InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

I compiled some data for you in a table...here! :cheesygrinsmiley:

The longer you can hang dry the less time you need to spend burping, so longer is better. Though it is important to drive the external moisture out quickly first to prevent mold. When my ambient RH is around 62% I will leave them hanging until I am in the mood to take them down!

Great multiSplain® mV! Relative humidity made clear. You should teach science class!

Bread post in the works...
Lol... I meant in your grow room, not outside...
Unless you are growing outside...
When it gets Summer here in Washington it will be harder to keep the room cooler.
What is the max temp for a growing room?
I know that you can grow them outside in the heat of the day, and basically they are weeds.

Sorry, yes...I grow outside! I thought that was clear from most of my posts. My plants come in at night to avoid the cold and to stay lit and avoid flowering until I'm ready to flip.

In terms of max temp for a grow space, mid 80s is usually about the top, and plants like a 10-15ºF swing from lights on to off as long as your minimum temp doesn't dip below 65-68º.

If you run CO2, high temps can get higher than that.

Great multiSplain® mV! Relative humidity made clear. You should teach science class!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It certainly is better than the other definition of "relative" humidity. Just sayin! :rofl:

If someone wanted to, focaccia would probably make the best cannabread, I think it uses the most oil. Plus it’s delicious.

I'm making Italian Sausage and Meatballs for dinner with a Vodka Sause and some Penne. I'm thinkin I'ma make some bread sticks too, just use the pizza dough recipe! Add garlic butter and, "Voila. Which is French for, and then I found out."

Lol... I meant in your grow room, not outside...
Unless you are growing outside...
When it gets Summer here in Washington it will be harder to keep the room cooler.
What is the max temp for a growing room?
I know that you can grow them outside in the heat of the day, and basically they are weeds.

Northern Lights was designed for warmer weather. I grew a nice bush outside this summer and so did @BeezLuiz. Both of us (randomly) got ours from Dope Seeds. He grew a monster while I had the little brother. Many factors to the difference but the NL loved the summer out here in Palm Springs where it gets into the 1-teens on the regular. Not much humidity that time of year, it doesn't hit til later in the summer. My point is, if you're looking for a high heat strain Northern Lights may be your ticket.

Sorry, yes...I grow outside! I thought that was clear from most of my posts. My plants come in at night to avoid the cold and to stay lit and avoid flowering until I'm ready to flip.

In terms of max temp for a grow space, mid 80s is usually about the top, and plants like a 10-15ºF swing from lights on to off as long as your minimum temp doesn't dip below 65-68º.

I saw your post on the plants outside...
I just didn't know if you had a grow Room.
If my room gets hot, the fan kicks in and sucks cool/cold air depending on winter or summer, from under the house through a filter so bugs can't come in.

Your a "Bi-Enviromental" farmer.

The Tuesday update will be all about bread, which is considered "off-topic" here so I can't put the pics in this thread. What I can do is link you to the individual pics in my gallery. I apologize in advance for the fact that I am making you look at two different pages for the information, if you bother looking at all ;). The Back button is now your friend.

After proofing (fancy work for rising) in the fridge for 24 hours, I uncovered the dough to find it hadn't proofed at all. It was still a lump of sticky dough. But that wasn't enough to deter me from finishing the process I started (and spent a lot of time on over the past week!), so I floured the top and prepared to bake it.

Since I didn't have any parchment paper, I thought I would cut up a brown paper bag to put the dough on. The paper makes it much easier to drop the dough into the Dutch oven, which has been pre-heated to 500ºF. (NB: some enameled Dutch ovens can not be heated empty. Mine is just cast iron.)

I flipped the bowl of dough onto the paper and scored the top with a clean razor blade. This is done to keep the dough from splitting in random places as it rises, which is normally what dough does when you bake it. You can see in the pic that it is still spreading! Gotta move fast...

Here is it dropped into the smoking hot Dutch oven. I set the oven to 450ºF and let it bake for 20 minutes with the lid on. Then it bakes another 20 minutes with the lid off.

I saw a recommendation to turn off the oven when it's done but leave it in there with the door cracked open for another 20 minutes. This is supposed to improve the crust. I did that because why the heck not.

Here it is out of the oven! Other than the weird shape caused by the spread against the paper, it looks like bread.

I let it cool a bit more and then tried peeling off the paper. Oof! It was stuck to most of the bottom and sides :(. But I did peel enough off to cut a few slices and try it.

It was a bit chewy and pretty sour, but toasted with butter it wasn't too bad, all things considered. Still, because it was coated in paper and too sour for the rest of my family to want, I tossed it along with the second ball of dough.

And then dumped half the remaining starter and fed the rest 50g of white flower, 50g of whole wheat flour, and 100g of distilled water. I mixed it all up and put it in the warmest room in the house. By this morning you can see it had doubled in size, but settled back down to about a 40% gain. Apparently this is normal.

So...what are the lessons for next time?

