, so maybe if I can fit it under the tarp it will be safe from settling dew.
I just picked up a new box fan at Walmart. It is made to sit in a window and is moisture resistant. The brand name is Lasko.
Might help your situation, might not. Just thought I'd throw it out there.
Your plants are beautiful but I would expect no less.
Have a great day Shed.
Thanks VG! I thought I had a Lasko box fan but it's a Holmes. Either way, I'm going to try it outside before I buy another one.
Wow! That family portrait is truly stunning Shed.
Thanks MoN :).
Nice update. Your family portrait day is always my favorite. Sorry about the lemon potion, that’s a bummer. But everything else is looking stellar.
ps - I have Lasko clip fans and they are good, quality fans.
Thanks double H! We'll see if anyone likes the Lemon Potion before I decide what to do with the other two seeds. Might need to trade them out...
I just got a "humph" from her as she walked away.
A "humph" is better than an argument so I call that a win!
I'm still glad you kept it until harvest!
We'll see. At least it attracted all the bugs in the area!

I haven't kept up with your journal the last few weeks. Apologies if this is of no consequence, but do you still have an aphid problem?

I was just reading that cape myrtle trees are used in nursery settings to lure aphids away from their plants. They call them "aphid magnets" because they are so effective.

I haven't kept up with your journal the last few weeks. Apologies if this is of no consequence, but do you still have an aphid problem?
I was just reading that cape myrtle trees are used in nursery settings to lure aphids away from their plants. They call them "aphid magnets" because they are so effective.
No apologies needed! I'm not sure what the bugs were on this plant but they were probably aphids. They seem to go to one plant at a time. Over the winter they were all on the Sour G. This time it was the auto. We'll have to wait and see where they go now :).

I'm going to be much more proactive on spraying this summer though. Next weekend it's another round of spinosad for the flowering ones, and thinning and neem on the veg plants.

Remember they say if moisture is an issue that your fans will generate perspiration or moisture from the fans leafs.

There fore a good prune job can help with that issue . Doesn't mean it will but something to think about?

I'll look back at what plant lol

:cheesygrinsmiley:

Do you mean "nothing common place..."? Nothing less than common place doesn't sound like a compliment to me!

Jeez... I meant your plants always look gr8, which is nothing less than common place at the Shed. A total compliment, like when I told my wife her hair looks great, I love the way the layers look.

She replies, "Oh! I'm going to see Carly on..."

Me: "Take it for what it was honey, a compliment!"

:laughtwo:

That seals it, I'm buying one for all my neighbors and not for myself...

For indoor lighting, Royal Queen Seeds recommends 45-65,000 lux in flower, with a maximum of 75,000. Sunlight doesn't cause bleaching and light burn, because it's the sun, so more lux is better!

I can attest that 65-70,000 will cause burn with my 3500k LEDs. I'm gonna try to keep it in to 50-55,000 range this grow and see what happens.

Remember they say if moisture is an issue that your fans will generate perspiration or moisture from the fans leafs.
There fore a good prune job can help with that issue . Doesn't mean it will but something to think about?
I'll look back at what plant lol
Even under the tarp they're still outside, so there's not much I can do about the ambient humidity. Whatever the fans leaves add is microscopic compared to the Pacific Ocean!
The garden is looking good and healthy. Nice job with those three plants. Haha
Thanks Derby! What should I do differently on the other 12?

I have about 120' of crepe myrtles in my backyard. I don't believe this-however I have heard it before too. I do know that I can see the caterpillars drop lines down from the crepe myrtles looking for other plants to hang out on.

I have 3 crepe myrtles myself. Never noticed any aphids on them... my roses however...

Thanks Bo, it's a girl!

While you're here, I have a translocation question! How does translocation relate to penetration from our lights? Is light penetration as important as we make it out to be if translocation is moving nutrients around regardless of line-of-sight access to the light source?

Leaves move around to take advantage of light - we all know that right? They also move around to take advantage of wind or breeze to help with respiration and transportation. All these functions are important.

Transpiration - how water and along with the water and nutrients taken in by the roots. The main way and the fastest method for plants to uptake the nutrients with the water is thru transpiration.

