InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

I'm not even working. I'm off but can't sleep. Up 30 hours straight now.
I get like that when I get Manic I have Bi-Polar, Depression sucks but Mania is fun the problem is after a few weeks of Mania you have burned through all your feel good chemicals like endorphins etc. so depression is right around the corner. I am hoping you get leveled out

The ignore button is a beautiful thing.
I've never used it actually. I just ignore the posts myself!
First bread and pizza now we are talking about flamethrowers now this is a thread with big diversity.
I think farside is afraid of his bed.
LOL! Diversity creates profitability!
I haven't seen the "latest" yet, but about to wander through. Sounds like I'll be wandering right out, too.
Har! Good move to miss it. We were all wasting our breath.
I'm leaving this here
The ENABLERS have me making Sourdough starter today...ugggghhh

I'm so easily influenced.....
I'll be doing an update on that today so you can not do what I did :).
Was that condescending because I explained that I missed out on some of it myself?
multiSplainer!
He musta really went off the deep end
Seemed ok at 1st, I'm mean he was an idiot....but
Wonder if maybe he was another member who got booted before
So folks just can't stay away :).
Question InTheShed...
On YouTube videos on humidity they say it needs to be between 40% and 50% during flowering and drying...
Then why are we told to use the Humidity 62% packs for perfect bud curing?
Good question! The answer is that we want to drive the moisture out of the buds more quickly when they're wet, to prevent them from molding. I usually recommend low 50s for the first day or so, and then increasing it to the higher 50s and even low 60s as they dry.

It's a balance between a slow hang dry (5-7 days) and bud rot. That's why it's good if you can control the RH where you dry. I can't, so I do it with fan speed and fresh air access in a cardboard box, but the theory is the same.

And 62% is a good sweet spot for long term storage and curing.

You take any lithium for it?
I take Thorazine I cant take Lithium. I also take a few other meds for my Bi-Polar the Cannabis does help some but I still get the Mania and depression at times but I am pretty well leveled out now not too many ups and downs. A lot of people say I am Bi-Polar when really they are just moody. They don't go through a week or two at a time with no sleep because they are Manic and after ward sleeping for 20 hours a day endlessly. That's when you know you are Bi-Polar

I've never used it actually. I just ignore the posts myself!

LOL! Diversity creates profitability!

Har! Good move to miss it. We were all wasting our breath.

I'll be doing an update on that today so you can not do what I did :).

multiSplainer!

So folks just can't stay away :).

Good question! The answer is that we want to drive the moisture out of the buds more quickly when they're wet, to prevent them from molding. I usually recommend low 50s for the first day or so, and then increasing it to the higher 50s and even low 60s as they dry.

It's a balance between a slow hang dry (5-7 days) and bud rot. That's why it's good if you can control the RH where you dry. I can't, so I do it with fan speed and fresh air access in a cardboard box, but the theory is the same.

And 62% is a good sweet spot for long term storage and curing.
Thanks Shed...

With my Led Lights, if I keep the temperature at around 79 degrees my humidity is around 50%.

If I drop the temp to around 76 degrees the humidity rises to around 57%. So the warmer temp the lower humidity.

What is your average temperature in your grow room?

It's a balance between a slow hang dry (5-7 days) and bud rot.
Hey Shed! I rarely have dried buds in that time and it normally takes 10+. Could I dry them quicker and still have tasty buds? I'm too cautious to move a fan closer which doesn't really dry the insides anyway. Would a dehumidifier be a good idea if I was careful? I'm worried that it'll suck the life out of them. This is mainly a problem I get in the summer.

I get like that when I get Manic I have Bi-Polar, Depression sucks but Mania is fun the problem is after a few weeks of Mania you have burned through all your feel good chemicals like endorphins etc. so depression is right around the corner. I am hoping you get leveled out

Sorry to hear PC. My mother suffers from Bi-Polar disorder so I've seen it first hand. She's far more leveled now, but the first 5 years were a roller coaster ride, until she gave in to the fact that she needed to take meds every day regardless. She'd feel so good when she was Manic that she didn't think she needed them, but that was exactly when she needed them most.