1. The longer you wait after feeding to add the starter to your dough, the more sour it is and the less active it is. So I'll be feeding it in the morning for use in the afternoon.
2. Buy parchment paper and flour it before you put the dough on.
3. Don't mess with the recipe. If it calls for 90% white and 10% wheat, use that!
4. Distilled is probably better for starter than water with chloramine.
5. Leave an hour between each turn-and-fold when the weather is cooler.

That's all I can think of for now, but any other suggestions are welcome! Thanks for listening, and thanks for all your input along the way. :ciao:

The Tuesday update will be all about bread, which is considered "off-topic" here so I can't put the pics in this thread. What I can do is link you to the individual pics in my gallery. I apologize in advance for the fact that I am making you look at two different pages for the information, if you bother looking at all ;). The Back button is now your friend.

After proofing (fancy work for rising) in the fridge for 24 hours, I uncovered the dough to find it hadn't proofed at all. It was still a lump of sticky dough. But that wasn't enough to deter me from finishing the process I started (and spent a lot of time on over the past week!), so I floured the top and prepared to bake it.

Since I didn't have any parchment paper, I thought I would cut up a brown paper bag to put the dough on. The paper makes it much easier to drop the dough into the Dutch oven, which has been pre-heated to 500ºF. (NB: some enameled Dutch ovens can not be heated empty. Mine is just cast iron.)

I flipped the bowl of dough onto the paper and scored the top with a clean razor blade. This is done to keep the dough from splitting in random places as it rises, which is normally what dough does when you bake it. You can see in the pic that it is still spreading! Gotta move fast...

Here is it dropped into the smoking hot Dutch oven. I set the oven to 450ºF and let it bake for 20 minutes with the lid on. Then it bakes another 20 minutes with the lid off.

I saw a recommendation to turn off the oven when it's done but leave it in there with the door cracked open for another 20 minutes. This is supposed to improve the crust. I did that because why the heck not.

Here it is out of the oven! Other than the weird shape caused by the spread against the paper, it looks like bread.

I let it cool a bit more and then tried peeling off the paper. Oof! It was stuck to most of the bottom and sides :(. But I did peel enough off to cut a few slices and try it.

It was a bit chewy and pretty sour, but toasted with butter it wasn't too bad, all things considered. Still, because it was coated in paper and too sour for the rest of my family to want, I tossed it along with the second ball of dough.

And then dumped half the remaining starter and fed the rest 50g of white flower, 50g of whole wheat flour, and 100g of distilled water. I mixed it all up and put it in the warmest room in the house. By this morning you can see it had doubled in size, but settled back down to about a 40% gain. Apparently this is normal.

So...what are the lessons for next time?

1. The longer you wait after feeding to add the starter to your dough, the more sour it is and the less active it is. So I'll be feeding it in the morning for use in the afternoon.
2. Buy parchment paper and flour it before you put the dough on.
3. Don't mess with the recipe. If it calls for 90% white and 10% wheat, use that!
4. Distilled is probably better for starter than water with chloramine.
5. Leave an hour between each turn-and-fold when the weather is cooler.

That's all I can think of for now, but any other suggestions are welcome! Thanks for listening, and thanks for all your input along the way. :ciao:

Hold on

So yer starter was or is done already!!!!

"The Tuesday update will be all about bread, which is considered "off-topic" here so I can't put the pics in this thread."

I may be missing something. But as long as your photos are placed in the "off topic" storage section, you can post them in your thread, or am I wrong?

yee haw your off and baking, won't be long now. I don't use parchment paper and I try to drop the loaf right in the center before scoring. way cool Shed
Thanks dynamo! I had visions of searing the back of my hand, especially since this stuff was an ever-expanding mass o_O . When I get to your level, maybe then. Thanks for setting me down this road!
Hold on
So yer starter was or is done already!!!!
Johnny Starter-seed sent me some. Oh look, he's already been here...
Yup, want some?:hmmmm:

"The Tuesday update will be all about bread, which is considered "off-topic" here so I can't put the pics in this thread."
I may be missing something. But as long as your photos are placed in the "off topic" storage section, you can post them in your thread, or am I wrong?
Not if you post them in a grow journal. I wasn't going to mention it to you because sometimes they don't get pulled and you worked so hard on those posts. But sometimes they do so I didn't want to attract attention.

Off-topic pics can be posted in the off-topic journals area.

Thanks dynamo! I had visions of searing the back of my hand, especially since this stuff was an ever-expanding mass o_O . When I get to your level, maybe then. Thanks for setting me down this road!

Johnny Starter-seed sent me some. Oh look, he's already been here...

Not if you post them in a grow journal. I wasn't going to mention it to you because sometimes they don't get pulled and you worked so hard on those posts. But sometimes they do so I didn't want to attract attention.

Off-topic pics can be posted in the off-topic journals area.

Hmm. That seems weird. But ok lol. Noted.

Back
Top Bottom