So yeah in regard to translocation of nutrients/minerals the leaves play an important role. They also are nutrient sinks early in life as they soak up the sun using photosynthesis they store some of that energy as chlorophyll. As the leaves age they become a energy source for flower and seed making. That's when you see the older fan leaves turn yellow and begin to FALL off.

Leaves have many other functions as well.

First line of defense against pests.

Help the apical meristem with where/what kind of growth hormones to send out to the plant.

This is how a plant knows that its in the shade and needs to grow taller or in a different direction. The leaves tell the apical meristem where to grow/send out growth cells to different parts of the plant.

I'm not sure that answers your question.

Leaves perform translocation constantly. They both store energy long term and also short term.

Short term they either give the plant its energy that was made during the day with photosynthesis or respire it out and can also store it long term.

Just because leaves are not getting direct light doesn't mean they are not performing an important function(s). Keeping cool thru transpiration is huge. Photosynthesis is the main function of course.

Leaves can perform photosynthesis even in the shade.

For me, the only time leaves suck is at the trim table. lol

Our worms are thankful tho.

I'm not sure that answers your question.
Thanks Bo! That's a great answer, but I'm not sure it answers my question either.

You said that "it's not necessary for all flowers to get direct sun or even all leaves. Ever wonder how some of the low down buds are just and strong as the tops?"

I wasn't asking about the role that leaves play in translocation, I was asking whether we need good light penetration if translocation is moving nutrients to the lower buds.

Since I haven't found shaded buds anything close to the size or quality of those that get direct light, it makes me think that, while translocation is a nice thing, it's direct light that makes strong buds. Translocation just seems like something that plants do to survive and it doesn't directly translate to solid lower shaded buds.

The old saying is lumens are for humans. For plants we measure in lux, par, or PPFD (a plant-based par measurement). .

A "humph" is better than an argument so I call that a win!

I wonder how these light meters test red/far red light??

Always be ready for the unexpected girl card.

I wonder how these light meters test red/far red light??
Always be ready for the unexpected girl card.
She'll be spayed at 6 months, so nothing unexpected will be happening!

I'm not anything close to a lighting guy so I'm just using my lux meter for comparing light levels and calculating PPFD and DLI. I would think that the meter manufacturers would be able to answer that question better than anyone here!

The ones that measure spectrum and color run 5x the price of a lux meter. Here are the specs on one:

Thanks Bo! That's a great answer, but I'm not sure it answers my question either.

You said that "it's not necessary for all flowers to get direct sun or even all leaves. Ever wonder how some of the low down buds are just and strong as the tops?"

I wasn't asking about the role that leaves play in translocation, I was asking whether we need good light penetration if translocation is moving nutrients to the lower buds.

Since I haven't found shaded buds anything close to the size or quality of those that get direct light, it makes me think that, while translocation is a nice thing, it's direct light that makes strong buds. Translocation just seems like something that plants do to survive and it doesn't directly translate to solid lower shaded buds.

The breeders that get their plants tested use a particular part of the plant to get tested. It's not the top flower - they send in the flowers next down from the top.
[pro-tip]

They are usually shaded by the top cola. Flowers do perform photosynthesis but is minor. So where do the flowers get the energy to grow? The leaves and thats mainly the fan leaves and also energy from nutrients brought up to the flowers via transpiration/translocation via photosynthesis and thru cell to cell movement (diffusion).

Brings up another question.

What makes stronger/better flower?

Trichomes as we know contain most of the medicine. They also go thru senescence. The caps fall off. How and why that happens I'm not sure but I know it's a thing. Maybe why the top flowers are not the most potent??

The medicine is in the trichomes - what are the functions of trichomes on plants?

They are part of the defense mechanism against pests.

Ever wonder why cannabis makes trichomes that are what attracts hoo-mans?
Seems counter productive.... on the surface but without hoo-mans, these plants wouldn't have the popularity they do today. Thats some food for thought.

I often times wonder why cannabis didn't evolve to create instead of THC, something we are allergic to. It's not a big leap.

Back
Top Bottom