My issue yesterday was more caffeine related. I usually only have one soda/pop/coke (depending on your part of the county) a day of it keeps me up, and I have that during work. Well I came home and started into other canna activities and started drinking Rum and Cokes. That was pretty steady from 10:30AM-10:30PM, so I was wired. By the time I stopped, my body had "reset" itself since that's when I'm used to being awake. I'm a 3rd shifter.

Question InTheShed...

On YouTube videos on humidity they say it needs to be between 40% and 50% during flowering and drying...

Then why are we told to use the Humidity 62% packs for perfect bud curing? :)

It's all about transpiration I believe, for an example if humidity is too high then you have low transpiration and vice-versa. The difference is that when the plant is growing it can draw up nutrients and water through osmosis by transpiring and when it's drying it can't use osmosis so it dries out too fast if it's low and vice-versa. For storage and usage 58-62% is a good humidity level for consuming.

Sorry to hear PC. My mother suffers from Bi-Polar disorder so I've seen it first hand. She's far more leveled now, but the first 5 years were a roller coaster ride, until she gave in to the fact that she needed to take meds every day regardless. She'd feel so good when she was Manic that she didn't think she needed them, but that was exactly when she needed them most.

My issue yesterday was more caffeine related. I usually only have one soda/pop/coke (depending on your part of the county) a day of it keeps me up, and I have that during work. Well I came home and started into other canna activities and started drinking Rum and Cokes. That was pretty steady from 10:30AM-10:30PM, so I was wired. By the time I stopped, my body had "reset" itself since that's when I'm used to being awake. I'm a 3rd shifter.
I see. Sounds like you had a good night though. For some reason Rum gives me a head ache before I even get a buzz. I stick to tequila, I Love my margaritas, I don't drink them very often though, I also enjoy a good bottle of chardonnay now and then, and a Beer with dinner

He musta really went off the deep end

Seemed ok at 1st, I'm mean he was an idiot....but

Wonder if maybe he was another member who got booted before

I'm not sure, but it must have been quite the show. lol

multiSplainer!

:rofl:

If I drop the temp to around 76 degrees the humidity rises to around 57%. So the warmer temp the lower humidity.

You're quite correct on your observations! RH is nothing more than an expression of the dew point. The dew point is what it is. The humidity values for a dew point of 50F will be different with a temp of 75F and 85F.

Dew point is simply a measurement of how much water is in the air. Warmer air can hold more water than cooler air. The temperature par of the dew point is the temperature at which 100% saturation of water in the air is reached. You know when this happens, and it's easy to see: fog. :D

To get the RH value, we simply divide the dew point by the temperature, and multiply that value by 100 to get the percentage. If the dew point and temp is measured in C, same thing applies. So you end up with (dew point / temp) x 100 = RH %.

How this all relates to plants and their growth is found within the Vapor Pressure Deficit (VPD), as Ladon referenced above. This is effectively a chart that shows the right humidity levels for various temperatures and growth stage.

For example, right now in mid-late flower my daytime temps are running about 78F at the canopy level, and my RH% wanders between 55% and 60%. According to VPD charts, this is within the right scope, and could even go down a tick and still be fine.

If I find that my humidity is too high, I raise temps in the tent. Temp goes up, same amount of moisture in the air, RH then goes down.

Using the math above, we can calculate our dew point by first dividing the RH by 100, then multiplying that by the temperature. So for 78F and a 55% RH, I get a dew point of about 43F. (It's 42.9F technically, but what's a tenth between friends?)

So now I know my dew point, If I want to drop humidity a bit, what would that be at 80F?

(43/80) x 100 = 53.75%.

At 85F, that's just over 50% at 50.59%.

Temperature at twice the dew point would be right on 50%.

But wait! What if the RH is too low?

Lower the temp, if possible. If not, that's when a humidifier come into play.

I know that was a mouthful of stuff, but it's kinda neat when you read into why those numbers work, and how they cause the plant to react and grow. :)

I'm not sure, but it must have been quite the show. lol

:rofl:

You're quite correct on your observations! RH is nothing more than an expression of the dew point. The dew point is what it is. The humidity values for a dew point of 50F will be different with a temp of 75F and 85F.

Dew point is simply a measurement of how much water is in the air. Warmer air can hold more water than cooler air. The temperature par of the dew point is the temperature at which 100% saturation of water in the air is reached. You know when this happens, and it's easy to see: fog. :D

To get the RH value, we simply divide the dew point by the temperature, and multiply that value by 100 to get the percentage. If the dew point and temp is measured in C, same thing applies. So you end up with (dew point / temp) x 100 = RH %.

How this all relates to plants and their growth is found within the Vapor Pressure Deficit (VPD), as Ladon referenced above. This is effectively a chart that shows the right humidity levels for various temperatures and growth stage.

For example, right now in mid-late flower my daytime temps are running about 78F at the canopy level, and my RH% wanders between 55% and 60%. According to VPD charts, this is within the right scope, and could even go down a tick and still be fine.

If I find that my humidity is too high, I raise temps in the tent. Temp goes up, same amount of moisture in the air, RH then goes down.

Using the math above, we can calculate our dew point by first dividing the RH by 100, then multiplying that by the temperature. So for 78F and a 55% RH, I get a dew point of about 43F. (It's 42.9F technically, but what's a tenth between friends?)

So now I know my dew point, If I want to drop humidity a bit, what would that be at 80F?

(43/80) x 100 = 53.75%.

I know that was a mouthful of stuff, but it's kinda neat when you read into why those numbers work, and how they cause the plant to react and grow. :)
That is the same way I was taught when I did my Apprenticeship in Sheet Metal when we went through the testing and balancing of HVAC systems. Very well explained Thank you, I needed a refresher

(43/80) x 100 = 53.75%.

All that math and stuff we thought we'd never use years ago when we were in school. If they would have told us then that we'd be using it later in life to grow weed, we'd probably paid better attention. :ganjamon:

All that math and stuff we thought we'd never use years ago when we were in school. If they would have told us then that we'd be using it later in life to grow weed, we'd probably paid better attention. :ganjamon:

Feckin math!

You're absolutely right though. Had my chemistry and physics teacher told me this secret, I'd have aced his classes instead of skating by on the easy path. B's were easy, didn't take much, and were good enough for me. A's would have meant more work, and I thought I had better shit to do. :rofl:

You're absolutely right though. Had my chemistry and physics teacher told me this secret, I'd have aced his classes instead of skating by on the easy path. B's were easy, didn't take much, and were good enough for me. A's would have meant more work, and I thought I had better shit to do. :rofl:

My Chem teacher was that cool. He had us making cyanide gas (I can only imagine all the dead pigeons on top of the school near the exhaust hood vents), distilling alcohol, etc. For a demontration on equilibrium we played dodgeball in the lab. For exothermic reactions he made a batch of contact explosives and put tiny bits of it on the floor around the classroom, that and filling small plastic containers with Acetylene and O2. Steel wool and an extension cord with bared ends were his fuse. None of that would fly in today's environment. They'd think there was a school shooting every week with all the banging coming from his room.

They evacuated the the f'n school last time someone broke a mercury thermometer. :rolleyes:
We used to play with the stuff!

How about lithium? That chit is fun! :cheesygrinsmiley:

And we wanted to make some thermite, but we didn't have a good place to light it up!

What is your average temperature in your grow room?
I compiled some data for you in a table...here! :cheesygrinsmiley:
Hey Shed! I rarely have dried buds in that time and it normally takes 10+. Could I dry them quicker and still have tasty buds? I'm too cautious to move a fan closer which doesn't really dry the insides anyway. Would a dehumidifier be a good idea if I was careful? I'm worried that it'll suck the life out of them. This is mainly a problem I get in the summer.
The longer you can hang dry the less time you need to spend burping, so longer is better. Though it is important to drive the external moisture out quickly first to prevent mold. When my ambient RH is around 62% I will leave them hanging until I am in the mood to take them down!
RH is nothing more than an expression of the dew point.
Great multiSplain® mV! Relative humidity made clear. You should teach science class!

Bread post in the works...

Back
Top Bottom